• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New PVA Cleaning Accessories: The Muzzle Jimmy and Jimmy Stick

@bohem - received your Muzzle Jimmy, The Plug, and the Jimmy Stick and I thought to make a quick report after using some of this kit the last couple of days.

1. The Muzzle Jimmy worked perfectly. I was hoping for an Area 419 Uni Adapter compatible model but I do understand why this didn't work out and, tbh, taking my uni adapters off was really no problem as I just use blue Loctite no matter what manufactures say about Rocksett or Red Loctite! haha I used Bore Tech Eliminator and had zero leaks and draining it was easy. Simple idea that nobody thought of before. Very good product, IMO.

a. Suggestion - I suggest milling a recess for the drain screw o-ring. As it stands now, if you keep screwing the drain plug hex screw in, it just pushes the o-ring and out and will dive thru the middle. A round recess to inset the o-ring a bit would prob help this. Not a biggies, just a thought.​
b. Question - the o-ring inside of the Jimmy...that seals against the muzzle thread shoulder....is too big to fit flat on the botton of the inside of the Jimmy. I'm assuming this was by intent and I didn't just get an oversized ring with my unit. Care to explain the thoughts behind this...or not! haha​
2. The Jimmy Stick - Wow, this thing is like...what...18-24" long (should have measured, sorry). Its very big. Not a problem, You give them away for free but its a bit unwieldy. I was sort of expecting maybe 8" long. I'm going to my buddy's shop this week and we will cut it up into at least 2 pieces. As I said, not a problem, just could prob save some aluminum rod stock making them shorter. I'm afraid at the full length I may not even clear the ceiling trying to get it over and into the bore.

a. It is very nice of you to give these sticks for free with a Jimmy, but I have found these disposable plastic pipettes to be the way to go in loading up the bore with solvent. Seemed easier than using the stick. Just a thought.​

3. The Plug - well, after reading @kthomas experience using the Plug with CLR on his TacOps (and wow, kthomas...I am sad this happened to that beautiful gun) I decided to be careful. I pulled the BA out of the chassis, took the scope off, put the BA into a vise with the action on the downside and angled a bit with the trigger to the high side. My thinking was if I had a leak, I didn't want it all draining into the trigger. I put in the Plug, closed the bolt, and filled the bore from the muzzle end. And, it all looked great for about 3-5 minutes then I noticed a slow leak dripping off of the tang of the action. THEN, maybe 10 minutes later I noticed that it stopped leaking!! So, I have zero idea what was/is going on. I imagine that diff chambers and diff headspace ma makes plugging from the action end with a perfect seal to be a challenge. I note that the solvent (Bore Tech Carbon Remover this time) level went down about an inch in a 6.5 mm bore so we aren't talking much fluid. I'm going to leave it overnight with a bucket under it and see if it continues to leak just a bit.

TLDR: Love the Muzzle Jimmy, it worked well. The jury is still out a bit on the Plug and its ability to seal.

Cheers

P.S. - the Plug is still sealed and not leaking. Not sure why I got a bit of drainage at first. All good.

The long stick is to be used in the bore so you don't have to use as much solvent. The 'drip' function is only part of it.

Reactions: Baron23
The long stick is to be used in the bore so you don't have to use as much solvent. The 'drip' function is only part of it.
Ah, that didn’t occur to me. I was only aware of Josh talking about using it as a pour stick but what you say makes sense.

I will say, however, that this 26”, .264, Proof SS barrel filled completely w a tad less than 20 ml which is quite a small amount.

@bohem - never mind my comment about the stick being too long! Hahaha.

@bohem - received your Muzzle Jimmy, The Plug, and the Jimmy Stick and I thought to make a quick report after using some of this kit the last couple of days.

