• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Razor????

I don’t think PRS optics being heavy is a good thing, it shifts the center of gravity rearward which then requires either a mega thick barrel or add-on steel weights to properly balance the rifle on a bag.
Seems to me it's just a smarter approach to make a scope as light as possible IF it isn't going to sacrifice something in a major way. I'm very curious to see what Vortex has come up with.

I was speaking with a Vortex rep a month or so ago when I was going to order direct through them. The rep said something was in the works to replace the AMG.

Reactions: beetroot
I was speaking with a Vortex rep a month or so ago when I was going to order direct through them. The rep said something was in the works to replace the AMG.
That's what I'm most interested in. Every time I think about getting rid of my amg I look at the weight of what I'd replace it with and say.... nah.... If they have an amg that was similar but updated and top tier glass I'd certainly take a hard look.

Reactions: TheOE800
Well now you are being specific and talking about a chassis not often used in matches to make a point. That’s a PRS2 stock that is used quite a bit in matches. Problem is people have come to think rifles have to balance on a needle point exactly .634” in front of the mag well to shoot good. Truth is they don’t.

And to your example a 26” M24 would probably balance just fine in that AI. Not overly long or heavy.
I’ve been shooting an AI variant in matches for 5 years with a Gen2 Razor, so yes it applies exactly to me.

I want my rifle to balance exactly 4” in front of the magwell so that it balances perfectly on a Shmedium GC. Some like their rifle rear heavy, I don’t. The 48oz weight of the Gen2 makes this harder than it would be with a more typical 36-40oz optic.

Honestly, while I don't mind the heaviness, it's not a deal breaker to me (and maybe better for some) if the new one is lighter... I just hope any newfound lightness doesn't come at the expense of any beefiness. I like that the HDG2's are tanks, they don't feel delicate at all, and that they can take a beating.

“Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit them with it.”

I’ve been shooting an AI variant in matches for 5 years with a Gen2 Razor, so yes it applies exactly to me.

I want my rifle to balance exactly 4” in front of the magwell so that it balances perfectly on a Shmedium GC. Some like their rifle rear heavy, I don’t. The 48oz weight of the Gen2 makes this harder than it would be with a more typical 36-40oz optic.

Yup applies to you. Specific. 8 ounces shouldn't make that much of a difference in the scope to make it so unwieldy or unbalanced but your money so got to use what works for you.

Yup applies to you. Specific. 8 ounces shouldn't make that much of a difference in the scope to make it so unwieldy or unbalanced but your money so got to use what works for you.
I don’t even know what you’re even arguing at this point? Your specific example doesn’t apply to everyone either, in fact I would argue many more people shoot PRS matches with long heavy barrels and extra weight in a chassis to tune the balance than people that shoot a bone stock Manners and 18” barrel.

I shoot a fucking Gen2 razor lol

A lighter scope will let a rifle balance better on a barricade, unless it already has a 26” straight taper barrel and is too front heavy (those are generally used to add weight up front for better balance).

8oz extra that is 4-6” rear of the desired balance point WILL have a negative effect on the center of gravity of the rifle.

Let’s not argue the physics. Lighter is better for a majority of people, whether it’s PRS, plinking, or hunting. People that want to make their rifles 25#+ think the weight of the Gen2 is good because it’s “free” weight, not because it lends itself to a tuned balance.

I hope the Gen3 is better than the Gen2, and that includes being more in line with the weight of optics which have surpassed it.

I don’t even know what you’re even arguing at this point? Your specific example doesn’t apply to everyone either, in fact I would argue many more people shoot PRS matches with long heavy barrels and extra weight in a chassis to tune the balance than people that shoot a bone stock Manners and 18” barrel.

I shoot a fucking Gen2 razor lol

A lighter scope will let a rifle balance better on a barricade, unless it already has a 26” straight taper barrel and is too front heavy (those are generally used to add weight up front for better balance).

8oz extra that is 4-6” rear of the desired balance point WILL have a negative effect on the center of gravity of the rifle.

Let’s not argue the physics. Lighter is better for a majority of people, whether it’s PRS, plinking, or hunting. People that want to make their rifles 25#+ think the weight of the Gen2 is good because it’s “free” weight, not because it lends itself to a tuned balance.

I hope the Gen3 is better than the Gen2, and that includes being more in line with the weight of optics which have surpassed it.
Not arguing. Just talking. My example was showing that it doesn't need a long heavy barrel to balance. My centerfire rifles, that's a .22, have 28" M24 at least barrels and balance just fine on a bag in multiple Manners stocks. And my rifles are only about 16-18 pounds with the Razor II.

Totally guessing here: 3-35x, 36-38oz weight, $2800 street price
I would just buy another used ZCO compared to this at $26-2800.

Lets be honest, its not going to have similar glass to ZCO , TT, Minox or Ziess. I doubt its even going to be on March's level unless Deon is OEMin it.

Price this around $2-2.25K and they will sell a ton... Price it more and people will take a NF or Minox before getting into ZCO territory. Or they will go down a rung to the Burris/Bush/Leopold that are sub 2k. Anything over $2500 and just save up for a ZCO.

Lets be honest, its not going to have similar glass to ZCO , TT, Minox or Ziess. I doubt its even going to be on March's level unless Deon is OEMin it.

