• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Primary Arms PLXC 1-8 FFP

Gladly!! We will have these at SHOT next week is anyone is there!
I don't care what anyone thinks. The PLX C 1-8 is the best I ever owned as far as eyebox forgivness/ light weight/ compactness ect: ect:

I liked mine over the NX8, but I just couldn't get over that chevron center. It's just me I know🤓🙃.

This thing should sell like crazy to tards like me who don't like the chevron.

I don't care what anyone thinks. The PLX C 1-8 is the best I ever owned as far as eyebox forgivness/ light weight/ compactness ect: ect:

I liked mine over the NX8, but I just couldn't get over that chevron center. It's just me I know🤓🙃.

To be fair the NX8, optically, is a pretty low bar.

Reactions: jh2785 and redx

Not just you. It’s why I haven’t bought one. Dimitri and his chevrons.

Reactions: gbaby125
Man, as uncool as SFP is around here, I definitely have a use case for this. DFP would really be the holy grail though.
There definitely is a case for them. Not quite the same thing but my 1.5-8 Razor LH is a scope that that I just can't find any suitable replacement for (I have 2). It's just so good on a SBR .300 BLK for Short Range deer hunting in the SE. The 1" tube is really uncool...but it works and the G4-BDC is absolute money in the woods.
PXL_20201126_140404657.jpg

I would be really curious to know the sales numbers of the Nova reticles compared to their normal chevrons.

I do kind of wish the Nova PLX-C was a 1-6 instead of 8x. It gets pretty tight and dark when you get over 7x. I'd rather have the usable mil stadia at 6x with better IQ and FOV

Reactions: JDB55 and PappyM3
I do kind of wish the Nova PLX-C was a 1-6 instead of 8x. It gets pretty tight and dark when you get over 7x. I'd rather have the usable mil stadia at 6x with better IQ and FOV
This is was my very first thought.
I can tell you, manufacturers have a real hard time buying in to going backward in mag range.
I wish that wasn't the case.

I would be really curious to know the sales numbers of the Nova reticles compared to their normal chevrons.

That would really challenge the razor gen 2-E for top(not insanely expensive) nuclear bright SFP 1-6 with the disappearing bezel. Would like to see that happen. I personally like FFP over 6x but 1-6x in SFP is money. I won't be giving up my 1-8 PLxC FFP because it fits what I'm trying to do, but SFP has its place and an easier eye box on a 1-6 would really be excellent to see in the PLX lineup.

I got to say I am really torn on the chevron. I used to hit 12x20 ipsc steel targets out to 300 yds yesterday with ease. The chevron just really works well for me on targets that size. It might not work as well trying to punch holes in paper for tight groups but I'm not really concerned about that on the rifle set up shown in the pic.

Bcm 14.5, plxc griffin mil, 507c piggy back, nomad supressor. This is my go to setup !

Attachments

• 20240116_100959.jpg
    20240116_100959.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 92
  • 20240118_092308.jpg
    20240118_092308.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: JDB55
I got to say I am really torn on the chevron. I used to hit 12x20 ipsc steel targets out to 300 yds yesterday with ease. The chevron just really works well for me on targets that size. It might not work as well trying to punch holes in paper for tight groups but I'm not really concerned about that on the rifle set up shown in the pic.

Bcm 14.5, plxc griffin mil, 507c piggy back, nomad supressor. This is my go to setup !

Nice rig! I agree, I think it's a little bit harder to stack rounds for precision, but for my use case it works more than well enough and some of it is training on it (which is still a work in progress for me). Your brain seems to be able to use a dot more simply, or even a cross hair vs a Chevron for precision shooting; like you though mine isn't a precision rifle rig and I can easily get out to 500-600 yards with it on a 5.56.

Reactions: WILLSMITH030382

But are you concerned about hitting the IPSC head, or a 6” circle where the vitals would be on that 12x20 steel?

But are you concerned about hitting the IPSC head, or a 6” circle where the vitals would be on that 12x20 steel?
For me on a just right tripod with arca rail I was able to make head shots and can hit a target 6inch in size with my bcm in the photo using black hills 77 grain otm out to 200 yds, I have not tried 300 yds. But for 300 yd heads hots and beyond I have different rifle and scope set up for that.

