• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Kestrel® HUD and Kestrel® Ballistics 2700

I still have heard.... crickets.

I have emailed Kestrel at the link posted above... got an out of office from Rachel. I have emailed the individual directed.

We'll see. I remain deeply disappointed in the way preordered folks have been handled.
It's a bad look.

^^^^update on the above.

I have been taken care of. Money paid, only waiting on the "shipped" email now.

On edit: the unit arrived today, many thanks

Last edited:
So every thing is well packaged and the instructions were easy to follow. As indicated in a post above, you must update the Kestrel to the latest version. After updating, the connection was fast and easy. The information was quickly transferred from 5700 to HUD.

Someone mentioned the size above. I am perfectly happy with the size. Just right IMHO. Any bigger would be a nuisance.

So far, I am happy with it. I need to get it out and learn the features, especially establishing a dope card for targets.

I used mine at the last local PRS match and it worked well. I did back up my data with my Ballistic AE app until I get comfortable with the setup. I did notice that I was about .1 mils off at around 700 compared to my Ballistic Calc. Not a huge issue but want to get out and confirm my data at distance.

Thank you. @Kestrel Ballistics
Doesn’t look like we’ll be able to mount this to the side of a Spuhr. Am I seeing that correctly?
What would be the procedure for using 2 HUD’s with one Kestrel and LRF?
You can if you buy the hawke hill board that fits the spuhr. The kestrel holder will screw to the hawke hill arm fine.

My HUD arrived today. I am very pleased with the size, fit, and function. In case your interested; the picitiny mount clamp height is .25 inches above the top of the rail, .75 wide, and is made from aluminum. The mount has a rotational degree of freedom with 90° detents. It folds back nicely adjacent to the receiver/scope with .25” side clearance. My zoom switch view lever is still accessible with the HUD folded back.

I was also pleased to see the included mount to clamp fasteners were socket head screws versus flat heads (couldn’t tell in the online pictures). Flat heads in plastic leads to cracking of the hole over time due to the material being in tension.

Can’t wait for range time this coming weekend.

I am now acquainted with my HUD and I can’t imagine PRS 22 rimfire life past 35 yards without it. I play in the wind most of the time at distances out to 450y where I’m regularly holdIng off 0 to 3 mils for wind. I’m most impressed by getting hits while watching the HUD in real time and reacting to wind holds.

I come across no turret multiple target stages quite often. The HUD makes my life easy in Target Card mode. I make the first target (A) distance a ghost at my zero range (35y in this case) then add the actual targets (B thru E) at their respective distances (50, 70, 90, & 100)

The card looks like this:

5AFB4615-5982-4C18-83FF-4D4F70230F8B.jpeg

Then I change the Gun zero to the first target distance (ZR 50). Now Target A is my initial dial value so my first real target (B) hold is the reticle center and the respective holds for the remaining real targets is shown thereafter.

83843824-B122-4A29-AA93-A3C25F29EDC2.jpeg

This method works well for short range targets. All bets are off for ELR.

When I go to the range without this tool I feel handicapped. I love it.
MacCoon

I already knew about changing your zero range to get holdovers, but never considered adding my true zero range as the first target. That's a damn good idea.

Has anyone had issues with updaying their Kestrel Hub via the ballistic app? My HUD is on FW .24 (I Think) and when i try to update the FW, it says "Check internet Connection". Ive unistalled the app multiple times as well as tried on multiple devices and still getting the same message. Ive contacted Kestrel but havent recieved a response. Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200425-212352_Kestrel LiNK Ballistics.jpg
    Screenshot_20200425-212352_Kestrel LiNK Ballistics.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 40
Has anyone had issues with updaying their Kestrel Hub via the ballistic app? My HUD is on FW .24 (I Think) and when i try to update the FW, it says "Check internet Connection". Ive unistalled the app multiple times as well as tried on multiple devices and still getting the same message. Ive contacted Kestrel but havent recieved a response. Any help is much appreciated.

Mike - Firmware 0.24 means it was an Alpha test unit and is not firmware upgradable in the field. It should have been returned. Please email us at [email protected] and we can see how we can resolve this for you.

We don't have a fixed plan for adding it but may in the future.
Looking to possibly get one of these but wanted to know a few things first. Like mentioned above will the level and shot counter be added soon or is it already added? And in the future or can it now be able to connect to my phone and the HUD at the same time? I would like to be able to use the kestrel app to input targets to the kestrel 5700 and in turn show up on the HUD. Please advise if any of these are currently working or will be available in the near future.

I would like to be able to use the kestrel app to input targets to the kestrel 5700 and in turn show up on the HUD. Please advise if any of these are currently working or will be available in the near future.

Why are you using your phone to input target data instead of doing it directly on the Kestrel? Makes no sense to me.

