• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Site Read First Before Complaining

vbadmin

DO NOT USE
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2013
DO NOT CONTACT THIS ACCOUNT
Okay the new site is up and running in place of UBB. The old site is gone, it is not coming back, UBB has not updated their software since 2010 so we are finished with them.

The new site has a lot of changes, but understand as of right now, we are not finished implementing everything, nor is everything up and running correctly. We have to prioritize and address the issues one at a time.

The Thread sort order has been worked out, When we imported the data from UBB to vB it defaulted a lot of the site to a really weird place. vB cannot read UBB very well, the import alone took more than 24 hours, not to mention the work leading up to it.

The feature set with vBulletin is much more robust, however we have not turned everything on, nor is everything defaulting to where you left it.

User Name and Profiles

UBB used to use 2 Name, your User Name to log on, and your Display Name to post under. vBulletin only uses one, so it only brings over your USER NAME.

You can change your User Name now in your Profile, so it reads like your old Display Name. Then you'll just log on with that. Edit Profile under Forum Actions at the top there on the left.

Your Private Messages are probably turned off, so go into your account, and update your settings. There is an account settings at the top right where you logged in. Check your profile, and update it.

The rest we will continue to work on, it's a process, we can only do so much.

I will have them look at email notifications, but when I checked they were working. Some may not, but from what I personally see, they are working. We'll address it after.

There is much more to hard if you look first, and complain later, I get it you don;t like change, your wife told me the same thing. Get over it, we are not going back as UBB is not it.

We will have the Mobile side up and running, its there but off, it will come back on. As I said, one thing at a time, we turned the board back on early, we understand this, now you need to understand this, and either roll with it or walk.

In the end you'll see a much better experience

So how do I find my PM from 3 days ago? Don't exist. Nor do my recent posts. If I can find it won't let me edit. On mobile.

I think the move over is a great idea. I like this set up much better. Most of the complaints can be fixed on the settings page. Email notifications and PM's.

I lost some important pms with shipping addresses to people that paid me for stuff-even if they turn on their pm option this new site has less pm storage so they are all full. Just a FYI to let everyone know to clean out both the in and out box.

I also really enjoyed the old color-it was very easy on the eyes compared to this white. Just suggesting...

The new PM system appears to break down the messages as individual correspondences. The old system let you have it organized a little differently, almost like a sub topic. I understand the new system will take some getting used to. However, it seems like this will make keeping track of conversations between people or customers a lot more cumbersome. Is something that in the translation from UBB to the new system that didn't come across correctly, or will this be the new norm?

As stated, the change reverted my screen name (leagle) to my old login (jsandy) name. Problem is that I can not now login with the name (jsandy) that it was changed too. I was surfing around and found my last post from this morning so my old posts are there just with the diffrent screen name. I know I have the correct password.
I may have really screwed up though. Before I found this thread I re registered with a similar but different name as my old screen name (leagle77) I used my regular email addy and it told me it was already in use and offered to send me the password. It never sent it. I tried again to register as leagle77 and used a gmail addy I had. That got me in and I changed my screen name to "leagle" . I'm in now, with the same screen name but obviously my post count and join date are different and I can't get to my old PM. Can someone tell me how to log in as "jsandy", delete this duplicate account and hopefully I'll be able to change to "leagle". Thanks for any help.

As stated, the change reverted my screen name (leagle) to my old login (jsandy) name. Problem is that I can not now login with the name (jsandy) that it was changed too. I was surfing around and found my last post from this morning so my old posts are there just with the diffrent screen name. I know I have the correct password.
I may have really screwed up though. Before I found this thread I re registered with a similar but different name as my old screen name (leagle77) I used my regular email addy and it told me it was already in use and offered to send me the password. It never sent it. I tried again to register as leagle77 and used a gmail addy I had. That got me in and I changed my screen name to "leagle" . I'm in now, with the same screen name but obviously my post count and join date are different and I can't get to my old PM. Can someone tell me how to log in as "jsandy", delete this duplicate account and hopefully I'll be able to change to "leagle". Thanks for any help.

1st off, you should have known better than too make a New Account, that was never an acceptable way of doing things.

Second if you emailed me, I could have immediately got you into your old account, then you could have changed the USER name to your Old Display Name... but I guess you know better, so since making a multiple account was against the rules, I should just delete both right ?

Big Dog,

There is a inbox for PMs, just like an email account. It's pretty easy as there is a mark, read etc. Old stuff may not have carried over, but the new is much better.

The Tools in your profile and under your settings are much more robust, take the time to explore

Does anyone know if you have to erase all of your old pm conversations to receive or send new pm's?

I have a lot of good information saved in my pm's but it looks like I need to clear out a ton of them. On the old site it said I had about 80 pm's and now it says I have 749.

Frank, we are all a little frustrated tonight. For all I could tell I didn't have an account anymore. The point of re registering was to be able to contact you. Once I got on I saw another thread that mentioned that he emailed you through "Contact us". I've been here 7 years and had never seen that before. Anytime I every contacted a mod it was through PM. I did email you through "contact us" shortly before posting here but by then the damage was done.

