• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Timney Calvin Elite Remington Model 700 Trigger?

HumbleEinstein

Minuteman
Sep 17, 2013
Virginia
Does anyone know anything about the new Timney Calvin Elite Remington 700 triggers? There is almost no info about it online. Not even one review. The info on their website is the only thing available about it on the internet and it's been copied and pasted a few times. I wonder what kind of testing has been done it? Is it externally adjustable? How intuitive are the adjustments? Where is the bolt release? How does the break feel? And so on...

It seems like it might be a great alternative to the Jewel but much more info is needed.

Product Line

Tom Gresham of gun talk talked about it a few weeks ago. Supposed to be really nice.

I just listened to the audio. The only thing they said about the trigger is that it exists. Something isn't right when you're interested in a product that has already launched and can't find anything about it.

Timney, please send me the trigger and I'll let everyone know about. Thank you.

I don't think it has been "released" to the public yet. Seems like they said around March or so. I may be wrong as ha have the sometimers disease.

Hmmmm. I'll have to look into that point. I thought I saw it listed in a couple places as in stock and ready ship.

From the Timney Website:

About the Elite Series:

For the discriminating shooter, demanding the utmost performance from their trigger, Timney has created a new line of triggers designed to be robust and yet delicate enough to be set with a pull weight as low as 8 ounces. An engineering accomplishment, the Calvin Elite series of Timney Triggers feature wear components that are made from A2 tool steel, heat-treated to Rockwell 58 and Teflon-nickel coatings. Sears are wire EDM cut and triggers are CNC machine using state-of-the-art robotics. The lightweight 6061-T6 aluminum housings are CNC machined and anodized Timney Elite Gold.

The Calvin Elite Series of triggers are named for Calvin Motley, Timney’s design genius, who is responsible for such award-winning triggers as the Timney AR drop-in trigger, Remington 700 with unique trigger blocking safety and loads of other critically acclaimed replacement triggers.

Self-contained drop in trigger.
Lightweight 6061-T6 CNC Machined aluminum housing with Wire EDM cut, Heat treated Tool steel trigger and sears.
Featuring a double sear design.
Timney Golden Elite colored housing.
Two position, trigger blocking side safety.
Fully adjustable Sear Engagement, Over-travel, and pull weight from 8oz.-2.5lbs.
Available in blue(black) and Nickel Plated.
Teflon nickel coated Sears to guarantee a lifetime of reliable service.

Last edited:
I don't know if they are shipping them as of now, but you can add one to the shopping cart and buy it right now on the Timney site.

How wide is the trigger blade? Wider than the Jewell I hope.

Like I said, it had the same feel as a Jewell.. I didn't have a set of calipers with me to take measurements of the shoe.. It was extremely busy at the Timney booth and I only dry fired the rifle that the trigger was installed in 3 or 4 times on Jan 15th.. I just remember thinking "Damn, this is pretty much the same as a Jewell, if the price is right I will be buying some in the future, then I placed the rifle back on the rack, grabbed a price sheet and walked away to the next vendor on my list.."

They're pretty nice, and they are shipping. The trigger is 1/4" wide.

This trigger might have some steam behind it. Jewell could use some competition.

An engineering accomplishment, the Calvin Elite series of Timney Triggers feature wear components that are made from A2 tool steel, heat-treated to Rockwell 58 and Teflon-nickel coatings. Sears are wire EDM cut and triggers are CNC machine using state-of-the-art robotics.

Yawn.....they consider all that an engineering accomplishment?

The biggest question for me is: Does it have a short sear like the standard 510 or a sear length like that of a 510-U?

The biggest question for me is: Does it have a short sear like the standard 510 or a sear length like that of a 510-U?

I was wondering the same thing. I wonder if the long sear from a 510-U will swap into this trigger.

Neither. The sear is a complete re-design. It's 2-piece

You missed my point. I assumed it was a multi lever trigger like a Jewell to get the low let offs. What my question is is will the sear hold the cocking piece in the same relative position as a Remington trigger or will it be shorter as in the 510 trigger and shorten the pin fall.

