• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Ruger RPR's - Magnum options

I got an answer back from Timney about their triggers for the magnum RPR's:
Our trigger for the short action is being redesigned to fit in the RPR. Our RPR for the magnum has not been released as of yet.

Reactions: bigjake83
Shot mine today only out to 700yrds it shot very well. Sub MOA 5 shot groups at that range

I got an answer back from Timney about their triggers for the magnum RPR's:
Our trigger for the short action is being redesigned to fit in the RPR. Our RPR for the magnum has not been released as of yet.

I modified a short action Timney to fit in my 338. The upper rear corner needed about 1/4" x 1/4" removed from the housing.

@SIDS01 I figured it was possible to make them fit, i just didn't know if they were "drop-in" is why i emailed timney. I'm curious as to why they are modifying them for their short actions RPR's.

I thought about taking pictures at the time, but I was really fired up about the gun and just wanted to get my new toy running.

IIRC, the trigger slot in the action is shorter with the big guns. The short action Timney catches on the back corner and won't drop down into the slot into the action.

On the magnum RPR's, has anyone replaced the factory barrel with a Proof CF barrel and can comment on the weight saved?

What do we think about the 300 PRC offering for the RPR? Looks like a decent way to get into a 300 PRC.

The 300wm and 338lm seem to be getting tons of praise so I think the 300prc will be well received when people start warming up to it. As far as I can tell the only thing that would hold it back is Hornady trying to keep up with demand.

On the magnum RPR's, has anyone replaced the factory barrel with a Proof CF barrel and can comment on the weight saved?

That option doesn't exist yet as near as I can tell. The stripped 338 barrel weighs 4# 13 oz. A 24" 6.5cm Proof RPR barrel weighs 2# 11 oz. The 338 barrel is longer and has a larger shank, so it'll be heavier than the 6.5 barrel. Best guess? 1.5-2#

Many of the barrel nut wrenches for the short action RPRs won't fit over the handguard threads on the big guns. I modified an AR15 wrench to remove mine.

That option doesn't exist yet as near as I can tell. The stripped 338 barrel weighs 4# 13 oz. A 24" 6.5cm Proof RPR barrel weighs 2# 11 oz. The 338 barrel is longer and has a larger shank, so it'll be heavier than the 6.5 barrel. Best guess? 1.5-2#

Many of the barrel nut wrenches for the short action RPRs won't fit over the handguard threads on the big guns. I modified an AR15 wrench to remove mine.

On my Expertvoice account, Proof is showing a few offerings for the magnum RPR's already and has for a few weeks. I believe Stocky's was showing a few options available as well which peaked my curiosity.

Re: on the wrenches. I wasn't aware of the fitment issues but by the time I go to replace the barrel, I'm sure wrenches will be available.

LRI’s Facebook page recently showed them making magnum barrel nut wrenches.

No doubt those barrels and wrenches are on the way.

The regular Proof website doesn't show them yet. Do they give a weight on the Expertvoice link? Stocky's didn't. Stocky's also shows the long action calibers as back ordered.

I went the other way with a longer heavier 300 Norma barrel made from a Bartlein 1.25" blank.

No doubt those barrels and wrenches are on the way.

The regular Proof website doesn't show them yet. Do they give a weight on the Expertvoice link? Stocky's didn't. Stocky's also shows the long action calibers as back ordered.

I went the other way with a longer heavier 300 Norma barrel made from a Bartlein 1.25" blank.

No weights listed on Expertvoice but I reached out to Proof last night to get more info.

Anyone else having a feeding issue with there’s. If I run the bolt hard it will double feed and jam to the point I can’t get them out by hand nor drop the mag. I have to use a knife or flat head screwdriver banging on the butt of it. I was running the bolt fast but not nearly as fast or hard as I could. Anyone else?
Edit: 300 win mag with 215 Berger

Since this is my first RPR I am still learning some things about what works on it and what doesn't, so forgive me if I end up asking a stupid question (or two).
Does the same triggers for the short action RPR's work for the long action RPR's?
Also would a Magpul PRS gen 3 work on the long action RPR?
Is there really any parts/accessories that won't work on the long action version that do work on the short actions (other than the more obvious things like the handguards)?
Magpul PRS 3 can be installed but the length of pull will be 16.5" to start. You may have better results with the LMT DMR 556 stock, the LOP is 14.5" fully collapsed.

