• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New scope for 6.5 Creedmoor - Need Advice

CaptNemo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama
    Christmas bonus time ( So is Black Friday ) is coming soon, and I want to put a new scope on my Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor.

zxojZ3K.jpg

Currently, the rife has a Millett 4-16x 50 scope and will shoot groups in the 1/2 MOA range with factory Hornady 140 Amax ammo when I'm doing my part.
    I started hand loading for it and hoping to make the ammo a bit more consistent and make me more consistent with the rifle.

Since I read the Sitcky:

Platform: Savage 12 LRP Bolt Gun
    Chambered: 6.5 Creedmoor
    Intentions are: Shooting steel and paper, possibly moving into PRS type shooting
    Conditions: currently daylight, that may change - illuminated reticle is a plus
    Shooting Distance: now out to 440 yards could increase in the near future
    Specifications I would like: FFP, 30mm tube, at least 16X magnification, 1/10 Mil turrets, illuminated reticle is a plus, simple "Mil-Dot" type reticle
    Price Range is no more than $ 1,200.00. I would like to be closer to $1,000.00 as I have a chrono to buy as well.

You would be well served with a Bushnell LRHS OR LRTSi in 4.5-18x44. My personal opinion.. they are the best bang for your buck in this price range. Optically speaking, they are excellent and turrets are nice as well.

I like athalon ares it has nice clear glass comes in mil or moa has a positive set zero. Run about 900.00 and stand behind their products.

The athlon cronus is on sale at Cabela’s right now for $1,000. It’s a great deal.

What they said, good deal at Cableas, or save a bit and get the ARES.

I have a mark 4 leupold 8.5-25x50 tmoa reticle i will sale ya for $900

curious , why a 30mm tube? Also is the illumination for hunting? I've never needed it for PRS.

If you prefer a simpler reticle, the SWFA 5-20 HD non-illuminated will likely be on sale brand new in the $1050-$1100 range on black Friday if the past is any indication. 30mm tube with plenty of adjustment, good turrets, made in Japan, awesome glass, and useful reticle. Can be had for around $900 used.

Other good used options: Gen 1 Razor, Bushnell ERS, Steiner T5xi

I personally wouldn't look at an Athlon or Leupold in this price range. Vortex, Bushnell, SWFA, Steiner are all superior options in my opinion. I love the SCR reticle and would probably give serious consideration to the T5Xi if I were in your position.

Edit: meant to say Athlon, not Ares

Last edited:
    We are currently running a special on all Athlon Optics including the Ares BTR Please give us a call to discuss what might work best for you

Thank you for your continued support.
    If there is anything else we can assist you with please let me know.
    Doug
    Camera Land
    720 Old Bethpage Rd
    Old Bethpage NY 11804
    516-217-1000
    Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

I personally wouldn't look at an Ares or Leupold in this price range. Vortex, Bushnell, SWFA, Steiner are all superior options in my opinion. I love the SCR reticle and would probably give serious consideration to the T5Xi if I were in your position.

Ares isn't in that price range, Cronus is and compares favorably with those three, in fact other than the Razor II I'd choose another cronus over them.

curious , why a 30mm tube? Also is the illumination for hunting? I've never needed it for PRS.

I have 30mm rings on the rifle, so there’s a possibility of reusing the existing rings and mount.
    One of the 300 yard targets at my in-laws range is back inside some trees so illumination helps in this instance. It’s not a “must have” or deal killer by any means.

Whats the story on the Burris tactical scopes ? I have heard some negative comments on the glass here on the ‘hide.

What about resale value on the athlon scopes ?

i am leaning towards a Vortex viper PST, are the Gen I’s that bad that the Gen II’s are that much of an improvement ?

I have 30mm rings on the rifle, so there’s a possibility of reusing the existing rings and mount.
    One of the 300 yard targets at my in-laws range is back inside some trees so illumination helps in this instance. It’s not a “must have” or deal killer by any means.

Whats the story on the Burris tactical scopes ? I have heard some negative comments on the glass here on the ‘hide.

What about resale value on the athlon scopes ?

i am leaning towards a Vortex viper PST, are the Gen I’s that bad that the Gen II’s are that much of an improvement ?

You'll see very mixed reports on XTR II glass. To my eyes, it was really bad. I couldn't believe how bad it was for a scope at about $1k. But others find it quite good, so the variation in opinions is hard to explain.

Resale on Athlon isn't great in my opinion, but I don't know that it's necessarily that much worse than other brands.

Gen 1 PST is a fine scope at current used prices for those who are upgrading to Gen 2. Ok glass, good tracking, good features, etc. But if you can afford it, the Gen 2 is an upgrade in every way. It has zero stop, better glass, better clarity throughout the mag range, better turrets, better illumination, etc.

