• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New member introduction/glass questions

Red_Beard

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Hello all,
I am a new member here, but have been using the site for research for months now. I have been blown away by the volume of knowledge in this group and am honored to be able to get your opinions (suck up points +1). I am not new to shooting as I have shot competitive small bore as a junior and have been hunting/reloading since I was old enough to shoulder a weapon, but I am new to the longer range shooting. I am currently putting together by first 1000 meter gun (ar-15 chambered in 6.5 grendel with a 20" Shilen barrel) and am beyond confused by the choices in optics. I really don't want to pony up more than 3k for a Hensoldt or S&B if I don't have to, but at the same time do not want to compromise quality. I will shut up now and let the experts speak, and if I can answer any questions about myself or my rifle to help you with the advise just let me know.

Re: New member introduction/glass questions

Welcome aboard Red47

There is a vast amount of knowledge here and I am sure we will get you lined up. Lets get the ball rolling for ya;)

First question what's your budget?
Preference of MIL vs MOA
Is this a dedicated 1k gun or will it be dual/multiple purpose, hunting, plinking etc?

This should help in getting some great opinions.

Regards,
Ken

Ken, thanks for the quick response. This will be a multi distance gun, so ranging capabilities are a must. I strongly prefer mil/mil. As far as budget goes, the cheaper the better, but as stated above I don't want too much compromise. My absolute hardline limit I will set at 3k. I should note that I am not in a hurry considering my upper is still probably 2 months out. Also, since ranging is a priority, a FFP reticle is necessity.

This one is up to you, but here are my thoughts. 3k is allot of money to me, but at that your so close to a Bender, so why not go all the way and get one. If I was not going to spend that much I would tone it way down and go with SWFA, Vortex Razor, Nightforce, hell I am not even against a Leupold Mark 4. All will work nicely.

Darkarcher, LOL. I know exactly what you mean about being close, and that is why I set my limit where I did. I started out with a 1k budget and then realized that for a few hundred more I could make huge steps in quality. I have no problem backing the price down, but I really don't want to go any higher. If I can find a used S&B I will obviously consider it, but I just can't pony up any more for a new one.

Honestly with the negative feedback regarding S&B lately I, myself, would not be willing to drop that kind of money on one at the moment. Im currently using a NF NXS F1(3.5-15x50) and don't have a single bad thing to say about it.. The F1 is FFP, tracks perfect, has crisp clicks, and pretty decent glass as well. It sound to me like it fits your needs as well as your budget. Just be sure to do the research yourself and if you happen to end up going this route talk to Chris over at Sportoptics, he'll surely fix you up.

I have an SWFA 5-20x50 SS HD riding on my AR-10 in 6.5 creedmoor and love it. It is a beast of a scope but running mil/mil with a decent reticle solid turrets and great internal travel its a great option for around $1200 I beleive. A lot of guys like the Vortex PST 6-24x50 and run around 899.99. I personally just ordered a Vortex Razor 5-20x50 for my new bolt gun they are around 1999.99 but have a lot of great options and I looked at them for quite a while.

I'd be strongly inclined to go with either a Nightforce F1 3-15x or Vortex Razor HD 5-20x, depending upon your perceived needs for magnification range. I own both, I'm happy with both, and they would leave you with several hundred dollars left over for purchasing ammo or other goodies.

The only issue with the Razor is that you'd need to find 35mm rings (or an integrated mount) with the correct height for a flat-top AR, which usually means something in the neighborhood of 1.375" from top of the rail to center of the ring bore (at least in my experience with 50mm objectives on such a rig).

A Nightforce F1 would be a damn good choice for that price point. Also, you can often find new Bushnell HDMR's in the Optics for Sale section here for under $1200 shipped and new SWFA SS 5-20x50mm for under $1100 shipped. The great thing about high end optics is that they hold value very well. If you buy a scope and don't like it, you can sell it with a relatively small loss and buy a different one.

I can pick up a USO Ergo (my preference over the tpal) within my price range and also a Premier LT. Do either of these options change your opinions?

I was just in your situation. Mine's a .260 bolt gun. I was looking at S&B, Steiner, Kahles. Today I went with the Kahles 624i. Some feedback here and talking with some folks alluded that the turrets are better on the Kahles. Apparently the detents/clicks are harder to feel and are closer together on the Steiner. I liked where the parallax is located on the Kalhes due to being a lefty.
cool.gif

HTH and good luck.

as a fellow lefty, I appreciate that kind of info. It is one of the reasons why I prefer the ERGO USO.

I have NO experience with them, but it seems to me your answer might be the march 3-24.
It is a fairly compact scope and should fit nicely on a 20" AR

I've had the March F 3-24 42mm on my custom Rem 700 308 and love it. FFP, mil/mil,with good optics, turrets and novel zero stop. 2/3 rds the lenght and weight of other premium scopes. <10 yd parallex focus. Holding up well and seems very rugged. 5 year warranty bothers some, but Kelby has said he will take care of us with any problems. $2260 for non illuminated shipped. Contact Kelby Rifle. Can read sosme reviews here on the Hide by Fireguyti, if you search. I know many choices can be confusing, especially when spending 2-3 grand. Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fire4fx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just in your situation. Mine's a .260 bolt gun. I was looking at S&B, Steiner, Kahles. Today I went with the Kahles 624i. Some feedback here and talking with some folks alluded that the turrets are better on the Kahles. Apparently the detents/clicks are harder to feel and are closer together on the Steiner. I liked where the parallax is located on the Kalhes due to being a lefty.
cool.gif

HTH and good luck. </div></div>

We've revamped the turrets on the 5x-25x and the 3x-15x also incorporates these new turrets. Much more tactile now. Check them out if you get a chance. I think you'll be pleased.

I have just such an AR chambered for the Grendel. It is quote accurate and just makes it to 1000 yards before going subsonic. 1000 meters may be a pinch to far for mine with an 18" barrel.

A perfect scope for it is something along the lines of 3-15x50, 4-16x50, 3-12x50, etc. It worked great with the March 3-24x42 and Premier LT 3-15x50. At the moment I have simple 10x42 scope sitting on it, but I move scopes around quite a bit because of the scope testing I do. I started shooting from field positions with a sling more and wanted to go with a smaller/lighter scope.

I have used this rifle for testing higher magnification scopes and I found that while they work well for shooting prone and off the bench, they were generally a little too big and heavy and made the rifle a touch too unwieldy.

You have had Steiner and Kahles reps chime in on this thread. Out of their line-ups, I think Kahles K312 3-12x50 would make a nice match for the Grendel. Same for the Steiner 3-15x50.

ILya