• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol

Re: New Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol

I thought about this scope for my AR for some Prairie Dog hunting, but wonder if 9x was high enough magnification for out to 400 yards.

I would say it would depend on how good your eyes are and your marksmanship level but for prairie dog hunting you might want a little more magnification say around 14x. For shooting paper and criters at 200yrds 9X is good. The problem wont be making the shot but it will be difficult in spotting anything when scanning around at 400yrd.

When the shooting starts, all the dogs within 200 yards usually go take a nap. Out past 400 I don't think they can figure out what's going on. There is always shooting opertunities beyond 600.

1) Adjustable magnification is a MUST-HAVE, to allow for target acquisition, and then to zoom in to an accurate level of magnification.

2) Putting an underpowered scope on a rifle for long-distance shooting will lead to human-aim caused inaccuracy, shooting at a minimum of 400 yards at tiny dirt-colored prairie dogs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot it out to 600yds and tracking seems to be spot on. I emailed Leupold about which butler creek covers to get. Also going to ask if they have any plans for shims as a zero stop option. Because that would be great for this little scope.

<span style="color: #FF0000">The reticle is indeed thick. Covers up a 1" dot at 100yds.</span> </div></div>
This is frustrating to hear. On paper, this scope looked like a great fit for my 16" 5.56mm Noveske Recon. However, I'm now concerned that the reticle lines will be too thick to allow me to shoot tiny groups at 100+ yards. I love the TMR reticle in the Leupold MK4 line of scopes, I was hoping this reticle would be the same thickness.

I'd like to look through one of these VX-R Patrols to see for myself, but I may take a second look at the 2.5-10x Vortex Viper PST. The NF 2.5-10x is also on my short list for this gun (really on the high end of what I want to spend), but I actually had the opposite problem in that the NF mil-dot reticle was a little too fine and sometimes difficult for me to pick up quickly.

If it had the open spot in the center it would be fine IMO but sadly it doesn't.

Anybody have any input on the SPR Firedot ret subtensions? I'm having a hard time finding anything. I'm looking at a 1.25-4 pretty hard for my 16" AR.

Didn't want to start another thread when this one is already rolling from back in September.

We're still lacking the whole explanation as to why more expensive rings and bases are better than lower cost rings / bases when machined to the same specs/tolerances/ and materials.

I have often wondered why some of these rings/bases cost 3-4x the price of others, when the manufacturing process is nearly identical.

An explanation such as "$300 rings sound better on my $2000 scope" lacks any real design based logic. If it was "$300 rings are hand lapped, cut from the same piece of stock, and machined to .0000001th tolerances, where $60 rings aren't" then that'd be one thing. But I'm not reading that in here.

I'd be curious to hear some type of explanation from the manufacturers.

I wish I'd of bought one of these when I had the chance. Looks like a great scope for an AR.

Is that knob on the left side a focus/parallax adjustment, or is this scope fixed parallax? On the 1.25-4x it is just a battery holder...

Looks like a nice light scope for an AR... wish it was FFP.

That is a nice power there. I got the 1.25x4, and I love the lit retical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catalyst</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We're still lacking the whole explanation as to why more expensive rings and bases are better than lower cost rings / bases when machined to the same specs/tolerances/ and materials.

I have often wondered why some of these rings/bases cost 3-4x the price of others, when the manufacturing process is nearly identical.

An explanation such as "$300 rings sound better on my $2000 scope" lacks any real design based logic. If it was "$300 rings are hand lapped, cut from the same piece of stock, and machined to .0000001th tolerances, where $60 rings aren't" then that'd be one thing. But I'm not reading that in here.

I'd be curious to hear some type of explanation from the manufacturers. </div></div>

Are you on the same thread as I am? Pretty sure this was about the VX-R Patrol scope from Leupold.

I bought one from the group buy and am pleased with it. It is mounted on a Stormwerkz picatinny rail that sits on my longer barrel FN-FNC. Just the right range of magnification for that rifle and caliber. For the price, it was money well spent. Thanks to Blackops 2 for the Butler Creek scope cap numbers. I did not want to bring the scope into Gander Mountain to find the correct flip up covers for it. That was the only suggestion the associate on the floor could recommend. Now I can simply call first to see if they have the items in stock.

I've had this scope now for several months, and have shot with it enough that I feel pretty confident in it's use so I figured I'd post an update.

I am very happy with this scope. I keep it in my patrol bag in the passenger seat of my car along with a bipod.
2012-03-04122338.jpg

I have the scope in an ADM mount that I can put on quickly once I pull off the Aimpoint that stays on the rifle. I have timed the whole process. From in the rack, I can pull the rifle, lose the aimpoint, mount the Luppy and put on the bipod in about 15 seconds. That's much faster than stopping, getting out, and digging a precision rifle out of the trunk.

Here is the setup:
IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

In this pic, I had a single-lever ADM mount. When I put it on, the rifle always shot low left on the first shot. Then, everything was fine. I found out that if I gave the rifle a good smack on the muzzle onto the ground, it would shoot to POA. I didn't want to have to smack it or shoot it (the levers were plenty tight, and I did push the optic forward when I mounted it). I have since switched to the 2-lever mount by ADM, and it returns to zero fine.

The reticle is thick - but it doesn't impede my shooting terribly. This is not a purpose built precision rig - it is a stock Colt that I put a free-float tube on. It is a quasi-DMR rifle for patrol work if I need to see better. It is at best a 1 MOA gun, usually around 1.5 MOA for five shots with our duty ammo (55 gr Black Hills soft point). While the reticle covers a 1" dot at 100, I found that if I turn the illumination on, it really helps me shoot groups. I can see the dot moving more easily than I notice the reticle wobble.