Still, at $1200, I'd be looking at SWFA 5-20 HD, Razor Gen 1, Steiner T5xi, Bushnell ERS or DMR II, etc.

If you want to save a few bucks, it's worth considering the 3-15 PST Gen 2. That model looked really nice to me in store and it would probably be fine for the distances you'd be shooting a 6.5 creedmoor. Very, very good optical clarity and easy to get behind.

All good recommendations.

With XTR II, I prefer the 4-20x50 model to the higher power versions. Since you said you are looking for something with a simple mil-dot style reticle, Burris' G2B sould be very much up your alley.

As much as I like the new Athlon scopes and the PST Gen 2, I do not think those reticles qualify as "simple Mil-Dot type".

Aside from Burris, another scope that would indeed qualify as SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 with its MilQuad.reticle. Since we are on teh verge of Black Friday, there should see some impressive deals out there.

Lastly, is you see a used first Gen Sig Tango6 3-18x44, it is a very underrated design and the simple milling reticle they used is very unobtrusive, while providing good functionality.

ILya

Last edited:
    Cabelas still has the original Cronus on sales for $999, new; only for backorder and will probably be gone soon.

OK, so I'm checking out the Athlon website and I don't see any background as to their expertise in the sporting optics field. Where did they come from ?
    Is their "Lifetime Warranty" going to be worthwhile if they go Chapter 13 in two or ten years.
    I don't want to come off sounding like an ass, but I don't recognize the brand name like I do Vortex, S & B, US Optics, etc.
    The Cronus looks like a good scope but how does it stack up against a Viper PST Gen II ?

I'd suggest looking at the thread on this forum about the sale at Cabelas; there are some informative comments from folks that know this brand pretty well

It looks like Cabela’s has sold out of the Cronus $ 999.99 scopes. They’re listed as out of stock as of this afternoon.
    I read through the Alton thread and with the Cronus not at the $1k price, that pretty much kicks that scope out of consideration.
    im thinking that I’m down to the Ares or the Viper PST Gen II.
    Is there a Steiner that I should consider while I’m at it ?

It looks like Cabela’s has sold out of the Cronus $ 999.99 scopes. They’re listed as out of stock as of this afternoon.
    I read through the Alton thread and with the Cronus not at the $1k price, that pretty much kicks that scope out of consideration.

Are you interested in MOA or MIL? I have a PST II 5-25 EBR2c MOA that was mounted but never fired. I went with a Sig Tango6 that was on clearance instead. PST is basically NIB and asking $950 shipped.

Not surprised that they're sold out; appears several folks on this thread, including me, jumped on them before they were gone. You still have a few nice options available to you in the price range you're looking at. I'm not as familiar with the Ares but know the PST Gen ii is a solid option. Good luck!

If you want to stay around $1k, I'd still consider a used SWFA HD 5-20. They often come up for sale here on the forum for around $900-$1000, depending on whether it has illumination or not. Great scope for $. Built as well or better than some much, much more expensive scopes with the same glass quality and just a few less features for a significant discount. If you don't need illumination and are willing to take a discount to forego a zero stop, it's a great value.

I've had both. PST2 has zero stop, illumination, and a really nice reticle. SWFA has better glass, larger depth of field, better eye relief, and better overall build quality and reliability. Both have good turrets, pretty good eyebox (SWFA is a little better), and good overall designs.

Bottom line: the SWFA is a better scope. The PST2 is the more well-featured scope. Neither is a bad choice, but I would vote for the SWFA ahead the PST2 unless you really need zero stop, illumination, or a reticle with lots of hold points.

The non-illuminated SWFA is an obscenely good value, especially used where you can frequently find them around $900. My only complaint about the SWFA was the stiff focus knob on the display model. The knob on mine is good. But if yours is stiff, you can get a $30 gripper from Aadland to fix the issue.

I ordered an Athlon Ares 4.5-27X50 from Gr8fuldoug ( and Neil ) at NY Cameraland this afternoon. I wanted to get it in the UPS before the flood of Black Friday packages hit the shipping dock. I should have it by next weekend and get it mounted for a range trip the first weekend in December.
    Ya gotta love living in the south...

The Scope and sun shield got here this AM. The scope looks like it's going to be a pretty big improvement over what I have on the rifle now. I ordered a 20 MOA rail for the Savage LRP and I'll put the "Take Off" rail that's on the rifle now on the Savage 11 Trophy XP that I bought on Black Friday for my daughters to shoot deer with.
    Doug & Neil at Cameraland NY were great to work with and in spite of Athlons efforts, they got the scope in my hands before the weekend.