1. The Muzzle Jimmy worked perfectly. I was hoping for an Area 419 Uni Adapter compatible model but I do understand why this didn't work out and, tbh, taking my uni adapters off was really no problem as I just use blue Loctite no matter what manufactures say about Rocksett or Red Loctite! haha I used Bore Tech Eliminator and had zero leaks and draining it was easy. Simple idea that nobody thought of before. Very good product, IMO.

a. Suggestion - I suggest milling a recess for the drain screw o-ring. As it stands now, if you keep screwing the drain plug hex screw in, it just pushes the o-ring and out and will dive thru the middle. A round recess to inset the o-ring a bit would prob help this. Not a biggies, just a thought.​
b. Question - the o-ring inside of the Jimmy...that seals against the muzzle thread shoulder....is too big to fit flat on the botton of the inside of the Jimmy. I'm assuming this was by intent and I didn't just get an oversized ring with my unit. Care to explain the thoughts behind this...or not! haha​
2. The Jimmy Stick - Wow, this thing is like...what...18-24" long (should have measured, sorry). Its very big. Not a problem, You give them away for free but its a bit unwieldy. I was sort of expecting maybe 8" long. I'm going to my buddy's shop this week and we will cut it up into at least 2 pieces. As I said, not a problem, just could prob save some aluminum rod stock making them shorter. I'm afraid at the full length I may not even clear the ceiling trying to get it over and into the bore.

a. It is very nice of you to give these sticks for free with a Jimmy, but I have found these disposable plastic pipettes to be the way to go in loading up the bore with solvent. Seemed easier than using the stick. Just a thought.​

3. The Plug - well, after reading @kthomas experience using the Plug with CLR on his TacOps (and wow, kthomas...I am sad this happened to that beautiful gun) I decided to be careful. I pulled the BA out of the chassis, took the scope off, put the BA into a vise with the action on the downside and angled a bit with the trigger to the high side. My thinking was if I had a leak, I didn't want it all draining into the trigger. I put in the Plug, closed the bolt, and filled the bore from the muzzle end. And, it all looked great for about 3-5 minutes then I noticed a slow leak dripping off of the tang of the action. THEN, maybe 10 minutes later I noticed that it stopped leaking!! So, I have zero idea what was/is going on. I imagine that diff chambers and diff headspace ma makes plugging from the action end with a perfect seal to be a challenge. I note that the solvent (Bore Tech Carbon Remover this time) level went down about an inch in a 6.5 mm bore so we aren't talking much fluid. I'm going to leave it overnight with a bucket under it and see if it continues to leak just a bit.

TLDR: Love the Muzzle Jimmy, it worked well. The jury is still out a bit on the Plug and its ability to seal.

Cheers

P.S. - the Plug is still sealed and not leaking. Not sure why I got a bit of drainage at first. All good.

Pipettes are a good approach if you don't leave the stick in there. The stick is meant to stay in the bore so it gives you something to pour down as well as take up bore volume to reduce the amount of solvent required in the bore. This is why it's so long, you can put it down a 26-28" barrel and have enough sticking out to still pour down the stick and keep the thing full.

If you're happy using more solvent then it's going to work faster too.

The little temporary leak you're seeing is strange. I didn't see any of that in testing here, I suspect you're correct that it has something to do with the shape or surface finish. I'll do some digging to see if I can isolate that variable.

Any ETIC on 223 plugs you're willing to share?

I'll also call you dudes tomorrow, my creedmoor plug got lost in usps purgatory but fortunately the snow has kept me from really needing it lately.

@bohem

I got the muzzle jimmy and the jimmy stick delivered about a week ago and just tried it. I had about 250 rounds down the barrel. I took the barrel off, put on the muzzle jimmy, stuck the jimmy stick in and filled it with KG1. Let it sit for two days. No leaks :). I drained it and ran 4-5 dry patches through the barrel. No brush which is a first for me.

I have never seen a cleaner barrel. A great device!!

Any ETIC on 223 plugs you're willing to share?

I'll also call you dudes tomorrow, my creedmoor plug got lost in usps purgatory but fortunately the snow has kept me from really needing it lately.
The parts are complete on the machinery. They need to get anodized, I'm running some other calibers right now to put them all together in the same batch.

If you don't care about getting one without anodizing I can send you a 223 right away. I'll send you a PM now to get info on the Creedmoor package that was lost so we can get that fixed up for you.

