• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New high power Nightforce NX8?

Also looks like they have a socket for a quick throw lever, nice touch especially with 8x as that's going to be a long throw from bottom to top.

I'm really excited to see the 2.5-20. The more I think about it, I'm going to be really surprised if the 4-32 has the glass to effectively pull off >30x at at a $2k +/- price-point, with a 30mm tube. Others have tried and couldn't, even with a 34mm tube (Bushnell...). If Nightforce cracked that code it really would be a game-changer! #NevaBenDunBefo! ;)

Last edited:
Going back I will be interested to see how this compares to the mark 5.

Similiar weight, 3-18 vs 2-20, lit bit of difference in reticle, assume nx8 is 30mm vs 34mm
Comparisons are always great and need to be done. Yet consider that while 3-18 and 2.5-20 seem similar, the difference in zoom is 6x vs. 8x. That’s huge from a physics and mechanical perspective.

That statement isn’t even close to the truth.
It’s simply the mil-c reticle extended with some dots. Which is exactly what I wanted from them and clearly many others did because the mil-c reticle is excellent.
It's the absolute truth and why many dont care for them.

With an 8x erector in a ffp, won't it be difficult to strike a balance with the reticle being too fine on low power and too coarse on high power? These look awesome on paper and i look forward to seeing reviews on them and the xtriii. One of those will probably end up on my valkyrie gas gun.

With an 8x erector in a ffp, won't it be difficult to strike a balance with the reticle being too fine on low power and too coarse on high power? These look awesome on paper and i look forward to seeing reviews on them and the xtriii. One of those will probably end up on my valkyrie gas gun.

Oh i'm sure at 2.5 it's tiny, though admittedly my GAP reticle is still usable at 3.2x on my SN-3, having said that the Mil-C is thin. I'd venture to say that's where illumination is going to come in, it will for me at least.

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
So......um, except for better glass quality, if these parallax to 10m as posted in the thread........why buy a 7-35? I’d imagine a decent amount less travel than the 7-35?

This optic will have to be noticeably less quality than the atacr with such a large price difference.

I’m not trying to be an ass. Just seems like it’s gonna mess with their own market a bit if it’s even close in quality.

So......um, except for better glass quality, if these parallax to 10m as posted in the thread........why buy a 7-35? I’d imagine a decent amount less travel than the 7-35?

This optic will have to be noticeably less quality than the atacr with such a large price difference.

I’m not trying to be an ass. Just seems like it’s gonna mess with their own market a bit if it’s even close in quality.

I think most of us are wondering the same. NXS has largely been stagnant for some time now with many considering the glass okay to say the least. Certainly not worth the price they were commanding. Now the revamp with the introduction of ED glass to the NXS lineup. Makes you wonder how far off the atacr series they’ll be. Sources could be different as they stated in the article it’s cheaper to get now. It’s interesting none the less. It’s worth a note they’ll likely come with compromises. Not a chance the 4-32 maintains resolution at 32x comparable with the 7-35 at max mag. I just don’t see it because if it did they would be undercutting their own market. Then again we could be wrong and NF is just honestly trying to offer more affordable quality optics to get into the price bracket with the likes of bushnell, Athlon, Burris, and vortex.

Reactions: plong
It is cool to finally see Nightforce do more with the NX8 series. They really need something between the ATACR and SHV, given that the original NXS line is really aging.

For a few months at least the NX8's only direct competition is March 3-24x52. What I will be really curious to see is how it does in terms of depth of field. March 3-24x52 is best thought of as a great 3-15x scope that can also go up to 24x in a pinch when the conditions are right.

Packaging a 8x erector into a 30mm tube while keeping generous adjustment range, almost guarantees that the depth of field is going to be quite shallow, so perhaps the 2.5-20x50 model will be viewed as an excellent 2.5-15x scope that can be pushed up to 20x in a pinch. The real unknown is how well Nightforce will optimize the side-focus and eyepiece design. If side-focus is finicky, it will be a similar range of issues as March has with the 3-24x. Nightforce has a much larger and more dedicated fanbase, so it might get brushed over, but we'll see.

