• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

Same as I have for 35 years full stoke.
Using powder charge as discussed here 63.0 H-1000
Die is tight checked and rechecked
Retired old Rock chucker for a new one and have no issues with other loads.
I may have to call Redding tomorrow.

Sounds like it. Is the die cleaned out? I had one Redding that the spring was bad on it

Same as I have for 35 years full stoke.
Using powder charge as discussed here 63.0 H-1000
Die is tight checked and rechecked
Retired old Rock chucker for a new one and have no issues with other loads.
I may have to call Redding tomorrow.

Is the micrometer dial close to being bottomed out (near 0) or is it threaded way out when you get it set?

Mine would do the same, i called em and they sent out a new polished one also as stated needs to be the vld stem.
no issues since using the new stem.
Some guys chuck a bullet in a drill and using valve grinding compound spin it in the seater to smooth.

Thanks for the replies!! I talked to Redding and also Josh @CC and I guess it's not the dies.
Both are leaning towards the VLD bullets.
I can take and measure the oal and get 2.895 that I want and then measure that same round to the ojive and get 2.221 but after checking several that oal is 2.895 then check the ojive it can be any where from 2.221 to 2.232. So I check several of just the bullets and only find plus or minus 0.001.
Yes to the above using the VLD seating sleeve.
Guess I will try and polish the sleeve.

Last edited:
I use the same die with the 7mm VLD stem and just got finished loading 25 test rds with 140 Hybrids and they all came out fine 2.220" +/- .0005" and I loaded up 25 139 Scenars with the same results 2.230" +/- .0005". I have never had issues with the stem retaining clip on any of my Redding dies. Maybe I missed it but have you taken the die apart, cleaned and looked for auy possible burr's?

I use the same die with the 7mm VLD stem and just got finished loading 25 test rds with 140 Hybrids and they all came out fine 2.220" +/- .0005" and I loaded up 25 139 Scenars with the same results 2.230" +/- .0005". I have never had issues with the stem retaining clip on any of my Redding dies. Maybe I missed it but have you taken the die apart, cleaned and looked for auy possible burr's?

What charge are you using

They are just test loads, I pick up my rig this week. I'm using Norma 7 SAUM brass, 58.5-60.5 H1000. My smith made me a bump gauge with a 1" part of my barrel and used my reamer, it's pretty darn slick so I already know how far to seat out. It will only work while the barrel is new(as far as seating depth) but the bump gauge will last forever.

They are just test loads, I pick up my rig this week. I'm using Norma 7 SAUM brass, 58.5-60.5 H1000.

I'm also using Norma brass and running 59.1gr H1000 under a Hornady 140gr BTHP @3125fps. The barrel is a Hawk Hill Custom 27" with a 1 in 8.5" twist. I have 350 rounds down it. I have 200 Bergers arriving tomorrow to test this weekend. I'm quite pleased with this caliber so far and looking forward to stretching it out later this Summer.

I'm still trying to get my head around the problems I am have with erratic velocities and pressure. For example 140 amax and 61gr h1000 with a fed 215s velocities varied between 2980 and 3135 over five shots.I am thinking it comes down to neck tension, when I take a fired case I cannot fit a projectile in it by hand. Is this normal? Also can anyone help with a suggested oal with the berger 140vld and the new reamer with. 081 fb

I'm still trying to get my head around the problems I am have with erratic velocities and pressure. For example 140 amax and 61gr h1000 with a fed 215s velocities varied between 2980 and 3135 over five shots.I am thinking it comes down to neck tension, when I take a fired case I cannot fit a projectile in it by hand. Is this normal? Also can anyone help with a suggested oal with the berger 140vld and the new reamer with. 081 fb

You should be able to slide a bullet into the neck of fired brass. Your problem could be neck thickness. It's possible the brass is either too thick, or inconsistant, which is causing issues. Will a bullet not fit into any of your fired brass, or just some of them? What is the neck thickness you turn them to? If you don't neck thurn, this could solve the problem. It can be a PITA, but the end result is worth it IMO. If you already turn our necks, then someone who is much more knowledgable then I will need to chime in.