Why are you using your phone to input target data instead of doing it directly on the Kestrel? Makes no sense to me.
I can type it in and capture all the data while the kestrel is in a vane mount. Seems like it would be way faster to type on this screen rather than doing a bunch of scrolling and capturing on the kestrel. You can point your phone at the target and click the compass to get target direction (the first pic I attached) and then capture current wind direction and speed on the next page using the little impeller symbol (second picture) then send it to the kestrel and then it would display it on the HUD. Target card done 🤷🏼‍♂️

Attachments

• B6525FC9-C021-4805-B7FC-4F067C76536C.png
    B6525FC9-C021-4805-B7FC-4F067C76536C.png
    639.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 71F57E16-F4A2-4FB8-B06B-82AD95C1CFC4.png
    71F57E16-F4A2-4FB8-B06B-82AD95C1CFC4.png
    699.8 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: shotdown
I can type it in and capture all the data while the kestrel is in a vane mount. Seems like it would be way faster to type on this screen rather than doing a bunch of scrolling and capturing on the kestrel. You can point your phone at the target and click the compass to get target direction (the first pic I attached) and then capture current wind direction and speed on the next page using the little impeller symbol (second picture) then send it to the kestrel and then it would display it on the HUD. Target card done 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'd imagine that they'd have to make some major changes to the firmware to do what you want, if not outright hardware changes, since the Kestrel has to be in different connection modes to talk to your phone vs the HUD.

I'll add that you might want to play around with the multi-target screen in the Kestrel a little more. It might not be quite as fast as typing, but I've not had any issues with being able to put in target distances quickly for multiple targets from that screen, and they all feed over to the HUD nicely.

I'd imagine that they'd have to make some major changes to the firmware to do what you want, if not outright hardware changes, since the Kestrel has to be in different connection modes to talk to your phone vs the HUD.

I'll add that you might want to play around with the multi-target screen in the Kestrel a little more. It might not be quite as fast as typing, but I've not had any issues with being able to put in target distances quickly for multiple targets from that screen, and they all feed over to the HUD nicely.
I haven’t messed with the multi-target screen very much, I’ll definitely have to make up a course of fire and go through it all on the kestrel to see how long it actually takes, might not take as long as I think it does. I would primarily be using this for matches so time always seems precious lol. Has it worked well in matches for you?

This is why I just lase all the targets. Fastest way to enter ranges.
I thought about buying another rangefinder but I already have a Nikon 4k, PLRF15, and a silencerco radius pretty sure my wife would kill me if I bought another rangefinder 😂 but then Again a terrapin X wouldn’t be a bad addition to the stable 🤔🤔🤔

Maybe see if you can get a BT dongle from downrange systems for the PLRF
Holy crap! I had ne idea that someone made something like that for the PLRF! It says the C model PLRF’s which has the compass and all that so I wonder if it work with mine? I’ll have to call them up and ask 🤷🏼‍♂️ It says out of stock so that sucks. Thanks for the info!

I haven’t messed with the multi-target screen very much, I’ll definitely have to make up a course of fire and go through it all on the kestrel to see how long it actually takes, might not take as long as I think it does. I would primarily be using this for matches so time always seems precious lol. Has it worked well in matches for you?

Yep, I've run the HUD that way for a while now and it's worked really well for me.

On LRFs, you can input multiple targets, but I don't know of any LRFs that let you go to the next target on the card directly from the LRF - you have to manually select it on the Kestrel, then lase the target.

Reactions: precisionpaper
Yep, I've run the HUD that way for a while now and it's worked really well for me.

On LRFs, you can input multiple targets, but I don't know of any LRFs that let you go to the next target on the card directly from the LRF - you have to manually select it on the Kestrel, then lase the target.
Purchased one tonight, so I’ll see what it’s all about! Seems like a nice piece of kit. I really like the timer feature. I was going to buy a shot timer and a hawk hill picatinny data card holder but this kinda does both. Do you do anything special for stages that you have to hold over/under for when you aren’t allowed to dial? When I would write down stuff I would use one of the targets as my “zero” targets and then just hold over or under based off of that, is there a way to do that on the hud? Or would you just change the zero of your rifle in the kestrel to accomplish this? Thanks for all the info!

Purchased one tonight, so I’ll see what it’s all about! Seems like a nice piece of kit. I really like the timer feature. I was going to buy a shot timer and a hawk hill picatinny data card holder but this kinda does both. Do you do anything special for stages that you have to hold over/under for when you aren’t allowed to dial? When I would write down stuff I would use one of the targets as my “zero” targets and then just hold over or under based off of that, is there a way to do that on the hud? Or would you just change the zero of your rifle in the kestrel to accomplish this? Thanks for all the info!

I've actually had a few conversations with NK about a hold-over function, and it's definitely on their list of things to add. You might want to shoot them an email to see if they have an ETA - they're probably tired of hearing from me about it by now.

In the meantime, you can make the HUD do it a different way by changing your zero range. I leave Target 1/A set to my actual zero range (100Y), then set all the target distances. Once that's done, I go to my gun profile and change my zero range in the profile to the distance I want to be dialed for. Once that is set, Target 1 now shows the inverse of what I need to dial (IE: If I am dialing 2.5 mil, Target 1 will show -2.5), which not only makes it easy to check what should be dialed in, but is also a reminder that I changed my zero range. All of the other targets will show the hold in relation to that set distance. I've done this a few times at matches now, as well as in practice, and it works well. That said, an actual supported function in the HUD would make it a lot easier.