• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New hunting scope for hunting/ target shooting.

Majens3

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2022
Nebraska
I was lucky and found a Weatherby Mark V carbonmark on sale about half off and would like to put the best glass I can on it. Right now I’m looking at the Leupold Mark 5HD in 3.6-18, the Burris XTR iii in 3.3-18, and a few others that I know very little about. Zeiss, Swarovski, Nightforce. This rifle is chambered in 6.5 creedmore and will be my new primary rifle used mostly for deer and possibly elk. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Haven't looked through the new xtr but I had many good years with my xtrii. The mk5 I've heard is a great scope that would probably be which one I would go for in that range.

I currently have a XTR ii on a strictly target rifle. With many people saying the glass isn’t clear on those scopes, and mine being my best scope, I’m very curious what the XTR iii and others look like.

I was lucky and found a Weatherby Mark V carbonmark on sale about half off and would like to put the best glass I can on it. Right now I’m looking at the Leupold Mark 5HD in 3.6-18, the Burris XTR iii in 3.3-18, and a few others that I know very little about. Zeiss, Swarovski, Nightforce. This rifle is chambered in 6.5 creedmore and will be my new primary rifle used mostly for deer and possibly elk. Any recommendations would be welcome.

John

Reactions: Majens3
Do you think the higher magnification model would be better when target shooting, or would I lose too much on the low end?

If you have Swarovski money, maybe save some and look at the Zero Compromise 4-20

Or Zeiss S3 4-25

But these are pretty expensive scopes and may be more than you want for hunting unless you anticipate long range for elk hunting.

Oh, and I'm not expert....many far more knowledgeable than I on this topic. But these scopes occurred to me. The ZCO 4-20 is a pretty nice compact package but I'm no mountain hunter so take my view with a grain of salt.

Cheers

If you have Swarovski money, maybe save some and look at the Zero Compromise 4-20

Or Zeiss S3 4-25

But these are pretty expensive scopes and may be more than you want for hunting unless you anticipate long range for elk hunting.

Oh, and I'm not expert....many far more knowledgeable than I on this topic. But these scopes occurred to me. The ZCO 4-20 is a pretty nice compact package but I'm no mountain hunter so take my view with a grain of salt.

Cheers
After looking at the two you recommended, let’s stay sub $2k. Some wiggle room there but not double. The ZCO looks really nice.

After looking at the two you recommended, let’s stay sub $2k. Some wiggle room there but not double. The ZCO looks really nice.
Yeah, the ZCO are a lot of money...I know because I bought a 5-27 this year..OUCH! haha

The Zeiss S3 is right at about $2,200 from Europtic but we have a number of vendors who are also active members here who also carry it.

Frank ( @lowlight ) seems to have a very high opinion of them and did a review here

Not trying to spend your money for you, but if it fits your budget then these may be great scopes for hunting and use in long range precision shooting.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: waveslayer
Yeah, the ZCO are a lot of money...I know because I bought a 5-25 this year..OUCH! haha

The Zeiss S3 is right at about $2,200 from Europtic but we have a number of vendors who are also active members here who also carry it.

Frank ( @lowlight ) seems to have a very high opinion of them and did a review here

Not trying to spend your money for you, but if it fits your budget then these may be great scopes for hunting and use in long range precision shooting.

Just a thought.
I’ll have to give them more of a look. Thanks for the insight.

Reactions: Baron23
Having hunted with the XTR3 3.3-18X with SCR2 reticle a decent amount, I would say the reticle is very thin and I can't really recommend it for that use. The reticle is much thinner than my Xtr2 Scr1 I had before it died. I know they make the XTR3 with an SCR1 reticle, but the tree style reticle is superior for target shooting.

If you do go the XTR3 direction make sure and get the illuminated one, not the US made one. They are definitely nice target scopes for the money. Some people think the turrets are dumb, but it's something you'll have to decide on yourself.

I dont love the Mk5, but it might be a better crossover scope depending on your preference in reticles.

Having hunted with the XTR3 3.3-18X with SCR2 reticle a decent amount, I would say the reticle is very thin and I can't really recommend it for that use. The reticle is much thinner than my Xtr2 Scr1 I had before it died. I know they make the XTR3 with an SCR1 reticle, but the tree style reticle is superior for target shooting.

