• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New steel target (pics!) A couple questions...

srv656s

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2005
KC, MO
IMG_7128.jpg

I received my new AR500 steel target from Bobcat steel yesterday. I was pretty surprised that it came without a box or any real packaging, then realized that would be silly since it's a huge tough piece of steel and that the other packages were the ones in danger around this thing.

The address label was taped to it with a bunch of packing tape, and the tape didn’t come off cleanly leaving a bunch of sticky glue on the target. You can see the grass clippings from the yard sticking to the glue in the pics.

So now the questions:
1. How should I clean this up? I want to get as much of the glue and surface rust off before painting it.
2. Any ideas on how to mount this? I want some kind of easily transportable mount that I can throw in my trunk. I have a bunch of 2x4’s, but not sure if those will hold it well, or stand up to punishment if I miss the target and hit the wood.

A few additional pics:
IMG_7129.jpg

IMG_7130.jpg

Bobcat steel's contact info:
[email protected]
www.bobcatsteel.com

Thanks

Shawn

Re: New steel target (pics!) A couple questions...

i would build a stand and hing it with chain.

I wouldnt worry about the rust, just throw some paint on it.

use a razor and some alcohol or acetone. but really since you are going to shoot it, just spray paint it. maybe run a sander across it or a wire wheel. look on here, there are a few guys that built them with lumber, one guy used those shepards hooks that you use in the garden, but he didnt have that big of a target. you can use rebar. its cheap and you can get it free from any construction site ... just go late at night, lol-j/k. and it depends where you are gonna set it up. do you want portable or is it at home where you can leave it up? best thing i saw was a guy that had one hanging from an old swingset. i heard guys say use seatbelts or old firehose. it wont snap like a chain when you hit it. look at some of the other stands that you see in the catalogs for some ideas on design. should be as easy or complicated as you dare

Sandblast will take care of it all, but more work than I think you want to do.

I 'would' suggest welding something onto the back to mount a 4x4 or 2x4 to hold it up, however i'm sure that'll remove the characteristics of the hardness of the steel by introducing stresses from uneven heating.

At the very least Shawn, I know that we can get chains or straps with hooks to put through those holes, and then attach them to t-posts out there at our shooting area. The only problem, I know that steel is heavier than mine, and i'm not sure we can get the posts in the levee out there deep enough to hold it well. I know that there is only about 6" topsoil, and then gravel and rock underneath that.

So now that you have your target, when are we going out to shoot it? Would like to see how it holds up to big boy toys.

Branden

I think it was boltripper that made some bases out of 2x4s and put two more on top about an inch apart. The steel just set in between in the gap. That souls be the easiest.

If you find yourself down around the lake, bring some steel angle iron, rebar, pipe, etc and we can weld up a stand.

I would recommend shot blasting it to clean it, #8 shot at about 15 yds, should work, about 6 shots should do each side.

I would shoot at it to clean it.
The two holes at the top would be a great place to place 2 bolts and chain to hang it from....

when i first read the title i thought it said "new street legal target" lol. but if you have any burlap around just use it to clean off the surface rust it works well before painting, but remember to sweep it off after doing it.

the paint will stick to the tape residue. walmart sells white for $0.97 a can. dont be buying krylon, your just going to blast it anyway. buy $5 worth of paint, hang it up and spray it and then grab your rifle and spray it some more. really, its just a target, you dont need to worry about the finish or surface prep

I agree. Shoot the glue off.

You want to hang it with strips of used/discarded firehose you can get from any fire company. They have to throw it out when it doesn't pass inspection. Everybody knows a fireman, and any fireman can get this for free.

It's the toughest stuff on earth and one of the really great tricks I ever got right here on the hide. The first pieces you put on there will last YEARS.

--Fargo007

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">Ryan at Big Dog Steel sells a really good stand that is portable and easy to set up. I have one and it works really well. It comes with the chains I believe.

Bob </span> </span>

I make a swingset assembly that works great for hanging targets.
I have it on my website.
Thanks
Kurt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you find yourself down around the lake, bring some steel angle iron, rebar, pipe, etc and we can weld up a stand. </div></div>

You don't even need to bother welding...The pic below is of a set belonging to Xphunter and appeared on another forum

tartgetframe.jpg

Although he's using rebar, you could easily use pipe. The T Pieces are standard brass plumbing fittings and are a loose fit meaning the frame is easy to take to put up and take down, and also allows for easy running repairs.

The second pic is one Montana Marine posted, and looks free standing.

targetframe2.jpg

Again its made from rebar simply slotted together, but I don't recall what he is using for the "joints"

I've just bought some 3/4" rebar to replace the temp stand I had knocked up out of wood...

To make the joins, I'm going to use small 1" hose clamps like below:

Small-Hose-Clamp.jpg

I think a couple of these linked to together (like chain links) and with the rebar threaded through will act as the "joints". Obviously not bullet proof, but cheap and easy to replace if (or when!) they take a hit...

Regards,

Peter

On the back of the target weld a piece of tube on the back of it. Up and Down. Put a top on the tube. Go to a store that sells agriculture products and buy yourself a T-post. Used for fencing. You can now take your target and one fence post to the range that you use and drive your t-post with the weight of you target. I have my three 18x24 3/4 plates set up this way. It seems to be best to cut the post down so that you can drive it clear in the ground so that the bottom of the target touches the ground to keep the target from moving. If you want it to stand up high then you will have to buy a piece of tubing that just fits the triange shape of the t-post so it will not turn in circles. This works like a chanp.
T

By the way, Just paint the hell out of it with cheap white paint. You are going to shoot it. I Paint mine three or four times every time I shoot. The paint must be three inches thick by now.

Use a 2" x 2" angle bolted to the back of the plate. Drill holes to bolt the chain or weld "S" hooks to angle to hook the chain to. Make the stand from rebar like a mini swing set using 3/16" cable to limit how far the legs can be apart.
Don't worry worry about the tape residue its a target. Paint it and shoot he hell out of it.