• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New here, my new 700P, and my home install knob

ssgtcarroll

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
Well first real post. Heres pics of my new 700p.

Also shown is my home install bolt knob. Done with just a file, dremal, tap die, and LOTS of patience.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

Took it out Sunday did a 4 inch group with probaly 15 rounds. Gotta say I shake way to much off just a bi-pod. Soon a accu-pod will be in order.

Also I have seen notes of tig welding the handle to the bolt. Were/how is this done?

gun003.jpg

gun002.jpg

gun001.jpg

Re: New here, my new 700P, and my home install knob

I am no John Wayne by any means, so please confirm with the shooting gods first, but IMHO your money might be better spent on a trigger job rather than a rear monopod if your new rifle doesn't have one already. If this is the case, romping on a 6+ pound trigger will affect your grouping a little.

Practice dry firing. Get a 1 lb. bag of rice and put it in an old sock for a rear support.

That knob looks great, congrats! I had a member here install one on mine. I'll be sending him another soon.

Best way to learn in this situation, every range I've ever been to has some type of front rest and sometimes even rear rests. try and find a way to mount the rifle as securely as possible using the stuff provided at the range, this will take everything except your shaking out of the equation. Now you can focus on being steady while having a little more support than just your bi-pod until your ready to shoot off the bi-pod. I also agree with Louis, A trigger might be better suited than anything, I would try to get something with a 1 1/2lb pull or less.

great job on that bolt handle man. way to tackle it old school. great results too. most tig talk i hear of is welding the handle to the bolt body. there are a few members here that do it, i have a savage so i cant say who does that work, but someone will chime in. threads look clean and straight man, nice work

Heres a better picture of the finished knob.

IMG_0872.jpg

Nice rifle! I have one just like it. I just ordered a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T scope for mine. I'll put pictures up once I get it and install it. At what range did you shoot that 4 inch group?

I hate to say it but 100 yards. Not happy with it at all but being my first time ever shooting a high power bolt action rifle I hope you guys can forgive me!

I know for a fact its me through, not the rifle.

I did play with the 40x trigger tonight. Hopefully helps too.

Gonna try the sock with rice idea. I really do like those mono-pods through. I like the idea of having it on the rifle at all times.

What I was doing is putting my fist under the rear of the stock by the stud in a fist. Squeeze to lower, release to raise. Lets just say after about 3 rounds the shake was very visable in the scope.

I think the reaction to the 308 isn't there yet either.

That's a sub MOA rifle and you'll be shooting it that way in no time. Just get comfortable with it and if you think the mono-pod will help, then so be it. I personally use the fist method like you explained but the sock and rice idea sounds pretty good too.

Hell of a job on the bolt. And I also say +10 for trigger jog/ new jewell or timney. And more range time. I have good days and I have days I just want to pack up and get drunk. But, I go home , tumble, load and wait for the next day.

Do the trigger work yourself. There are tons of tutorials on line. When I had a 700p, I had it down around 2.5-3 lbs with no take up and a nice clean break.

Josh

Try shooting around 10 - 12 power on the scope. That will take most of the shake out.

Be sure to properly torque the receiver to the stock. That is an easy thing to overlook with a new rifle. Put pressure on the muzzle to press the lug against the bedding block, tighten the front to 65 in/lbs and then the rear. Some guns run better even tighter. 115 is a fairly safe upper limit.

Also, go to Federal Gold Medal ammo or Black Hills 168 or 175s. Consistent ammunition is everything in the sub MOA game.

I tried messing with the trigger myself. Bent two allen wrenches trying to brake two of the set screws loose. Tried clp, wd40, and some heat. No go.

So Jewell trigger will be on the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i have a savage so i cant say who does that work </div></div>

Rub it in AXE...
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i have a savage so i cant say who does that work </div></div>

Rub it in AXE...
wink.gif
</div></div>

Its ok I went down to my local Army, Marine, Navy, Coast Guard, and Air Force base to compare my bolt to a Savage...but they didn't have any in inventory for some reason...

Sorry that wasn't nice. Just teasing.

Can someone inform me on the best epoxy to afix the knob permently now?

Red locktite ought to work fine.

I like your work there. I do a lot of work with files myself and am now motivated to try this.

Don't neglect looking into a RifleBasix trigger as well.

Just did mine...Tac Ops Knob, Badger M5 and HS Precision stock. Big outlay of cash....Next a scope. Turned my varmint gun, a 700 SPS Tactical into somthin more. My first build of a rifle. Took me two days and countless research about inletting the stock. Dremmel and a finish router did the trick. Any suggestions?

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01422.jpg

DSC01416.jpg

Good job on the bolt knob with the tools u had.