Price this around $2-2.25K and they will sell a ton... Price it more and people will take a NF or Minox before getting into ZCO territory. Or they will go down a rung to the Burris/Bush/Leopold that are sub 2k. Anything over $2500 and just save up for a ZCO.
Now that I think about it, that’s probably more realistic. The 1-10x msrp is $2899 and you see it going for around 2k.

Something besides the LHT FFP? That seemed like it checked most of the boxes to me.

Reactions: JDB55
Wants: 6-30x56 or 4-20x56 slightly stubby.

Weight less than current gen2, but I'm not actually fusses as my current gen2 is good for me.

Revised reticle.

Turret larger numbers / sub numbers as pointed out previously.

Looking at the photos that have been publicly posted.. looks like it’s 6-36x

Reactions: iceng
Drop the bronze color
.2 elevation increments
And make it lighter for balance….

I shoot an AX and i have to agree lowering the weight would be nice to get perfect balance on rear heavy guns

Drop the bronze color
.2 elevation increments
And make it lighter for balance….

I shoot an AX and i have to agree lowering the weight would be nice to get perfect balance on rear heavy guns
I can't see any reason to limit yourself to only 0.2 mil elevation clicks instead of 0.1 mil. Why would you want that?

I do want a factory black option though, still kicking myself for not buying one of the super rare factory black ones that I believe EuroOptic had maybe 50 of...

Let me help you with that

Angry Poor Noise.gif

ZCO does not have a 36x scope, will the glass be better than ZCO no! But the Gen 2 razor has sold a ton and used a lot over the last 6+ years and the glass was more than enough, 9 more power is a lot and would be enough to to make a choice over ZCO.

I would like to see another AMG, and hope the new Razor is not it.

Reactions: Secant
ZCO does not have a 36x scope, will the glass be better than ZCO no! But the Gen 2 razor has sold a ton and used a lot over the last 6+ years and the glass was more than enough, 9 more power is a lot and would be enough to to make a choice over ZCO.
Not worth the argument now as everything is assumptions at this point. Lets wait until people get behind one and I think they will be pleasantly surprised.

Dang itRob01 you are really good at keeping secrets. I am waiting for a ZCO with 3x reticle to come in stock. Now I am second guessing my decision.

Reactions: Rob01
Not worth the argument now as everything is assumptions at this point. Lets wait until people get behind one and I think they will be pleasantly surprised.
when will they announce anything about it? Shot?

Honestly not sure but I would guess not much longer and around the SHOT time frame. Not really a secret anymore with the scopes being used at AG Cup.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20200326155A1/en?assignee=Sheltered+Wings,+Inc.&num=100&sort=new

1639621896292.png
1639621919622.png

Abstract​

A viewing optic is disclosed. In one embodiment, the viewing optic is a rifle scope having a scope body, a movable optical element defining an optical axis connected to the scope body, a turret and a zero point adjustment subassembly. The turret includes a turret screw, a turret chassis subassembly and a turret cap. The turret screw defines a screw axis and is operably connected to the optical element for adjusting the optical axis in response to rotation of the screw. The turret cap at least partially overlaps the turret chassis subassembly. The zero point adjustment subassembly includes a zero cap connected to the turret screw and a locking mechanism. The locking mechanism releasably secures the zero cap and the turret. The zero point adjustment subassembly permits adjustment of the zero point without the use of tools.

Edit - Maybe off topic but here's there trademark applications for either this optic or potentially other upcoming optics.
https://uspto.report/company/Sheltered-Wings-Inc
1639623100851.png

Last edited:
I can't see any reason to limit yourself to only 0.2 mil elevation clicks instead of 0.1 mil. Why would you want that?

I do want a factory black option though, still kicking myself for not buying one of the super rare factory black ones that I believe EuroOptic had maybe 50 of...
On the reticle

On the turret i want .025s

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20200326155A1/en?assignee=Sheltered+Wings,+Inc.&num=100&sort=new

View attachment 7762071View attachment 7762073

Abstract​

A viewing optic is disclosed. In one embodiment, the viewing optic is a rifle scope having a scope body, a movable optical element defining an optical axis connected to the scope body, a turret and a zero point adjustment subassembly. The turret includes a turret screw, a turret chassis subassembly and a turret cap. The turret screw defines a screw axis and is operably connected to the optical element for adjusting the optical axis in response to rotation of the screw. The turret cap at least partially overlaps the turret chassis subassembly. The zero point adjustment subassembly includes a zero cap connected to the turret screw and a locking mechanism. The locking mechanism releasably secures the zero cap and the turret. The zero point adjustment subassembly permits adjustment of the zero point without the use of tools.

Edit - Maybe off topic but here's there trademark applications for either this optic or potentially other upcoming optics.
https://uspto.report/company/Sheltered-Wings-Inc
View attachment 7762083
I'm fairly technically minded but no matter how many times I look at that sectional view I can't deciper how that turret works.

Reactions: GhostFace
Larger numbers like this?

Don't you go dumping this stuff here unless it comes with an attached production date.....

How did they get away with ripping of the Leupold Zero Lock button?
Didn't NF get in trouble for that?

Don't you go dumping this stuff here unless it comes with an attached production date.....

How did they get away with ripping of the Leupold Zero Lock button?
Didn't NF get in trouble for that?

They'll just have to call it American Whiskey instead of Bourbon.

• Haha
Reactions: Birddog6424