You missed my point. I assumed it was a multi lever trigger like a Jewell to get the low let offs. What my question is is will the sear hold the cocking piece in the same relative position as a Remington trigger or will it be shorter as in the 510 trigger and shorten the pin fall.
I am curious as this as well and I will be calling them about this as I like the "U" set up in their triggers to find out

Yawn.....they consider all that an engineering accomplishment?

I agree. The hard information available on the trigger doesn't match the over the moon rhetoric the company is putting forward. Since I couldn't find any information that would justify buying an untested trigger, I just ended up buying a Jewell. It's too bad. I wish they had done a better job with this role out, so I could have made a more informed choice based on a side by side comparison.

I'm sitting at timney right now. The trigger is pretty awesome. It's width is in between the timney tacticals and a jewell. They come set at 8oz and they will fit any 700 clone. No "U" designation for defiance, stiller, etc. It will hold the firing pin in the same position as a factory Remington trigger

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Update, I was told at the front desk that the trigger would fit defiance stiller etc, but I went and toured the facility and started talking to the guys assembling the triggers and tuning them and they said they're making a longer sear model that will be finished in 2 weeks or so for the 700 clones.

I'm sitting at timney right now. The trigger is pretty awesome. It's width is in between the timney tacticals and a jewell. They come set at 8oz and they will fit any 700 clone. No "U" designation for defiance, stiller, etc. It will hold the firing pin in the same position as a factory Remington trigger

Update, I was told at the front desk that the trigger would fit defiance stiller etc, but I went and toured the facility and started talking to the guys assembling the triggers and tuning them and they said they're making a longer sear model that will be finished in 2 weeks or so for the 700 clones.

Seems like they have some conflicting information. The U sear models have the equivalent pin fall as a factory Remington which possibly means the Elite model available now will have less effective pin fall than a Remington or Jewell. Most all clones (with very few exceptions, a run of Lawton 7000's comes to mind) have the trigger pin holes in the same location as a Remington so I don't know why this has persisted that everyone with a clone needs a special longer sear and a factory Remington should use the short sear. If you want to stay with the Remington designed pin fall and use a Timney trigger you should use a U length sear regardless of factory or clone. IMO they should be done with it and sell only the U equivalent sear. I've said it before but the only advantage to a shorter sear is a nicer feeling bolt close (ie: less cock on close) with the accompanying reduction in pin fall.

Last edited:

This has my attention. I'll order one for my Stiller as soon as I see them available.

Just got it from Timney for a 7mm-08 build on a Remington action. It feels like a Jewell. My trigger gauge has it at about 7oz. I need to finish the stock work to complete the rifle and take it to the range. Its a build for my father so I'll see how the trigger holds up over the year. I recommend Jewell but he found the Timney Calvin Elite Nickel trigger. Never heard of it. The build quality of the trigger is excellent. But i'll see how it holds up over the year. The only thing I have a problem with is that you can't get it without the bolt release on the bottom. Thats fine for this R700 build but if I use it again on another action it might be a problem.

I just bought one without a bolt stop for my BAT action = they exist!!

Call and talk to Timney & they will hook you up with what you are looking for.

I just bought one without a bolt stop for my BAT action = they exist!!

Call and talk to Timney & they will hook you up with what you are looking for.

Thats awesome. I was worried about warranty if I took it off and damaged or lost it. Thats good news to hear you can call them and get it without bolt release. Here is some more information I l've found out playing around with it. The whole trigger pack feels lighter then a Jewell. Not that really matters. After playing with it for a while next to another build with a Jewell I like the actually trigger better in the Timney. It doesn't have any sharp edges.(Maybe because of the Nickel). When I buffed the trigger it looks amazing. Very shiny piece of silver. I think it looks cool. The other thing I noticed playing with the two triggers is that they both break the same. I think Jewell has some serious competition. Better trigger feel, breaks like glass, cheaper, and I dig the gold anodizing.

