• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Member and Optics Question

eschatts

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Guys - Hi I am new to this forum. I just purchased a new Remington 700 VTR in 223. I am having analysis paralysis on scopes. I am hoping some suggestions would come from all of you. I am thinking about the Weaver Tactical Scope - 3-15x50 30mm. What are your thoughts? Any other suggestions. I am mostly going to be shooting at the range. Might decide to get into some long range shooting and maybe hunting once in awhile. I like the idea of the FFP feature. Oh then when I decide on a scope what mounting ring system should I consider. I think I have ruled out a rail system where the front and back are mated together. My reasoning on this is based on some of the research that I have done where the scope may not line up as well.

Re: New Member and Optics Question

There are many variables that need to be taken into account for a decent answer. Next, there is no "right or wrong". Opinions are varied, some based on experience, others based on pulling crap out of their ass. So take a consensus and go with your gut feeling.

1. What's your budget?
2. What's "at the range"?
3. What's "long range shooting and some hunting once in a while"?
4. Are you familiar with the mil or moa system?

Your "research" is bullshit. Get a one piece rail and a good set of rings and be done with it.

The Weaver tactical is a great scope in its price range, also have a look at the vortex viper pst 4-16x ffp scope, which is the weaver's only real competitor in the price range, you can't go wrong with either. As far as a mounting system, I can't help since I love picatinny bases, there's really nothing wrong with a rail system, I have an EGW base and burris rings, works flawlessly.

Thanks for the honest feedback. LOL. I will check out the other scope as well. If anyone else has feedback, just chime in.

personally if i were looking for a ffp scope south of 1000 dollars id go straight to the pst

another +1 for the Vortex. I love my 2.5-10x PST. It tracks, has clear glass, and of course all the options one could want except FFP. Also look at DNZ products mounting systems. I have a Game Reaper Tactical one piece 30mm base with a 20 MOA cant. I love it, and its solid, with a decent price. Here is some for the remington, http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_54

Happy hunting.

I have been researching the Weaver tactical line and it seems like most people think they are one of the best values under $700. Check out Opticsthoughts.com. He is a trusted reviewer and gives some thoughts on some of the Viper PST's in his mid-range tactical review.

Thanks guys. So if I go with the weaver it seems that I should go with the med height harris rings. Is that correct? Also you guys talked me into the piccany rail. I still don't know if I should kick that much for a scope. What do you guys suggest in the 400 dollar price range? The nikon m223 looks alright. Thanks.

I say that if you have the means to buy the scope, don't cheap out, the weaver is an amazing scope and you won't regret buying it, I recently purchased one from a guy on here (should be here on tuesday) but I have used it in the past and it is great, just buy it! as far as bases go, as with anything else, it depends on how much you want to spend, I personally love EGW bases, great for the price, you should look into them yourself, but there are many options at many prices, there's badger, nightforce, weaver makes an affordable one as well, just do a search here and you'll find many options to choose from. As far as rings go, mediums should be just fine, I use burris' on my savage as well as other scope rings on other rifles (weaver, leupold, etc.) its what I use on my savage, I'm sure a lot of people on here run the scope with low rings though, it depends on how low you want the scope to be (some guys prefer to have it as low as possible, I prefer to have a small gap to ensure my butler creeks fit).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eschatts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. So if I go with the weaver it seems that I should go with the med height harris rings. Is that correct? Also you guys talked me into the piccany rail. I still don't know if I should kick that much for a scope. What do you guys suggest in the 400 dollar price range? The nikon m223 looks alright. Thanks.</div></div>

The most important piece in a gun build is the optics, You can have the best shooting gun ever and if the optics, tracking and repetitiveness of the scope suffers you will never see the potential of the gun or operator, spend smart not cheep on good glass and a company that backs it.

+1 Vortex = I recently purchased a Vortex PST with the doubts of this really being true, I must say I AM IMPRESSED!,

Warranty = AMAZING!
Glass = GOOD (comparable to Leupold VX-3)
Tracking = EXCELLENT
MOA/MOA RETICLE = Matching Turrets!
Illum Reticle = BONUS!

What a DEAL, I have owned NightForce, Leupold Mark 4's, and Zeiss Conquests. This scope is a definate competitor with all the above brands.

MAKE THE MOVE, YOU WONT BE SORRY!

VORTEX VIPER PST 6-24x50 MOA

FFP in the Weaver price range would be PST and Bushnell Elite tactical.

So I kicked for the weaver. I was going to take it in to get mounted, but I decided that I am going to do it. Any tips? It does not look that hard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoshAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been researching the Weaver tactical line and it seems like most people think they are one of the best values under $700. </div></div>

thats because there only competition under 700 is the falcon.

Wait, you have the weaver and want to mount it? Sorry, just need to clear it up a bit.

To mount it, get a bubble level, you can get one for a couple bucks at a hardware store, check the level of the rifle so you know how to level the scope, place the scope on the rings, check the level by putting the bubble level on the top of the turret, once you ensure that its right, tighten the rings to 15-20lbs (depends on the rings). Its actually not that difficult, mounted my own scope on my first rifle without any help and its still mounted and shooting just fine, anyone can do it.

Does anyone have any experience with falcon scopes I've been looking for a cheaper ffp mil/mil scope.