• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Scam Appearing, Buyers Be Very Careful

Yeah so here’s a question about my now unfortunate username. I had an account years ago that I couldn’t get reset so I made the Smid. Profile to keep the same name as I use it on other forums. Any way to get the OG deleted and this one changed so everyone doesn’t think I’m a Nigerian prince posting in the classifieds

Just put in a name change in your profile.

Just put in a name change in your profile.

IMG_3401.png

Reactions: lash
I’m getting the same error

You will probably have to get with Lowlight or Alex to get that taken care of if you had to have Smid as the name. Otherwise change it to something else if you are worried about the period. You shouldn’t have an issue though as you have a post history.

Reactions: lash and Smith1
The account was already banned,

if you keep wasting our time I am gonna remove both accounts

We have a process to report these accounts, it's called the report button, use the report button, if you can see it you can report it

The account above has a user name with no period and one with a period that will get you banned,

I have time to try and figure out who's account is what,
I sincerely apologize if I did something wrong. I was not able to report because I was only sent a screenshot from my buyer.

Just trying to help this community. Pm me if you want my phone number to chat.

Chris Garcia

The buyer should report it, the screen shots are the problem

one, you cannot always tell how they might have changed the name, and two, many people are actually turning in the correct account vs the spoofed account

Because people write to each other and do not report the accounts in real-time, they often choose the wrong account. We have banned at least three real accounts because the user doesn't know the difference.

As soon as you see a scammer account, hit the report button, saves a lot of trouble

Listen,

Not trying to be a jerk, but when you use the system I can see more stuff, I can link multiple accounts, vs doing all this work manually when you ask me to find the scammer

the report button gives me tools,

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 11.32.01 AM.png

Reactions: lash
People aren't finding a way to report if the scammer limits who can see their profile. Any tips?

1704743387765.png

Lowlight, Thanks for all you're doing to keep the buy/sell/trade thread alive. I've made some connections & had some good phone conversations with people I've called about deals. And I've bought/sold some gear I probably wouldn't have anywhere else.

Reactions: ohiofarmer
My account appears to have been hacked. Had a buyer contact me and tell me he sent payment, no clue how the hell this works or how he intercepted my pm’s. I changed my password but not sure what else I need to do.

My account appears to have been hacked. Had a buyer contact me and tell me he sent payment, no clue how the hell this works or how he intercepted my pm’s. I changed my password but not sure what else I need to do.
Did you report him? You know, using the report button that’s on every post and PM and in the buyer’s info? Do you read?

That’s what you need to do. See? This button right here:
1704822174208.png

If you can log into your account it was not hacked, hacked accounts have the passwords and emails changed

They spoofed your account most likely changing a letter to make it look like you sent it, they watch the forum, see when someone posts an I'll take it or any other post to confirm you want an item, they spoof the seller with a slightly misspelled name and contact you immediately.

If you don't check the account, post count is the big red flag, you could be talking to a fake account

But if you can log in, you are not hacked, it's a spoof

Reactions: Baron23
What was weird was the guy changed 2 characters in the username, but was getting the messages that were being sent to my account. I only found out because the buyer actually sent the guy a number and I responded to the message and the buyer had already sent him the cash. When I went back the messages with his number were gone.

Seems the scammers have figured out a way around new accounts and limiting profile view.

This imposter account using a "_" just signed up @GenericBadGuy_

Another new imposter who bypassed the restriction on limiting profile view, @CpIGardner using "i" instead of L

I am still getting emails with books written about how someone was scammed by "BOB" and give them a call ..

1. I am not calling anyone, so if you offer me your number, I am not calling

2. Report the issue in real-time, most don't report it, and then write me a book. To be honest 75% of the emails have been wrong because they do not realize the seller was spoofed, so they reported the actual seller, not the scammer,

3. Please don't assume the person you spoke to the first time is the scammer, they are spoofing people

If you don't know what a Spoofed Account is, they adjust the user name to look like someone else,

Watch Post Counts, Actually look at the user name and account you are talking too