• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Plastic AICS mags - cheap AND reliable?

Re: New Plastic AICS mags - cheap AND reliable?

update:

after some doing i got them to feed flawlessly. i basically sanded just a smidge off the lips on the inside. just a bit, nothing extreme. then i sanded the froont top down, where the bullet feeds. it looks to me like when i put it in the metal the front feed ramp of the mag was totally maxed out against the barrel feed ramp. so i sanded just a bit off. really off of each i sanded very little, and now it works with no issues yet. the other thing i played with a bit was epoxy to the back mag latch, and this worked but the epoxy got smashed after a few times, so youd need something tough, like steel reinforced epoxy or something. i am fairly convinced one of the major issues is the ridiculous tilt this mag has. even without sanding itll try to grab the round a bit then the stupid thing will get pushed down on the back, allowing the front to get pushed under the bolt. now obviously the way i fixed this was to create more for the bolt to strip, even though it was ever so small. it was enough to do the trick. however, if you could find an anti tilt lever or something or rig one up yourself im betting youd be ok depending on how the metal is inletted.

even if yours is inletted farther below mine (mine is basically flush with the stock) you could get it to work if you sanded the feed lips, front feed ramp and area around that, and using some sort of epoxy to cause it to engage higher. you don't need all those fixes, but all seemed to work for me in some capacity and are all reasonable avenues to correct the problem i think. if you had to sand a lot off the feed lips it wouldn't be much of a problem as long as you don't top load, but instead load like a pistol mag. after sanding mine i put a round in and tried to pry it out and couldn't do it so its still in there nice and tight so im guessing i could take a bit more off the feed lips no problem. anyways, hope that helps people out. theyre nice mags and cheap as hell. i used a five rounder and ten rounder for my experiment, both work great now.

went through several mags today shooting, no issues whatsoever

How do you fellas think these plastic mags would fare in a XLR chassis system? Would slightly modding the feed lips be a good enough fix?

Bump, anyone have any more updates on these plastic mags?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you fellas think these plastic mags would fare in a XLR chassis system? Would slightly modding the feed lips be a good enough fix? </div></div>

Ill try it when my build is done.

They don't work with CDI bottom metal, Badger, AICS, or W3C. That is if you are using a remington style action. If you use a flat bottom bolt like that of a ruger should be no problem after a little fitting. However even after altering the mag it sits to low to enable reliable feeding.

any new updates?

I did a search awhile back when I was considering giving one of these mags a try, and for whatever reason, I did not come across this. Probably a good thing, because I wouldn't have bought one. When my brother picked up a Scout, I figured why not try? Worst case, I'd give him the mag if I couldn't make it work.

I got the mag, loaded it up with 10 dummy rounds, and they all fed flawlessly through my 700 5R with APA bottom metal. The mag wouldn't fit in any of my Surgeon bottom metals because of the exterior ribbing makes it too big where the Surgeon magwells are extended. I tried it in my buddy's Badger DBM and again, it fed flawlessly. I didn't have to modify anything. Maybe I got lucky, I only bought the one mag, but the price was right! Max COAL is 2.850"

any new updates?

10 rounders will work almosy with any bottom metal
3 and 5 rounders will work with badger m5 or similar bottom metal without "magwell"

These mags work fine from -20C to +35C.

With steel cased polymer coated ammo rounds will stuck inside mag if you'll load over 5.