• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Razor????

Just got a couple in yesterday. I'm already really liking a lot of the changes that were made, even to the adjustment tool (metal instead of that plastic nub). A couple things. It comes with a switchview; however, if you're looking to use your old folding SV, you will need to get a different size as the ocular tube and magnification ring are smaller. For those asking about Aadmount or Tenebraex, I've never used them on my Vortex, so I can't confirm sizing unfortunately, but I can tell you the new 6-36 ocular tube has a slight taper, and depending on where you measure there's about .02-05 difference between the two. In regards to the comparisons for ZCO, NF, Leopould etc... Try to remember there is a $1K difference between the MAP on some of those. I have most of those others, and I'll be doing my own comparison on different magnification levels and distances.

DSC_9803sml.jpg

Last edited:
Got to play with the GenIII a bit this weekend. Seems fine.

- Glass is probably approximately an ATACR or a bit less. Didn't do any side-by-side, but it wasn't immediately a shocker, like ZCO/TT/S&B
- Reticle "feels" good. It's pretty much the same as the Gen3XR in the scope
- Turrets feel less "poppy" than the Gen2
- "Only" one screw for zeroing turrets
- Fit and finish was average, in my view. Didn't strike me as exceptionally high quality, FWIW
- FOV is slightly larger than my TT. About .5mil larger at ~12x from what I could tell. The reticle goes to 5mil increments after ~10mil
- Eyebox seems very large. Image didn't get too weird at extremes, either. The image would just disappear before it got all purpley and fuzzy like some scopes

All in all, my unsolicited opinion is that it's a very good buy in the <$3000 category for competition scopes, but it's no game changer. Combined with the peace of mind in their warranty and the Gen2's track record, it'd be hard to beat dollar-for-dollar.

Got to play with the GenIII a bit this weekend. Seems fine.

- Glass is probably approximately an ATACR or a bit less. Didn't do any side-by-side, but it wasn't immediately a shocker, like ZCO/TT/S&B
- Reticle "feels" good. It's pretty much the same as the Gen3XR in the scope
- Turrets feel less "poppy" than the Gen2
- "Only" one screw for zeroing turrets
- Fit and finish was average, in my view. Didn't strike me as exceptionally high quality, FWIW
- FOV is slightly larger than my TT. About .5mil larger at ~12x from what I could tell. The reticle goes to 5mil increments after ~10mil
- Eyebox seems very large. Image didn't get too weird at extremes, either. The image would just disappear before it got all purpley and fuzzy like some scopes

All in all, my unsolicited opinion is that it's a very good buy in the <$3000 category for competition scopes, but it's no game changer. Combined with the peace of mind in their warranty and the Gen2's track record, it'd be hard to beat dollar-for-dollar.

Thanks for that, still seems like a positive review. I'm still going to keep my ZCOs, but a 50% Vortex Cert (or 30% off MAP) makes it really hard to beat. Now I just need to shoot some more matches to snag one...

Reactions: Thorbeast
I’m still interested to see it. Not that ATACR glass is bad but I’ve never really put NF in that category. Now i haven’t seen the 7-35 but to my eyes the 5-25 belonged in the category with my Gen II/AMG/MK5/k525i as far as IQ was concerned it never really quite stood out in the TT/ZCO/ZP5/S&B category. Personally as good as NF is they’ve always kind of been the jack of all trades ace of none in my eyes. Strictly speaking on the 5-25 as that’s the only one I’ve owned and been behind significantly. I still have pretty high hopes considering ILya’s initial
Impressions, hopefully i get to put it next to my ZP5. I’ll take it to DST to put it next to some ATACRs and PMIIs.

Last edited:
Thanks Nick.

Just got a couple in yesterday. I'm already really liking a lot of the changes that were made, even to the adjustment tool (metal instead of that plastic nub). A couple things. It comes with an switchview, however, if you're looking to use your old folding SV you will need to get a different size, as the ocular tube and magnification ring are smaller. For those asking about Aadmount or Tenebraex, I've never used them on my Vortex, so I can't confirm sizing unfortunately, but I can tell you the new 6-36 ocular tube has a slight taper, and depending on where you measure the there's about .02-05 difference. between the two. In regards to the comparisons for ZCO, NF, Leopould etc... Try to remember there is a $1K difference between the MAP on some of those. I have most of those others, and I'll be doing my own comparison on different magnification levels and distances.

