• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New Hornady 178 BTHP load

Re: New Hornady 178 BTHP load

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: froggy2229</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rob01, you gotta do something! I just called Hornady and they said it would be next year before they sold the bullet as a component.
cry.gif
You think if we generated enough interest here we could get them to expedite? </div></div>

Next YEAR? Fuck that....

Is the hornady brass as good as winchester for a .308? I'm thinking of buying soemthing but want to reload after I shoot it.

My experience is that the Hornady brass grows like a weed but otherwise is very accurate.

I would concur with the above:

1. worked good for me. I got like 8 firings out of the 'lot'
I put together from fired factory ammo

2. YES, it does seem to grow faster. Had to trim more frequently

3. I had a high water capacity so if you want to do crazy shit
like shoot a 208 A-Max in your .308 you can probably stuff more
powder in the case.

4. accuracy was good with my handloads.

This will be my go-to factory fodder to have on standby.

superformance.jpg

Brux Tube, 22". Shoots better than anything SMK-based I've been able to cook up by hand.

We shot the 178gr Hornady against an agencies barrier penetrator the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 180gr bullet and the Hornady came pretty close to winning that, in fact might have actually won the first round of tests we did.

Has anyone had any pressure issues with these? I shot a box of them last weekend and no issues, this weekend with the same gun was losing primers. I had shot a 20 shot string prior with a different ammo with no issues and a 20 shot string after with no issues. I was shooting at 1K and the ones that threw the primers were up in elevation about a minute to a minute and half. I will call Hornady Monday and ask their opinion. It was out of a 22"krieger on a bolt gun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbulrs3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone had any pressure issues with these? I shot a box of them last weekend and no issues, this weekend with the same gun was losing primers. I had shot a 20 shot string prior with a different ammo with no issues and a 20 shot string after with no issues. I was shooting at 1K and the ones that threw the primers were up in elevation about a minute to a minute and half. I will call Hornady Monday and ask their opinion. It was out of a 22"krieger on a bolt gun </div></div>

Big swing in ambient temp or not?

negative upper 70's last weekend, mid 80's this weekend. barrel was clean before first string of different ammo.

No pressure problems shooting them out of a 20" gas gun or bolt gun.

Just saw this thread.

I averaged about 3/4 of a inch out of a Crusader. I moved back and shot them at 960 yds. It shot good, but I had to keep my shooting strings to a minimum or I would pop a primer.

Out of a 18.5 bartlien barreled 1:10 GAP SASS. First shot bulged the primer. Second and third blew out. Kinda of disappointed as I thought I had found my ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotexhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just saw this thread.

I averaged about 3/4 of a inch out of a Crusader. I moved back and shot them at 960 yds. It shot good, but I had to keep my shooting strings to a minimum or I would pop a primer.

Out of a 18.5 bartlien barreled 1:10 GAP SASS. First shot bulged the primer. Second and third blew out. Kinda of disappointed as I thought I had found my ammo. </div></div>

I know it's new but can a HORNADY REP step in and tell us why. I have heard of popping the primers with stuff on the gas guns but not bolt guns. I know there is new technology but it just seems like this stuff is too good to be true when it was ebing talked about a couple weeks or months ago. I mean nothing is FREE, so to me it seemed like it would have some kind of issues from the get go considering they are claiming more velocity,less recoil, and less barrel/throat erosion. Also, could this just be bugs that need to be worked out or do you all think this is just becuase of the powder design. I would hate to shoot real good with this stuff on one day at a certain elevation or temp and then it change on a diffrent day.

No pressure issues here, but factory ammo can require a bit of bolt force to seat it in a Palma Match chamber.

That could explain the pressure issues for some, but my problem is the opposite: I can't get velocities over 2790fps out of my 26" bbl with lot 3100204.

Graham,
Mine are all the same lot as yours, 3100204. I shot 25 rounds that day between my 26" and my 20" guns. As I reported above velocities out of my factory Remington chambered 26" barreled action were averaging 2758fps. This is below what I is advertised on the box but still much better then the FGMM 175's that I shot in direct comparison.
I had zero pressure signs, all the brass looked perfect.

Accuracy was outstanding.

P5010107.jpg

I fired this ammo at 100, 200, 400, 500, 700, 800, 1000 yesterday and I'm impressed. Chronographed at 2800fps from a 24 inch bartlein barrel.