Magpul PRS 3 can be installed but the length of pull will be 16.5" to start. You may have better results with the LMT DMR 556 stock, the LOP is 14.5" fully collapsed.
Will either of those options still allow me to fold the butt stock up?

The Magpul PRS3 will allow folding and locking in the folded position (the stock can be locked folded by rotating the push button). The LMT DMR 556 will allow limited folding but not locked in the folded position due to the wider SOPMOD cheeck rest will not allow the stock to fold parallel with the receiver. Both models will slip right on to a mil spec carbine length buffer tube which is what the RPR Magnum (at least mine) has. Another caveat I discovered about the LMT is the cheek rest is cutoff at the front (to allow charging handle to clear in AR platform) this required me to reposition the optic farthest to the rear for proper eye relief and still get a decent cheek weld.

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: SIDS01
Hey dudes, I have the 300 PRC version ordered and I want to put her on a diet. The barrel is probably the easiest change but its also very hard to obtain right now. I was thinking drop the pound of metal hanging off the barrel and change the handguard. Has anyone changed the handguard? I'm guessing a handguard that fits the 308/DPMS is the size I will need but without the rifle I cant confirm. Any owners have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: thejeep
Hey dudes, I have the 300 PRC version ordered and I want to put her on a diet. The barrel is probably the easiest change but its also very hard to obtain right now. I was thinking drop the pound of metal hanging off the barrel and change the handguard. Has anyone changed the handguard? I'm guessing a handguard that fits the 308/DPMS is the size I will need but without the rifle I cant confirm. Any owners have a suggestion? Thanks in advance!

The RPR 300 PRC is completely proprietary, you cannot swap out handguards like you can on the standard large caliber setup. You can shorten the barrel trim down the handguard or install a Carbon Fiber Drop-In Barrel those are the only options.

Reactions: Vidar
Hey dudes,

Would anyone be able to take off thier handguard and measure the barrel nut and count the teeth?
Could you also please weigh the handguard?
My rifle is still at the smith getting the barrel installed. I think I found a handguard that will work and hopefully shave some more weight!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey dudes,

Would anyone be able to take off thier handguard and measure the barrel nut and count the teeth?
Could you also please weigh the handguard?
My rifle is still at the smith getting the barrel installed. I think I found a handguard that will work and hopefully shave some more weight!

Thank you!

Why not call and ask the Smith who has your Handguard and Barrel Nut off for your current barrel swap?

Last edited:
Reactions: 300wmSlick
Hey Vidar,

The barrel nut on the RPR Magnum has 20 teeth. Chad Dixon from LRI sells the barrel nut wrenches, I just counted the teeth on that.hoW9IAwqQaOYmmDerz2LSg.jpg

The RPR Magnum barrel nut uses the same AR15 spline setup, but that LRI wrench won't work because the handguard nut threads ahead of the splnes are too large.

BigRPRBarrelNut.jpg

I bored a Brownells AR15 wrench to get mine off.

BigRPRWrench.jpg

The Magnum RPR has been out awhile now, so you might call LRI to see if they have a wrench that will work. I have one of theirs for the short action RPR and it will not work on the Magnum.

The RPR Magnum barrel nut uses the same AR15 spline setup, but that LRI wrench won't work because the handguard nut threads ahead of the splnes are too large.

View attachment 7146498

I bored a Brownells AR15 wrench to get mine off.

View attachment 7146501

The Magnum RPR has been out awhile now, so you might call LRI to see if they have a wrench that will work. I have one of theirs for the short action RPR and it will not work on the Magnum.

Correct. A standard AR15 barrel nut wrench won't work on the magnum RPR.

LRI now has a wrench soecifically for the RPR magnum. It's the best tool I've found since it has 360 degree tooth engagement. It's $110 but I ordered one since I brought a Krieger prefit barrel for my .300 and I wanted the right tool. I also got a mechforce barrel vice. I hope it goes smoothly as Ruger torques their barrel nut to 150 ft/lbs so having the right tools will be key.