To be clear, if the sidefocus is reasonably forgiving, none of this would prevent me from getting the 2.5-20x50 NX8, but I am a little scared by close focusing distance. Designing something that focuses down to 10m while maintaining easy of use at longer distances is tricky.

March 1-8x24 Shorty is basically an excellent 1-6x scope with limited usability at 8x. I can say more or less the same thing about NX8 1-8x24 (I am probably one of the few people who, as a package, prefers NX8 1-8x24 to the ATACR F1 1-8x24. ATACR is a better scope, but NX8 is a better package given the application where I might use it).

2.5-20x50 NXS will go head to head with the 3.3-18x50 XTR3 and some other stuff that is coming out soon, so this will be an interesting study in compromises. Burris and Nightforce make compromises in a different way, so this has "another fun comparison" written all over it.

ILya

I think that is a valid question when only comparing max magnification to max magnification between the 2. After that, it falls apart. There is no way these will be in the same realm; from both a cost and optical/mechanical design perspective or even application really.

Short, light, x8 erector, 30mm tube vs. Long, heavy, 5x with 34mm tube. $2k vs. $3600. As @koshkin pointed out, compromises have been made to make an 8x work in a short 30mm package.

I think these will make excellent gas gun optics or hunting optic for the guy like myself who wants the same creature comforts as a 'tactical' scope. I don't think you'll see a lot of these on the line at PRS/NRL matches.

I guess these are the behind the curtain scopes Frank mentioned in the podcast a few months ago! Will they be officially announced at the NRA show in a few weeks? I’m very interested. Been doing doing a lot of research lately on the <2k scope price point. These look like an excellent option.

I think that is a valid question when only comparing max magnification to max magnification between the 2. After that, it falls apart. There is no way these will be in the same realm; from both a cost and optical/mechanical design perspective or even application really.

Short, light, x8 erector, 30mm tube vs. Long, heavy, 5x with 34mm tube. $2k vs. $3600. As @koshkin pointed out, compromises have been made to make an 8x work in a short 30mm package.

I think these will make excellent gas gun optics or hunting optic for the guy like myself who wants the same creature comforts as a 'tactical' scope. I don't think you'll see a lot of these on the line at PRS/NRL matches.

I respectfully disagree with that last statement. I just shot the “Day In the Arena” match last weekend in Georgia. The match was sponsored by Jack Leuba and Ash Hess from KAC. It was not a KAC match, but certainly they were very well represented. I shot my KAC LPR 5.56 topped with my NF ATACR 4-16. In a gas gun match, a 2.5-20 that’s 12” overall will be FANTASTIC!! I will probably buy one, maybe both of them. One for my LPR, so my 4-16 can stay on my ACC, and one for my 18” 6.5CM gasser.
I see these as gas gun extraordinaries. For a “practical/tactical” 16”-18” gun, the size and weight will be hard to beat.
Sure, my 4-16 got me hits out to 1180 on the bonus stage, but it’s a bit heavy and long on a 5.56 gun. The 2.5-20 might be Goldilocks.

I respectfully disagree with that last statement. I just shot the “Day In the Arena” match last weekend in Georgia. The match was sponsored by Jack Leuba and Ash Hess from KAC. It was not a KAC match, but certainly they were very well represented. I shot my KAC LPR 5.56 topped with my NF ATACR 4-16. In a gas gun match, a 2.5-20 that’s 12” overall will be FANTASTIC!! I will probably buy one, maybe both of them. One for my LPR, so my 4-16 can stay on my ACC, and one for my 18” 6.5CM gasser.
I see these as gas gun extraordinaries. For a “practical/tactical” 16”-18” gun, the size and weight will be hard to beat.
Sure, my 4-16 got me hits out to 1180 on the bonus stage, but it’s a bit heavy and long on a 5.56 gun. The 2.5-20 might be Goldilocks.

The new NX8 looks quite compact, but 28 ounces is not all that light. There is a fair amount of competition for a gas gun scope and there will be more. A lot will depend on how user friendly this scope ends up being.