I'm not sure what happened on this one. I was shooting a small 4" steel plate at 500 and drilled it and the next round would not feed. That's when I noticed the primer popped and was jammed up in the lugs. I had fired about 35 rnds and the barrel was getting pretty hot.

I have a couple hundred rounds left and will be taking it to asc shoot next weekend.

accuracy wise this stuff was everthing I'd hoped it would be.

I have lot 3100204 also and as I mentioned it performed very well out of my 20" 10 twist GAP bolt gun and also from the 20" 10 twist POF. No pressure signs in either.

Lot no. 3100508. I chonographed it at 2800 fps even.

For the first time out I had first round, center mass hit on steel at 1000, and second round, and third round, and fourth...

If it's as impressive next wknd I'm getting more.

Has anyone thought to check the brass for maybe not being fully "bumped" hard in the head like the old M118/M852 stuff was?

I've seen older FC brass, 1x-fired, that wouldn't hold a primer...good thing I got that lot for free! Sure was a bummer sorting my LOADED rounds. With a spherical powder load, that was a recipe for a true unlocked-bolt slam-fire.

ETA: That lot of FC brass was about 90-95% good. What's the percentage of popped primers being reported here??? I vote we ask for round counts from everyone, for no-problem, flat primer, gas leak, and full primer fallout categories. Maybe a report of how many won't hold a primer on reloading (ALL of those FCs required decapping).

Man that doesn't look good at all, Hornady gotta know about this happening! That's thumping it there.

Hornady knows about the primers blowing in mine, brass and unfired ammo have been sent to them. Awaiting word back from them. They were very interested in getting there hands on it to try and figure out what the issue was. FWIW based off the phone call to them they are trying to do the right thing.

For those having problems with Gas guns.. maybe an adjustable gas block is needed.. to tune the rifle..

As for some of the blown primers.. maybe the problem is with the powder Blending being off spec..

Just a couple thoughts i had..

beats me. Mine was from a bolt gun (GAP).

I'm going to shoot it up this weekend and reload the brass.

regardless, I was more than impressed with the performance.

Hey Frank....Charley's gas gun had the same problems yours have had with it. Seems to be a trend.

The bolt guns love it though. Have you gone through all we sent you yet?

I had primers (plural) blowing out of my M4 when shooting Hornady TAP ammo. They were real quick to say it wasn't their ammo and then sent me a replacement to cover the 3 boxes i had sent it. I don't have much faith in them now because of that but will give this 178 load a try in my new Savage 10 when I get the chance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shot it through glass today, it kicked much ass... </div></div>

I thought all open tip match bullets performed sub-par on glass
shocked.gif

that's good to hear though. Would you say this round could do it all then, eliminating the need for a glass busting round?

Speed wins in this case. We shot it along side the 180gr Trophy Bonded round from Federal and it maintained it's accuracy and deformed less, throwing less secondary material into the target. So it's weight combined with the increase speed is a great combination.

I haven't shot it all up Sean, just a small amount of it, as we are working with a group that uses something else.

I will say, for LE this would be a good single choice round especially when it comes to price as it is much cheaper than most match out there. There would be no need for a second penetrator round if everything flushes out well. So far we have shot concrete and now auto glass and it's a good performer.

Energy is proportional to the mass of the bullet, but proportional to the <span style="font-style: italic">square</span> of the speed.

One might expect a faster bullet to perform better, especially at relatively short distances where the heavier bullet has not started to overcome the speed of the lighter one by having less drag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shot it through glass today, it kicked much ass... </div></div>Video and pics or it didn't happen.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbulrs3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady knows about the primers blowing in mine, brass and unfired ammo have been sent to them. Awaiting word back from them. They were very interested in getting there hands on it to try and figure out what the issue was. FWIW based off the phone call to them they are trying to do the right thing. </div></div>
Doesn't surprise me much.

"FWIW based off the phone call to them they are trying to do the right thing."

IMO, Hornady is the only company left that's not trying to milk us shooters for every dime they can squeeze out of us. With the Creedmore and other developments the past few years, they are leading in listening to the market, even the smaller segments of the market.

