• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Kestrel® HUD and Kestrel® Ballistics 2700

I am not familiar with the interface, so can't comment.

It uses a pair of threaded holes to mount accessories. Hawk Hill makes a data card holder that mounts to it (I have one) with an arm similar to the HUD mount. You can also put a picatinny rail section on the Spuhr and attach the HUD that way. However, I figure it's only a matter of time before someone makes an aftermarket arm/adapter for the HUD to go directly to a Spuhr interface.

I am not familiar with the interface, so can't comment.
1578411602856.jpeg

There are horizontal and vertical surfaces to mount pic rail. I was asking if your mount would work on the vertical surface. Believe I’ve answered my own question, doesn’t look like it will.

Not sure what the problem would be with the Spuhr. Can you explain? I don't think you can link the Kestrel to more than 1 HUD as you need to select only one in the set up.
Yes I was guessing that I could not hook up to more than one at a time. I’m wondering what the process would be to unsync and resync to a different HUD. Would I need to resync all 3 devices (HUD/LRF/Kestrel), 2 devices, just one? Curious what the process would be.

If you are interested in purchasing a HUD, you should think about getting in on the pre-order now. The Shot Show is 1/21-1/24 and sales there will be substantial and a backlog could develop.

Pre-order is here

I believe we are now a few days away from shipments.

So, how soon should us pre-order folks expect to hear from you regarding payment?

I preordered 3 or 4 months ago.

On edit: I ordered early September.

I’d like to play with one of these before dropping the $$$. I could see how it may not be any better than a pen and paper but I could be completely wrong.

I’d love to see something that I could input yardages on a preset profile and it could quickly display DOPE on an HUD type of set up. While shooting PRS matches, there’s not a lot of time to be setting up DOPE. Speed and efficiency is key. I mean, I understand how you can set up different targets in the Kestrel and then send it to the HUD but I’m just thinking the time to do so would be considerable. A 10-key pad to input ranges at 5-10 targets would speed up the process considerably.

I have not received my invoice or anything regarding my pre order. I see on the website that it is in stock. I submitted my pre order on 10-28-19.

Reactions: reubenski
I preordered in June and have not seen anything. Just in case, I placed a new order on their website and it took my payment info.

Hi,

I just downloaded the user manual and I didn't see any mention of the shot counter. Did that feature disappear ?

thanks
There are a few features still to come. We wanted to get the HUD out as quickly as possible with the big items. The add ons will show up through fw updates like the Kestrel additions do.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Just received a response to my inquiry about HUD availability. Was told shipping is still a month out and that the option to buy on the website was taken down.

Just received a response to my inquiry about HUD availability. Was told shipping is still a month out and that the option to buy on the website was taken down.
The option for pre-order is still available, shipping is taking place now for earlier pre-orders and it will take about a month to fill those orders so new pre-orders will be about a month out due to backlog of pre-orders.

The option for pre-order is still available, shipping is taking place now for earlier pre-orders and it will take about a month to fill those orders so new pre-orders will be about a month out due to backlog of pre-orders.

Thank you for the clarification

I just called and spoke with customer service. The lady I spoke with said they won't be invoicing or shipping for another 4wks.

If you were an early pre-order, we should be able to start shipping those at some point next week and you will get an email invoice for payment. If you pre-ordered late, it would be around 4 weeks from now.

Sorry, slowdown on HUD - We are beginning full HUD production the first week of February and will work to fill the preorders that have all been placed. We appreciate everyone's patience in this process as we continue to release products that meet our strict quality standards

Sorry, slowdown on HUD - We are beginning full HUD production the first week of February and will work to fill the preorders that have all been placed. We appreciate everyone's patience in this process as we continue to release products that meet our strict quality standards

I'm sure there will be some grumbling, but I can fully understand wanting to release a product that's right. Glad to see you guys are doing it the right way.

Looks like one of the big numbers phones for old folks with that big font. Old Dude friendly!

Any chance that the kestrel 2700 will be compatible with strelok pro in the near future?

Mine arrived today. I have had limited time with it so far, but it seems to work well with my 5700 and SIG3000BDX which I was concerned about. Laze target and it updates on the Kestrel and HUD with solution. I need to figure out how to mount the remote as the manual does not provide a diagram on placement.
First impressions are good so far.

Thanks Kestrel!

When did you pre-order?
Original pre-order was June 29, but I never heard anything requesting payment for the order.

So, on Jan 18, 2020 I placed another order on their website where it took my payment information and that is the order I just received.

Original pre-order was June 29, but I never heard anything requesting payment for the order.

So, on Jan 18, 2020 I placed another order on their website where it took my payment information and that is the order I just received.

Well... that ridiculously frustrating for those of us that preordered.

• Sad
Reactions: Macman25

Jolliec, please send info on your order to

[email protected]

This should not have happened and we need to find out why.

I got a request for payment today! :) I ordered Jan 23rd, but payment page errors out whenever I try to submit. :(

Email sent to Kestrel.

You preordered or ordered on the website?

I ordered through the website. It charged my shipping cost that day. I believe the 23rd was still considered "pre-order".

I ended up calling my cc info for those wondering. Apperantly the email link they sent out was/is not working properly.

HUD Pre-order update. Pre-orders will be going out in the order of when they were placed. There were a couple that were mistakenly sent out ahead of others and we apologize for that. Also some initial payment links that were sent out had a typo in the web address which was then fixed. You should be receiving payment emails (that work) in the next 2 weeks if you pre-ordered. We hope to have all pre-orders shipped within the next 2 weeks.

