• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Nightforce "B.E.A.S.T." & ATACR

BEAST estimated delivery is SEP or OCT (Per NF Rep).

Thanks Colster. I didn't see that you'd checked so I called also. Just to add a small modifier to the Sept/Oct estimate: Rep said late Sept/ early Oct for the early pre-orders. He said that for the customers NOT on an early pre-order (before orders were suspended several months ago) there was really no telling how long it could take to get it. I guess I need to call and see how far down the list I am with the retailer.

Thanks Colster. I didn't see that you'd checked so I called also. Just to add a small modifier to the Sept/Oct estimate: Rep said late Sept/ early Oct for the early pre-orders. He said that for the customers NOT on an early pre-order (before orders were suspended several months ago) there was really no telling how long it could take to get it. I guess I need to call and see how far down the list I am with the retailer.

All good...I ordered the MIL-R, was going with the H59 but changed mind. Like you said would be nice to know where a guy sits in the delivery list, looking forward to this real bad!
Mine was direct Mil order from NF so that may or may not help, not holding my breath.

Ordered mine today. Still a bunch of pre order spots available at Euro Optic, as they ordered a lot of them!

Wow that's awesome news for someone out there. I'm happy to say that I was the first to order a H59 from them. I really hope they don't push this back again. I'm gonna need it in Nov for deer season.

I am having doubts about the MIL-R now! Only because I am use to the H59, just wanted to try something different. I guess if I don't like it maybe there will be someone else out there who ends up not liking their H59 and trade them(plus H59 $). Man I hate waiting for stuff, I'm famous for buyers remorse :(

I mean the turret is well spaced and clearly marked, it's not like you are dialing blind...

How many guys in Competition or anywhere else are truly NOT looking at the turret.

You can see in the image, it's well spaced.
nfbeastcontrols.jpg

If you know you have a even number to dial, you just use the turret, if you have an odd number you go to the line before and hit the lever.

The main Mil is clearly marked, the 4 hash marks between are easy to see, you can easily find it.

Now I will say, if you are an MOA shooter, I feel bad for you, I would be confused using MOAs with this system. It would take a bit more time to use it. With mils it's easy, MOA at bit harder to figure out without using it.

That is part of the probably you are trying to do it without having in your hand. If you just glance up and 5.3 mils, you know, and can see, 5.2 mils easily then throw the lever.

Do you move the lever in between the even mil marks or do you make your even adjustments then just flip the lever and it automatically adds 0.1 mil?

Do you move the lever in between the even mil marks or do you make your even adjustments then just flip the lever and it automatically adds 0.1 mil?

Keep in mind that like most people awaiting these, I have yet to touch one, but from reading here my understanding it that you make your "coarse" adjustment .2 mils at a time and then "at the end" you add the .1 mil you may need. So if your dope called for +.7 you would turn 3 clicks (at .2 mil each) then throw the lever and add the final .1 mil.
God I hope I have that right.
Also I found out I am #6 in line at my retailer (H59 on order), so will hopefully get it in the first run. I think NF said they had like 1600 pre-ordered from dealers they're trying to get filled.

Keep in mind that like most people awaiting these, I have yet to touch one, but from reading here my understanding it that you make your "coarse" adjustment .2 mils at a time and then "at the end" you add the .1 mil you may need. So if your dope called for +.7 you would turn 3 clicks (at .2 mil each) then throw the lever and add the final .1 mil.
God I hope I have that right.
Also I found out I am #6 in line at my retailer (H59 on order), so will hopefully get it in the first run. I think NF said they had like 1600 pre-ordered from dealers they're trying to get filled.

That's correct.

Thanks Chris. Like everyone else all I can do is read about this thing until it finally shows up. I see you're a fellow Louisianian, does Sport Optics have a retail location in La or is it purely online sales?

They are getting ready, production models are around, they have it finalized,

The first block they made of the production run was MOA versions the NF guys are carrying. The next block that will trickle out are the mil version.

1233128_10151895363702953_1877890367_o.jpg

There is nothing wrong with the turrets, and the improvement made between SHOT and now are welcome ones. They are minor, moved a few things, but nothing radical.

Tod had one at the Oregon Sniper Match, and Bill had one at the SWAT Challenge, so I got to play with both. Other than being MOA they were solid.

The other side, the Brake is different and the windage Lock is different

556294_10151870206342953_1318627223_n.jpg

It is, but it is not a new idea, look up the Unertl MST-100 that served the USMC for almost 40 years.

The course adjust is .2 mil or .5MOA and the lever adjust .1 mils or .25MOA up, only.

In mils think Even, then Odd, or adding the .25 to round it out.

The scope has a huge elevation range because of it.

Man, I like everything about that scope......except that huge growth on top of the turret!

Did it get bigger?

Can someone explain this theory to me? Obviously there has to be reasoning for it, I just don't know and would like to. It seems it would be faster to just dial what you need instead of dialing .2 and then adding or subtracting .1 mil.

***Disregard, I started reading and located the answer.

Last edited:
Anyone gotten their BEAST yet? I ordered it 8 months ago and counting 8-{

NOPE. On the neighboring thread 'are you selling your existing optic to buy the BEAST' it sounds as though people have gotten word it won't be out till Jan 2014 now. I'll probably call NF this afternoon and see. They could save themselves thousands of man-hours in Customer Service calls if they'd post an update on their site.