I shot up most of mine at the ASC new shooter match this weekend. On Friday about a third of the ammo blew primers. It was about 80 degrees. On Saturday and Sunday the temp really dropped and I had narry a hickup. Shot GREAT and had some very impressive first round hits in some high wind at long distances. Last shots on sunday was a stress 5 shot group. Out of all the targets on the board this stuff shot the tightest group. vertical stringing was about .5 inch at 100. I adjusted my poa left and right but if I hadn't, this would have printed a great shot group.

80 degrees is way to cool to have ammo pop primers. If I'm shooting in the LV area, there are weeks in the summer when it doesn't get below 80 all night long.

I'm not going to bother trying this stuff until we know whether it's pressure or really soft brass or both.

I just shot 10 rounds of it last nite and didn't pop any primers. This stuff actually grouped tighter at 100 yards then FGMM 168 and Black Hills 168. Only the Hornady 168 AMAX Tap Precision grouped tighter out of my rifle.

I read through the thread and undertand that El Jefe had issues with running this round through an AR10. Has anyone tried it in a M1A?

I picked up 100 rounds of it this past week. Finally got around to shooting it this morning. FYI - I shot this at about 7am, there was rain the night before and heavy dew on the range. Shooting at 100 yards out of my GAP Hospitaller w/ Gemtech Sandstorm attached the grouping was excellent, right up there with the 168gr Black Hills match. But I was noticing it was throwing A LOT of gas/smoke/powder whatever you want to call it I guess. Im talking a good 6ft puff. And the grass was smoking after each shot....

I have no clue if that was the round heating up the dew and making it smoke or if it was over pressurizing with the can. What do you all think it was?

At 600 yards it was making quick work of my steel silhouette's

KY,
What was the temp? A trend detected in the posts that had primer issues was higher temps. No issues for you?

I shot them at 70-75 degrees from a semi and bolt and no problems. I have a box left that i am waiting to find a really hot day and shoot them.

KYshooter338...i noticed a significantly greater muzzle flash and smoke cloud with this round also. might just be the nature of the beast.

Was shooting at nightime with 80% humidity and 70 degrees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot them at 70-75 degrees from a semi and bolt and no problems. I have a box left that i am waiting to find a really hot day and shoot them. </div></div>

Thanks for the info.

It was 7am, had been heavy rain the night before. Humidity was low, and probably around 70 degrees. very cloudy.

Shot great though. I placed an order for 200 rounds more. You want to talk about a coyote slayer? Here ya go!

I just shot 20 more rounds of the BH 178gr Superformance through my SR25 EMR (20" 1:11.25 match stainless barrel).

No popped primers, although some of the brass shows discoloration around the primers. I did have one round nosedive on the feed ramp. It did not feed, of course, and the bullet was set back about 1/16". I loaded and fired this round with no ill effects.

MV out of the 20" EMR barrel is 2684fps, corrected to the muzzle (70degF, 45% humidity, 900' ASL).

Here's what the brass looked like:

178gr_brass.jpg

Those primers don't look flat enough to leak gas from overpressure...unless the cups are wayextremely hard.

Has anyone measured diameter inside the extractor groove before and after firing? Or checked so see how loose the primer pockets are after firing, with both "popped" and normal-appearing brass?

Since most of the speed is gained in the first 10 inches of barrel travel for "normal" loads, I'm quite curious about how far down the barrel the pressure curve is pushed with this new development. If you're below 14,000 (I think the military measured it with CUP though) at the M1A gas port 14.1 inches from the breech, the stuff would be okay for those rifles.

Since some powders like RE-15 go above safe M1A port pressures before the chamber pressure reaches max, I would not be surprised if this stuff is not okay for the M14-type gas system without a vented plug.

I still don't have the AR10 system's gas port pressure tolerances down. The only numbers I've seen were for the AR in 5.56/.223.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot them at 70-75 degrees from a semi and bolt and no problems. I have a box left that i am waiting to find a really hot day and shoot them. </div></div>

Stick em in a heating pad...

i just placed at order from powdervally. will try it in my 24" harbinger!!!

10-8 in NOLA had them on the shelf, so I grabbed a couple boxes. Still holding out until I hear good news, before I run them in my M1A. Anticipation of how it performs for me will grow, as my beloved bolt gun is in the hands of Mark at S.A.C..