• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes New Guy - Just bought a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x

bricktop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
State College, PA
Hey Everyone, FNG here. Just bought a Bushnell Elite Tactical 4200 FFP 3-12x. On a college budget here, so wanted to find something that had a good bang for the buck, and it seemed to get fairly good review here (did a lot of research here on what to buy, thanks everyone for the reviews, comments, etc.) Well, it wasn't all I hoped for. The turrets were kinda mushy and it was super sensitive to eye position - was hard to get rid of the black donut. I got it back in the box now to return it. I really want to get my money's worth since I don't get a whole lot of it - but I don't want something cheap.

Next time, I think I'm just gonna get what I really want - a Leupold LR/T with M5 turrets or a IOR 3-18 Hide Edition. I had a few questions on the IOR though...

Side note that my main buy requirements were mil reticel/miladjust, side focus, and adj. zoom with max zoom at least 12x or more and min zoom 4x or below. Illumination not necessary but ok.

http://swfa.com/IOR-3-18x42-Tactical-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P8937.aspx

Says it's a Hide edition of course. Did a group a fellas here come up with a list of specs and IOR just made a model, or did they go and make the model themselves? Also, what is the 4th gen model? What were the issues with Gen's 1-3? I tried searching but my google-fu must be rusty.

Also, does anyone have the Leupold with M5 turrets; if so, how do you like them?

Thanks for your help.

Re: New Guy - Just bought a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x

Since you are sensitive to eye placement you might want to consider the IOR 3-18x50.It was new for 2010.It has a generous eyebox.It's not so critical of eye placement.

However that 3-12x44 is a great scope!!!For now you should work on getting either the optimal height rings to allow your eye to be looking strait down the scope or a stock with a adjustable cheek piece so you can align your eye strait down the scope.Then it's just a matter of practice after that,repetition...You have to get used to it,then you'll be fine.

It could be that you've got the scope a little too far forward or backward also.Take the time to get everything set perfectly for you and especially for the shooting position you'll be using most.

Mushy turrets?

None of the many Bushnell Elites I have had anything even resembling mushy turrets. There is no sound, but the clicks are tactile and very noticeable.

If you go with an IOR, go with the 3.5-18x50. From what I've read, it is a better built scope than the Hide edition, and the eye box is far more forgiving.

I have one on my 6.5 Grendel, and it's the best glass I've used (best reticle too). Turrets are incredible.

Yeah I too tried the Bushy and was not impressed at all with the turrets sometimes the clicks where felt others not so much, this was a demo at a local gun store so who knows how many people touched the ones I was trying out. I always work the turrets up and down a few hundred time when I get any new scope just to work the grease and before I do any sort of zero or box testing. If you are on a budget and are just looking for mil/mil and super clarity and great turrets sightron just released some new scopes that are great and have huge elevation adjustment(something IOR and Bushy have little) and really nice turrets unlike the bushy. But note that the sightron are not a FFP. Another choice would be the viper PST although personally I have never looked through one only the Razor.

Thanks for the comments everyone. The turrets weren't the main issue, by the way. I'm sure I could have finagled them to be more tactile by removing grease or something. The eyebox was my biggest complaint. I don't have issue with getting an image in the plane perpendicular to the scope - a good cheek will fix that. But image changes with movement of the eye along the scope axis bugged me.

On my Luepold VX-II, for instance, if you start with your eye very close to the scope eyepiece, the image starts as a black tiny donut. As you move your eye away from the scope, the donut gets larger gradually until the image is a complete circle with full field of view, and there is a bit of black around the outside up until the radius of the eyepiece. Moving back further, the image will simply remain filling the eyepiece for several inches of eye travel with no more black donut.

With the 4200, as soon as the black donut opened up to fill the eyepiece image (giving the full field of view), and moving the eye further away again, the donut immediately reappeared and the image shrunk. It was hard to get the eye to the perfect position along the scope axis to have the image fill the eyepice but not be in one donut region or another (even on the lowest zoom).