Reactions: PappyM3
There definitely is a case for them. Not quite the same thing but my 1.5-8 Razor LH is a scope that that I just can't find any suitable replacement for (I have 2). It's just so good on a SBR .300 BLK for Short Range deer hunting in the SE. The 1" tube is really uncool...but it works and the G4-BDC is absolute money in the woods.
View attachment 8327647
I have two of them as well and for similar reasons. They also work great with thermal clipons.

ILya

I have two of them as well and for similar reasons. They also work great with thermal clipons.

ILya
Use mine with a NV and thermal clip-on often. Man that reticle is great..thank you for that, you helped with it right?

Use mine with a NV and thermal clip-on often. Man that reticle is great..thank you for that, you helped with it right?
The reticle originated as my idea, except I wanted it with 0.5mrad and 1 mrad holds and center illuminated dot. They decided to have it match their standard BDC holds. In the 3-15x50 HD-LHT, the dot did get illuminated, but lower power models did not make it to Gen2 wince 3-15x model outsold everything.
The G4-BDC reticle seems to do quite well for Vortex in Europe, but Americans do not like it a whole lot. At least that seems to be the consensus on the hunting forums. I tried to figure out what exactly they do not like about it a few years ago, but all I got was that it was "too euro" for them. Go figure.

If I ever start a scope company, I can give you a 100% iron clad guarantee I will bring back a 1.5-8x32 tweener with mrad-based version of this reticle and illuminated dot.

GPO does make a 1.5-9x32 with an illuminated dot and a standard G4 reticle, although the scope is a little heavier. They also have a 1.5-9x44 with their G4 drop reticle for people who live in a world with no wind and only stationary targets.

I use the somewhat heavier but optically excellent and well built Delta Titanium HD 1.5-9x45 with their 2D reticle. It is spectacular in low light and has a fiber illuminated reticle. It is kinda like a classic 1.5-6x42 except on steroids: very fast on 1.5x and decent reach on 9x.

Looking at how Primary Arms is proliferating their Nova reticle gives me hope. As more OEMs have the ability to use fiber illumination, maybe I can convince someone to make a perfect tweener eventually without the hassle of starting a new optics company.

ILya

Nice rig! I agree, I think it's a little bit harder to stack rounds for precision, but for my use case it works more than well enough and some of it is training on it (which is still a work in progress for me). Your brain seems to be able to use a dot more simply, or even a cross hair vs a Chevron for precision shooting; like you though mine isn't a precision rifle rig and I can easily get out to 500-600 yards with it on a 5.56.
A 12x20 target at 300 yards isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Literally any optic will let you do that. A basic 1-4 with a duplex is fine out to 300 yards on a target that big. Hell, red dots are fine for that.

The whole purpose of a modern FFP 1-8 is to expand the capability of the rifle beyond large targets at 300 yards.

Reactions: PappyM3
A 12x20 target at 300 yards isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Literally any optic will let you do that. A basic 1-4 with a duplex is fine out to 300 yards on a target that big. Hell, red dots are fine for that.

The whole purpose of a modern FFP 1-8 is to expand the capability of the rifle beyond large targets at 300 yards.
The other poster was just giving an example of his recent shooting experience. Not that it wasn't capable of hitting smaller targets at that distance.

Bottom line is this is all preference, none of these(Dot, Chevron, Crosshair) are going to hinder you in anyway. It's just practice and being a good shooter. Buy what you prefer and enjoy.

Last edited:
20240120_162337.jpg

6x6 plate, 250 yards. 10mph wind.

Which reticles allow you make a precise hold, or see splash and make a correction?

View attachment 8328187
6x6 plate, 250 yards. 10mph wind.

Which reticles allow you make a precise hold, or see splash and make a correction?
Got to say, based on the reticle options you posted I think I could be proficient with any of them ! I know you say ringing steel on a 12x20 target isn't any big deal, and in some cases i agree . But when you add in calisthenics, burpees, sprints, kettle bell swings to get the heart pumping and use a shot timer I think you might find ringing steel at 300 yds a little more challenging when your out of breath ! And for me the plxc griffin mill worked well with the chevron with this type of training ! Past 300 yds out to 500yds I stop using the chevron and start holding over using the tree reticle, which I ring steel pretty easily as well. It just takes more time to make accurate shots at distance !