Reactions: mrtoyz
I pre-ordered early last summer ( a month or two before expected release, lol) got the email for payment needed this morning but link didn't accept payment. I emailed and was given the phone # to pay for my HUD. Should be in the mail tomorrow.
I guess it's good that they got all the bugs out of it, but I kinda gave up on it to be honest. Hopefully worth the wait.

Got the HUD in today, I don’t know how long my preorder was. The whole unit seems pretty badass. The HUD Paired easily and the features seem super slick, I especially like the stage timer.

The only problem I had, is the plastic holder that goes around the HUD crumbled apart in my hand where the screws mount. I’ve got an email sent to kestrel and I’m sure they’ll take care of me, I just thought it was important to note to see if anyone else had/has the same issue.

Mine arrived via next day air the day after I paid the balance. No problems here with the plastic holder. FYI I did call in and pay by phone.

Got the HUD in today, I don’t know how long my preorder was. The whole unit seems pretty badass. The HUD Paired easily and the features seem super slick, I especially like the stage timer.

The only problem I had, is the plastic holder that goes around the HUD crumbled apart in my hand where the screws mount. I’ve got an email sent to kestrel and I’m sure they’ll take care of me, I just thought it was important to note to see if anyone else had/has the same issue.

Any pictures of what you are describing? Mine arrives tomorrow.

Any pictures of what you are describing? Mine arrives tomorrow.
Fell apart kinda like a cookie when I turned it over in my hand lol. It’s hard to tell from the pics, but some areas it split completely smoothly and others the surfaces are jagged. All the little pieces you see fell just as they are too, I didn’t pick at it or anything.

I don’t know any more about plastics than what aVe has taught me, but it almost seems like the glass fiber content was way too high in that one corner causing it to fracture. You can see around the holes that are still part of the main mount where there’s a little more cracking and fracturing. None of the rest of the mount shows anything remotely similar, and I didn’t have any problems taking the hud in and out of the mount. It’s almost like there was just a freak alignment of the glass fibers if that’s the type of polymer they’re using.

I also want to make a point of saying kestrel emailed me back in less than 24 hours, and they’re sending another mount out so kudos to them.

DC25AB57-64FA-49DE-8B99-94CEC951C412.jpeg
20C9E182-1020-4DA3-B6E2-EEFCC6C0F2F5.jpeg
397FF758-C8F0-4541-8BEB-FFA47CB50AB7.jpeg
9549DD91-2756-467F-9C94-21E2DD0CBCE5.jpeg
7FD1BD9A-17BF-4EFB-9C0E-A5C0FD739093.jpeg
7159F1BC-6EC5-428C-8E5D-D03AE5C43F1F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: bunsen27
My HUD arrived today. I am very pleased with the size, fit, and function. In case your interested; the picitiny mount clamp height is .25 inches above the top of the rail, .75 wide, and is made from aluminum. The mount has a rotational degree of freedom with 90° detents. It folds back nicely adjacent to the receiver/scope with .25” side clearance. My zoom switch view lever is still accessible with the HUD folded back.

I was also pleased to see the included mount to clamp fasteners were socket head screws versus flat heads (couldn’t tell in the online pictures). Flat heads in plastic leads to cracking of the hole over time due to the material being in tension.

Can’t wait for range time this coming weekend.

Fucking bag of football bats.....
Guess pre-ordering provided exactly ZERO advantages....
Yeah, that kinda disappoints.

I still have not gotten an email.

I am perfectly fine waiting in line with the concept of first ordered and first delivered. That's fair.

This kinda sucks.

I hope it's worth it.

Received my HUD today. It was a touch smaller than I was anticipating, but should be just fine in big font single target mode. I did have to update my 5700 to V1.37 before I could connect to the HUD. Connecting my LRF to the 5700 wasn't difficult, but I did find it relayed info to the 5700 and the HUD better when it was Lock "On". I have the HUD in Lock "Off" mode. Updates from 5700 to HUD are ~2-3sec delay. Updates to the HUD with my Bushnell Nitro1800 supplying the range value were ~4-6sec which I found quite reasonable. I'll be taking it to the range for further familiarization this weekend.

For the life of me I could not find an explanation of the Lock On/Off option for connected devices in the online owners manuals for either the 5700 or HUD on why or when you would choose it. Granted it may be self evident and I'm just too obtuse, but if somebody has a good working knowledge of when and why to use it please enlighten me, thanks! :)

Received my HUD today. It was a touch smaller than I was anticipating, but should be just fine in big font single target mode. I did have to update my 5700 to V1.37 before I could connect to the HUD. Connecting my LRF to the 5700 wasn't difficult, but I did find it relayed info to the 5700 and the HUD better when it was Lock "On". I have the HUD in Lock "Off" mode. Updates from 5700 to HUD are ~2-3sec delay. Updates to the HUD with my Bushnell Nitro1800 supplying the range value were ~4-6sec which I found quite reasonable. I'll be taking it to the range for further familiarization this weekend.

For the life of me I could not find an explanation of the Lock On/Off option for connected devices in the online owners manuals for either the 5700 or HUD on why or when you would choose it. Granted it may be self evident and I'm just too obtuse, but if somebody has a good working knowledge of when and why to use it please enlighten me, thanks! :)

The lock function "locks" the HUD and your Kestrel so no other Kestrel can Link to the HUD until you "unlock" them. Good for a match where many Kestrels might be searching for HUD devices.

The lock function "locks" the HUD and your Kestrel so no other Kestrel can Link to the HUD until you "unlock" them. Good for a match where many Kestrels might be searching for HUD devices.
That's what I assumed it did, but was not 100% sure. Thanks for the clarification!