I don't know if it's my eyes or something, but it bugged me, especially since my other scope (of half the price) didn't do this. Maybe most scopes with these features do this?

The other thing was the illumination, that pretty much advertised location out the objective. It was also brighter on the vertical axis of dots than the horizontal axis, which bugged me.

I donno, I am fairly new to this - but I wasn't gonna hold on to something (past the return period) that I wasn't really happy with.

Just received my Bushnell Elite Tactical 4200 FFP 3-12x and also the Tactical 4200 FFP 6-24x. I searched Google to find any issues with the turrets that I have on the 3-12x. There is no crisp click for each notch on the turret, both elevation and windage turrets. The turrets are kind of stiff in a residue kind of way. The 6-24x has nice crisp turret clicks.
I called Bushnell. They advise there are two types of grease they use on these scopes, that they must have used the wrong grease on these turrets. They advised me to send it to them or exchange it where I purchased the scopes. These are already two replacement scopes for the two I received with crunched boxes (Illum. switches popped through the all layers of the packaging).
The 3-12x also has a area of brown residue stuck between the illum. switch and it's housing. Like the assembler dribbled some lunch in there or something...
God, more shipping, cost, waiting... I may just return them. A deal is only a deal if the stuff is right.

I really like mine so far, it's my first mil-mil and after the first day out I realized what i has been missing out on. Box tested perfect and glass is better than my nikon. I really wanted a nightforce but when they discounted almost half I couldn't pass it up, even had enough money left over for a new 5r

How are the turrets? Nice "dry" clicks or muddy notchs??? 3-12 is for my 20" Tactical and the 6-24x is for my 5R. May just have to invest some more beans to get the quality...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are the turrets? Nice "dry" clicks or muddy notchs??? 3-12 is for my 20" Tactical and the 6-24x is for my 5R. May just have to invest some more beans to get the quality... </div></div>

In my experience, they are less tactile than a NF, but much better than just about anything else in this price range.

There isn't an audible sound, but the click is very noticeable and tactile.

In case you're wondering, I own a NF (had another that I sold), an IOR, and a slew of Bushnells.

when I got my bushnell 10X the turrets sucked, the turret caps had a bunch of grease under them. cleaned some of it off and they felt a lot better.

No grease under the 3-12x's turrets. Grease is internal. But I don;t know if I buy Bushnell's explanation of "we must have used the wrong grease". Like I say my 6-24x has acceptable turrets, the 3-12x no way.

dosent quite fit your requirements but give the SS10X42HD a look... ships for around $800

And therein lies the hitch...
A mil/mil FFP 3-12x44 with great glass for under $540
A mil/mil FFP 6-24x50 with great glass for under $630
Both are even illuminated (as far as price is concerned).

So, I guess it will be a compromise one way or another.
(I know, I know... someone will say it's always a compromise. Very true.)

Sending the 3-12x44 back for replacement (again!). Hopefully the next one will have turret action similar to the 6-24x50.

I just got mine from Natchez last night and maybe I was just lucky, but both the elevation and windage turrets have very distinctive increments. They are also very smooth in rotation. The clicks are somewhat audible, but as long as they are nicely tactile, I'm happy.

Now comes the fun part, mounting it. My Seekins rings should be here today and I already have a Warne one piece mount. I have an old Bushnell boresighter, I'll see how that works.

Mine is on it's way back to Natchez (again...), 3rd times a charm? For features, these scopes are worth twice the price. They just have to be right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is on it's way back to Natchez (again...), 3rd times a charm? For features, these scopes are worth twice the price. They just have to be right. </div></div>

Yep. I bought a Weaver TGS 3-10x to hold me over till I buy something pricier. Didn't want to take a second chance on the Bushy.

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to regret not picking one up while they are at this price. Mine is due to hit the door step tomorrow
smile.gif

I agree. These are no ordinary scopes... Variable power, Mil/Mil, First Focal Plane and even illuminated reticle thrown in for good measure.

If a scope company even makes such a beast, what's the cost of one... can you even find one for under $1500?