@bohem

I got the muzzle jimmy and the jimmy stick delivered about a week ago and just tried it. I had about 250 rounds down the barrel. I took the barrel off, put on the muzzle jimmy, stuck the jimmy stick in and filled it with KG1. Let it sit for two days. No leaks :). I drained it and ran 4-5 dry patches through the barrel. No brush which is a first for me.

I have never seen a cleaner barrel. A great device!!
Fantastic!

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
The parts are complete on the machinery. They need to get anodized, I'm running some other calibers right now to put them all together in the same batch.

If you don't care about getting one without anodizing I can send you a 223 right away. I'll send you a PM now to get info on the Creedmoor package that was lost so we can get that fixed up for you.

Fantastic!
Did you ever get The Plug back from @kthomas and any indications what his issue was? At the present I'm sticking with the Jimmy as it worked great.

Cheers

Did you ever get The Plug back from @kthomas and any indications what his issue was? At the present I'm sticking with the Jimmy as it worked great.

Cheers

I still need to send it out. Will get sent out in the next day or two, I've been pretty busy on my end last few days.

@kthomas - did you end up sending your Plug back to PVA...any joy?

@bohem - just curious if, among your many larger and more important projects, you had any time to look at the Plug and ferret out why KThomas and I experienced small leaks. And has anybody else reported leaking with the Plug or are we just one offs?

The Muzzle Jimmy works perfectly and, as said previously, my Plug didn't leak for a few minutes, then leaked a bit for a few minutes, then stopped leaking and stayed that way!! haha....this is the kind of stuff that drive me crazy! LOL

Cheers

@bohem - just curious if, among your many larger and more important projects, you had any time to look at the Plug and ferret out why KThomas and I experienced small leaks. And has anybody else reported leaking with the Plug or are we just one offs?

The Muzzle Jimmy works perfectly and, as said previously, my Plug didn't leak for a few minutes, then leaked a bit for a few minutes, then stopped leaking and stayed that way!! haha....this is the kind of stuff that drive me crazy! LOL

Cheers

Sent it back a while ago.

Don't know if @bohem has looked at it yet, haven't heard any updates.

Cheers
I haven't figured out what @kthomas had a leak from but I think there's several overlapping issues. The smaller o-ring on his part was marginal, which worked fine when there was no knick or plating marks. His part had a mark on the plating surface with the smaller o-ring made a weak area in the seal. We didn't get that to leak in a couple chambers here but when I put that same plug in a chamber on a factory savage with a rough shoulder and loose headspace it leaked immediately.

When we sent a replacement we sent an oversized o-ring and I haven't heard anything more on it. With the oversize ring we could not get anything to leak from the original part that @kthomas had issues with.

Reactions: kthomas
I haven't figured out what @kthomas had a leak from but I think there's several overlapping issues. The smaller o-ring on his part was marginal, which worked fine when there was no knick or plating marks. His part had a mark on the plating surface with the smaller o-ring made a weak area in the seal. We didn't get that to leak in a couple chambers here but when I put that same plug in a chamber on a factory savage with a rough shoulder and loose headspace it leaked immediately.

When we sent a replacement we sent an oversized o-ring and I haven't heard anything more on it. With the oversize ring we could not get anything to leak from the original part that @kthomas had issues with.
Thanks so very much for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it and I know you guys very busy.

If I called up to you (or email??) could I get one of those oversized o-rings for my Plug or is that not recommended at all?

Or, if you are willing to publish the spec for the o-ring, I could easily go on line and buy some.

Thanks again.

Sent it back a while ago.

Don't know if @bohem has looked at it yet, haven't heard any updates.
But you received a replacement, right (Josh seems to indicate that above). If so, have you used it and if so, what joy?

Thanks

But you received a replacement, right (Josh seems to indicate that above). If so, have you used it and if so, what joy?

Thanks

Yes, Josh sent a replacement plug and its in my possession.

I have not used it, as my rifle is off getting recoated right now.

No leaks on my plugs - and that's with a full week of lucas bore cleaner and KG-1.

Reactions: Nik H