• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Nightforce "B.E.A.S.T." & ATACR

Re: New Nightforce "B.E.A.S.T." & ATACR

Anyone know the ring size of the BEAST?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oakland Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im going to be sick to my stomach if it does what I think it does. </div></div>

And what do you think it is going to do? Enlighten us.

Nice scope but theyve needed to step up their game for quite some time. The lack of an FFP scope has been an issue with them for a while. Yes it has some new gadgets but to me I dont see anything truly amazing on paper. Playing with it at SHOT might reveal a different opinion.

FFP - About time they come around
Illumination - Again, about time they catch up.

5-25x - Nice Magnification range. On par with S&B, A bit better than the Vortex Razor, but Bushnell still takes the win with their new 4-30

Adjustment - Awesome to have 20mil in a single turn! Will be interesting to see how tactile and positive the adjustments are and what the total adjustment range is.

Reticles - Nice range of options.

Clarity - They've always had good glass so I woulndt expect this to be any different.

Zero stop - Obviously a requirement and Im sure they have something different about their new design as well.

Other new functions - Wont know until I can play with it.

Price? - Well Im guessing it will be stupid expensive somewhere between a S&B and the new Leupold since they seem to be targeting the military with it and will surely tack on a hefty price tag.

Like I said, this is purely a paper comparison at this point and im sure those in the know that have had some hands on with it know the details that we dont.

Cant wait to see it though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PappaSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything new on Compact other than reticle?

hewlett260, thank you for the laugh, funny shit. </div></div>

If they can fit the MOAR in one it would be nice if the could make a MILR fit.... Or again a velocity reticle subtended in Mrad...

JJ </div></div>

The MOAR as well as the new IHR reticle are now available in the 2.5-10....

New Nightforce 2.5-10 web page

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other new functions - Wont know until I can play with it.</div></div>

Per the patent information that popped up on the interwebs a year or two ago, it seemed that NF was working on a way to (with the use of a switch) be able to change elevation click values back and forth. If they have 15 moa marked with 1/4moa clicks that's 60 clicks. If the switch then changes the click values to 1 moa, then they get the 60 moa per turn.

Now that's a lot of "ifs" and conjecture, but it makes sense to me. No clue how you keep track of what turn you're on though. I guess that's what the red turret on top is for.

My guess is that its a rocker switch that, by rocking it, automatically turns the elevation turret. Perhaps even battery powered?

The marketing is cheesy as hell. Next we will have the IOR "Monster", the Leupold "Bigfoot", and the Bushnell "Sasquatch"? I guess we can take up comic books and zombies, too.

Furthermore, it seems they spend time lurking here, but they don't take the time to listen to what their customers want. They must be too busy "changing the game" and coming up with cheesy marketing to pay attention to what the consumer believes is a hole in their lineup.

WE STILL WANT A 5.5-22x F1! Is Nightforce conceding that territory to Leupold, Bushnell, SWFA, and Vortex? The Mark 6, Razor HD, and HDMR keep looking better and better. I have liked the NXS line in the past, but having moved to FFP, they just don't appear to want my business. Guess I'll be shopping one of the other brands. I was really hoping to have a NF again.

ETA:

Also, MOAR and a hunting reticle added to the 2.5-10x? MOA shooters deserve something broken down further, but if you use mil, 1 mil is enough? Why not an MLR or similar on that scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon612</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other new functions - Wont know until I can play with it.</div></div>

Per the patent information that popped up on the interwebs a year or two ago, it seemed that NF was working on a way to (with the use of a switch) be able to change elevation click values back and forth. If they have 15 moa marked with 1/4moa clicks that's 60 clicks. If the switch then changes the click values to 1 moa, then they get the 60 moa per turn.

Now that's a lot of "ifs" and conjecture, but it makes sense to me. No clue how you keep track of what turn you're on though. I guess that's what the red turret on top is for. </div></div>

Interesting concept. Practicality in the field may vary but only time will tell. I was thinking the knob on top may be to screw down to lock in your current adjustment to avoid it getting bumped or rotated when slipping in and out of a bag or while carrying. Again, Who knows?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The elevation controls really go a step further than before, and its all one hand function. </div></div>

I think I got it.

The scope has an internal ballistic LRF that sends information to the turret where a tiny gnome inside the housing begins spinning the turret automatically to the proper adjustment once you simultaneously release the brake and depress the top of the turret. The gnome is sent into motion when the button on the turret strikes a flint which ignites a fire, which in turn ignites his ass and causes him to move the turret and that's why the ring on the turret is red! For fire! And the "brake" is actually the sprinkler but to get it past the union they had to be discreet.

