• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes New Leupold Mark IV M5 FFP Series

CSTactical

Sniper's Hide Vendor
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    www.cstactical.com
    MK4 M5 8.5-25x50 LR/T Illum.

MK4 M5 8.5-25x50 ER/T FFP

Leupold Mk 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50mm M5 FFP

MK4 M5 4.5-14x50 ER/T FFP

MK4 M5 3.5-10x40 LR/T FFP

4649466490_f4f6885094.jpg

4648851819_5928a03406.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold M5 at 6.5x TMR</span>
    4649473900_2f504cc9ae.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">
    Leupold M5 at 20x TMR</span>
    4649472092_2b4786ec3e.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CuygTsi7Lpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

Re: New Leupold Mk 4 M5 6.5-20 FFP

If only the M5's were available as a retro.

Rory

6.5-20X - $1699, 8.5-25X - $1899 on several websites. No illuminated reticle so it should'nt cost anywhere near the Nightforce. Extra magnification is nice. Mike when are these available?

Finally. Nice to see the M5 is here. I'm not a Leupold guy, but for the die hard Leupold fans, this fills a gap that has been long empty.

I guess since it only has 5 mils per rev, does it come with a zero stop for guys shooting the big bores with huge dope numbers? I would think the 8.5-25 model would cater to that crowd and a ZS would be an almost necessary addition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: danrodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5-20X - $1699, 8.5-25X - $1899 on several websites. No illuminated reticle so it should'nt cost anywhere near the Nightforce. Extra magnification is nice. Mike when are these available? </div></div>

They are available now. I personally took those pics. The scope pictured has been bought and is going out, but we have more coming in this week that are not spoken for...

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

I've got one, and I really like it. The zoom range is ideal, the reticle pattern is excellent, the MRad knobs on this one track great. On a Surgeon action with a 20 MOA slope, I've got 18 Mil up left after zero, way more than I need for a .308. The lack of a zero stop has never bothered me, I just note the turns up from bottom and drive on. The vernier mark is pretty easy to see, but you can always slip some washers under the knob to make a stop.

This is a scope Leupold should have made years ago.

I have two Leupold 6.5-20X50M1 scopes, with FFP reticles. They are Gen II reticles installed by Premier.

I like the scope and love the reticle - but the zoom range is far from ideal. Nightforce, U.S. Optics, and Schmidt & Bender all offer scopes with a significantly greater zoom ratio than 3:1.

Leupold would be more competitive if they would get off the dime and try to catch up.

A larger zoom range is always a bonus, and I agree on the comments of lack of illumination, zero stop, etc.

But for me, a heavy bolt action rifle is 90% of time used supported (bipod, ruck, etc.) at ranges longer than 75 m, so 3X magnification is seldom if ever needed. 5X or more is needed to use a mil reticle, so depending on your use you don't lose much with this 6.5-20X range.

I agree it would be nice to have a Leupold 5-25 but even on my 5-25x scopes I tend to stay around 8x for my lowest setting.

Mike @ CST

Lindy, do you have any reticle pics of those Premier GEN II Leupolds?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJWkrlu7-9E"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJWkrlu7-9E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

What is the adjustment range of the Mark 4 6.5-20X50mm I need something with at least 22 mils of adjustment.

Not that it makes a great deal of difference but where are the parts made for these scopes and are they assembled in the USA.

I just happen to be in the market for a scope like this and was actually leaning towards the MK4 6.5-20 w/TMR but may have to consider the MK5.
    Thanks for the info

Everything is cnc in the USA, lens come from all over the world depending on what is the best buy at the time or quality. But in the lens world glass typically only comes from 5 places in the world. My friends brother works for them and gave him a tour of the factory a couple years ago and everything in the mark 4 line is built, cnc, etc here in the USA. Being in the Army We only use Leupolds and USO(if you are lucky) as "sniper" optics. The only complaints that I have heard about leupolds in operational theater was the lack of power and adjustment range and that was the mark 4 10X40 M3 tony rogers (read tony rogers)and the mark 4 3-10 M2.

