• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Ruger RPR's - Magnum options

Bandit31

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2018
Bakersfield, Ca
For those that haven't seen Ruger released two new chambering for the RPR, .300wm and .338lm. From a quick glance at the spec sheet, it looks like they're really paying attention to customers needs and wants.
models.html

Reactions: Bender
15.2 pounds. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad.

Full length Arca rail as well.

15.2 pounds. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad.

Full length Arca rail as well.

Thats what first caught my eye as well! Well not the first because I noticed they included a picatiny rail segment for the bottom with the stud in it but then I noticed the acra cuts right after
4.jpg

Reactions: Bandit31
I missed the 1.5" rail built in at first but that is a sweet addition. It's nice to see they also beefed it up and added two more 8-40 screws to hold on the 30moa rail.

It's hard to tell but it also looks like they beefed up the receiver and I'm hoping they did the same to the bolts too.

It also looks like the bolts are now coming nitrided and they're now including tunable muzzle brakes. Overall, I'm super impressed with it and the features Ruger put in.

Anyone have info on mag size coal you can run.

Today was the official release of them, not even up for sale or in the publics hands as of yet. My guess is they're standard AI mags so about 3.650"-3.675" on the 300wm. Not sure on the LM.

Edit: Just saw a select few for sale.

Last edited:
I'm not. Ruger is still building the RPR brand so they need to sell decent quantity. Why would they sell a new rifle that's hard to get ammo for?

Wasn't Ruger the first major company to mass market a "production" 6.5cm rifle (I think it was the Ruger American)? I figure they would be first in line for the latest Hornady venture if not partnered with Hornady for the new cartridge considering the parent case that led to the 300PRC.

Wasn't Ruger the first major company to mass market a "production" 6.5cm rifle (I think it was the Ruger American)? I figure they would be first in line for the latest Hornady venture if not partnered with Hornady for the new cartridge considering the parent case that led to the 300PRC.

The Ruger American was designed in 2011 and first produced in 2012.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_American_Rifle

6.5 Creedmoor was designed in 2007 and first produced in 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Creedmoor

So it's not like Ruger jumped on the cartridge right off the bat.

EDIT: Remember, the comment I repied to was this:

I'm surprised there's no 300 PRC version as well.

The quoted comment of yours was about offering 300 PRC for the RPR, not the Ruger American. If Ruger was going to offer a PRC cartridge for the American, I could see them offering the 6.5 PRC since ammo is readily available, even if limited in variety. And the kicker is that 6.5 PRC as a hunting cartridge will probably outsell it as an ELR option, so the American is a more likely offering. I would not be shocked to see the 300 PRC available on the American after ammo is readily available, but I've not seen it on the shelf yet and have not found it online either.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the RPR take on the 6.5 PRC eventually, maybe in a few years if it grows in popularity as an ELR cartridge. That's a fairly big "if" at this point, and it remains to be seen if the 300 PRC will eclipse the 6.5 PRC as an ELR cartridge. I'm all-in on both, with a 30" left-hand gain twist barrel on order for 6.5 PRC that will be used to shoot solids and a 30" 300 PRC left hand gain twist barrel, also dedicated to shooting solids to be ordered as soon as I get time to drop by Mile High.

Last edited:
Yeah... I definitely found what my Christmas bonus is going towards this year. Fiance will probably kill me but oh well haha.
Now to go with 300wm (which i already have everything to load for) or 338lm (which I have a case of ammo for from that "fire sale" Prime ammo had a month or so back) ??

They are offering a fde version for the 6.5 and 308 under Talk distribution.
If they do the same for 338 I will get one.

I missed the 1.5" rail built in at first but that is a sweet addition. It's nice to see they also beefed it up and added two more 8-40 screws to hold on the 30moa rail.

It's hard to tell but it also looks like they beefed up the receiver and I'm hoping they did the same to the bolts too.

It also looks like the bolts are now coming nitrided and they're now including tunable muzzle brakes. Overall, I'm super impressed with it and the features Ruger put in.
Can anybody confirm Ruger building up their receiver for the much bigger 338LM?

I was really hoping they would come out with a long action RPR. I want to do a 284 Winchester loaded long.

However, looks like I'll run into an issue with bolt size. Neither 300wm or 338 will work.

If I screw on a 284 barrel on the short action version with a bunch of freebore to allow me to load long, I'm guessing I would have to remove the bolt to eject a live round.