ILya

I’m extremely interested in these, but until it’s dethroned, my Vudu 5-25 is the perfect size on my gassers.
Doesn’t mean I won’t buy both anyway though lol.

I’m interested in how good the glass works out. I currently have the LRHSi on my .224V, but wouldn’t mind a clearer picture at distances.

Every time I thought I'd found my dream hi-low magnification scope there was always a compromise ( $, reticle choice, etc.). The NX8 checks all the boxes = won't be long and I can upgrade from my Leupold fixed 12x duplex reticle.

Reactions: Chasing3
After pondering this more I would rather pick up a used 4-16 Atacr as the price will be similar but for me glass and low light are most important and I think they will be better on the atacr...if I am wrong atacr sales will drop

I'm in a dilemma if I want to stay with getting the NX8 4-32x50 and be unsure about the higher end mag range being real usable or stick with my plan on getting the ATACR 4-16x50mm F1 with the MIL-XT reticle. I'll be able to use the same rings I have on my bolt gun currently.
We are not sure the new NX8s will be getting the MIL-XT, and for me the price is close enough to not matter to much, just
another month of saving.
Only thing swaying me to go with the ATACR is these new NX8 scopes seem like they would me more at home on gas guns and shorter bolt guns.

And it seems while I was typing out this mindless jumble of nonsense, cleric was thinking the same thing.

I will say the 2.5x20 NX8 looks like a good scope for my Sig 716. Replace my ARES BTR with that.

Until high mag NX8 scopes makeit out there, we can't really formulate any sort of a viable opinion on how they compare to existing scopes.

If you need a scope now, get the ATACR. It is a really nice design.

If you are in no rush, you can wait until NX8 comes out and makes it out into users' hands.

ILya

In case anyone is curious: We were asked to remove the image shared earlier this week. Nightforce is strictly sticking to the NRA launch, and apparently none of this was supposed to be leaked prior. Keep an eye out for official details in less than a month, and feel free to call us if you have questions. We'll do our best to answer what we can, and keep you on our list to call when we can begin taking official pre orders with true pricing, sku's, and full specs! 800-720-9625.

Reactions: Muley Buck
That is admirable and understandable. I gotta say, I'm surprised it made it as long as it did without be leaked. In today's world it is hard to keep a lid on something for very long.

Reactions: CSTactical
I'm excited about the new NX8 scopes and I'm nervous at the same time - could Nightforce have cracked the formula for 8x magnification and short body with 30mm tube to create an optical design that does not suffer from shallow DOF and finicky eyebox and parallax (yes, I'm referring to some of the issues that the March 3-24 series exhibits), but here's one thing, even if it does suffer from similar, the price point seems right for everything else - would you pay $3000+ for the March or $2000 for the Nightforce? One might assume from the different price points the March will still have the "better" glass, but as long as the NF performs decently I'm guessing it will find its way onto many rifles.

I'm really looking foreword get getting some in the shop, we will be testing them out.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL
Not often we are blessed with a post from Mike! When you say you will be testing them out, can we expect some kind of review? Any ETA on when the first ones might be coming in?

Not often we are blessed with a post from Mike! When you say you will be testing them out, can we expect some kind of review? Any ETA on when the first ones might be coming in?

Until they are shipping, anything else is a guess to us :censored: We have a new guy here looking to do more detailed reviews in the future :cool:

THEY WILL BE FFP. NIGHTFORCE IS CHANGING THE GAME AGAIN.....

Now that it's mentioned i'm almost certain they're SFP. NF hasn't dropped the F1 moniker for FFP once since i started shooting in 10 years. Probably tack on $300 or so to whatever is expected. Interesting though none the less, love the weight reduction. 28oz on that 2.5-20 and i can get it in Mil/Mil SFP for a hunting rig for dad's SAUM.
It will be FFP as u no
Agreed. Think they really missed the mark on this if they are reserving that reticle to the ATACR series. Leave that for the Horus line. This optic is perfect for many who do not need the 34mm tube and some of the other bells and whistles. Tree reticles are more and more sought after, so why not give the option. This is where companies like Vortex and Athlon have really hit the mark with consumers. If Vortex releases the rumored AMG in this mag range they are going to kill this optic if they offer the EBR-7C or similar.
no waaay.....kill these optics? Ha! That’s a bit presumptuous.....