Another issue could be your crony. When working up a load for my 7 SAUM a few years ago, Jim See (former owner of Center Shot Rifles, now he's a smith at Surgeon) suggested that I leave the chrony at home and just shoot different loads (at my 300 yd zero) until I found one the rifle liked. Then shoot that load out to 1000+ yds and look at the verticle dispersion to judge velocity variance. The reason being, most chronys aren't accurate enough to take the numbers they spit out to heart. They will get you close enough to get you on target at long range, then you make your adjustments, and plug them into a ballistic program and it will tell you your velocity. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Exactly, the 130 Berger pointed has a BC of .600, the 140 JLK has a BC of .670 pointed, which is basicly where the 7mm 180's are. you can launch the 140's at 3300 out of the SAUM, at these pressures the barrel wont last long. So agin keep in mind the goal was to keep pressures at under 58,000 PSI So far of all the different combo's ive used there is one that sticks out.

130 Berger Hunting VLD Pointed BC of .600 63 grains H1000 COAL of 2.900 yeilds 3180-3200 fps and 55,000 psi from the 24" barrel on the XTREME Hunter. Its 3250 out of my 26" Match rifle. This puts is at 5.8 mils to 1000 Yards at 1500 ft DA. With extremely low recoil.

7mm WSM will come close to the same but at much higher pressure, with lower barrel life and alot more recoil.

Has their ever been a time when you had the XTREME Hunter, which is chambered in 6.5 SAUM, that you which you had a 7mm WSM instead? As in energy on impact, etc.?

I don't believe it is the chrono as it seems right in line and consistent when we shoot several other rifles over it. I think you could be right about the neck thickness as I am not turning my brass at this stage - running the 298 reamer, but some loaded rounds come slightly on the wrong side of 296.Will clean up the necks with a slight turn and see if this helps.

Has their ever been a time when you had the XTREME Hunter, which is chambered in 6.5 SAUM, that you which you had a 7mm WSM instead? As in energy on impact, etc.?
I will let George answer for himself but as for me my favorite caliber to shoot is my 7WSM w/180VLD's. Sending them at 3015fps the the energy down range is awesome and it gets there quick. That being said that's why I have a spare barrel ready to go. I am looking for this 6.5 SAUM to be the balance between my 260's and my WSM, I pick up mine hopefully this weekend and we will be able to answer that very question to ourselves, reduced recoil, longer barrel life, and hopefully satisfactory energy down range for that tweener caliber I have been searching for, I am also interested in seeing how it performs in strings when I shoot matches, Bone Collector on here does quite well with his that i have witnessed so I think it will turn out to be a win, win but time will tell.

Coming from having a 7saum,,,, I'm saying no. But, if I want more energy, I have other rifles....

I've only put 100 or so downrange with the 6.5, and its easily my favorite rifle, right now. Perfect deer, sheep, antelope,,,and some folks elk, rifle. It will be without a doubt my go to sheep gun for many years. If I ever relocate, it would still fill my antelope and deer tags

For me I'll go from 6.5, up to a 30 when needed,,,,and when really needed the 375. Specifically talking big game hunting, the current inventory for hunting arms is a 6.5saum, 300wm and a 375 ruger,

Last edited:
I will let George answer for himself but as for me my favorite caliber to shoot is my 7WSM w/180VLD's. Sending them at 3015fps the the energy down range is awesome and it gets there quick.

What is your setup for your 7WSM? I get just over 3000fps with 168VLD's and H4831SC.

What powder are you using?

What is your setup for your 7WSM? I get just over 3000fps with 168VLD's and H4831SC.

What powder are you using?
I run my 7WSM in my DTA so I have the ability to run 28" barrels/suppressed without all that length, powder is H1000.

Just scored some H1000 that I back ordered from Holland's and Gamaliel...not sure how much they have, and they might just be filling back order's, but wanted to give you guys a heads up...I had been searching for months...Hopefully it's starting to come back around!

Wow what a difference turning made! Turned necks to fifteen thou seated 130 vld 10 thou from lands with 63g h1000. Shot three three shot groups two in the .6 range and one just over .5. Consistent velocity averaging 3180 fps. Got a perfect 100 yard zero and ran it out on the five hundred plate. Ballistic program predicted 7.04 minutes. Actual drop was closer to 6 minutes. Using bergers stated bc of .552. Anybody else experienced this?