Like Franky said they MK4 are built here in the USA. I'm believe the glass comes from Japan. The M5 turrets are rally nice and positive, the glass is very clean, the reticle is nice sharp lines. Form the over all feel and just handling it I will have to say Leupold did a great job with this scope. I will be testing one out in the next few weeks.

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like Franky said they MK4 are built here in the USA. I'm believe the glass comes from Japan. The M5 turrets are rally nice and positive, the glass is very clean, the reticle is nice sharp lines. Form the over all feel and just handling it I will have to say Leupold did a great job with this scope. I will be testing one out in the next few weeks.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Are you going to do tracking exercises and report those results?

This sounds interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pappy42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Are you going to do tracking exercises and report those results?

This sounds interesting. </div></div>

We will be doing a very thorough TRACKING TEST.

Mike @ CST

How many mils in one turn??

Awesome scopes...now if they can illuminate FFP that would be the bomb....Price is really great on those!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Mike

is it marked Made in USA on it /

Thanks, </div></div>

4967883275_a8f9c3fe8a_z.jpg

4967863217_6f197cf884_z.jpg

It does not say "Made in USA" but if it's made in China or Japan it has to be marked accordingly. See this photo of a Vortex Viper to compare:

4968498280_2c313b3e2e_z.jpg

"As far as we have been told", the Mark IV are made in the US. We have also been told by other scope manufacturers that if they are made somewhere else they have to be marked accordingly, meaning a sticker, engraving, etc. The second focal plane Nightforces are marked made in Japan as well.

I could be wrong, but as far as "I have been told," this is what I know.

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

Now if they can only make a M3 style Mil turret w/ 10 mils per turn. That would be outstanding.

How's the glass on these new Leupys relative to Nightforce? Is it still the same beta level glass like the VX3's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason.S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just mounted the new scope. And just wanted to say thanks mike I think it is exactly what I need. </div></div>

Glad you're happy with it! It's a definitely a solid scope...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How's the glass on these new Leupys relative to Nightforce? Is it still the same beta level glass like the VX3's? </div></div>

Personally, I would say the Nightforce has little bit better glass than the Leupold but some people would say they like the Leupold glass just the same as the Nightforce.

When comparing the M5 FFP TMR Reticle to the Nightforce MLR Reticle in FFP (and I'm only referring to NF FFP here) I would say the line quality is a little nicer on the Leupold M5's.

4649472092_2b4786ec3e.jpg

We do have more M5's in-stock with the TMR reticle...

<span style="color: #3333FF">Leupold Mark IV <span style="font-weight: bold">M5</span> 4.5-14x50mm FFP</span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">Leupold Mark IV <span style="font-weight: bold">M5</span> 6.5-20x50mm FFP</span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">Leupold Mark IV <span style="font-weight: bold">M5</span> 8.5-25x50mm FFP</span>

Thanks,

Mason @ CST

Does the eye relief change with magnfication on these as with previous Leupold scopes or was that changed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wegner426</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the eye relief change with magnfication on these as with previous Leupold scopes or was that changed? </div></div>
    On the ones that I have tested the eye relief is longer at the lower magnification (3.5-4+ inches) and around 3-3.5inches at the max magnification. Just make sure that you put it at the highest magnification when you mount it. If you do this you will not notice anything different in terms of eye relief going up and down the magnification. In terms of eye relief these scopes are a lot better than the Vortex Razor in my opinion.(I had to practically put my eyeball on the lens of the Razor at 20X, then I looked like a beat up boxer by days end)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1luckeyt/a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if they can only make a M3 style Mil turret w/ 10 mils per turn. That would be outstanding. </div></div>
    +1

Would live to see Zero stops and Illumination then I would consider
    being a Leupold owner again.

We are all waiting for Leupold to start retrofitting our scopes to M5 turrets. I believe if the pricing is right it will be a gold mine for them. Company seems to move too slowly any may loose out on the Mildot/turret craze momentum. Many will not wait and move on to another manufacturer.