Hmmmm I wonder if you could use the bolt from a standard size rpr and put it in the 300wm version. Any thoughts?

I was really hoping they would come out with a long action RPR. I want to do a 284 Winchester loaded long.

However, looks like I'll run into an issue with bolt size. Neither 300wm or 338 will work.

If I screw on a 284 barrel on the short action version with a bunch of freebore to allow me to load long, I'm guessing I would have to remove the bolt to eject a live round.

Hmmmm I wonder if you could use the bolt from a standard size rpr and put it in the 300wm version. Any thoughts?

RPR short action bolt will not work in long action RPR. Like putting a Remington 700 short action bolt in a long action. Apples and oranges.

Going through all that trouble, why not just buy a long action rifle then get a chassis for it? Or build one up completely? It'll be more expensive than RPR street price, but you'll have to modify the RPR to work and that costs money. Probably end up spending close to the same amount but can tailor it exactly like you want.

Can anybody confirm Ruger building up their receiver for the much bigger 338LM?

I just watched a video where they interviewed someone from Ruger and he essentially said the only thing that was the same was the butt stock, everything else was scaled accordingly.

This was the 338 Lapua model. Didn’t specify if the Win mag version was the same upscaled gun or built on the old frame

Reactions: K.B.808
Thanks guys. Any thoughts as to possible initial bugs? I’m trying to talk myself out of spending money but my selective hearing is pretty bad.

Reactions: 300wmSlick
Did they keep the ability for the user to change barrels? Or better yet make it easier?

I know...dumb question about the bolt.

I have looked into getting an elisio tube setup, but it would just be nice to have an exact match to my RPR short action.

RPR short action bolt will not work in long action RPR. Like putting a Remington 700 short action bolt in a long action. Apples and oranges.

Going through all that trouble, why not just buy a long action rifle then get a chassis for it? Or build one up completely? It'll be more expensive than RPR street price, but you'll have to modify the RPR to work and that costs money. Probably end up spending close to the same amount but can tailor it exactly like you want.

Did they keep the ability for the user to change barrels? Or better yet make it easier?

I don’t see why they would change it - I think that’s a pretty big draw to this platform in the first place.

Based on that assumption though, I wonder how long until @LongRifles Inc. will have prefits available for them.

Reactions: bigjake83
Any word on magazine length? Still hoping it'll take the 3.850" accurate mags that have a max coal of 3.750"

Video summary - Larger receiver, same stock, same trigger group. No info on the mags.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burnbio
interested in the 300 mag version.

been wanting to get into 300 win mag for around $1500 for the gun only, think this might be the ticket.

interested in the 300 mag version.

been wanting to get into 300 win mag for around $1500 for the gun only, think this might be the ticket.
Same here. The reload cost of 338LM has me hesitant... but the dang price is borderline irresistible.

Same here. The reload cost of 338LM has me hesitant... but the dang price is borderline irresistible.

i briefly thought about the 338 version but i already have a 30 cal silencer and no 338 silencer, 300 win mag it is lol

i briefly thought about the 338 version but i already have a 30 cal silencer and no 338 silencer, 300 win mag it is lol
Silencers are a no-go here in Hawaii. Which is a good thing as it helps to limit my spending.

I’m new to the long range game, other than energy down range does the 300 win mag offer anything over the 6.5 Creedmoor?

I’m new to the long range game, other than energy down range does the 300 win mag offer anything over the 6.5 Creedmoor?

Very little unless you are trying to go to 1200+ yards and hand load using the heavy 30 cal bullets. If you're are target shooting, out to 11-1200, 6.5 creed all the way.

Very little unless you are trying to go to 1200+ yards and hand load using the heavy 30 cal bullets. If you're are target shooting, out to 11-1200, 6.5 creed all the way.

I bought a 6.5 recently, but as always with guns I’m already planning my next :unsure: ha

I’ve lusted after a 338 Lapua for a very long time, but that would purely be a “Look I have a 338 Lapua” more than it would actually get shot, so now I second guess if I want it, or a different magnum round.

I’ve lusted after a 338 Lapua for a very long time, but that would purely be a “Look I have a 338 Lapua” more than it would actually get shot, so now I second guess if I want it, or a different magnum round.

Go with the 300 Mag shooting with the 225 ELD,it will keep up with the 338 LM to a mile!