I have one on order. I had a g2 and only sold it because I wanted to try a revic. Always liked the zero position markings on the turrets of the g2 for keeping track of zeros on the desert tech. Was looking real hard at a 5-25 Atacr partly because I love the mil-xt but the slightly wider fov on these and turret setup sealed the deal for me.

I have one on order. I had a g2 and only sold it because I wanted to try a revic. Always liked the zero position markings on the turrets of the g2 for keeping track of zeros on the desert tech. Was looking real hard at a 5-25 Atacr partly because I love the mil-xt but the slightly wider fov on these and turret setup sealed the deal for me.
Big fan of the Mil-XT also and was hoping vortex would come up with something eerily similar without violating a patent lol. But the EBR7D certainly looks very usable.

I’m still interested to see it. Not that ATACR glass is bad but I’ve never really put NF in that category. Now i haven’t seen the 7-35 but to my eyes the 5-25 belonged in the category with my Gen II/AMG/MK5/k525i as far as IQ was concerned it never really quite stood out in the TT/ZCO/ZP5/S&B category. Personally as good as NF is they’ve always kind of been the jack of all trades ace of none in my eyes. Strictly speaking on the 5-25 as that’s the only one I’ve owned and been behind significantly. I still have pretty high hopes considering ILya’s initial
Impressions, hopefully i get to put it next to my ZP5. I’ll take it to DST to put it next to some ATACRs and PMIIs.

It seems pretty well accepted that the 5-25 ATACR is a pretty considerable step down, glass-wise, from the 7-35 ATACR. Even the NF guys will tell you that the 7-35 is better in the image department.
My understanding is that the two scopes are even made in different factories, though that's not a rumor I can substantiate.

It seems pretty well accepted that the 5-25 ATACR is a pretty considerable step down, glass-wise, from the 7-35 ATACR. Even the NF guys will tell you that the 7-35 is better in the image department.
My understanding is that the two scopes are even made in different factories, though that's not a rumor I can substantiate.
I’ve heard the same that essentially the 7-35 is the best NF has to offer. But to me it prices itself out of the equation IMHO. In that range I’m going to seek out one of the aforementioned as I personally don’t see the need for the extra mag, despite ordering a Gen III (ordered for the glass 😳). Maybe that opinion will change after using the Gen III for a while. I really hope that we also get a 3.5-21x50 that could be priced at $2500 and maybe a touch shorter. Though something tells me that won’t be happening this time around. I feel like if we get a shorter optic in that range it will come from the AMG lineup.

If it matches zp5 I’ll be a happy camper, still the best glass I’ve looked through to my eye so far.

Reactions: 5RWill
I’ve heard the same that essentially the 7-35 is the best NF has to offer. But to me it prices itself out of the equation IMHO. In that range I’m going to seek out one of the aforementioned as I personally don’t see the need for the extra mag, despite ordering a Gen III (ordered for the glass 😳). Maybe that opinion will change after using the Gen III for a while. I really hope that we also get a 3.5-21x50 that could be priced at $2500 and maybe a touch shorter. Though something tells me that won’t be happening this time around. I feel like if we get a shorter optic in that range it will come from the AMG lineup.

Yes, I think the ATACR is the best $3000 scope the world's ever seen. Too bad it's $3800.

Yes, I think the ATACR is the best $3000 scope the world's ever seen. Too bad it's $3800.
Nowhere did i state the 7-35 is $3000? I think you’re missing my point. At that price I’d go ZCO or TT and be done with it. The extra mag isn’t worth it over IQ to me at that price is the point i was making.

Reactions: CSTactical
Folks, they have arrived. I will get everyone's order out tomorrow, at the time of this writing I have four units left unclaimed. Thanks!!!
Vortex said a couple years ago their goal was to have a much larger base of product available immediately after announcement to avoid the months and years of waiting, sounds like they are fulfilling this which is encouraging, especially consider the Gen II scopes were on backorder for over a year.