Reactions: gbaby125 and JDB55
The reticle originated as my idea, except I wanted it with 0.5mrad and 1 mrad holds and center illuminated dot. They decided to have it match their standard BDC holds. In the 3-15x50 HD-LHT, the dot did get illuminated, but lower power models did not make it to Gen2 wince 3-15x model outsold everything.
The G4-BDC reticle seems to do quite well for Vortex in Europe, but Americans do not like it a whole lot. At least that seems to be the consensus on the hunting forums. I tried to figure out what exactly they do not like about it a few years ago, but all I got was that it was "too euro" for them. Go figure.

If I ever start a scope company, I can give you a 100% iron clad guarantee I will bring back a 1.5-8x32 tweener with mrad-based version of this reticle and illuminated dot.

ILya
While I'm typically a FFP/MRAD purest I don't get too wrapped around the axle on guns that are more suited to zeroing at a suitable MPBR anyways. In that case, I'm just looking for something both draws my eye quickly and works in low light. I much prefer that G4 to any heavy duplex I have seen.

The fine center dot is great as well. I don't make a habit of head shots on game, but I did use the G4 this year on a doe that left me no other option. That fine center dot was perfect.

While I'm typically a FFP/MRAD purest I don't get too wrapped around the axle on guns that are more suited to zeroing at a suitable MPBR anyways. In that case, I'm just looking for something both draws my eye quickly and works in low light. I much prefer that G4 to any heavy duplex I have seen.

The fine center dot is great as well. I don't make a habit of head shots on game, but I did use the G4 this year on a doe that left me no other option. That fine center dot was perfect.
That was the original idea. I wanted a fairly fine dot with about half mrad of space around it for when you need precision, but in low light I wanted it illuminated. The thick lines need to start pretty close to the center though. If you need to make a quick shot, tapers converging ont he center from both sides really help. I had the 1.5-8x32 on my muzzleloader a couple years ago and shot a cow elk at just over 300 yards, so the holdover marks were pretty useful as well. Still, this reticle was never intended for shooting too far out.

ILya

Got to say, based on the reticle options you posted I think I could be proficient with any of them ! I know you say ringing steel on a 12x20 target isn't any big deal, and in some cases i agree . But when you add in calisthenics, burpees, sprints, kettle bell swings to get the heart pumping and use a shot timer I think you might find ringing steel at 300 yds a little more challenging when your out of breath ! And for me the plxc griffin mill worked well with the chevron with this type of training ! Past 300 yds out to 500yds I stop using the chevron and start holding over using the tree reticle, which I ring steel pretty easily as well. It just takes more time to make accurate shots at distance !

Now you got me thinking.

Until you drop it on its ocular from 4' with 12 lbs of loaded AR10 behind it to where it cuts a crescent out of a linoleum floor. NX8 is not my cup of tea either, but Nightforce are pretty darn tough and given use case might make up for the NX8's short comings. Most euro diopters wouldn't take that sort of abuse.

Last edited:
Until you drop it on its ocular from 4' with 12 lbs of loaded AR10 behind it to where it cuts a crescent out of a linoleum floor. NX8 is not my cup of tea either, but Nightforce are pretty darn tough and given use case might make up for the NX8's short comings. Most euro diopters wouldn't take that sort of abuse.
I don't know, I think most scopes are tougher than we give them credit for.
20230611_200540.jpg

That's why I specified "optically."

Since this was bumped...

Ran another RNG with the PLX-C. Chevron still sucks for anything other than generous targets.

It's kind of like the XS Big Dot of scope reticles.
This is definitely the one reason I haven't talked myself into one. For my uses I don't even like horseshoes. I had hoped the yards version would have the horseshoe shrink to small dot size and that I could get over the chevron but I'm just not sure I can.

Since this was bumped...

Ran another RNG with the PLX-C. Chevron still sucks for anything other than generous targets.

It's kind of like the XS Big Dot of scope reticles.
The chevron: so good that every branch of service ditched it from their current optics.

Yes, I’m an anti-chevronite and will continue to disparage them until Primary Arms/Dimitri wake up and provide other options for their otherwise great-for-dollar optics.

For shooting smallest groups the Chevron isn't the best, I think you can train it to as high of a standard, but a circle in a circle is more natural then a triangle tip in a circle, speaking of reticle and most targets. However, my personal opinion is that this specific scope is worth the training curve of the tad inconvenience of the Chevron. I guess it depends on your use case and what your valuing most in and out of your optic. JMO.

