• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New here, Seeking Advice/Build for AR-15 5.56

great gun yes you should find one you like and buy it .I'd make sure you can get a ton of ammo if you do get it you might find the ammo much harder to find in the future as well as mags and replacement parts . best of luck with what ever brand you go with .

You mentioned you want to shoot the gun at 20 yards. That’s kind of weird unless your practicing to use it as a brawler. I have 2 custom ARs A 15 and a 10. Both are half MOA but honestly I think gas guns are kind of gay at this point. I’ll stick with my bolt action rifles. I mean don’t get me wrong I like my ARs and they can do double taps and all that shit but MEH. I’m not into multi shot blasts (pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop)
Okay pop pop, time for your medication.

• Haha
Reactions: XikoPlavi

Attachments

• 951951CA-335D-4CE9-81A9-8564E944A98B.gif
    951951CA-335D-4CE9-81A9-8564E944A98B.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
Damnit the GIF ain’t moving until you click on it. Anyway, you get the girl version of the folding chair GIF. Don’t you have some gender morphing to do

Good afternoon everyone,

New to this forum. I am fairly experienced with handguns and know a bit about semi-auto rifles, but I am not comfortable enough with my own knowledge to go out an build my own AR without some advice and assistance from more experienced builders. That is why I have come here seeking some knowledge/opinions from this community in order to build an AR that will last me for my lifetime if I am to never build or purchase another one.

Basic Specs I am looking to stay within:
- 16 - 18 inch barrel (open to thoughts on which one I should get if I am to only own one AR)
Total $$$ for the build (not including fancy sights or glass) should not be more than $1300 but willing to go as high as $1500 if deemed absolutely necessary in order to get the BEST bang for my buck)

I have come across some opinions about a LaRue UUP kit, thoughts?

Appreciate the help everyone

Long story short - I want to build an AR for between 1300-1500 that will give me the best shooting experience that money can buy and build an AR that will last my life time that is good enough to never NEED to buy a second one because this one is just so dang good. :)

EDIT - I have owned a Core 15 AR and used that as my "entry" AR but now looking to buy/build an ideal/ close-to-perfect AR

EDIT - Also open to what Twist you guys recommend: 1:7 vs 1:8

Wait for Geissele to have a sale and they will be under $1500. I'd personally grab the 14.5" over the 16" but whatever floats your boat.

If you want to learn about building there are a plethora of resources out there. Maybe start off cheap and learn. This will also give you an appreciation when you buy better parts and realize the effort in innovation, surface finishing and coatings that separates the nicer parts from the cheaper parts.

You will also figure out what you like/don't like during your learning process.

With all due respect, there is no "perfect" anything. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You need to decide exactly what you want to it to do, then research info from guys who use it for that. Then you can filter out pros and cons. If we were all to describe our "perfect" AR, you'd have hundreds or thousands of answers. Hell, I have several "perfect" ARs, none of which resemble one another. Suggestion- go buy a quality AR that has the features that you like.

Good afternoon everyone,

New to this forum. I am fairly experienced with handguns and know a bit about semi-auto rifles, but I am not comfortable enough with my own knowledge to go out an build my own AR without some advice and assistance from more experienced builders. That is why I have come here seeking some knowledge/opinions from this community in order to build an AR that will last me for my lifetime if I am to never build or purchase another one.

Basic Specs I am looking to stay within:
- 16 - 18 inch barrel (open to thoughts on which one I should get if I am to only own one AR)
Total $$$ for the build (not including fancy sights or glass) should not be more than $1300 but willing to go as high as $1500 if deemed absolutely necessary in order to get the BEST bang for my buck)

I have come across some opinions about a LaRue UUP kit, thoughts?

Appreciate the help everyone

Long story short - I want to build an AR for between 1300-1500 that will give me the best shooting experience that money can buy and build an AR that will last my life time that is good enough to never NEED to buy a second one because this one is just so dang good. :)

EDIT - I have owned a Core 15 AR and used that as my "entry" AR but now looking to buy/build an ideal/ close-to-perfect AR

EDIT - Also open to what Twist you guys recommend: 1:7 vs 1:8
This is just me- Not telling you what to do ...

#1 - What somebody shares here MAY NOT be fit with you ... So please hold that thought

#2 - You asked what twist rate is good .... well ... what bullets do you plan to shoot? ... how far out do you plan to shoot on a regular basis .... When I first got into this arena ... like you I was asking a lot of ??? .. Then the switch clicked on upstairs I got it. There really is a reason why everybody is going to ask you a million & 1 questions .... & you better have and answer which means you should be doing your homework and research.

So are you clearing rooms .... NO? .. then you don't need (SBR) short barrel rifle ... 7" to 12"

Do you want to hit targets the length of a football field ... Yes? Then got to 18" or longer .. 1/8 twist

Or maybe you home property protection and shot out want to hit targets @ 50 yards ( 150') ... yeah ?
.... then a 16" barrel 1/7 twist and 62g bullets

So right about now ... I think you're starting to see why all the questions. The questions take the narrative and narrows it down and the answers present them selves

Remember ... (The is just me ) ... the never REALLY is a 1 gun fits all platform

Every thing has a certain design purpose and only you can define that purpose .... that call resides on your shoulders.

And as you continue to pull the curtain back in this arena you will start to see / understand why the never is just that 1 gun

Every gun has a certain design purpose. Every pistol cal has a certain purpose / design .

And once you REALLY get that etched and digested ... then the pictures are no longer hazy - pix start to get crystal clear

You'll get it

Like you .. I started out asking every a lot of ????

And A LOT of replies were the same ... What do you want it to do.

Today ... Now I understand why I have a SBR 300 BLK ... 14" AR .... 16" AR .... AK47 .... 338 Lapua

Each individual mention above has a certain design function and purpose

I understand my answer is very long, confusing, rambling etc..... but I'm telling you .. I once stood where you stand today

You're standing on the step of .... "What do I do "

Google was my best friend ... I learned A LOT of info in the you tube space ... I'd visit a lot of local gun stores. You know what I found ? .... 9 times out 10 ... The GOOD gun store staff will be more than willing to share their knowledge and answer your questions

I have built 90% of my current holdings ... and truth be told .... I'm right at $1,500 mark ... NiB BCG / CMC 2.5 lb drop in curve bow trigger / extended pivot pin and take down pin / Captured recoil spring set up / timber Creek oversize trigger guard / Giessele Bolt catch release / Hogue over molded beaver tail hand grip / MOE flip up sights / Spikes Lower /

I hope this helps ... if nothing else .. I hope this motivates you to ask more questions ... because truth be told .... more question you ask ... the answers you get will only develop your road map to success.

Best of luck .. this is fun stuff .. There are a lot of really good people that have no problem helping others.

All the best

If you don't stand for something / you'll fall for anything