• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

3-jlks002.jpg

Still shooting fair with 700+ down the tube......grin!

Pat,

Being a 6.5 fan myself, I have viewed your post over the years. It would seem you have backed away from the 140 class of bullets to the 130s in your 260 and maybe your 6.5 SAUM.
I just recently rechambered my 260 Crusader to 6.5 SAUM. My 260 had always shot the 140 VLDs very well at a long ways at big Missouri Whitetails. Now my 6.5 SAUM is doing very well with the 140 VLDs. I never did try any of the 130 class of bullets.
I understand that the "Extreme 1-8.7 twist" may not handle the 140 class the best. I was just thinking with all the game you have taken with the 260 and the 130's if there was something I am missing by not using them?

Thanks,

Michael

Pat,

Being a 6.5 fan myself, I have viewed your post over the years. It would seem you have backed away from the 140 class of bullets to the 130s in your 260 and maybe your 6.5 SAUM.
I just recently rechambered my 260 Crusader to 6.5 SAUM. My 260 had always shot the 140 VLDs very well at a long ways at big Missouri Whitetails. Now my 6.5 SAUM is doing very well with the 140 VLDs. I never did try any of the 130 class of bullets.
I understand that the "Extreme 1-8.7 twist" may not handle the 140 class the best. I was just thinking with all the game you have taken with the 260 and the 130's if there was something I am missing by not using them?

Thanks,

Michael

I went to the 130's a few years back when I was testing .260 loads. They shot flatter(8.0 mils to 1000M VS 9.0) and seemed to hit just as hard. In the wind, I couldn't see much difference either. To me, 3000pfs VS. 2850 made more sense.

When I began testing loads for the 6.5 SAUM, I tried the 140 Hybrid, 139 scenar, 140 AMAX, and 140 VLD. They all shot great, I just like the extra speed of the 130 class bullets....plus I know they kill big game really well through using them in two different .260's for elk, mule deer, antelope and bears out to 700 meters.

The pointed 130gr Berger Hunting VLD's have a G1 of around .600. The 130gr JLK(unpointed) has very close to the same. I can use the same range card for both bullets. When my current supply of JLK's is depleted, I'll switch to the Berger's.

Pat,
How long is the brass lasting? I assume you've run some brass well over 10 reloads to see just how far they'll go?
Thanks!

I went to the 130's a few years back when I was testing .260 loads. They shot flatter(8.0 mils to 1000M VS 9.0) and seemed to hit just as hard. In the wind, I couldn't see much difference either. To me, 3000pfs VS. 2850 made more sense.

When I began testing loads for the 6.5 SAUM, I tried the 140 Hybrid, 139 scenar, 140 AMAX, and 140 VLD. They all shot great, I just like the extra speed of the 130 class bullets....plus I know they kill big game really well through using them in two different .260's for elk, mule deer, antelope and bears out to 700 meters.

The pointed 130gr Berger Hunting VLD's have a G1 of around .600. The 130gr JLK(unpointed) has very close to the same. I can use the same range card for both bullets. When my current supply of JLK's is depleted, I'll switch to the Berger's.

Thanks Pat. From my lessons learned with the 260 and 140 VLD. It liked to be pushed hard and you could only push them so hard in a 260. I thought maybe the 6.5 SAUM would give the 140 VLD a slight advantage. My 6.5 SAUM Crusader seems to like them all so far as well. Good problem to have...

Thanks again,

Michael

Pat,
How long is the brass lasting? I assume you've run some brass well over 10 reloads to see just how far they'll go?
Thanks!

xloads002.jpg

F=times fired.
T=times trimmed.

Primer pockets are still tight. I threw one piece of brass out with a split neck a few firings back....

Last edited:
Not to derail the thread, but if I am reading this correctly a guy could buy a Savage in a WSM caliber and get a 6.5 barrel chambered for this 6.5 SAUM and screw it on and be done? If a guy wanted to play with this caliber cheaply? Any one see any reason why this wouldn't work? Or just find a Rem 700 in a SAUM and get it rebarreled?

No "need" for a WSM/target action Savage...you'd be fine with a standard/small shank action.

Mr Sinclair-
why are you moving to the 130gr Bergers from the JLK? Is it just the price increase at JLK to $0.55/piece or is there a performance issue? Like you, I shoot the 130gr JLK and am burning thru my supply and wondering what to do once they are gone... thanks.

Availability more than anything.....almost impossible to get.

I haven't shot any of the new 136gr scenars in this rifle yet. Those shot lights out in my Crusader .260. I'm out of those right now, but will give them a run when I get some in.

Not to derail the thread, but if I am reading this correctly a guy could buy a Savage in a WSM caliber and get a 6.5 barrel chambered for this 6.5 SAUM and screw it on and be done? If a guy wanted to play with this caliber cheaply? Any one see any reason why this wouldn't work? Or just find a Rem 700 in a SAUM and get it rebarreled?

I'm with you Wegner, I just ordered a 300 wsm savage to start this project.

Yes that would work

sent my stock off to Greg B for a super secret stock painting job today!! and mounted a pst ffp 2.5-10, since I was too late on the march.