If you do go the XTR3 direction make sure and get the illuminated one, not the US made one. They are definitely nice target scopes for the money. Some people think the turrets are dumb, but it's something you'll have to decide on yourself.

I dont love the Mk5, but it might be a better crossover scope depending on your preference in reticles.
I really like my xtr ii with scr1 reticle. I’ll have to get behind a xtr iii to see how different it is. Thanks for your thoughts.

I really like my xtr ii with scr1 reticle. I’ll have to get behind a xtr iii to see how different it is. Thanks for your thoughts.
This is the SCR2 reticle at different powers. My phone was having issues focusing today, but these scopes have virtually no scope shadow or black ring in person.

Hope that's helpful

3x,
20221015_151525.jpg

10x I think,
20221015_151448.jpg

and 18x
20221015_151510.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Earnhardt

That rifle advertises 7lb, I would look for a lighter weight scope to avoid making it unbalanced.

You never said what kind of target shooting you are doing. 100 yards? 300? And didn’t note the caliber of the rifle. Those items would have an impact on any choice that I made.

Personally, from the limited information you provided, I would stick with the magnification range you originally posted. As far as rifle balance, your scope is literally located at the center of balance and it would matter more to me what the intended use was, than the size.

If it’s meant for long hauls and multi day packing hunts, then weight is a bigger consideration. If it’s localized hunts with minimal pack carry, then weight and size matters less in the equation.

Only you can decide the end.

ETA: Also, where you are and where you intend to hunt make a big difference. I.E. west and Midwest often offer longer ranges and shots than the eastern side of things.

You never said what kind of target shooting you are doing. 100 yards? 300? And didn’t note the caliber of the rifle. Those items would have an impact on any choice that I made.

Personally, from the limited information you provided, I would stick with the magnification range you originally posted. As far as rifle balance, your scope is literally located at the center of balance and it would matter more to me what the intended use was, than the size.

If it’s meant for long hauls and multi day packing hunts, then weight is a bigger consideration. If it’s localized hunts with minimal pack carry, then weight and size matters less in the equation.

Only you can decide the end.

ETA: Also, where you are and where you intend to hunt make a big difference. I.E. west and Midwest often offer longer ranges and shots than the eastern side of things.
Target shooting would just be dipping my toes into it. Maybe out to 450 yards, which is the longest range around me. Lost somewhere in the original post said 6.5 Creedmore. I just moved east but plan to hunt both west and east mostly for deer on day hunts mostly. Very seldom would there be any pack hunts.

Reactions: lash
It’s personal preference but for a hunting/target scope I’d look at 3-18/21, or 4-20. The MK5’s or the older Bushnell XTR’s are compact/light enough to carry around all day but will still do well if you decide to spend an afternoon ringing steel. Burris has the XTR 2 in 4x20, or if you can bump your budget up a bit Nightforce has some that fit what your looking for.

I just picked up a leupold vx-5 with the windplex reticle and its quality, and they come with one free CDS dial which is a really nice perk. I would will also recommend meopta scopes, I have a optika 6 with the dichrotech reticle and it works awesome in low light conditions.

The reticle in the illuminated XTRIII is noticeably thicker than in the non illuminated XTRIII.

I've already spent time in the field with mine. Its illuminated red or green if you have a low light scenario, and the reticle thickness is not an issue.

SWFA SS 6x42 milquad reticle.
If you like variables, a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.
Spend the rest on ammo, sharp knives, a chest freezer and butcher fees....
There's some pragmatic wisdom here.

If you can swing $2k, the Zeiss V6 is made in Germany. 👍🏼

And like every XTR I've ever owned, this baby is tough as nails.

I took a half gainer off some rocks on Tuesday trying to bust hump into range of a really nice mulie. Busted the crap out of the illumination cap. No idea where the battery went.

Checked zero on it yesterday, moved .3 left and good to go. No other ill effects.

Called Burris yesterday, and received an email two hours later that a replacement cap had been shipped. Should see it tomorrow so I'll have it replaced by the weekend.

My buddy only scored me an 8 out 10 on the half gainer. He said I didn't keep my feet together.