Good to hear stuff is becoming available for the RPR Magnum.

The trick to getting the barrels loose is a big hammer on the wrench rather than just pulling on it. The wrench needs to be stout to be treated like that.

The RPR Magnum barrel shank is 1.200", so I bored a set of oak blocks for it. I have a barrel vise, but didn't bother with it on this one.

I bored the handguard nut to clear a standard 1.25" barrel blank. It'll still work with the factory barrel and is unseen under the handguard.

Wasn't Ruger the first major company to mass market a "production" 6.5cm rifle (I think it was the Ruger American)? I figure they would be first in line for the latest Hornady venture if not partnered with Hornady for the new cartridge considering the parent case that led to the 300PRC.
Nope, savage did with the model 12lrp

Thank you for the replies!

I did call my smith(before I posted this) and he is just the office guy and he couldn't get any answers for me at the moment(he did say sometime next week)

That being said has anyone weighed thier factory handguard?

I think I found a good replacement handguard that will work but before I buy it I want to see if it's significantly lighter, worth the cost and potential fitting headache.

I will be purchasing both recommended tools for future barrel changes.

Thanks all!

Reactions: bigjake83
Still looking for the weight of the factory handguard. If anyone has theirs off and can weigh the thing you would help me out big time!

Thanks!

Hey dudes,

I got my rifle back from my smith! With the barrel swap I am down to 13.2 lbs. I weighed the handguard and it's a whopping 2.2 lbs with the whole mounting system. I am working with a handguard manufacturer and I believe I will have a lighter handguard that will work for the magnums! Once we workout the mounting details or determine if it's not possible I will let everyone know.

Tags for others searching for this info: Ruger Precision Rifle magnum
RPR magnum handguard weight

Thanks!

Hey dudes,

I got my rifle back from my smith! With the barrel swap I am down to 13.2 lbs. I weighed the handguard and it's a whopping 2.2 lbs with the whole mounting system. I am working with a handguard manufacturer and I believe I will have a lighter handguard that will work for the magnums! Once we workout the mounting details or determine if it's not possible I will let everyone know.

Tags for others searching for this info: Ruger Precision Rifle magnum
RPR magnum handguard weight

Thanks!

How did the factory 300prc shoot? Thinking about getting one.

Hey all,

I spoke with the handguard manufacturer and they have successfully made a barrel nut that will allow the use of thier handguard on your magnums! They told me that my handguard is currently being cut so any day now I will have this thing back in my hands and I will post pics!

Hey all,

I recived my RPR 300 PRC back from the the custom handguard maker! If you want to customize your RPR magnum handguard contact Unique ARs (
https://unique-ars.com ) you can use one of the handguards that they have in stock or you can go full custom like I did. I went for a bears head on the muzzle end. I also have thier rifle grip installed. You can adjust it to completely conform to your hand!

Final weight to my rifle as pictured is 14.7 lbs! If I take the monopod and bipod off I'm right about 13.8 lbs!

Attachments

• 20191118_104616.jpg
    20191118_104616.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 20191118_104627.jpg
    20191118_104627.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: IronmanDaremo
I have a .300 PRC that will be here the end of the week, beginning of next. The Sightron SIII 8x32x56 will be here tomorrow. I will keep everyone apprised as I get it worked up.

Reactions: blacknwhite11
I have a .300 PRC that will be here the end of the week, beginning of next. The Sightron SIII 8x32x56 will be here tomorrow. I will keep everyone apprised as I get it worked up.
Excellent, looking forward to hearing from you

Anyone have one of these in 300prc? Looking for an honest opinion.
I have an RPR magnum in 300 PRC. Bought new and have put 100 rounds through it. I’ve taken it out to a mile with factory ELD-M 225gr and it was accurate. Only changes I’ve made to it is putting a Timney trigger, MPA grip and an Anarchy Outdoors bolt shroud on it. Great performing rifle particularly at its price point.

Reactions: blacknwhite11