Just scored some H1000 that I back ordered from Holland's and Gamaliel...not sure how much they have, and they might just be filling back order's, but wanted to give you guys a heads up...I had been searching for months...Hopefully it's starting to come back around!

I've seen some around, but would like to get it "back to normal" for sure

Wow what a difference turning made! Turned necks to fifteen thou seated 130 vld 10 thou from lands with 63g h1000. Shot three three shot groups two in the .6 range and one just over .5. Consistent velocity averaging 3180 fps. Got a perfect 100 yard zero and ran it out on the five hundred plate. Ballistic program predicted 7.04 minutes. Actual drop was closer to 6 minutes. Using bergers stated bc of .552. Anybody else experienced this?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe shooters are using something closer to .6 BC to match their drops. Another thing to check could be your scope height. One issue I've had in the past was having the correct scope height in the ballistic computer.

I got my 6.5 4s build started and need to get a few magazines on the way. I was wondering if the alpha wsm mags or the accurate wsm mags were better to get and a good place to get them from. I also couldn't find a max col for the accurate mag. thanks

FYI, I hope this is alright to post, but I believe the site has listed their coupons forever. Midway has Norma 300 SAUM brass in stock now.

FYI, I hope this is alright to post, but I believe the site has listed their coupons forever. Midway has Norma 300 SAUM brass in stock now.

Shouldn't be a problem. I got the product arrival notification from them about an hour ago and ordered a box. I was going to let people here know but you beat me to it.

I got my 6.5 4s build started and need to get a few magazines on the way. I was wondering if the alpha wsm mags or the accurate wsm mags were better to get and a good place to get them from. I also couldn't find a max col for the accurate mag. thanks

I got my mags right from Accurate Mags. Mine measure 2.985"

So looks like I'm building another one on a t3 action mcmillan carbon fibre sako hunter stock. How much velocity increase is expected with 130s and 140s from a 26" vs 24"

409475516.jpg

Bear Squared 76" 19.2" skull not a giant but not too shabby. I had a great time. Shot was 172 yards through the boiler room with a 130 berger Hunting VLD pointed. left a tennisball size exit. Bear went 20 yards and was done.

I assume its been posted already but what size barrel are you running??

i just got my extreme hunter the other day. i cant wait to break her in.

Very Cool, Terminator Products (they use Scott for their gunsmithing) are building me a similar rifle at present and the wait is killing me.
26 in Barrel, Hunters Edge stock. Primary purpose is as a hunting rifle so will not be a heavy weight.

Hope mine is as good as yours.

Here it is, finally got it
imagejpeg02.jpg

409662523.jpg

409196658.jpg

409196643.jpg

More Redding Die Sets arrived today, 12 ready to go. Seater has been replaced with VLD stem and the Proper 6.5 Decaping rod installed. both .295 and .290 bushings included.

they are $278 + $12 shipping

Call Kenny or Tracey to Order (816) 221-1844

Last edited:
Welp took the plunge and ordered two extreme hunters, one lefty for myself and one righty for the old man. Manners EH3, painted multicam, etc.. Buy once, cry once right?! Can't describe how excited I am to get them!

Also wanted to give a huge shoutout to the guys at GA Precision (especially Ken) for putting up with multiple phone calls that had to have taken over an hour and several email exchanges.. Can't say enough to how helpful they were in making it happen! Now it's time to figure out a piece of glass :)

John

409662523.jpg

409196658.jpg

409196643.jpg

More Redding Die Sets arrived today, 12 ready to go. Seater has been replaced with VLD stem and the Proper 6.5 Decaping rod installed. both .295 and .290 bushings included.

they are $278 + $12 shipping

Call Kenny or Tracey to Order (816) 221-1844
am I retarded? I used the .295 bushing on some once fired 300 SAUM and the necks turned out like this... do I need to use larger bushings and then slowly size it down and then trim? uploadfromtaptalk1403239128068.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403239139350.jpg