Am I on the right track??? Forget one hand, that's 2 finger operation. </div></div>

LOL ,i think your tracking correctly

There is a lock, 360 brake, and a lock on top you turn...

Read the description on the website.

Intelligent Elevation, it does more than just dial, it has a way to vary

360 Brake, it locks the turrets anywhere you want, anytime you want with a flick

It's in there, the 20 mils per rev is only 1/4 of the feature

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper307</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i remember him saying it was definitely going to be a game changer.
</div></div>

red jacket must make it... thats why its red!

A ton has changed from that patent, those may explain certain concepts, but it is nothing like that in practice..

in my view the patent is irrelevant at this point compared to the finished product

I sure wish the picture given us was a better resolution, so I could zoom in on that lever and see the writing.

I'm starting to guess that you can "pre-program", multiple elevation adjustments, like one for 100 yards, then another for 500 yards and maybe another for 1000 yards. Then with a "flick" of the lever, you instantly set the turret to the elevation that you need to engage the target. Would make sense, because their literature talks about "our servicemen can find themselves in a firefight in a crowded, close-in urban environment, or engaging small targets at extreme distances".

So is this new technology targeting a faster adjustment or a finer adjustment?

I'm just wondering with as much as it has going on if dialing to 5.4mils on a high speed 10mil knob would be as fast or faster then fiddling with the levers and such on the BEAST?

Its difficult to draw any conclusions on this scope right now for me. I really want to know how this is gonna benefit the game. What game will I benefit? Tactical match shooters? LR paper punchers? Military? I'm lost... lol

Exactly. Unless we get our hands on one, and somebody smarter tells us why we need it, we can only speculate.

I still say I'd buy a $2000 5.5-22x F1. This cheesy "BEAST" would take a good sell.

ok this is purely a business standpoint comment. I know all of us love to see the new tactical stuff but wouldn't the company sell more scopes if they sold a 40mm version that was geared more toward all around use to include hunting. say a 40mm version of the 3-15 model. it seems like the new product is focused to a small niche market. but what do I know

I agree with most of you. Just make a 5.5-22 F1. I have a feeling that the "beast" will just make me buy another SB because of the "beast" of a price tag it'll carry.

ATACR thats SFP? Fail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with most of you. Just make a 5.5-22 F1. I have a feeling that the "beast" will just make me buy another SB because of the "beast" of a price tag it'll carry.

ATACR thats SFP? Fail. </div></div>
You missed the post on facebook where LL commented the price should come in less then a S&B would cost you...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtRacer151</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with most of you. Just make a 5.5-22 F1. I have a feeling that the "beast" will just make me buy another SB because of the "beast" of a price tag it'll carry.

ATACR thats SFP? Fail. </div></div>
You missed the post where LL commented the price should come in less then a S&B would cost you... </div></div>

I'm sure it'll come in a few less. But doubt it'll be enough to change most peoples minds to switch.

Could this be the modern equivalent of the Unertl USMC scope?
Dial in your rough elevation on the turret and fine tune it with the leveler??

117kw1.jpg

Call me dumb, but the marketing and coloring is really turning me off, regardless of how the scope is. The main reason I've owned Nightforce scopes is because they were no-nonsense, rock-solid, military-grade optics. They just work and their marketing was reflective of that.

Now... they're coming up with names like "BEAST" - seriously? It's a change in marketing for for people who are enthralled with shiny things and cool words, regardless of how good the scope is. Really disappointed, to be honest.

Can't wait for all the cheap discarded SuB scopes,..when Frank throws his away I will be the first in the bin hunting them!

Looks like the scope off Call of Duty Black Ops with the red on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't wait for all the cheap discarded SuB scopes,..when Frank throws his away I will be the first in the bin hunting them! </div></div>

LOL hopefully they will get real cheap. I was hoping to see a few cheap 5-25x when the 3-20x came out but no such luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like the scope off Call of Duty Black Ops with the red on it. </div></div>

But doesn't the gold on the focus knob make it look "gangsta"?

Anxious to see how it actually works.. I don't get the whole .25moa or .50moa elevation turrets.. if you flip a switch so each click is .5 instead of .25 how do you actually know how much you've dialed up? the elevation numbers on the turret will be of no help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cummins cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok this is purely a business standpoint comment. I know all of us love to see the new tactical stuff but wouldn't the company sell more scopes if they sold a 40mm version that was geared more toward all around use to include hunting. say a 40mm version of the 3-15 model. it seems like the new product is focused to a small niche market. but what do I know </div></div>
I agree, put a 40 mm objective on the 2.5x10 and have an excellent hunting scope for a light carry rifle.

