• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New guy first build ?'s

Jwatson

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2012
Stephenville tx
Alright I've been floating around reading researching and taking it all in. So far this site has been amazing for information for any topic on long range precision shooting. So I'm just starting to really want to stretch my shooting beyond 400 yards out to a 1000 yards. Now my base for my first build is a savage 112 fv chambered in 223 sitting in a choate tatctical stock fun cheap round great for plinking and 300 to 400 yards.

9eff91f8.jpg

bd80e8cd.jpg

Now I have a barrel company picked ER shaw I know their not the greatest but as of now it seems like a good barrel for the group buy price of 158 dollars. Now I'm not rich I'm 20 living on my own and my budget isn't huge but I'm open to any and all suggestions on barrel makers. Now as far as caliber I'm looking at one of these three the 260 Remington, 6.5 creedmore, and 6.5 Grendel. Heres a little background on why I picked these now the Grendel isn't the best of the three but as far as parts I only need barrel bolt face and ready to shoot can use the internal magazine that Is in the rifle. The other two rounds I've read great things about and with reloading I will always have rounds on hand and the creedmore even though hornaday only produces the brass If im not mistaken is available.

So in all my main questions are

1. Best barrel for the money and will a ER shaw get Me to a 1000 yards? If not what's the best alternative
2. Best round for shooting that far? Now my rifle is a short action so keep that in mind.
3. Best stock that I can buy later on that isn't going to break the bank.
4. Is truing/blueprinting really worth the money to do to this rifle? What kind of gunsmithing should I get done to the rifle to help the accuracy?
5. Will my acutrigger bolt and other stock parts on the rifle need to be replaced?

Now I know I'm new and some people hate the newbies and their stupid questions. But I'm doing this all on my own I lost my father at a very young age so my love for shooting is coming from my heart and I want to one day hopefully pass this on to kids I hope to have if not to the next generation after me to keep the passion going because getting out and actually learning how to shoot responsibly and accurately is vastly disappearing to the modern shooting video games. Any and all information good or negative is appreciated I'm living and working in Stephenville Tx and if theirs any experienced long range precision shooters close to my area that can help me transition from your everyday hunter/ mid range shooter into a well knowledge long range shooter is something that will be forever appreciated.

Re: New guy first build ?'s

Welcome to the Hide and also to long range shooting. You're off to a good start with the gun you have and it's easily upgradable as your skills and need for higher end components become apparent. You don't need top of the line equipment to be competitive at most matches or for your own enjoyment. Any of the 6.5s you mentioned are perfect for shooting out to 1000 yards and your stock Savage is plenty of gun to be in the mix at most matchs once you do your part.

Nothing wrong with that Choate stock either, it's not what the snobs might choose but is plenty good for starting out. I have a friend that has 3 of them on his Savages and there isn't much he can't hit out to 1000 yards at our matches. A lot of it is personal choice and there are better ones out there but skill is still the major factor when shooting long distances.

The accutrigger is a kind of love it or leave it thing with shooters, I personally love it but I'm not a trigger snob and after years of not having great triggers and learning pretty good trigger control I find the accutrigger to be very good and will serve you well until you find you are ready for an upgrade.

Shame you aren't closer to Ohio, we always love to have new long range shooters join us for practice or the matches. The way I see it, if an experienced shooter can't take the time to offer help to a new shooter and pass along things they've learned and only ignores or looks down their nose at them for their skills or equipment then they are still lacking in areas of what constitutes a true sportsman and competitor.

Hope you enjoy your new found sport and find others to shoot with in your area. After a few times out and visits to some long range matches you'll start to see things that you will want and need for your own advancement. Do it for the love of shooting and don't get caught up in the "I have to buy the best" to shoot because usually the lack of skill can't be overcome with lots of money spent on the best stuff. That will just lead to frustration and takes the fun out of it really fast.

Good luck

Topstrap

Great advice right there ^^^

I have the Choate Tactical stock on my Stevens 200 and don't see why some people don't like it, it certainly doesn't have the best finish, but its fine as far as I'm concerned!

