• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New SPS for my collection - thoughts on upgrades?

300snipe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2009
Northern Nevada, NV
Hi all,

Just picked up this stick from the shop today. Rem SPS 700 varmint heavy barrel. I mounted one of my Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 scopes and, well, that's about it. It's running a 20MOA base.

6i9i5.jpg

vEmfF.jpg

It's nothing special right now but I'm wondering if the following would be proper for sequence of upgrades:

1. Aftermarket trigger or is the adjustable stock one good enough for now? I like 2-3lb pulls. I have not owned a rifle with this trigger before so I'm not versed in it's options / potential.
2. CDI detachable box mag (will this fit without a lot of hassle?)
3. muzzle brake, have my eye on the "JP Enterprises Bennie Cooley", haven't researched this option much so please advise.
4. obviously a new stock, going with an A5 when funds appear.

Then to a quick ammo question (have searched but didn't find an answer): how does the winchester NATO 308 (military overrun) compare to the
Prvi Partizan brand?

thanks!

Re: New SPS for my collection - thoughts on upgrades?

I have ran bulk prvi in my sps-v as expected not so good, shot some lake city match 173gr did ok just under moa at 100. mine rocks shop with a 168gr smk and 44.5 gr varget. did sub moa at 600yds, and thats with a cheap $100 vortex from swfa. soon to be up graded to a SS 16x. mines in a B&C A2 stock (cuz that factory one sucks ass). factory trigger adjusted down to good enough, my advice is put a decent stock on it and shoot the hell out of it. and keep drinking protein, lots and lots of protein. thats the biggest thing of muscle milk I've ever seen

Just ordered a PTG fluted bolt with sako extractor for this gun... wait time: shop will have it ready in JANUARY! Damn long wait. Opted for the fluted steel firing pin as well.

I have heard good things about the Prvi Match ammo...make sure you get the match though.

Ive run the prvi match from two separate batches and was not pleased w/ the results thought it was my rifle
but my buddies rifle had similar results .

Just got back from sighting it in. Used a laser bore-sighter first and then put some unknown whitebox through it. Moved to American Eagle FMJ-BT and got a nice set of three in a triad shape with two .50-.75" floaters to the right for a group of five (circled in red in the target image).

I'll head to the formal range this weekend and see what it does with some FGMM as well as some Prvi match that I picked up. So far I'm pleased with this factory barrel - grouping as it is with the american eagle... hopefully it proves to consistently shoot .5 MOA or better with match ammo.

Here's the target from the whole sighting in process. Circle is from the last set of five.
ETDmY.jpg

4BCxH.jpg

That's a cool picture minus the rest. You should come down to ncpprc for a practice or match.

So I'm going to be sending the CDI box mag back to Midway as an AICS 1.5 stock in full black is now on order and should be here on Monday, so that should be fun.

Slowandsteady, I might just do that - one of my friends lives in Folsom and shoots at sacvalley all the time so he and I might show up one day. When is the next big event that I should be sure not to miss?

I'm thinking about getting the same scope. How do you like it?

Wow, from saving for a A5 to buying a AICS in 4 days... not bad :p

HerinCS - I love the Zeiss. It's clear out to 1000yd and always holds zero perfectly. No complaints.

So here are some pics of the new stock. Standard AICS... I've got some other things on order so I'll post those as they come in. Trying to decide between the Timney and Jewel triggers - I hear the jewel needs to be cleaned more often - true?

Fixed the pics..
zYqMb.jpg

g1PVJ.jpg

AbaVT.jpg

I shot with the Zeiss w/ a deuplex reticle in it for about 1.5 years. The scope was good, I would have liked a bit more internal travel though, espetialy w/ a non-canted base.

What reticule does your have?

btw, I went to the range last weekend and tested the Prvi Match ammo, Black Hills Match, Hornady Superformance SST, American Eagle, and some white box and the Prvi Match grouped the best out of all of them. Lucky me since it's the cheapest of them all. It even had less drop over distance when compared to the Black Hills at 600 yards by about 4MOA clicks.

If you can't find Prvi at Midwayusa it's because I ordered all of it
smile.gif

How do you like your aics? I'm thinking of getting one for my sps tactical soon.

As for NCPPRC they have a website I'd recommend to join www.ncpprc.com

They have the 1k match the first Sunday of every month. I would drive down Friday morning, hit the steel range with your friend. Shoot the practice on Saturday, then do the match on sunday. You would get a lot of shooting in and have a good time.

That's a great idea. I know my settings are different since I shoot at 5500' up in Reno so running the practice would be important to dial back.

Eberlestock halftrack and Triad stock-pack came in today. For those interested, the CDI version of the AI magazines are not as good as the actual AI brand mags. Most are good enough but one that came (of three) from midway doesn't even fit in the magwell.

