• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Guy question.

kdog70

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Marquette, Mi
Hello all. I've been lurking through all the forums for a while now and finally got a question for you all.

Local Pawn shop has a Sako 338 Lapua. It looks like a normal hunting rifle but with a aftermarket brake on it. No round count or any information on it really what is it worth money wise? I want it for long range white tail deer, predator, steel anything really that comes into the cross hairs.

I live in Marquette, mi not a lot of long shots available but I can find 600yards easy its of the over that gets hard. I shoot a Savage Target Action with a Shilen 1 in 8 27 inch 260 AI. I also have a Rem 700 bone stock minus a trigger job and a 1 in 7.5 barrel cut for the 115 Dtac. Some other assorted calibers in there but nothing in the big bores yet. Is the Sako the way to start?

thank you
kdog

Re: New Guy question.

338 lapua is not a very cheap caliber to shoot, unless you are going to reload. I had a 338 lapua but sold it and downsized to a 300 win mag. Not many places to shoot more than 500 yards around where I live. Great gun if the price is right.
grin.gif

kdog,

Considering the distances you shoot,buying a 338L might not be worth the extra expense.

It would be fun to play with for a while but I think you will find yourself leaving it at home and taking the 260AI out instead.

You can always sell it though if you get tired of it.If you can get it cheap enough you might even be able sell it for a profit.Who Knows?
smile.gif

Steve

Dang you talk me out of it. Suppose I will just build/get a 6ppc instead for short range fun.

Send me some details of the guns and maybe I have to research those rounds because I do not know very much about them.