• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Reloading Room Build

Rocketmandb

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2018
    I'm finally working on getting my reloading bench out of my small office and into what was a guest bedroom (my current office will become the new bedroom). It's longer by almost 3 feet, which allows me to put in 12' of bench space. Since this is also going to be my work office, I need to have benches that are more or less furniture quality, so I got some cool stuff. I'll also be pulling the doors off the closet and putting my existing 4' bench in there along with my safe. .

Basic equipment and stuff:
    - Two Duramax 72" benches
    - One Duramax tool chest
    - Inline Fabrication press stand for my T7
    - A bunch of Inline Fabrication rail wall organizing stuff
    - Hornady bench system for things like trimmers, etc.
    - A cool new industrial looking desk (that has nothing to do with reloading)

I spent much of the day putting the first things together:
    IMG_0776.jpg

Press will b going on the right side, and as mentioned, closet doors coming off to give me more space.

And new shades for the window.

My house is being built right now, I gave up my three car garage for my wife’s kitchen, so I get the smallest bedroom for my gun room. Those benches are great looking! Way better than the Sams club gladiator knock offs I was looking at. Are they nice and sturdy? Could you post a link where you got them?

My house is being built right now, I gave up my three car garage for my wife’s kitchen, so I get the smallest bedroom for my gun room. Those benches are great looking! Way better than the Sams club gladiator knock offs I was looking at. Are they nice and sturdy? Could you post a link where you got them?

These are available at Home Depot (see story below). There is another set by Whalen that's supposedly available through Costco, but my local store didn't have everything I wanted, and it turns out these will work out better.

Home Depot - Benches:

Home Depot - Tool Chest:

Whalen Site:

Lots more options available with the Whalen stuff, but ffs, can't you make your products available somewhere other than frikking Costco???? I just gave up on it.

Duramax story:
    So the tool chest can get shipped (arriving today), but the benches had to be store pick up. So I drive down there with my Jeep Wrangler. I've got a zombie rack up top, so figure I'll be okay putting them up there. When I tell the guys who will be loading it what I want to do, they both look at each other then back to me, and roll their eyes. It took both of them to wheel out to my jeep. They looked heavy.

"How much do they weigh?"

One of the guys simply points at the side of one of the boxes. Big, block letters spell out, "330 lbs"

"Oh shit."

They call over someone else, and the four of us hoist the first up on top of the zombie rack. The second one was giving us issues fitting in, so they call in a forklift. It had to be put sideways, which just added more height and thus a higher center of gravity on my already roll-prone Jeep. I strap them both down then thank the guys. I'm about to hop in and drive away, when I turn back to them.

"I wonder how I'm going to get these things off?"

These are available at Home Depot (see story below). There is another set by Whalen that's supposedly available through Costco, but my local store didn't have everything I wanted, and it turns out these will work out better.

Home Depot - Benches:

Home Depot - Tool Chest:

Whalen Site:

Lots more options available with the Whalen stuff, but ffs, can't you make your products available somewhere other than frikking Costco???? I just gave up on it.

Duramax story:
    So the tool chest can get shipped (arriving today), but the benches had to be store pick up. So I drive down there with my Jeep Wrangler. I've got a zombie rack up top, so figure I'll be okay putting them up there. When I tell the guys who will be loading it what I want to do, they both look at each other then back to me, and roll their eyes. It took both of them to wheel out to my jeep. They looked heavy.

"How much do they weigh?"

One of the guys simply points at the side of one of the boxes. Big, block letters spell out, "330 lbs"

"Oh shit."

They call over someone else, and the four of us hoist the first up on top of the zombie rack. The second one was giving us issues fitting in, so they call in a forklift. It had to be put sideways, which just added more height and thus a higher center of gravity on my already roll-prone Jeep. I strap them both down then thank the guys. I'm about to hop in and drive away, when I turn back to them.

"I wonder how I'm going to get these things off?"
    Hahahahaha. Well how’d you get them off? I’d say they are more than sturdy. At 330lbs

Hahahahaha. Well how’d you get them off? I’d say they are more than sturdy. At 330lbs

I wasn't sure what to do - was thinking of everything from dekitting on the roof, to using the winch on my jeep off a large overhanging tree branch to lift them (though you could imagine the failure scenarios there...). Fortunately we're getting some roof work done and there was a crew of 4 guys working at our house.