There is a inbox for PMs, just like an email account. It's pretty easy as there is a mark, read etc. Old stuff may not have carried over, but the new is much better.

My only gripe right now is that my recent PM's are gone. I had two purchases in progress via PM, both of which are now absent. Is this a temporary thing, or are these PM's gone forever?

Other than that, I already see a whole slew of things that will make this forum more enjoyable. My favorite so far is the fact that threads which I've responded to are now marked as such. Makes it much easier to tell which threads I need to keep up on.

ETA: Glad to see the site is back online. My Mineral Processing class goes awfully slow without being able to surf the 'Hide.

Last edited:
I made at least two posts to back up your Private Messages, we could not guarantee everything would transfer over, as it was I was happy with the amount data we saved.

Another reminder, go to the top and into your Settings and set your General Settings. The change from UBB defaulted a lot of your stuff off, so you want to start there.

Specifically look at your linear settings and make sure your oldest post is selected, so the newest one is last.

Saying its a huge pain in the ass upgrading something like this is an understatement.

Thank you though for bringing the site up to date with features that I'm already use to on other forums.

What about editing a title? I tried to edit a thread I started in FS section, but the original title remains. Pretty significant since before the upgrade, I changed it to "Deal Pending", now I'd like it to not display that. However, I can not edit this out.

To hell with those complaining, i'm just glad the Hides up and running again. I was starting to act like a herroine addict going through withdrawls. It got ugly, I actually worked at work. Thanks Lowlight and all you who make this a top notch site.

Site looks great fellas thanks for the hard work that went into doing the conversion. There is still one sub-forum that is putting threads in the wrong order. That is the rim fire section.

Thanks again.

love how vbadmin says either roll with it or walk. I think the new site is definately a fixing what isn't broken situation sounds like somebody got in a pissing match with whoever the UBB people were. But hey roll with it or walk, who gives a fuck what the people who use this site like

Change in always hard, but necessary with computer systems. Thanks for all your hard work behind the scene. Your efforts are much appreciated. Let's all be patient.

Fixed the rimfire section so it should display correctly.

Semi-auto forum does not display last post descending.

Would be nice if we could turn the right column off again.

Thanks for the hard work.

LL- I like that you have more options with the PMs. What I'm asking is will the new PM system eventually have history in each message? You mentioned it would be like email. If I send you an email, and you reply to it, I see both what you said and what you replied to, my original message. With the way my inbox looks now; if someone asks me for a quote, I ask a few questions, they answer, and I send a quote. I now have at the very least 4 separate Correspondences to keep track of instead of one email that the customer and I replied to. Hoping the question makes sense.

I can't change the pm system, if you find a way to make VBulletin PMs look the way you want let me know, we can see about adding it, but that is the system. We don't write the software we only use it.

Is there a way to select watched forum topics or watched users in a similar vein to before ?

LL- I like that you have more options with the PMs. What I'm asking is will the new PM system eventually have history in each message? You mentioned it would be like email. If I send you an email, and you reply to it, I see both what you said and what you replied to, my original message. With the way my inbox looks now; if someone asks me for a quote, I ask a few questions, they answer, and I send a quote. I now have at the very least 4 separate Correspondences to keep track of instead of one email that the customer and I replied to. Hoping the question makes sense.

I too can't make heads nor tails of the PM system right now. It's like OSUArchitect says above, as well as in his other post in this thread. Am I missing some tutorial somewhere, because I've been trying to figure out the new setup for a while, & am at least as lost as when I started.
And speaking of lost, I've ZERO idea what's still in my PM box & what isn't, anymore. Though I can say that given that I had several transactions going, such could represent a Big loss, fiscally.

Also, for whatever odd reason(s), there are PMs in both my in & out boxes, which I deleted anywhere from days, to years ago. Enough of said type of old PM's that they literally number well into the 4-digit range.
And franly, not being able to read both sides of a PM conversation at once is hellish at best. If decipherable at all. Heaven help you (& or me) if you have 5+ conversations going on at once. Such are now impossible to keep up with & track of. It just don't work, period.

I know that this is a free site & all, but I for one, would surely pay a small user fee to make the PM system viable again. I hate to come off as whining, but this new system ain't easy to navigate around with. And I had NO Idea that things would change anywhere near this much. I surely didn't get such an impression from the heads up messages posted prior to the change over. And yeah, I too, ain't a fan at all of the new color scheme neither.

Last edited:
My PMs went from a just few to over 200. And when I look at my posts they are not my posts. Hmmmm...... Hoping this will get sorted, as I am not the only one.

I can't change the pm system, if you find a way to make VBulletin PMs look the way you want let me know, we can see about adding it, but that is the system. We don't write the software we only use it.

Can it be set up like the old pm system? I can get use to the new layout but unless the PM system can be made to work like the old one I'm gonna not accept them and go to emails only.

How do people search for posts on my products. I used to be able to search "XLR" and find current topics on my products. Now the search kicks "XLR" out because it is only 3 letters. Can this be changed in ADMIN settings or are people screwed who are trying to find info on my stuff? For instance, if you search "XLR chassis stock" it only shows "chassis stock" which does me no good. Even if I can change my personal settings how are people that are new to the site going to find it?

