• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New shooter and poster.

LongshotIndiana

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
Indiana
Hi im new here and new to firearms. I recently purchased a Remington 700 Sps from 599 from my local gun store. I am wondering if you guys have any recommendations for some good optics in the price range of 200-300.00USD, also are there any bipods out there that are just as good as Harrison bipods but for a cheaper price?

thanks!

Re: New shooter and poster.

If you can bump your budget up a little there is the Falcon Menace for $385 new, you could likely even find one cheaper used. There is also a used Leupold maybe a Mark2 in that range. As to bipods, there are some chinese knock off of the Harris for under $50. Good luck and welcome to the 'hide.

What kind of shooting do you plan on doing? You also might get more help if you fill out your profile more completely

Dave

Welcome

Optics- Nikon Buckmasters line, sightron, Im sure there are many others which will be mentioned

Profile- Filled out

Nice- to see you here

Thanks guys, as for what type of shooting I have about 80 acres of land to fire on. I would say I have a clear area of about 800 yards to setup ( I know im not going to hit anything at that range for awhile haha). Also, other then optics what should I get to be completely prepared?

Scott,
You will need to figure out what scope you want. Then get rings and bases to fit it. The Falcon scope seem to have a good following here as well as Nikon Buckmaster. Which ever scope you get i'd recommend one with Mil-dot reticle.

SOTA

Sota, thanks for the reply! As I said I am a new shooter, I have shot rifles all my life but have never owed one sorry for my lack of knowledge :). As for getting optics, what is a reputable dealer online to buy from? Im a little leery on ordering things online....

Scott,
There a few places you can check out for scopes. Look up Triad here on the hide. Good guy to deal with and good prices. as for rings and bases i'd go with Seekins. Another good guy knows his stuff and will get you setup right.

SOTA

I would agree picking up stuff here in the hide would be your best bet. Although I have a Super Sniper from SWFA on my budget remmy 5R that has been great for the money and is still going strong. just my 2 cents

Letmeshootit

Scott,
Sorry, just thought about it. If your shooting to long distance you should get a 30mm scope tube. The Falcon Menace in 4-14x44mm FFP enhanced mildot with mil/mil adjustments will fit your needs well. After you get the scope call Seekins here on the hide and tell Glen what you got. He will be able to tell you what ring and base you will need.

SOTA

skip the bipod and shoot off bags first.
i wish i would have.

+1 on SS and falcon.
i regret selling my falcon 10x42, hell of a scope for the price.

Scott,
051F is right. Skip the bipod get a ruck sack. Shoot from that. As you shoot more you will learn what you need. If you ever shoot in a comp i'd get a variable power scope. A 4-14 works well. Make sure your reticle and turrets are the same" i.e. mil/mil or moa/moa". If you ever shoot a moving target you will see why i say shoot from a ruck.

SOTA

Hey guys, finally put some rounds down with my new 700 SPS! Shot great but being a new shooter my groups where rather bad at 200 yards. Im still hunting around for new optics just waiting for more funds hehe. I have a question though, I had a HELL of a time finding 308 rounds!!! A couple people I talked with at the shops I was in said it is due to Obama and his view on guns, some actually said I was lucky to snag a 700 Sps due to coming bans. My question is, are they REALLY going to band guns such as the remington 700? I mean it is a hunting rifle and I would hate to see that happen... also ill get pics of my setup as soon as I get my digital cam.