OILhG.jpg

nlHGz.jpg

I'd say get good dope then shoot the steel match. It's fun and challenging. They do those on even numbered months. You can find more info out on their forum.

-slow

broke down and went for a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 with NP-R1 reticle. I was about to get the zero stop version with quick adjust but the shop didn't have it in a 32x, only 22x - oh well. So it's mounted with Leupold MK4 steel rings on the same 20MOA base. Figured I'd get the angle indicator while I was at it.

Having an issue with the mono pod though - it's mounted to a drilled/tapped sling stud that's seated in the aluminum on the rear frame, but however I mess with it there's not enough play to get it to sit all the way flat. I've tried it with some other hunting rifles and it does the same thing so I know it's not a bad sling stud. Anyone have this issue and figure out what to do to make it sit flat?

Pics
wide shot
4CyVt.jpg

monopod issue closeup
FadkD.jpg

scope closeup
KMPME.jpg

Fixed the accupod issue by removing the sling stud and spacing it out with a washer and a lockring - the accupod on the AICS needs to be about 1/8" longer than a normal sling stud.

Good question. I didn't know they made one specifically for the AICS. They don't have a picture of one mounted, do you have an example because I don't see how it fits to the stock with the pic of just the monopod on their site.

As it is now the monopod is generally too tall for everything but 1000yd targets, perhaps the one that's specifically made for the AICS is shorter.

It fits into the hole that is located on the forward side of the hook.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Retoocs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It fits into the hole that is located on the forward side of the hook. </div></div>

Ahhh... Yes. Anyone want to buy the sling stud version for cheap? PM me.

just picked up the same rifle. anyone else's bolt knob come close enough to their scope when cycling that their hand hits it? my thumb touches my scope and my scope is pretty high up. the bolt arm seems to need more of an angle

I have the same gun. THe bolt handle almost hits my scope (Millet TRS-1), I have to use my fingertips so my hand wont hit. I don't mind though.

It's not a bolt handle issue.
They have been made just like that for over 40 years.
It is an ocular bell issue.

^yeah that's what i figured... just curious if it bothered others or if someone had an easy mod or something. it's one of those things that I would prefer changed, but don't really care enough to invest much; i'll get used to it

44.0 grains of Varget behind a 168 SMK seated twenty thousandths off the lands will shoot in the 3's in my SPS with boring regularity. Get someone to load you some and see what happens...

Might be trading the monopod for some SMK's in 168 here soon enough so we'll see about those groups
laugh.gif

nice rifle! 42-44 grains of Varget with a 175 shoots well also...

most factory Remington chambers shoot the best .020"-.035" of the lands...

also try the 178 A-Max if you can find them

ordered some 175gr prvi match. the 168 match groups pretty well for factory ammo on this barrel so we'll see how the 175 does at longer ranges. the 168 was blowing in the wind more than I wanted but as much as expected.

handloading... I'll start this winter and get into that whole new world.
laugh.gif

Mine shot 168 AMAX better than 168 BTHP hornady with 45.5 Varget in Win brass and Win primer.They were loaded to mag length.

Very nice rifle 300... Thats the exact one I want to build, mine will be left handed though. I like that you put AICS on it, I was gonna do the A5 thing as well, but now that I saw yours in the AICS, I think I will go that way as well. Keep us posted on future upgrades.

Check fire on the 44.5 varget it was 45.5 in win brass ,win primer,loaded to box mag length.

Update: rainy and crappy weather this weekend so I got out out the paint.

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] take skins off of AICS[*] spray base coat color, let dry for 1.5hrs[*] setup pattern block[*] spray second color over pattern and tape, covering 100% [*] let dry and then peel off pattern with tweezers carefully - so as not to take off paint underneath [*] spray third color and repeat the same process for any other colors/patterns[*] I finished up by spraying three coats of Matte Clear Coat with 1.5 hours of drying in between coats. [*] I'm letting the final coat dry overnight - two hours after the last clear coat I can see a finger print if I push hard enough so I'll wait until tomorrow to assemble the gun. [/list]

Pics, the color temperature id off a bit - camera sucks and I don't feel like photoshopping right now:
5Q3bm.jpg

HXWlL.jpg

What do you think? Good pattern?

Do you use a self etching primer on the stock to get it to secure propertly? Paint acrylic or something else?

Honey Do List
(Goes with Image 1 from 10-15-10 @ 3:45 in this thread.
meant to be funny
1. Put away butter
2. Put Nightcrawler tub lid back on and in the basement
3. Buy more red hot sauce and paper towels
4. Please find the knives havent seen them for days
5. Put decorative wine topper back on wind bottle.