Is it possible that the lever behind the ele. turret is a QD cam lock release that would allow the swapping out of turrets with different adjustments?
Somehow, each specific turret would interact with the base scope to engage a particular click value???

just spitballin'...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like the scope off Call of Duty Black Ops with the red on it. </div></div>

HAHA, Really? This forum let alone this thread was the last place I'd expect to read about video games. Reading that post made me spit my coffee out.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papa Zero Three</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like the scope off Call of Duty Black Ops with the red on it. </div></div>

HAHA, Really? This forum let alone this thread was the last place I'd expect to read about video games. Reading that post made me spit my coffee out.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I know I was joking around, but seriously, I hope this scope works awesome and is priced well. I'd rather have another option on the market rather than a dud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I agree, put a 40 mm objective on the 2.5x10 and have an excellent hunting scope for a light carry rifle.
</div></div> I always loved the reliability and size of the 2.5-10X32. But I got to dislike the glass vs. options like the Premier LT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Singlestack Wonder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PappaSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything new on Compact other than reticle?

hewlett260, thank you for the laugh, funny shit. </div></div>

If they can fit the MOAR in one it would be nice if the could make a MILR fit.... Or again a velocity reticle subtended in Mrad...

JJ </div></div>

The MOAR as well as the new IHR reticle are now available in the 2.5-10....

New Nightforce 2.5-10 web page </div></div>

But they still only have one Mrad based reticle... Make a MilR and put it in the compact...

Per spec sheet from the NF page:
Click Value: .25 and .50MOA / .1 and .2Mil-Rad

Figured this was the answer. Looks like a Red Jacket type of game changer. 10 mil revs are plenty quick in 99% of cases, this one has 20. Nightforce shows up way late to the party and this cheesy gimmick is what they bring?

200MOA total travel, which is nice, but I'm still wondering why NF is so confident in this thing? 20mil revs, 2 xmas tree reticles and 2 holdover reticles make that silly little lever almost useless. I hope there's more to this that they haven't mentioned yet otherwise womp womp wommmmmp

Man, this place is vicious! For years I frequented this sight and listened to everyone whimpering about NF not having a FFP 5.5-22. People call for greater adjustment for you to push the envelope. You ask for locking turrets.

Nightforce makes a new optic that unfortunately isn't a 5.5-22 FFP. Instead they make a 5-25 which has even greater magnification range. They make one with a 34mm body tube that transfers more light and gives 120 MOA of adjustment. Not to mention 60 MOA per rev which allows most shooters to transition from zero out to the ballistic capabilities of most of your cartridges in one rotation. It has better resolution. They make it with a locking turret. My god, what more could they have done!? They call it a BEAST. Bad name, I get it and it has some obnoxious red on it. Most of the people I assume this optic was initially built for aren't going to care what they call it and they are going to spray paint it with some desert colors.

While you were all speculating, I called NF about it. The button on top engage the locking mechanism of the turret. The lever on the back is a fine adjust. So each click it 1/2 MOA or .2 Mil's. The lever is a fin adjust so you have a 34.75 MOA drop at "X" distance, you adjust 34.5 MOA with the turret and flip the lever to adjust the extra .25 MOA. I think its actually quite interesting but I do admit I would have liked it to be 1 MOA per click and a three position lever for .25 MOA per click. Or .5 Mils per click on the turret and .1 Mil per click on the lever. They said the illumination is a push button set up which is the gold portion of the parallax/focus turret.

Why in the heck would they make a 22x FFP when they made the BEAST? First focal pane scopes cost more to make. That's why they cost more to buy. Gee wiz, how bout that... If they made a FFP 5.5-22 wouldn't you think it would cost close to $3,000?

Oh, and when I was talking to them, they said it will retail for $3,400. I think NF did a fine job of listening to everyone including the military and made something that will compete on the highest level.

I will be ordering one the first day they become available. I can't wait to try it!

I'm going to give my guess. In the picture, it looks like it has a selector switch that selects 0.2 or 0.1 In the picture it looks like it's turned to the 0.2. Turn the selector to what looks like 0.1 and it functions like a normal 0.1 mil scope. I think the red ringed plunger looking thing is a lock. Press it down and it locks.
Make sense?

To me it's a really cool feature, but I would rather see a .05 and 0.1 vs the 0.2 and 0.1

Also, I would rather see a ATACR in a FFP model. And with other reticle options. Either way, can't wait to see the demonstration videos from SHOT and through the scope pics here on the hide.
Untitled_zps54ec2ce9.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshot338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why in the heck would they make a 22x FFP when they made the BEAST? First focal pane scopes cost more to make. That's why they cost more to buy. Gee wiz, how bout that... If they made a FFP 5.5-22 wouldn't you think it would cost close to $3,000?
</div></div>

I dunno, why do they make a 3.5-15x FFP that retails for $2100 with a set of rings included? Why would a 5.5-22x cost an additional $900 when the SFP 5.5-22x is just $200 more than the SFP 3.5-15x? I'd give $2300-2400 for a 5.5-22x F1 and wouldn't hesitate.