As far as the E.R. Shaw barrel, I also have one the Stevens, so far it has been a great barrel, good accuracy, well made. I bought the kit that has the nut wrench and all for $200 and never looked back. You may also look at Shilen or Criterion for drop in Savage barrels...they are a little more pricey though! I think the E.R. Shaw would be fine though...works for me! Hope this helps and good luck! Nice build so far by the way!

First off, pretty impressive mindset for a 20yr old. Most kids today cant look to the end of next week, let alone what they want to do when they have kids of their own.

As for your cartidge choices, I eliminate the Grendel for serious 1000yd use. I have one in an AR and it is great at 800 or so, but lacking at 1000. The hits I have at 1000 with it, I think the bullet struck the BACK of the target! The trajectory is so arched. The other two have their merits, but the 260 would be my choice.

In regards to your other questions, get the barrel that you want on it first and learn with it a little. Your experiences will tell you where to invest in next.

Rob

So far it seems that the parts I'm looking at are good choices for a starter gun. Now does bolt fluting, bedding the stock and other types of modifications really make a difference? I've never shot to a 1000 yards before I just want to make sure I have a capable safe accurate rilfe before I get training on shooting that far.

The best bang for your buck would be to bed the action. Either yourself or have it done. Lots of good tutorials on the web. +1 for the .260. Good Luck. Paul.

260 hands down. and i agree bed the action. the bolt fluting is just for looks. i dont blame you, it looks badass. gotta get rid of that center point scope if ur thinking 1000 yard shots. i didnt see u mention an optic and thats pretty important. you can go as crazy as u want with how much money u spend. i recommend the vortex pst. best bang for your buck imo but the super snipers are descent to and quite a bit cheaper. good luck with everything, you have definitely come to the right place for these type of questions. welcome to the hide

I plan on optics as the last step before my training in long range shooting. The scope on it works for it's purpose as of now but plan on getting something along the lines of a super sniper/vortex/or a few others brands I've researched. I do like the bolt fluting SSS does IMO it's cool looking and cheap and I'll have to look up how to bed the action. I know this isn't the optics section but what power scope will work the best for a thousand yards? So far the 260 seems like the better round and it's availability and manufactures is better than the 6.5 creedmoor.

We have 2 4-16 PST and one of the new SS 5-20 from the group buy. Both have been excellent scopes. I'd like to see the 6-24 PST but if I was to recommend one now based on what we've tried I'd have to pick the SS 5-20. It's been very reliable and tracks perfectly and has very good glass. My son is using it on our new Savage 260 and is VERY happy with it. He got the chance to look thru a Premier and admits it's not as good as the Premier but not $2000 better.

Nothing wrong with the 4-16 PST either, only thing I've found is the crosshairs are a bit thick and will nearly cover up an 8" target at 1000 yards but very seldom do we shoot at it in a match anyway since they are being used on our long range pistols and their group at that distance is slightly bigger than the target anyway.

I don't think I'd put off a better scope as one of your last upgrades, I'd pass on the fluting and other fluff and go with some upgraded optics sooner rather than later. You can't hit what you can't see and when you make an adjustment you want it to be right every time. Lots of matches are won with good quality stuff but more with great skills.

Like I mentioned before you don't need to go overboard spending beyond what you are comfortable with. If you are buying just in the hopes of getting more hits instead of keeping up with your increasing skills you'll become close friends with frustration.

Good luck, have fun

Topstrap

i have the 6-24 and i love it i think they are better than the leupolds. i agree on the bolt fluting comment on skipping it and using your money on other things. i think once you have your rig and its shooting well u can start adding cosmetic things to it. save your money, keep an eye on the classifieds and youll come across a great deal on an optic.

This rifle will not be done till summer because of barrels delivery date an so on. Due to moving into a new house and being busy at work the scope will have to wait till I have more funds and time to shoot. When I mean it's the last thing I'll do it will be the one of the last things i get before I shoot and do load development. Once that's all done I will actually start the training of shooting that far. The range I go to will let you shoot out to 500 yards without qualification and I'm conferrable to that yardage. It's 500 to a 1000 that I will be taught the proper way to safely and accurately shoot. When it's all said and done Ill have just over 1000 into it including optics which is great I'm really suffering from lack of money because reading as seeing all these amazing guns that I want. I'm already looking at doing another build in a larger caliber when this one gets done.