Extreme Hunter on order-Check
Brass 250 pcs 7mm-saum-Check
Primers-Check
Scope on order-Check
Dies on order-Check
Bullets I have-Check
H-1000 powder None in the state of New Mexico and I called all over Tucson and Phoenix. Any idea where to find any?

Did I ever get lucky on the H-1000 A friend is bringing 4lbs from Dallas next month. Another friend found a couple of pounds in Texas also and is bringing it to me this week. Then I get a call this morning from another friend in my home town and he has 8 pounder he didn't need.
I'm good to go on powder!!!!!

sent my stock off to Greg B for a super secret stock painting job today!! and mounted a pst ffp 2.5-10, since I was too late on the march.

post up the pics !

My 2.5-10x42 NF compact with the MOAR reticle will be here today. Think it is gonna be a great match for the Extreme hunter. Will get some pics posted up in next few days.

post up the pics !

My 2.5-10x42 NF compact with the MOAR reticle will be here today. Think it is gonna be a great match for the Extreme hunter. Will get some pics posted up in next few days.

Let's see some pics with the new NF!

Is the general consensus that APA BM using Alpha WSM mags are the most reliable for the 6.5SAUM? I do like the mag release on/inside trigger gaurd (Oberndorf?). I just want to make sure I am making the right decision for field reliable feeding for the 130 and 140VLD. Thanks in advance!

-Colt

Is the general consensus that APA BM using Alpha WSM mags are the most reliable for the 6.5SAUM? I do like the mag release on/inside trigger gaurd (Oberndorf?). I just want to make sure I am making the right decision for field reliable feeding for the 130 and 140VLD. Thanks in advance!

-Colt

Any M5 DBM will work well with the Accurate Mag WSM Mags or the alpha mags, the APA variant we use is best for hunting rifles in my opinion.

I don't remember if this has been talked about before. George maybe be the best one to answer it. Is there any performance disadvantage to doing the no-turn neck reamer? I know turning the necks will get some of the runout out of the cases. What other advantages are there for going with the neck turn reamer?

Any M5 DBM will work well with the Accurate Mag WSM Mags or the alpha mags, the APA variant we use is best for hunting rifles in my opinion.

Roger that thanks...And unless I am mistaken both Accurate and Alpha Mags require removal of front plate to accommodate OAL of the 140VLD?

Almost ready to go on mine :),
got 400 7mm Saum brass,
18lbs of H1000,
A Borden Alpine WSM Repeater,
Mcmillan Adj HTG, Brux 5 8.5 Twist Fluted,
Sunny Hill Floorplate.
Wyatts Box.

Got a 6.5 build sheet started with Ken this afternoon. Barkeep: give me a glass, I'm ready for some koolaid! Modified a few things from the original xtreme hunter specs. Just need to make my mind up on a barrel contour - bartlien #3 or #4...

I am about to place an order for this bad boy on monday but I still have one question..

All I can find on the Berger 130's is a bc of .552, how are you "tipping" them and getting .600? is this something I can do with limited reloading experience?

I have a bunch of 140 AMAX I use with my .260 but maybe my .260 might like these tipped 130's as well..

I am about to place an order for this bad boy on monday but I still have one question..

All I can find on the Berger 130's is a bc of .552, how are you "tipping" them and getting .600? is this something I can do with limited reloading experience?

I have a bunch of 140 AMAX I use with my .260 but maybe my .260 might like these tipped 130's as well..

Berger 130's are the ultimate for any 6.5mm rifle currently.

More info about pointing can be found here...

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-copper-creek-c4-bullet-pointing-service.html

I stepped them down in 2 sizes, .312, .294, then through 6.5 neck expander die, trim & neck turn to .015. This gives me a .295 loaded round with 130's for the no turn reamer. Josh @ CCA steps them down in 3 stages.

George- if I may I have a few Q:s,

living in Sweden and wanting a 6,5 S4 I realised I had to arrange for the build my self so I have ordered the reamer by the number given above in the thread, will my reamer be likely to have the new or old FB dimensions given that I guess you changed your design on the registered reamer print?

Second however more to the point and important, there are no 8,5-8,7 twist barrels in Sweden or Europe for that matter that I can get a hold of, would a 9 twist work if I have no intention of shooting heavier than 130 grain bullet? I did my math and I get a 1,23-1,3 factor in stability given the 9 twist, 130 berger VLD and suggested speeds at 15 Celcius is that sufficient, I have no place and will not shoot above 1 000 meters above sea level.

I might be able to get a 8,5 twist barrel by the middle of next summer however I would like to get started now. Best regards Chris

^^^
Thanks. What kind of action is needed for this caliber. I have a 308 s/a that's waiting to be re barreled to a 260 but may change my mind.

What about barrel twist, I see 8.5 and 8.7. Will a 8 twist work. Also those the barrel twist need to be specified as a GAP 4s?

Last edited:
Another wsm bites the dust.
Just got my rifle back from GAP yesterday! I couldn't be happier! About 7 weeks ago I sent them my Surgeon Scalpel in 7wsm and now it is a GAP 6.5 saum. cant wait to try her out this weekend!
Thanks again George!

25rcqs4.jpg

For those looking: I just picked up a few boxes of 300 SAUM Norma brass from MidSouth Shooters Supply.