• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Summit showing promise.

ST42

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
WA
My barrel and action were delivered the other day from LRI after they Cerakoted it for me. It is a Stainless steel Summit receiver and it is sporting a stainless 20" Kidd barrel. I am thinking that this rifle will really start to show some promise once I get a better trigger on it. Right now the trigger is pulling a heavy 3.8#'s. I am really like the toggle action on these rifles, I find so much easier to feel and empty mag on it vs. a standard bolt action. I may have found a new NRL rifle for this season. Target is at 50 yards, 10 rounds per dot, and all suppressed.

VI8ddlB.jpg

3YSZ7pz.jpg

QD1XVkw.jpg

Were your foulers the same ammo as the dot above each group? I would expect that not to matter too much, as long as it was all Lapua or SK ammo, since they use the same lube. Just curious.

As for the suppressor, I'd suggest leaving it off if you intend to use it for PRS type matches, you'll have to have ear pro anyway since most folks probably won't be running suppressors, no reason to get it dirty just because. Completely up to you though, unless the match rules stipulate if a suppressor can be used...or is required?

Looks like a good set up. If you can't get the trigger adjusted to your liking, you might want to look at a Kidd trigger, can get them in either single stage or two stage, with several different pull weights.

Good luck with it, and look forward to hearing more about it as you go along. :cool:

The Summits definitely have potential. I have two. Both are PWS. One is a VQ 17hm2 and other is KIDD 22lr. Can't tell you group's but both are battle proven on the ground squirrel fields and kill consistently out to 175-200 yards.

Reactions: ST42 and obx22
@Cowpokey
Yes, I shot 10 rounds of each as a fouler, and then 10 for group. As for the trigger, my brother gave me two Kidds, both are 2 stage, which I prefer, but he messed with both of them. They feel horrible which is definitely not right. I'll need to do some adjusting / examination of them to try and figure out why they are like that.

Very nice!

Did you run into any fitment issues with the Bravo?
TIA
Dave

@DaveCo
No issues. I had thoughts of adding a rear tang to the Summit to take advantage of the rear hold down screw that is in the Bravo for Kidd actions. As it turns out the Bravo comes with a shims / washers that allow you to fit it in with the trigger housing. Mine locked up tight and I get zero flex in it. I feel a rear hold down would be perfect, but not having a mill to work on the action, I'll let that go for the time being.

@DaveCo
No issues. I had thoughts of adding a rear tang to the Summit to take advantage of the rear hold down screw that is in the Bravo for Kidd actions. As it turns out the Bravo comes with a shims / washers that allow you to fit it in with the trigger housing. Mine locked up tight and I get zero flex in it. I feel a rear hold down would be perfect, but not having a mill to work on the action, I'll let that go for the time being.
Thanks for the response.

I've been thinking about putting a very similar setup together for NRL. Good luck with it, and report back as you proceed please.

Dave

Reactions: ST42
Took the Summit out today to see if my DIY trigger work helped with grouping. I think it has, but it is still Very course. I'm shooting my first NRL22 match next Saturday, so I decided to try some Wolf Match and I stretched the rifle out to 100 yards.
I definitely need a better trigger, and I'll most likely be placing an order with Kidd soon.
Here are my 10 round Wolf groups at 50 yards, which is my zero.
yxVmqtR.jpg

I then took it out to 100 yards and everything fell to shit. As my groups were all over the place. Really had very little wind and it was just horrible. I had 10 rounds left to shoot so I used an impact from the prior rounds as my POA. This time I took a moment to think about my technique and I realized that me follow through was for shit. This pic shows the improvement. I used the impact at the case mouth as POA, hence the 11 impacts.
Rather cool day today, my dope is 2.2 mils from my 50 zero. Just wished I had brought more ammo along to verify if this will get the job done. I have Wednesday to try again. Target was actually hung horizontally and not vertically.
UQT3DiJ.jpg

Last 10 rounds.
SqkMICR.jpg

Reactions: Mark_Dorman
I purchased a VQ summit from a coworker last fall and have been testing it out this spring. Mine's wearing a VQ stainless barrel and Oryx chassis.

It likes Center X a lot with groups similar to yours at 50 yards. I also find that it really likes the cheap CCI SV ammo. It has virtually no POI change from the Center X with only a marginally larger group size. Since the majority of my rimfire shooting is on ground squirrels, either ammo works very well out to 150-200 yards.

This is my first real rimfire outside of my custom 10/22's and it's very addicting for accuracy.