Reticle pic (scope not mounted) of a cat under a truck at 90 yards:
2012-06-04153521.jpg

Frankly, for the role this rifle plays, the thicker reticle and SFP is perfect. I have some FFP scopes, and those reticles get awful small when you dial way down (this scope lives on 3x most of the time). It is not ideal for long-range shooting, but is more than adequate.

I have shot this every 50 yards out to 500, which I think is the max effective range of this system (the 55 gr bullet is at about 1200 FPS at that range - akin to a .22 lr at the muzzle power-wise). It won't knock over Larue target at 500 no matter how many times you hit it or how fast, and it is dropping like a rock with our ammo out there. Maybe a heavier, more streamlined bullet would help, but we don't issue those so I don't use them (per policy). The reticle is in no way an impediment to shooting out to 500, and likely would not be for much further. The reticle makes elevation and wind holds easy when dialed up to 9.

The fire dot kicks ass. It is stupid easy to use, more than bright enough for daylight use, and has an auto-shutoff feature that has precluded me from running the battery down like I do when I leave on every other illuminated reticle.

I find that I either have this on 3 or 9, and pretty much don't screw with anything in between. The magnification ring makes this easy. I like the mag ring setup on this scope much better than that of the Mk4 3.5-10x40. If there was a small cat tail available, I'd buy one, but it's useable as-is much more easily than most scopes.

The turrets are great for my use. They are low enough profile that they don't snag on anything but are still very easy to use. The mil adjustments are what I am used to now, and my dope card doesn't need a mil column for holdover and an MOA column for comeups. Everything is the same, and it's easy to not have to convert anything. There is no indicator telling you what turn you're on, and no zero stop. This hasn't been a problem since I shoot it only to modest ranges. I never go past the 6 mils available on the first turn, so getting a turn off doesn't happen (3.8 mils for 500). I've only box tested the scope once, but it was spot one. It's been spot on every time I shot it at the longer ranges (past 100), and has always come back to zero (I use a 50 yard zero). I'm happy with the turrets and tracking.

The glass is very good. I was surprised that it was as bright and clear as it was for a scope in this price range. The lack of parralax adjustment has not been an issue. I have shot it as close as 25 yards - the target gets a little fuzzy, but I can still see fine.

I have been exceedingly pleased with this scope purchase. It's not the perfect sniper scope. It is a superb patrol rifle scope for those who want to push the range of their weapon out or who may need a little more magnification to see into that window or door while on a perimeter. Leupold did a really good job on this one, and I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a scope to fit the bill for this type of use.

Got the caps in they fit snug but are the right size Butler Creek 26 and 13.

Hey guys , I've got a LMT MWS that I need to scope. Up until this weekend, I was dead set on a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 but because of budget this weekend I started considering other less expensive options. This Patrol VX-R looks like a good candidate- would rather have a higher mag VX-R but you can't get the TMR reticle in those.

My question is this- is the VX-R a noticeably better scope than these Vortex I keep reading about? In the Vortex lineup I was looking at the PST 2.5-10x44- is the Leupy quality higher? I love my Mark 4 LRT that's on my FN. Just trying to find an alternative to the NF that will be a good scope. Intended use is some deer hunting out to about 300 yards but also want to be able to hit steel out to 600 or so.

Thanks guys.

I was very interested in the 4-12 model, but they don't offer it with the TMR reticle.

WTF Leupold????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My question is this- is the VX-R a noticeably better scope than these Vortex I keep reading about?</div></div>

Tag for this question...also curious how it optically compares with the Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40 mil/mil (I know the Weaver has no illumination and no side focus).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was very interested in the 4-12 model, but they don't offer it with the TMR reticle.

WTF Leupold???? </div></div>

No crap, if they had a decent reticle in the 4-12 i would but 2 right now. I already have the 1-4 and 3-9..... I likes em alot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys , I've got a LMT MWS that I need to scope.</div></div>

Get the super sniper 3-9 or Sightron Siii 3.5-10 mil-mil. And yes the PST 2.6-10 and 4-16 are good, I didn't really like them optically but you might and they have tons of features for the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ker2222</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was very interested in the 4-12 model, but they don't offer it with the TMR reticle.

WTF Leupold???? </div></div>

No crap, if they had a decent reticle in the 4-12 i would but 2 right now. I already have the 1-4 and 3-9..... I likes em alot!</div></div>

I suggested a 4-12 with the TMR in the VX-R tactical line to Leupold and the response that I got back said that they had received numerous requests for that set-up. I wouldn't be surprised if we see one eventually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooterman017</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody have any input on the SPR Firedot ret subtensions? I'm having a hard time finding anything. I'm looking at a 1.25-4 pretty hard for my 16" AR.

Didn't want to start another thread when this one is already rolling from back in September.</div></div>

I have the 1.25-4 and have been pretty happy with it. Here is the Leupold manual explaining the SPR reticle.
http://www.leupold.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Tactical-Milling-Reticle-Man.pdf?9d7bd4

The 4-12 VXR would still have too thick of a reticule if they used that illumination system and it doesn't have a parallax adjustment. The first you can't do anything about if it has that same illumination system, the latter would have to be added.

If you want the 4-12 right now I am almost 100% positive you can get it with a BDC reticule and a BDC knob tailored to whatever round you're shooting. So would be the next best thing to having a mil reticule and mil knobs.