Vortex said a couple years ago their goal was to have a much larger base of product available immediately after announcement to avoid the months and years of waiting, sounds like they are fulfilling this which is encouraging, especially consider the Gen II scopes were on backorder for over a year.
That’s was a huge part of how they released this. They wanted dealers to have them on hand or in route when announced

Reactions: Steel head
I think some in this forum might get 'Vortex' etched into their tombstones
(and possibly embed a rusty pot-metal Harris bipod into the face).
So I think they are holding their own in the Fanboy department.:ROFLMAO:

I've had success with both brand's offerings.:)

Most brands have spectacularly dedicated fanboys. My basic yardstick though is simple: who yells at me the loudest when I do not pronounce their favourite product the latest and greatest bestest thing since slice bread. It is Nightforce fanboys and PA's ACSS fanboys. That's when I simply do not declare them the best. If I dare to actually offer critique... might as well go into witness protection. Any other brand's fanboys are a distant third at best.

Funny thing is that I really like some of the ATACR scopes and some of the ACSS reticles, but I am almost afraid to say it out loud since the cognitive dissonance might cause a collective aneurysm in some of the fanboy crowd.

ILya

Can someone that has or is getting a gen 3 that also has a gen 2 take a side by side pic? Color seems off when I see some pics of the gen 3 but that could be because of the light color temperature.

Reactions: Geno C.
Can someone that has or is getting a gen 3 that also has a gen 2 take a side by side pic? Color seems off when I see some pics of the gen 3 but that could be because of the light color temperature.
I will if it comes in this weekend. We just got a Gen II.

Reactions: LeftyJason

Was one of things I planned to do but not just color but size. Will do it unless someone else does it first.

Vortex video shows them side by side, a pick ups n the previous page also did as well

Geno C, that looks like a M70 in that stock. What chassis is it?

Thanks. Weird lighting then. My gen 2 looks more reddish. Taken under daylight 5000k balance bulbs.
20210710_195350.jpg

@Glassaholic i wasn't sure if those were preproduction or actual production scopes. If people are getting them now I was guessing more actual production. Also the gen 3 in the Vortex side by side video looks a little more goldish and the lighting wasn't daylight balanced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glassaholic
Thanks. Weird lighting then. My gen 2 looks more reddish. Taken under daylight 5000k balance bulbs.
View attachment 7782226

@Glassaholic i wasn't sure if those were preproduction or actual production scopes. If people are getting them now I was guessing more actual production. Also the gen 3 in the Vortex side by side video looks a little more goldish and the lighting wasn't daylight balanced.
To the naked eye, they aren’t the same

Quick and dirty, since I don't have time to setup anything elaborate today, but the lighting is even. I pulled a new Gen II, so no one can can go into sun fading etc. The Gen III is a hair shade lighter and almost unnoticeable; HOWEVER, that is not uncommon when batch coating, and variations are more common then people think. There are probably Gen IIs out there that would match up. That said, if you're overly concerned about the "shade differences," then you probably don't pull your rifle out of the safe often enough for it to matter, lol. On the Gen III, the objective bell is slightly longer with a resulting change in the taper, and the occular and eye piece are slightly shorter with a taper on both sides. The elevation turret is roughly .25" taller from the Gen II to the Gen III. And, the sunshade it shorter, which is probably to compensate for the longer objective bell so as to not increase the overall length.

DSC_9806.jpg

DSC_9807.jpg
DSC_9808.jpg

DSC_9809.jpg

Given everyone's first impressions and the price bracket alone I think it is very much expected for it to best the MK5.

FWIW for mag ring, my little brothers New Gen II we got from Scott has a super smooth mag ring. So I'm guessing they fixed that a while ago.

How about a glass report vs your favorite mid-tier (Mk5) and the reigning King ZCO... does she fall in-between or more MK5?

Dan only had it out for a short time this weekend and was very impressed with this new Razor. We will be evaluating it even more after Shot Show when we have time :) Vortex knocked it out of the park IMO.

Reactions: Geno C.
I like that the new sun shade isn't too long.
Are the objective threads the same as Gen2 for DFATs, etc?