• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New McMillan HTG M40A1 smear stocks!!!

I saw the molded in forest camo one list as a smear. Messaged them and they changed it. Still left the super high price for a new production forest camo htg stock

That auction title is a bit misleading but they do say its a reproduction down in the description. Simple and straightforward would have been to just say, Reproduction M40A1 smear stock by McMillan.

Looks like #008

That auction title is a bit misleading but they do say its a reproduction down in the description. Simple and straightforward would have been to just say, Reproduction M40A1 smear stock by McMillan.

Looks like #008
I agree but people do shady shit like that to say. Well it’s in the description.

I agree but people do shady shit like that to say. Well it’s in the description.
I wouldn't say shady but definitely trying to draw as many eyes as possible. That's like many auctions will put firearm names or brand names that aren't what is being auctioned in the title/description so that they pop up in as many searches as possible.

I saw the molded in forest camo one list as a smear. Messaged them and they changed it. Still left the super high price for a new production forest camo htg stock
Think I'm looking at that one now. Its got an extra uncle mikes added for a harris bipod. It has a interesting fill. I've seen a couple with that sorta fudge swirl look. Don't know what that indicates for age or time period of manufacture. It's a darker green base for the forrest pattern. I don't know if those were first or the lighter green base was.

Reactions: msr_762
I have always been and remain a fan of McMillan. They provided substantial help to the SH Ghost Dancer Rifle project back when this site was starting out, and I, for one, remain totally grateful to them.

The main reason I might covet such a st0ck would be for the purpose of recreating an M40A1, a project which do not currently have in my queue. If I did, I would go directly to the purchase option..

The stocks look like they could be mistaken for the original items.

Greg

Reactions: D_TROS
One of the perks of being a tool maker and working in a machine shop. You can and do make cool shit. A down side is cutting oil is everywhere’s, including on the len of your camera on your phone. The up side to that is it gives you a default glamour shot of the things you make 😂 I’ll give you one guess as to what these are for.

Attachments

• IMG_4689.jpeg
    IMG_4689.jpeg
    616.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4578.jpeg
    IMG_4578.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4707.jpeg
    IMG_4707.jpeg
    451.1 KB · Views: 58
One of the perks of being a tool maker and working in a machine shop. You can and do make cool shit. A down side is cutting oil is everywhere’s, including on the len of your camera on your phone. The up side to that is it gives you a default glamour shot of the things you make 😂 I’ll give you one guess as to what these are for.
You gave them the JJ Abrams lens flare for effect. I have no Idea what they are.

I always have that problem except for being able to make cool stuff. Ilocut 5720 gets everywhere.

What barrel brand do most of you use for a M40A1 build? I did use Schneider for a M40A3 build in 2020

Thanks

What barrel brand do most of you use for a M40A1 build? I did use Schneider for a M40A3 build in 2020

Thanks
Hart or Schneider. But to probably be honest as long as the twist and contour were correct any good manufacturers barrel would work. Most people would not even know how to tell the differences.

I know when my Friend was in the Marines they had Hart barrels on the M40A1s then from what he told me. Did they use Hart at one time?
Hart, HS Precision, and Schneider starting very late 90s and early 2000s for barrel brands are what we had. I think we had some Douglas here and there too, it's been a bit though so don't take that to the bank.

They're all good but I'll put it this way, I just ordered a new Schneider for mine.

I have Schneiders already. So this time I’m going Hart on the new smear. Also, wasn’t there a barrel company that started with an “A” (can’t remember they’re name) that was also used early on?

Reactions: ChanceDoane
Seen the Unertl 10X on the CMP auction? Currently at $4253 with 8 days to go.....and it has the USO mod.

A question for any 2112’s trained and experienced in the old ways:
From what we’ve seen of these new release Smear stocks, would you have preferred to receive your M40A1 stocks in this form or the uninletted version originally used? Would factory in letting have made as accurate a rifle, or was hand fitting necessary to to achieve your specs?

I didn’t get the cool sticker with mine!!!!!
Did you empty out the clear sleeve with the invoice slapped on the outside of the shipping box (should be right above the UPS label)? The sticker was placed behind the folded paper invoice in there.

I received my stock #30. I had two stickers in the box. One red and one black. Also my recoil lug cut out is for the standard.187 recoil lug. Super Nice Stock!

This is the reply I got yesterday from McMillan in regards to the stocks that had the recoil lug cut for a 5/16th recoil lug. That’s still an error stock, since this is a spec m40a1 stock 50th anniversary smear with a different recoil lug cutout from McMillan that isn’t spec.

Attachments

• IMG_4713.jpeg
    IMG_4713.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Reactions: kft101
True, they could just be badly mistaken but it is a dealer so I would think they'd google if it could earn more money. Its nearly $2700 now with a couple days to go. It will likely go higher before its over.
It went higher alright. 23 bids put it up to its sold price of $3625.99 on the 24th of october.

Those stickers are neat but the rifles and stocks represented weren't around in '73. 🤓 Would have been cooler with crossed m40a1 with 1973 on one side and 2023 on the other. Even better, as a challenge coin. That could be a project for LRI.

Last edited:
This is the reply I got yesterday from McMillan in regards to the stocks that had the recoil lug cut for a 5/16th recoil lug. That’s still an error stock, since this is a spec m40a1 stock 50th anniversary smear with a different recoil lug cutout from McMillan that isn’t spec.
So you got an extra special oopsmear. You'll have to build it with the bigger lug to keep it's uniqueness. Wonder how few oopsmears are in people's hands?

Reactions: gatorbait308
So you got an extra special oopsmear. You'll have to build it with the bigger lug to keep it's uniqueness. Wonder how few oopsmears are in people's hands?
Talked with several people on here and know of 2 so far. Both are in the 20’s range

The one I pictured is #22. The other im aware of is #25. So, 28 and 30 are correctly cut. I don’t know if it was a good thing or bad thing to bring this to the attention of McMillan. Their either not gonna care or make damn sure that the next ones that are inletted are done correctly. If they do correct this error, then those stocks become ever rarer. Once bedded it’s not gonna mean shit, but for a collector who isn’t gonna build it. It’s an error and rare which mean more $$$. I’m gonna build mine.

Since they offered to fill it and re-cut it. It would be even rarer and hilarious if the next batch had some corrected error stocks in there 🤷‍♂️

Who ever got the other ones in the range from 20-30, please post what your recoil lug cut is. Or message me and I’ll post it for you anonymously.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChanceDoane
I did not buy mine to leave it in the box! It will be built as well!

McMillan done a Fine Job on these Commemorative Smear M40A1 Stocks!

Has anyone tried their bottom metal in these new stocks for fix?
For Fix?
I put mine together the stock is a touch larger i am guessing because it supposed to be bedded. I am not sure how they fit on original stocks.