• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New shooter, few questions on my new M1A

Gasitman

Out of work pan handler
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2010
Washington
I just picked up a Springfield loaded M1a with a SS barrel and walnut stock. I am considering a Millett 4-16 lrs scope for it, GG&G bipod, and I am looking for a synthetic stock that I can put a cheek rest on that attaches with bolts through the stock. I do not want to spend $100's on a different stock. Any recommendations on those items I plan to purchase and where?

Re: New shooter, few questions on my new M1A

The DWP M1A M14 Cheek Rest is what I want, but I do not want to drill into my new stock. Where could I get a used synthetic stock with the buttplate and hardware?

Haha, picked up a shotgun news today after the gun show. Not one m14 stock out of over 500 vendors. I got to look through a millett, wow, was it hazy.

Someone told me today that the GG&G bipods will not just bolt onto a m14, you have to do some mods. Anyone know about this?

A Garand stock pack is basically the same thing.

You might want to visit a couple of other forums more dedicated to the M14. Try M14TFL.com, I do see USGI fiberglass stocks for sale fairly often.

The cheek riser you describe with bolt and nut sounds like a Karsten cheek rest. There are many other alternatives that can be used in the interim if you cannot find one right away.

The Versa-Pod Picatinny Rail which replaces the forward sling swivel and has a short rail will allow the GG&G bipod to be mounted. This can be purchased at MidwayUSA and easy to install.

A fairly inexpensive scope that may be interesting to you is the SWFA Super Sniper. These can be found here fairly often for sale. But there are many good alternatives as well.

Good scope mounts that can be found are by Sadlak, Smith Enterprise and ARMS. They are not cheap but are proven to work and often recommended.

Good Luck.

Tom O.

I'm happy with this set up. Cabela's lace on leather cheek piece, Super Sniper 3-9 on arms base and mounts. I can pull the scope and use the sights if needed.
[imgimg]