-Kyle ~ XLR

Last edited:
Kyle,

Try using "XLR chassis" to get the search engine to look for the entire string exactly as entered, not for distinct words.

The three-character search term limit is fairly common on various forums (not just ones using vBulletin), and yes it does cause some problems, especially when some things common to a particular community are routinely abbreviated or otherwise have short names i.e. 'TAC' (Ramshot TAC), 'OCW', 'OBT', etc. I don't know if its easily changeable by the admins or not.

Monte

vbAdmin, Lowlight,

I'll just throw in my $0.02 worth here... while I do appreciate the problems people are having given that their cheese has been moved, so to speak... I for one am in favor of the change. vBulletin is actively maintained and widely used, and for me personally the best part is that I can select the forum email notifications to something other than 'off' or 'instant'... for those long-running and/or very active threads I no longer have to get 20 freakin' emails per day with every 'me too' or 'tag' post because some folks are too slow to figure out how to properly subscribe to a topic... ;)

Thanks for all the hard work,

Monte

The search engine stalled out with everyone using it, the search will be done over, the site has to index the posts... So once we get that sorted and back running the search should work fine.

The Vendors will have a their own colors and threads, one thing at a time, how about giving me a break. Not even 24 hours and you're worried about yourselves.

As I have noted, several times, we opened up the board before we finished all the work. The old UBB Board didn't just appear like that, it was 10 years of constant work, this hasn;t been online for 24 hours and you'll being a bunch of bitches.

Yes as we identify issues we are addressing them, as we identify things we want changed, we will work to improve them.

The commercial sales guys will get colors back, that is already there, but I have to adjust the way it identifies you as primary or secondary.

If you look at the bottom of the board there is a blank vendor section, you'll get your section just like I said.

I'm use to vBulletin, so the change is welcome. Will Taptalk eventually be turned on? Not sure if that's what you meant by the mobile site...

LL I was just getting ready to send you a link to that plugin. Also not sure if its something you just changed but in the PM window there is a "View History" button that will show the conversational history of the PMs. Not the greatest solution but it definitely gives the functionality most probably want.

Well that plug in was not working and it may have throw in a crack in the board.

I went to install it, all seemed well but it was hanging up the site pretty bad and not it appears to continue to hang.

I may have to have them fix it

I just had an error connecting, but fixed it by removing everything in the link after the.com. In case someone else has the same issue.

BTW Tapatalk has the ability to moderate with the mobile app. I use it with another vBulletin site I moderate on.... Makes for quick and easy navigation on a mobile device.

Well that plug in was not working and it may have throw in a crack in the board.

I went to install it, all seemed well but it was hanging up the site pretty bad and not it appears to continue to hang.

I may have to have them fix it

LL, thanks for trying with the PMs.

Regardless, if there is something you can do at the administrative end to organize the PM inbox better, will each individual message and reply still count as separate messages and applicable toward the 100 quota?

No idea why your post count was reduced, maybe because I pruned a bunch of threads and it removes them ? I honestly don't know ?

Tried getting the plug in to fix the Private Messages 3x today, crashed the server every time we tried so no go on that for now unless we can get someone to rewrite the script to work better.

We have way too many private messages, and frankly you all are spoiled to have so many. The Board defaults to 50 and most only give about 100, so the numbers you have are part of the problem. It can't handle that many in time before the server crashes.

Hard crashes too, not just little hiccups.

Moving forward we'll continue to work on things, like I said, the old forum didn't happen overnight it was 11 years worth of upgrades

My new pm's are keeping a string/thread of the conversation just likeAll the other vBulletin forums: success!

Looks like just the transfered ones are a bit scrambled. Not bad for such a large data transfer, imo.

Also, I really appreciate your efforts to get us back online here quickly. I had a pending sales transaction and was really helped by being able to pm again.

I'm just wondering if you are planning on transferring over the color scheme of the old forum... Obviously its understandable that it is not the first priority. I think the old color scheme was much easier on the eyes and important stuff was easier to discern from the background noise.

Why when you click on a thread it takes you to the first page not the last post like it use to?

No, the old color scheme will not transfer over, nothing UBB is compatible with vB which is why we were almost 60 days behind schedule, it just doesn't work.

We are gonna make a darker one for this, but that is gonna be a bit, though it is on the list to get done. Personally I think this one reads fine. We darkened the white to gray, but we plan on a dark scheme

Why when you click on a thread it takes you to the first page not the last post like it use to?

You have to pay attention and follow instructions

In your Profile under General Settings you can change that, you want it to say Linear Oldest First ... try to keep out we are spelling this out for everyone best we can't but if you can't comprehend what we are saying we can't help you.

My postcount also went down. To 33 no less :eek:
Postcounts don't really mean anything. Better say something useful and have about 350 posts since 2003 than have a 1000+ after one month ;)
But, being below 100 now would ban me from posting in the Marketplace if the 100posts rule still applies.
If possible, when everything is up and running, I'd like to get a hall pass for the marketplace.

The Forum is looking good by the way. Thanks for providing us a place to hang out.

Cheers, Nick