• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

Duncan Salt Chuck, where the Pin is on this map!
ata2usyv.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

409475516.jpg

409475515.jpg

409475517.jpg

Bear Squared 76" 19.2" skull not a giant but not too shabby. I had a great time. Shot was 172 yards through the boiler room with a 130 berger Hunting VLD pointed. left a tennisball size exit. Bear went 20 yards and was done.

Thanks for the info re the funny looking primers with rem 700 bolts, has anybody else experienced the ejector marks and stiff bolt lift with supposedly mild loads and Virgin brass?

I like the idea of the 6.5 SAUM and the criteria that this concept meets.
Without reading all 46 pages can someone tell me what the criteria is again and what part of that criteria the 7 SAUM does not meet?

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks

Without reading all 46 pages can someone tell me what the criteria is again and what part of that criteria the 7 SAUM does not meet?

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks

The bullets available in the 6.5 to start...

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks

Jeffersonv,

This question has been answered many times in this post.

Here is a response from George from earlier.

Tim

I Have shot a 7mm WSM for as long as the cartridge has been out, in a 24" barrel you wont get but 2850 FPS with the 7mm SAUM the recoil is much greater. And you run into OAL problem with these bullets in the SAUM Case in a Short action.

There are many that can blow this cartridge/rifle away in a longer action and a longer barrel or shooting single shot in a short action, but none will compare within the guidelines of this project.

24" barrel
9 pounds or under with scope and sling and mag
short action
low recoil
keep at 58,000 PSI or less
at or under 6 mils to 1000
1000 ft lbs energy left at 1000 Yards

Just scored an 8 lb. keg of H1000 from a good friend. This stuff is like trying to find a unicorn. LOL. Let the games begin.

Regards, Paul

I finally decided to try the 130 VLD's along with 63gr. of H-1000 / FED 210M's / in REMINGTON brass .015" out of the lands and it was magic!! 3185 fps. NO PRESSURE SIGNS!!! Primers were still rounded on the edges!! Now I see how guys are getting more than 5 firings out of brass.. I was gettng flat primers & loose primer pockets after 3 firings with 60gr of H-1000 & 136 Scenars... Guess its due to the shorter bearing surface with the VLD's.

I finally decided to try the 130 VLD's along with 63gr. of H-1000 / FED 210M's / in REMINGTON brass .015" out of the lands and it was magic!! 3185 fps. NO PRESSURE SIGNS!!! Primers were still rounded on the edges!! Now I see how guys are getting more than 5 firings out of brass.. I was gettng flat primers & loose primer pockets after 3 firings with 60gr of H-1000 & 136 Scenars... Guess its due to the shorter bearing surface with the VLD's.

Bob,
Were you still using Remmy brass with your 136 Sceaner load?

Bob,
Were you still using Remmy brass with your 136 Sceaner load?

Negative sir, I was using Norma brass up until a good friend of mine sent me some Remington brass.. I tried the 130's with the Norma brass and for some reason or another they just didn't work as well as they do with the Remington brass. Believe me, I tried different charges, primers, seating depths.. etc. Then Bam! 130's seated at 2.850" OAL (.015" out) , Rem brass, 63.0gr. of H1000 and its like LIGHTENING!

Negative sir, I was using Norma brass up until a good friend of mine sent me some Remington brass.. I tried the 130's with the Norma brass and for some reason or another they just didn't work as well as they do with the Remington brass. Believe me, I tried different charges, primers, seating depths.. etc. Then Bam! 130's seated at 2.850" OAL (.015" out) , Rem brass, 63.0gr. of H1000 and its like LIGHTENING!

Well that's not what I was wanting to hear, I am wanting to use 139 Scenars and 140 Hybrids I have a few Remmy cases but since I have more Norma 7 SAUM cases I was hoping they would work better. My build will be done next week. I guess I can use them to get some rds down the tube and then switch. Are you saying the loads with Norma cases didn't shoot as good as the Remmy or just that the cycle count is better

You are a helpful man Jackson/Charvelfan1.