Okay... Whole lotto stupid going on in this thread right now ?! How about we all wait and see what these 8x NXS scopes actually amount to before anointing them king-o-the-hill or dead-on-arrival... Ugh!

I am doubtful that it will be atacr quality glass. If it is why would anyone buy the 4-16 or 5-25. If you got same optic performance, in a smaller factor, with same performance. I understand that 34mm tube offers more elevation but I think the majority of users don’t need as much as they have.

NF specializes in ensuring that the only scope that does all the shit you want is the most expensive one ... despite most “options” costing nothing to offer once you have machined or etched something.

That's historically true, though maybe they're trying something different this go round. I thought i was about to sell my K525i to jump to an ATACR Mil-XT but after seeing the Mil-C today at 25x it was a little big to me especially on the verticle 2/10th hashes. Made me wonder if the Mil-XT is that big? I still want an NX8 though.

That's historically true, though maybe they're trying something different this go round. I thought i was about to sell my K525i to jump to an ATACR Mil-XT but after seeing the Mil-C today at 25x it was a little big to me especially on the verticle 2/10th hashes. Made me wonder if the Mil-XT is that big? I still want an NX8 though.

I can tell you from owning both that they are about the same size. If you have the coin go with the 7-35 because it’s the same size as 5-25. I also have the Kahles which we spoke of. It seems little bit lighter butnthey are about the same size,,,,,I would love to use these to fill in some gaps on gas guns..

Frankly I think that Meopta is showing up in this space with a 36” double ended dildo called the “Optika 6”. It runs on 25 Dewalt 20v cordless drill batteries, and can also be used to demo concrete.

I fuckin love nightforce. That said, I’m glad to see some folks show up with a good scope that pushes the other prices down.
I LOVE NF also. They have especially been innovative the last 5 years and really pushing the super quality envelope.....I think they and Kahles are the best mass produced scopes on the market for precison shooters......(Go ahead flame aaway)...

I can tell you from owning both that they are about the same size. If you have the coin go with the 7-35 because it’s the same size as 5-25. I also have the Kahles which we spoke of. It seems little bit lighter butnthey are about the same size,,,,,I would love to use these to fill in some gaps on gas guns..
I love the Mil C reticle....I also love the Mil XT and the SMK 3 are all fantastic. These are great days...

Interesting to say the least, 8x erector design, high mag ranges, solid reticle choices (especially if the Mil-XT is offered) and all under $2500. I haven't been behind an NXS in a while. Did the glass ever get updated on them? Because the older ones i was never overly impressed with. A little surprised it wasn't another addition to the ATACR lineup but hell idk where or how you'd position them price wise comparable to the 4-16, 5-25, and 7-35.
I do not know about higher powered scopes, but my NXS 1-4 was a total turd, optically. CA like crazy, never could seem to focus it that well, etc. etc. while my new NX8 is absolutely beautiful. It's not quite up to the resolution of my Kahles K16i or Leupold MK6 maybe, but that's an opinion argued while looking at resolution charts. In real world application, it's wonderful. So I dunno how this plays out with the others, but the NX8 certainly got refined vs. the NXS1-4.

Reactions: VegasHKShooter
I do not know about higher powered scopes, but my NXS 1-4 was a total turd, optically. CA like crazy, never could seem to focus it that well, etc. etc. while my new NX8 is absolutely beautiful. It's not quite up to the resolution of my Kahles K16i or Leupold MK6 maybe, but that's an opinion argued while looking at resolution charts. In real world application, it's wonderful. So I dunno how this plays out with the others, but the NX8 certainly got refined vs. the NXS1-4.

That is great to hear. I'm not terribly worried about resolution as much as i am the design. I think the glass will be fine though. I've only looked through on NXS in 10 years and wasn't impressed. 3 ATACRs of which two i liked the other was meh. So not that much experience with NF but again i hope this pans out.