I just got off the phone with NF. The CS rep said they had not been notified of another "push-back" and that they are looking at release at the end of the month. He said they're filling the Mil purchase first (about 400 units) then filling the pre-orders. If I understood properly (my cell signal SUCKED tonight from the sandbox) it sounded as though the mil order is rolling out now with Civ order immediately to follow.

Anyone else get the Oct 2013 Natchez catalog in the mail? They list the BEAST with MOAR at $2,328.00 which, I'm guessing is a typo? Don't even see NF on their website. I'd probably pick one up for that price!

Anyone else get the Oct 2013 Natchez catalog in the mail? They list the BEAST with MOAR at $2,328.00 which, I'm guessing is a typo
Wouldn't it be funny if they did that and dropped the ATACR? As far as the BEAST, you guys sure you want new scope right off the line? Nto wait 12 months for them to vet out the issues? Just curious.

Last edited:
So something I'm curious about... why are people so excited about the BEAST at this price point? Other than the increased MOA elevation, it has essentially no advantages over a S&B PMII, and is priced almost the same. (I purchased my 5-25 MTC w/MSR for <3500 new). Other than the advertising posters, there haven't been too many reviews of the glass or turret quality either.

Just seems like an unknown vs a known at the same price point.

Anybody know where you can get a cattail for the ATACR. Google searches have come up with nothing. No idea if the cattail from the NXS fits. Sorry if a repost

The NXS Throw lever does not fit. We are currently working on a model to fit the ATACR. We released models to fit the NXS and Pre PTL Compact NXS at SHOT. Unfortunately, not yet on our website.

The NXS Throw lever does not fit. We are currently working on a model to fit the ATACR. We released models to fit the NXS and Pre PTL Compact NXS at SHOT. Unfortunately, not yet on our website.

I managed to fit the MGM throw lever from an NXS on an ATACR. There is a considerable gap between the 2 halves where screwed together but works in the interim. I think the difference in thickness is about .1" in diameter from once scope to the other.

I know there are quite a few ATACR's out there in the wild now . What are your thoughts ? I'm thinking of picking one up for a .300 WinMag . I don't shoot sniper comps and always at known distances so the SFP doesn't bother me . Plus I like a nice fine aiming point at high magnifications . Would the ATACR be a good choice ?

I know there are quite a few ATACR's out there in the wild now . What are your thoughts ? I'm thinking of picking one up for a .300 WinMag . I don't shoot sniper comps and always at known distances so the SFP doesn't bother me . Plus I like a nice fine aiming point at high magnifications . Would the ATACR be a good choice ?

ATACRs are great scopes with awesome glass. I own both the NXS and ATACR. If I had to complain about the ATACR it would be the reticle subtension thickness. I like the MOAR reticle but the subtensions are twice as thick as the NXS subtension lines. If you are not shooting tactical matches and always shoot known distances, save yourself a few hundred and go with the NXS as the glass is great on this scope as well. <---of course all of that is in my humble opinion!!

ATACRs are great scopes with awesome glass. I own both the NXS and ATACR. If I had to complain about the ATACR it would be the reticle subtension thickness. I like the MOAR reticle but the subtensions are twice as thick as the NXS subtension lines. If you are not shooting tactical matches and always shoot known distances, save yourself a few hundred and go with the NXS as the glass is great on this scope as well. <---of course all of that is in my humble opinion!!

Thanks for your thoughts on the ATACR and take on the reticle . I'm debating between optics to replace a Zeiss 6-24 x 56 . It has been good to me but lacks the elevation adjustments I sometimes need . I know that I shouldn't focus on glass quality but it is so easy to get behind the Zeiss . I was thinking that the new Nightforce scopes with the improved glass would be just the ticket . Even looked at their competition models but they don't have the elevation range either . Not sure which way to go , some range days are dot drills at 100-300 yards and some are trying for first round hits at 1800 . I do always no the distance beforehand but perhaps I should throw in the towel and go FFP . I know Kahles has a reticle that maintains a fine aiming point at high magnifications . Decisions, decisions .

I'm getting tired of waiting. They're going to lose another customer to the 4.5-27x Vortex as I have a feeling that's going to be released before the BEAST is.

I'm just an American that wants a top of the line american scope. Please UNLEASH THE BEAST!!

I'm getting tired of waiting. They're going to lose another customer to the 4.5-27x Vortex as I have a feeling that's going to be released before the BEAST is.

I have always ran NF but havent dove in on the BEAST yet because of the wait issues but after reviewing the 4.5-27 I might be jumping ship and seeing if the Vortex is worth the 3k!!

I have always ran NF but havent dove in on the BEAST yet because of the wait issues but after reviewing the 4.5-27 I might be jumping ship and seeing if the Vortex is worth the 3k!!

Actually only $2.5k ;) Maybe less with a good vendor.

I got to look thru and briefly play with a Mil/Mil BEAST yesterday at a match. I certainly didnt spend enough time with it to give any feedback or even opinions, but the glass did appear to be very nice (to me). They do exist and this one that I played with has been used pretty hard for a few months. Already has some barrel scars on it.

to me Premier's glass is some of the best I have seen, glass quality, vibrant color, and resolution are really what makes or breaks a scope "my opinion".. How do these stack up? I see the money they are asking and it falls in with "top tier" optics.

How much longer on the BEAST? From what I remember reading it should be any day now right?