Sure seems to be some nice stuff hittin the streets lately. When the builds are done and the pockets start getting lined again i will be calling you for some scopes for them. And thanks to you fellows who go out of your way to spend the time to post photos and give reviews on these new products that come out. Your time has been instrumental in helping me out understanding the functions on these high end scopes and to want and save to purchase some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... And thanks to you fellows who go out of your way to spend the time to post photos and give reviews on these new products that come out. Your time has been instrumental in helping me out understanding the functions on these high end scopes and to want and save to purchase some. </div></div>

I agree, you guys are awesome. And the vendors on the Hide here are wonderful too. Thanks guys and gals who help educate us and stand behind your products and services. It's good to be in this land of the free! Thanks to the freedom fighters too, you help make it all possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MeridianNW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I agree, you guys are awesome. And the vendors on the Hide here are wonderful too. Thanks guys and gals who help educate us and stand behind your products and services. It's good to be in this land of the free! Thanks to the freedom fighters too, you help make it all possible.
    </div></div>

Thanks!

Mason @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1luckeyt/a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if they can only make a M3 style Mil turret w/ 10 mils per turn. That would be outstanding. </div></div>
    +1 </div></div>

+2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tan Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1luckeyt/a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if they can only make a M3 style Mil turret w/ 10 mils per turn. That would be outstanding. </div></div>
    +1 </div></div>

+2 </div></div>

+3

I'm really happy with the M5 1/10mil turret but a 1/10mil M3 would be really nice.

Mike @ CST

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuygTsi7Lpo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuygTsi7Lpo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I have had this scope in 6.5-20 for over a month, and have been doing an Extensive "Box" test on the tracking with an Expensive, very accurate .22 trainer and its tracking just fine. Layed out on a mill spaced grid and a Big pc. of card board and its been fantastic so far.

I feel its a great "Value" for FFP and Mill/Mill configuration

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vprtoad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had this scope in 6.5-20 for over a month, and have been doing an Extensive "Box" test on the tracking with an Expensive, very accurate .22 trainer and its tracking just fine. Layed out on a mill spaced grid and a Big pc. of card board and its been fantastic so far.

I feel its a great "Value" for FFP and Mill/Mill configuration</div></div>

+1 Glad you like it

Mason @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Mike

is it marked Made in USA on it /

Thanks, </div></div>

4967883275_a8f9c3fe8a_z.jpg

4967863217_6f197cf884_z.jpg

It does not say "Made in USA" but if it's made in China or Japan it has to be marked accordingly. See this photo of a Vortex Viper to compare:

4968498280_2c313b3e2e_z.jpg

"As far as we have been told", the Mark IV are made in the US. We have also been told by other scope manufacturers that if they are made somewhere else they have to be marked accordingly, meaning a sticker, engraving, etc. The second focal plane Nightforces are marked made in Japan as well.

I could be wrong, but as far as "I have been told," this is what I know.

Thanks,

Mike @ CST </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">All</span></span> Leupold rifle scopes are made in Beaverton, Oregon. Many of the binos and spotting scopes are made overseas and marked accordingly.

More in-stock...Here's a pic of the TMR reticle at 20x. As I mentioned in the video, the photo doesn't give you the quality that you see looking through the scope in person, but you can still see the scope has a good field-of-view all the way around.

5242941544_194be2aeae_b.jpg

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MK4Fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold rifle scopes are made in Beaverton, Oregon. Many of the binos and spotting scopes are made overseas and marked accordingly.</div></div>
    I wonder why they don't mark them according then? Where are the internal parts made?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recce556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MK4Fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold rifle scopes are made in Beaverton, Oregon. Many of the binos and spotting scopes are made overseas and marked accordingly.</div></div>
    I wonder why they don't mark them according then? Where are the internal parts made? </div></div>

It is said it's because of California law that states if any part is made overseas, you cannot mark the product "Made in the USA." I believe the glass in Leupold scopes comes from Japan (probably some other parts too) so that would be a violation of California law if they marked them accordingly.