I wasn't sure what to do - was thinking of everything from dekitting on the roof, to using the winch on my jeep off a large overhanging tree branch to lift them (though you could imagine the failure scenarios there...). Fortunately we're getting some roof work done and there was a crew of 4 guys working at our house.
    Will you update when you mount your press? I’m worried about the wheels

Will you update when you mount your press? I’m worried about the wheels

Sure thing. By the way, my current bench has wheels and the press works fine. You can also take the wheels off if necessary.

I’m sold on these. I might go buy them this week and just leave them in the boxes

I have to say that I'm impressed with them so far. And the top is heavy - all wood. It and the drawers represent the lion's share of the weight. I also like the metal grate underneath. At 6' long, I can stow my rifle bags there. This is currently an issue for me - either toss them in the closet, or they litter up my floor in the corner.

I also like the 4 drawers. Lots of room to stash stuff.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    I have to say that I'm impressed with them so far. And the top is heavy - all wood. It and the drawers represent the lion's share of the weight. I also like the metal grate underneath. At 6' long, I can stow my rifle bags there. This is currently an issue for me - either toss them in the closet, or they litter up my floor in the corner.

I also like the 4 drawers. Lots of room to stash stuff.
    I bought 1.5” s hooks on amazon, to hand my rifle/backpacks tripod bag up in my closet like clothes. Cheap space saving solution

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    I bought a couple Industrial Packing tables from U line. They hold up to 500lbs each, ajustable heights, you can choose length & depth, and what kind of surface you want the top to be.
    1591286674886.png

1A0CC81E-9EF8-4D15-AF6C-29AE46BADB8F.jpeg

This is my old reloading bench. They discontinued it, but it was around $1500 when I first bought it. I’m going on the cheap route this time around, found a bench on amazon for under $200. Only catch is the new one doesn’t have drawers, will have to decide if I’m going to sacrifice some real estate on the bench for shelves or not.

I really really like the dog.
    My Golden was that color, one of the best dogs I ever had.
    My God,for what those benches cost you could have built something custom.
    That's a lot of loot .

Reactions: Nimothy
    Been making progress on the reloading room. Finally got all the lighting stuff in and put it in today. I'm getting the trim put in tomorrow, then it's just getting the bench itself set up.

View attachment 7356785
    The bench looks nice. As an electrician I just have to ask what have you got going on with that lighting? I know about rigid conduit but you have gas pipe to run your electrical through?

I really like that setup so far. I just recently got my reloading area set up. Not near as nice as yours though lol

The black iron looks nice, complements the aesthetic of his benches.

Thanks. I sort of backed into this. For whatever frikking reason the ceiling fixture is all the way on one side of the room and I didn't want to cut open the ceiling to run a new wire. I figured going industrial was a good way to run wire and have fixtures wherever I wanted. And since this doubles as my office, it needs to look good. So I've got two over the benches and one over where my desk will be. I'll also be putting my existing small bench into the closet along with a smallish gun safe. I've got my Hornady bench system mounted to it already, and will use it to keep my main bench a little less cluttered.

Are you in a humid region by any chance? Black iron can be a rust bomb, a coat of paint or clear coat will protect it from surface rust.

Are you in a humid region by any chance? Black iron can be a rust bomb, a coat of paint or clear coat will protect it from surface rust.

No - I'm in California. It's very low humidity 9 months out of the year, and not overly humid for the "wet" season (just on the days it rains).

No - I'm in California. It's very low humidity 9 months out of the year, and not overly humid for the "wet" season (just on the days it rains).
    It does look nice I was just pointing out that its against NEC codes so just don't get a home inspection and you are good to go.

I bought a couple Industrial Packing tables from U line. They hold up to 500lbs each, ajustable heights, you can choose length & depth, and what kind of surface you want the top to be.
    View attachment 7343156

I saw this and thought it might be nice to have a second setup in one of my spare rooms rather than being holed up in the basement. I've never not used a work bench mounted to a wall though so I'm hesitant, how has this worked out for you?

That old kennedy bench I had wasn’t bolted to anything, had no problem running a press. Even ripping rims off stuck cases, bench didn’t move. I’m sure having two drawers full of bullets helped some.