• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft new paint job

BrettSass844

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2009
Germantown, OHIO
Not bad for a couple hilljacks at night. There is a little glare from the bright ass flash on my camera in a couple pics.

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4182.jpg

IMG_4183.jpg

IMG_4184.jpg

IMG_4185we.jpg

IMG_4186w.jpg

Re: new paint job

Nice work!Gonna paint the rest of the rifle?

Um, the stock is kinda nice, but.... well... the rifle isnt supposed to look nice, really.

The point of painting the rifle is to help breakup the outline of all of the various bits. A straight line can easily be picked out at quite a distance.

So painting the barrel and the optics are key parts of ensuring that your rifle isnt in a field saying "hey, theres a guy waiting to shoot you RIGHT HERE!".

Oddball....nice manners man.

Brettsass.....nice work. Care to share your technique and materials used? As for oddballs comments....the easy fix is burplap strips with color patterns if you don't want to go so far to paint the barrel and scope.

Thanks oddball. I'm glad you think it is "kinda nice" I will remember to take your advice and paint my barrel and optics before I take it to iraq.

Seriously for what I use it for its perfect. And I don't think a coyote is going to pick out my barrel at 100 plus yards and say "look there is a guy waiting to shoot me RIGHT THERE." Thanks for the advice but next time do me a favor and keep it to yourself. And I like the comment about how a straight line is easy to pick out. That's funny cause I see a lot of trees, branches and a ton of other shit in the woods that is a straight line. Funny, I guess things are different in ohio.....

Brett,
I don't think he meant it to hurt your feelings. I like any paint
better than the matte rust jobs that Savage and Rem put on their rifles. That action and scope in one solid color would look good and make your "truck gun" a lot easier to keep from turning brown. (rust). That green that you have in the stock on the action would look great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks oddball. I'm glad you think it is "kinda nice" I will remember to take your advice and paint my barrel and optics before I take it to iraq.

Seriously for what I use it for its perfect. And I don't think a coyote is going to pick out my barrel at 100 plus yards and say "look there is a guy waiting to shoot me RIGHT THERE." Thanks for the advice but next time do me a favor and keep it to yourself. And I like the comment about how a straight line is easy to pick out. That's funny cause I see a lot of trees, branches and a ton of other shit in the woods that is a straight line. Funny, I guess things are different in ohio..... </div></div>

Easy, there grasshopper. For a guy who joined in 11/09 asking at that time about how to read mildots, easy on the implications about taking something to Iraq. You don't know me, you don't know my background, or that of others on this forum.

Breathe a couple times before you hastily type something out and decide to go off on someone in a forum.

The stock paint job *IS* kinda nice. It wont work for me, not my AO. Living in ohio, according to your profile, its a good thing you will be able to so easily blend in to snow covered grasslands to go after Coyote.

I actually looked at your post history before i made my comment. Based on some of the questions you posed as recently as November and January, I figured that I would share a few points with you in the hopes that you might find them useful.

You have a nice firearm. I like where you went with the stock. Not sure where you are taking the firearm but its pretty. There are lots of trees, branches, and other shit in the woods that are straight lines. And a big bold black line sticking out of all of the fun green and brown lines *is* going to stick out. And honestly, yes, sometimes even the four legged game can tell when something is out of place. Further, notice how your camera flash is gleaming off of some of the metal parts? Gleaming in fact far more than it is off of the matte colors now on your stock? Thats another reason to cover more of the rifle visual signature. Ultra-matte paint will cut down on the possibility that hunting your target, whether 2 or 4 legs, illumination could cause an unintended twinkle off of your firearm which will sometimes alert your target to your presence, even if that target is a deer or coyote. Even using bric-a-brak from the environment to accomplish a similar end, such things can slide or not protect against a portion of the light source and still have the same end result.

So when you paint the rifle, choosing not to break up the hard edges of the visual profile of a barrel or, more significantly, the optics of your platform somewhat degrades the effectiveness of the time you invested in a nice looking paint job on your stock.

That was my point. If you have considered that and made the conscious choice that its simply not worth painting your FULL rifle and you just wanted to make the stock look nicer, great. I think you really accomplished that. Not being psychic, I was looking at the package from a concealment / blending point of view and responding accordingly.

At any rate, its a nice looking job, relax, have a beer, and enjoy your project.

To be honest when I posted that message I had been up for 22 hours and at the hospital for 12 hours. I just watched my cousins (who I am very close to) new born baby die. I let my temper get the best of me and I apologize for that. I got on the hide on my blackberry just to get a break from all the shit in the waiting room.

On a more serious note. As a father of 2 and my wife is expecting number 3 now I can't imagine what there going through. The baby was full term and due in less than 2 weeks.
Just keep them in your thoughts and prayers please.

Thanks, Brett