Last edited:
I can't say that the chevron is my favorite reticle, but I can say that there are some things I think the chevron does really well. 0-300 yards on a 12-18 size target with a chevron is money for me. At 300yds use the chevron as a hat. Then past 300yds with the griffin mil you can start using the tree reticle. For combat accuracy and for size, weight and value the plxc 1-8 is my top choice right now for an lpvo.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I can't say that the chevron is my favorite reticle, but I can say that there are some things I think the chevron does really well. 0-300 yards on a 12-18 size target with a chevron is money for me. At 300yds use the chevron as a hat. Then past 300yds with the griffin mil you can start using the tree reticle. For combat accuracy and for size, weight and value the plxc 1-8 is my top choice right now for an lpvo.

Not exactly the aiming point I’m looking for when a dude is poking his head up from around cover.

IMG_9901.jpeg

Edit: I have tried to make use of them. Before getting my own crosshair ACOG, I tried the issued TA31. I tried a simple windage mil dot 1-6. Then the Vulcan ACSS on a pistol. And finally REALLY tried to use the HUD/DMR because I liked other features of the reticle. Gave it a good shakedown. Couldn’t get used to the chevron as an aiming point within 300 due to the vagueness of the chevron covering the aiming point in moderate wind. And when I did dial on DOPE, the tip of a chevron isn’t infinitely precise. It’s infinitely vague, and tough to ensure you’re level when using the reticle.

Last edited:
Not exactly the aiming point I’m looking for when a dude is poking his head up from around cover.

View attachment 8380848
I can't say I disagree. But in a perfect situation I would rather take that shot with my nf atacr mil xt reticle dialed in. Here is a pic of the razor gen 3 1-10 ebr9 mrad reticle , is the circle really that much better than the chevron in this situation? I think maybe a little but not that much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240325_075712_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325_075712_Strelok Pro.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 31
I can't say I disagree. But in a perfect situation I would rather take that shot with my nf atacr mil xt reticle dialed in. Here is a pic of the razor gen 3 1-10 ebr9 mrad reticle , is the circle really that much better than the chevron in this situation? I think maybe a little but not that much.
Fair. I’m not a huge fan of circles like that either. I think Vortex made mistakes with that reticle, like not running the thick crosshairs all the way to the edge on low mag. I do think Vortex’s circle is still less obtrusive than a thick chevron. And you still get that precise dot aiming point rather than an uncertain chevron tip.

The FC-DMx is a much better implemented circle. Though it does give up some at mid mag/mid distance where the aiming point is a little hard to see.

I've learned since joining this forum that there's a huge subset of LPVO owners that use them as magnified optics that can go down to 1x on the rare occasion it's wanted, rather than the red dot with the option of magnification that I typically use them as. These guys are rarely concerned with speed or insist that only red dots are capable of it. To each their own I guess, seems weird to me.
What’s weird about living somewhere with range, such as in Wyoming where quick running shots on coyotes at 200 and beyond are routine? Its usage case thing. I’m not doing CQB from my SxS 🤣

Reactions: jh2785
What’s weird about living somewhere with range, such as in Wyoming where quick running shots on coyotes at 200 and beyond are routine? Its usage case thing. I’m not doing CQB from my SxS 🤣
Maybe "weird" isn't the right word, but why have a 1x capable scope for that use case?

Maybe "weird" isn't the right word, but why have a 1x capable scope for that use case?
Ever zoom out and zoom in order to do target ID? Or maybe you’ve drifted up into bear country while checking cattle/driving your SxS? Riding through a forest? Slap that bitch all the way down on magnification.

Ever zoom out and zoom in order to do target ID? Or maybe you’ve drifted up into bear country while checking cattle/driving your SxS? Riding through a forest? Slap that bitch all the way down on magnification.
Uh, no. If I can ID something at 1x I'm not doing it through a scope while fiddling with the throw lever.

I have always had a hard time with scopes that high. When I use a scope I go prone and that high kills my neck. Red dots I am standing and moving so 2.03 or 1.93 are good.
Yeah, PA sent out the mount with the scope—wouldn’t have been my preference. On 1x running close range stuff it’s great though! Tempted to mount a piggyback dot just for shits and giggle 😂