So, I can live with Bushnell idiosyncrasies. I can not live with defects. My fingers are crossed and I'm sure my wait will be rewarded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree. These are no ordinary scopes... Variable power, Mil/Mil, First Focal Plane and even illuminated reticle thrown in for good measure.

If a scope company even makes such a beast, what's the cost of one... can you even find one for under $1500?

So, I can live with Bushnell idiosyncrasies. I can not live with defects. My fingers are crossed and I'm sure my wait will be rewarded. </div></div>

Vortex Viper PST
laugh.gif

Seriously though, I have a 6-24x50 PST on order (since June), but bought two of the Bushnell scopes because they were such a good deal. Don't even have the rifle to mount them on yet. Crazy.

Anyone know what height Badger rings to go with a 20 MOA Badger rail on a Rem 700 Varmint 308 for the 3-12x44 Bushy???

This Bushnell is out of stock at Natchez and a few other places I checked tonight. Thank goodness I ordered when I did. Whew!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know what height Badger rings to go with a 20 MOA Badger rail on a Rem 700 Varmint 308 for the 3-12x44 Bushy??? </div></div>

I'm running a 56mm objective in Badger medium highs. You won't need more than a medium, or lower.

Look at the how to determine rings you need sticky at the top of the forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know what height Badger rings to go with a 20 MOA Badger rail on a Rem 700 Varmint 308 for the 3-12x44 Bushy??? </div></div>

I'm running Badger Alloy Lows (P/N 306-16 MAX-Alloy) along with Badger 20 MOA Alloy Base(P/N 306-06A Short action, 20 MOA cant, ALLOY) with a Bushy 3-12x44mm. Barrel is a 26" Factory Rem Varmint, as shown below:

DSCF0602.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RugratRem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This Bushnell is out of stock at Natchez and a few other places I checked tonight. Thank goodness I ordered when I did. Whew!! </div></div>

Yeah just saw this post. I'd taken one but once again I miss out on a deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeping Death</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RugratRem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This Bushnell is out of stock at Natchez and a few other places I checked tonight. Thank goodness I ordered when I did. Whew!! </div></div>

Yeah just saw this post. I'd taken one but once again I miss out on a deal. </div></div>

I don't think *anyone* has the 6-22x50 available anymore. MidwayUSA still has the 3-12x44; a tad high price that Natchezss had it, but still a good deal: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/default.aspx?productnumber=325361

My turrets have gotten better since I first gotten the scope. I always liked them but the more I shoot and adjust them the more solid they feel

Bought one from natchezss. Can't really complain about the product for the price. We all know that quality doesn't come cheap. That being said if you expect a thoroughbred, you better be willing to pay for one. For less than $600, I can't really ask for anything more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.Long</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought one from natchezss. Can't really complain about the product for the price. We all know that quality doesn't come cheap. That being said if you expect a thoroughbred, you better be willing to pay for one. For less than $600, I can't really ask for anything more. </div></div>

Roger roger. I received my Weaver 3-10x TGS mil/mil on Friday, and I must say it is pretty nice, though. Saving $300 for not having FFP and (sub-par) illumination seems like a deal to me.

^^^ second that^^ I took my to 750yds for the first time Sunday without issues

Here is the 6-24x50 Bushy in Badger Lows on a 20 MOA base.
OK for a 50, but higher than I would normally like it.
CIMG1715a.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the 6-24x50 Bushy in Badger Lows on a 20 MOA base.
OK, for a 50 but higher than I would normally like it.
CIMG1715a.jpg
</div></div>

Is that an EGW base?

No, it's the Badger 20 MOA base (306-06).

Since we're at it...
RE: Badger rings - I always wondered why when you see photos of the rings, the top half seems not to match the bottom half. Turns out, that's because the bottom half's sides go straight up, no curve. Makes sense when you think about it, but upon quick thought you would think it would just be two half circles.

The Badger rings to Badger base fit is awesome!!! I put the alignment tools in there and they line right up no lapping needed.

Now I am just wondering if 20MOA is too much for a 20" 308...
CIMG1727d.jpg