• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New parts washer, Need solvent advice

jacq220

Sergeant
Minuteman
Just picked this guy up for 100 bucks marked down from 300.
1020111235.jpg

What are yall running in your parts washer for firarms? At the shop i apprentice in we use mineral spirits but i am wondering if there is something better.

I was given a free sample of this
http://www.ct1w.mirachem.com/topics/products/commercial/0015/0015-100.htm

being water baased i like it, but being water based i am concerned on how fast i can blow it off to get one w/ reoiling and putting the gun back together.

is there a really great product out there that isnt overly flammable or put off grosely obnoxious fumes?

Re: New parts washer, Need solvent advice

Careful what you ask, might get some condescending smart-ass telling you to use muriatic acid in that fucker,lol.

It's been my experience that most of the "green" solvent/cleaners aren't worth a shit. Unfortunately the more useful ones tend to stink not to mention being flammable. I've used mineral spirits, acetone, MEK, low sulfur diesel, kerosene, a mixture of some or all, etc. They all stink but depending on the dirt your cleaning, they all do pretty well.

As for drying the water based stuff dip your part in acetone after you blow it off. It will displace the water and carry it off as it evaporates.

Cheers

my "dirt" is all the normal stuff involved w/ firarms.

desiel doesnt evaporate fast enough.

leaning towards mineral spirits still unless someone else has something good.

dont want to use the acetone method as it doesnt work for barreled actions very well and is way to fumey

If I bought another one, I wouldn't use anything water based. The water corrodes the parts washer components. That's what happened to my last one. $0.02

MEK( methyl ethyl ketone), works pretty well on steel. kinda like Mineral spirits but a little more aggressive and evaporates quickly.

Too much acetone and the neighbors will think you're cooking meth anyway.lol

Saftey Kleen, thats what we use at work (aircraft Maint.) to wash off parts, gets alot of gunk off and it isnt supposed to be flammable. MEK works great, but i dont like the fact that is has such a low vapor and flashpoint.

i was inside an aircraft once where we were cleaning the zink chromate primer of the floor beams looking for corrosion with MEK, and we had all the doors open and the emergency exits out, when one of the guys i was working with hit a chaffed spot in a wire with his rag and the whole cabin flashed from the MEK fumes. i lost alot of hair that day, but it was just a flash, and not a fire. scared the shit outa us...

mek has its uses, but i believe that washing the part in an electric washer, is best done with something less flammable, and then MEK from a squirt bottle works safer.

just my .02

Used mineral spirits for a long time. Cheap, works, doesn't make your kids come out "crooked" and its not supposed to give you the C word.

Mineral spirits (AKA generic "paint thinner") is what I have in my parts wash tank. It doesn't evaporate so quickly as to require constant topping-off, it's reasonably safe (although I still try to wear gloves to prevent contact dermatitis), and the fire hazard is acceptable low. A quick shot of brake cleaner will dry off a part quickly if the mineral spirits hang around for a bit too long.

There is no way in hell that I would put any large quantity of acetone or MEK into a parts washer!!! I'm pretty sure I can't even think of all the hazards, but for starters, you've got fire, short- and long-term health effects, and the cost of constantly topping it off since it'll evaporate so quickly. There is a time and place for solvents of this type, and it involves very small quantities, proper protective gear, and extreme care. 10 gallons of it sitting in a tub in the middle of a workshop seems like a great way to become a statistic.

I use mineral spirits now too. Saftey kleen works good also. I have used it a couple times, but I think it smells worse. You can pick up saftey kleen at granger (sp?) here in Indy. The mineral spirits are just cheaper and can be bought anywhere. I had some other stuff once that a buddy from an autoshop gave me worked great but smelled terrible.

you better have an air powered pump if using anything with a flash lower than mineral spirits.....

when I asked our supplier about bad assss solvents, he said, " we sell mineral spirits"

Mineral spirits, with just enough ATF to turn it a very light shade of Pink. Takes the bit out, if, your using it all day.

Kerosene is cheaper, an cleans well also. Does not require ATF either.

Super Purple works well, if it's heated, but requires a H2O bath after.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ATF? </div></div>
ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid,
Stops the bite at the wrist, that some get when using plain M/S.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GLOWWORM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you get that 100 buck washer..i like i want one.. </div></div>

tractor supply. we have been cooped up with a few days of rain and my german shepard was going stir crazy so i took her to a few pet stores, and the local TSC allows dogs inside, so i went to look at tool chests and found this guy. last one in stock, i didnt even have to assemble a thing. all i did was make sure the bolts were tight and the pump worked. now to buy 20 gallons of mineral spirits.... fun.

Leave the MEK out. Stinks, IMHO. Two types of Mineral spirits. Regular (cheaper by a bit), and low odor. That is also known as Stoddard Solvent. Add the ATF and you are then getting close to what was known as "Armory Solvent", but which is commonly known now as "Ed's Red". You can google that. Some add the acetone, some don't...the acetone cleans faster but rapidly evaporates and is flammable. I use it but not in the machine. The anhydrous lanolin leaves a tiny bit of oily feel and resists corrosion and rust. Personally, I'd use the odorless mineral spirits (more highly distilled) and about 20% ATF in the washer. That stuff is made to keep the parts clean. JMHO

Good buy on the parts washer!

As stated by others, mineral spirits. If you have a Northern Tool in Indy, they have "parts washing solvent", which I think is actually mineral spirits, by the 5 gal can.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leave the MEK out. Stinks, IMHO. Two types of Mineral spirits. Regular (cheaper by a bit), and low odor. That is also known as Stoddard Solvent. Add the ATF and you are then getting close to what was known as "Armory Solvent", but which is commonly known now as "Ed's Red". You can google that. Some add the acetone, some don't...the acetone cleans faster but rapidly evaporates and is flammable. I use it but not in the machine. The anhydrous lanolin leaves a tiny bit of oily feel and resists corrosion and rust. Personally, I'd use the odorless mineral spirits (more highly distilled) and about 20% ATF in the washer. That stuff is made to keep the parts clean. JMHO </div></div>

only problem with that is that i clean parts in this before and after they go in the blasting cabnet. before to remove all the junk so it keeps my media clean, and after to remove the excess media. then it gets liberally degreased with acetone before coating with moly resin. If i add the ATF then i will be introducing some oil into my blasting cabnet with is a big no no for moly resin and cerekote.

JACQ, you are right. Plain mineral spirits for full evaporation. Since you are already using the acetone...add a cup per gallon. Just check and verify that the seals in your pump will tolerate the acetone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JACQ, you are right. Plain mineral spirits for full evaporation. Since you are already using the acetone...add a cup per gallon. Just check and verify that the seals in your pump will tolerate the acetone. </div></div>

thank you for that, i hadnt even thought about the seals not being acetone tolerant.

decided to just do mineral spirits. i am afraid that adding acetone to decrease the flash off time might effect the varnish on some of the stuff i work with. never had a problem with mineral spirits so why fix what aint broke.

Naptha is also used for parts cleaners. you may have to get it at fuel & oil distributors.