You answered exactly what I was asking about.

I have not been on top of this thread for a while and did not have the time to read all the pages.

Thank you.

Well that's not what I was wanting to hear, I am wanting to use 139 Scenars and 140 Hybrids I have a few Remmy cases but since I have more Norma 7 SAUM cases I was hoping they would work better. My build will be done next week. I guess I can use them to get some rds down the tube and then switch. Are you saying the loads with Norma cases didn't shoot as good as the Remmy or just that the cycle count is better

Actually, I had great accuracy with the 136 scenars and Norma brass but I just don't think the brass life is there. Five firings at the most before the primer pockets loosen up with a 60.0gr charge of H1000.

I am pretty sure psinclair has had good success and brass life shooting the 139 Lapua Scenar with 61.5gr H1000. See post #51 of this thread (page 2). He reports 3175fps without any pressure signs.

All with Remington brass. He uses Tula LRM primers I believe.

A lot of people are getting close to 3100 fps with 140 hybrids without pressure signs.

That being said, I have (I'm embarrassed to say) 3 different SAUM rifles/barrels and I'm getting some pressure signs with the 140 Hybrid load (61.0gr H1000) in one of them and haven't figured out why. Last time out, had stiff bolt lift and flat primers with 130VLD, but seating depth was too long, bullets jammed.

I know Skyking reported some pressure problems early on, but with Norma brass. Curious to hear some follow-up.

I don't get to shoot that much. I assume it is something small, but have checked neck thickness (.015). Brass is Remington 300 SAUM Copper Creek brass. Have trimmed necks to 2.018". Loaded OD of neck is .294".

Last edited:
I too have had pressure issues with 61.3 and 61.5 gr of H1000 with the 140 VLD in my rifle. I have to do some load development for that now. Just not a lot of free time to go shoot

I know all rigs are different and I'll find that sweet spot with mine, will be happy with 3050 to 3100 with 139-140gr. (I'm not greedy that what my turrets are for). I was just hoping for more cycles out of the brass available. I built this a as twiner between my 260 and my 7WSM (which brass is non existent for a yr) and this caliber is shaping up the same way. Oh well I'll just shoot the heck out of it and hope that George comes through later this yr or early next, got plenty of supplies to last and with this being a SB I can always fall back on the 260 barrel. Surprised that I didn't see any 6.5 4s at the cup this year but maybe I missed them, I think it would have done excellent in the conditions. Thanks for the input, can't wait to pick it up next week!

Last edited:
This is just food for thought. I had a problem 7saum. Turns out the headspace was a bit too long. So running the ragged edge I'd get sporadic pressures issues making sure I used some brake cleaner in the chamber and my rounds were somewhat clean of lube solved a bunch of it. I'll sometimes hit a sim round in my 6.5. Chalking it up to a greasy round. FWIW

I 'm in need of some help using the Redding Dies for my X-Hunter that I purchased from Copper Creek.
I can't seem to get the same reading from one to the next when seating the bullet. 2.895 oal is my setting depth I want but each time I will have to adjust the die to get there. It can be as much as 6 thousand difference.
I'm using 130 VLD hunting and pointed.
I have reset the seating die three times now per Redding info that came with the die. I also checked to the ojive instead of oal and get the same. Could some one please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks in advance.

I 'm in need of some help using the Redding Dies for my X-Hunter that I purchased from Copper Creek.
I can't seem to get the same reading from one to the next when seating the bullet. 2.895 oal is my setting depth I want but each time I will have to adjust the die to get there. It can be as much as 6 thousand difference.
I'm using 130 VLD hunting and pointed.
I have reset the seating die three times now per Redding info that came with the die. I also checked to the ojive instead of oal and get the same. Could some one please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks in advance.

First thing that comes to mind is this. How are you stroking the handle each time you go to seat the bullets? Are you compressing loads? Are your dies tight? What press are you using