I dunno about you guys, but a DT S&B knob does about all I need it to do as far as mils/rev. I have no issue getting confused with it on the second rev.

I'd like to look at one and try it. Maybe it'll be great. Game changer? I don't see it at all. I could be wrong I guess. But the wait was for this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshot338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, this place is vicious! For years I frequented this sight and listened to everyone whimpering about NF not having a FFP 5.5-22. People call for greater adjustment for you to push the envelope. You ask for locking turrets.

Nightforce makes a new optic that unfortunately isn't a 5.5-22 FFP. Instead they make a 5-25 which has even greater magnification range. They make one with a 34mm body tube that transfers more light and gives 120 MOA of adjustment. Not to mention 60 MOA per rev which allows most shooters to transition from zero out to the ballistic capabilities of most of your cartridges in one rotation. It has better resolution. They make it with a locking turret. My god, what more could they have done!? They call it a BEAST. Bad name, I get it and it has some obnoxious red on it. Most of the people I assume this optic was initially built for aren't going to care what they call it and they are going to spray paint it with some desert colors.

While you were all speculating, I called NF about it. The button on top engage the locking mechanism of the turret. The lever on the back is a fine adjust. So each click it 1/2 MOA or .2 Mil's. The lever is a fin adjust so you have a 34.75 MOA drop at "X" distance, you adjust 34.5 MOA with the turret and flip the lever to adjust the extra .25 MOA. I think its actually quite interesting but I do admit I would have liked it to be 1 MOA per click and a three position lever for .25 MOA per click. Or .5 Mils per click on the turret and .1 Mil per click on the lever. They said the illumination is a push button set up which is the gold portion of the parallax/focus turret.

Oh, and when I was talking to them, they said it will retail for $3,400. I think NF did a fine job of listening to everyone including the military and made something that will compete on the highest level.

I will be ordering one the first day they become available. I can't wait to try it! </div></div>

When you are told it is going to be a game changer, that they have created the impossible, that it has radical new technologies that solves problems in competitor scopes, that it has features and capabilities that have to now been a pipe dream etc then they either have to absolutely nail it or expect to be mocked. I hope it is the former and will hold judgement until i know more but they set the level of expectation and now have to live up to it.

Anyone know what the parallax adjustment is? How close it will focus?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know what the parallax adjustment is? How close it will focus? </div></div>

Now that is a darn good question!!

10yds like the S&B would be killer!!

I'm not putting the scope down at all. I'm just confused on how it actually works and if it's really going to be much faster to use then a traditional knob. I'll probably try one regardless. After SHOT if im convinced this new feature is actually very useful i'll probably decide if i buy a 2nd.

I was wondering because I do not see that info on their site. They had it for the competition scope which focuses down to 25 yards.

Schmitd & Bender PM II - 64 MOA of vertical adjustment
Premier Heritage - 100 MOA
I won't insult NF by assuming Bushnell, USO or leupold are even in the same catagory...
This BEAST - 120 MOA of vertical adjustment. Not to mention half of it in one rotation!

For this who are pushing the limits of what is possible when it comes to distance, who would not consider this a game changer?

I know there Horus reticles out there. I even own some. But I have shot 2200 yards with my 5.5-22x56 with standard style reticles prior to running out of travel. I don't like looking at the bottom of my field of view trying to hit a target. With this and the right taper and a little of holdover, I will hit 3000 yards! Keep your 260's and 6.5x284's. For those of you who own them, more power to you. You are not pushing the limits of the maximum distance you can shoot and this scope is not for you. Keep your Premiers and Schmidt's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badshot338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Schmitd & Bender PM II - 64 MOA of vertical adjustment</div></div>

That's a typo. Yes, on S&B's page.

The fact is, I have never had a problem with my capable hands dialing 11mils to 1000 yards. All I wanted was a decently priced higher magnification F1. The 3-15 is only around $2200. Why can't they just make a 5.5-22 around $2400 or so? I don't need or want a lever to adjust "fine" or "course." I just wanted the same thin they already have in a higher mag. This is disappointing to me as I was really looking forward to purchasing a new Nightforce. Schmidt offers better reticles at the same price, and they do the same thing, just as well. This is my opinion on the subject, and yours may be different.

I was sure that was a typo when I read it too. But I ask this... What DOES it have for elevation adjustment? If it's not 120 MOA, then my point is still proven.