How is there still not a YouTube video detailing this trigger? Timney needs some young blood in the marketing department.

Ordered one and will let people know how it feels

Last edited:
I have one coming myself, I think everyone may be over thinking what the trigger is! My impression by the description and the lack of them pointing out any significant changes, although double sear design has me wondering what the hell that means, is that it will be a slightly more refined Timney with a lower adjustment range. Which I'm hoping for. Timney, design, reliability in dirty environments ... If I wanted a jewel I would have bought a jewel. A few of us have them coming in we can offer some feedback soon.

Last edited:
Great deal on the Timney line here. I just purchased the new Calvin Elite from Mark at OTM. So far it seems very nice. Shooting the Lone Star Challenge with it next weekend if anyone is gonna be there and want to check it out.

TRIGGERS

I ordered one from Red Hawk Rifles last week for my Rem 700 build and installed it earlier this week. It came from Timney adjusted to 8 oz by my scale (average of five pulls) and has a smooth pull and crisp break with almost no over travel or creep. The trigger shoe is not as wide as the standard Timney trigger on my son's rifle but is still comfortable for me. I was a little concerned about the 8 oz trigger pull for my first range trip with this rifle and adjusted it temporarily to 1 1/2 lbs. It functioned flawlessly today and I think I will drop the trigger down to 1lb for the next trip. I'm satisfied 100% with it so far and well worth the $179.00 I paid.

We had lots of triggers on hand at the range the other day hubers, jewells and the new calvin elite.

The calvin was the best feeling trigger of the bunch. I loved jewells but after going through half a dozen or so over the past 2 years I am ready for something else. I do believe i have found it in the calvin

call up Mark at OTM he has plenty ready to ship

On the Mark-Everything for the Marksman!

Purchased, and received one, the install was easy, I have only shot 60 rounds through the rifle with it in the gun, but so far I would have to say that they have a winner.

Is there any word on whether these are compatible with Defiance actions, or will they be producing a "U" version? I noticed in the compatible rifles section it referenced both the 510 and 510U.

Is there any word on whether these are compatible with Defiance actions, or will they be producing a "U" version? I noticed in the compatible rifles section it referenced both the 510 and 510U.

Call them and ask if it's completed yet. They told me they were working on a "u" type version for the defiance.

Yes you will have to grind the inner left side as on the 510. It's because of the protruding pin on the trigger as the safety is engaged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am more then happy with mine! Compared to a savage target accu trigger which are very good! The timney is easly as light, mine is set at 6oz and breaks perfect with no creep at all!!

Will it stay that way over time, only time will tell! I only have 200 rounds and 2 outings on mine.

It is installed in a rem 700 in 300wm. It is about a hundred million billion times better feeling then the x mark pro that was in there!!

I was wondering when this would come out. I have two left handed bolt actions. My Rem is using the XMP which sucks and the defiance is using a right handed rifle basix. I bought a CG Jackson trigger but I could not get it to work with the Defiance Deviant action. The last timney trigger I bought sucked ass I could not get it below 2.3lbs. Hopefully this one will be much better.

I'd be interested to hear how they hold up for competitions and field use.

I put one in my Deviant for the weekend, came set to roughly 8 ounces. I ran a good few drills at K&M this past weekend it was awesome! Felt so much better than my Huber.

Here is my two cents

I ordered mine before a comp and have about 600 rounds through it so far. I ran it in a fairly aggressive comp and it never failed. This is just my opinion. So take it for what it's worth or throw it away.

I ordered it straight through Timney and you could have it preset set for whatever weight you want. I asked for 2.5 and it feels spot on. I prefer all my triggers(Jewells, Hubers, and Rem 40Xs set at this for safety and for tactile feel). Personally I feel anything less than that is unsafe and most guys like lighter triggers to cover up bad fundamentals. Just my opinion, I've stated it here before. If I offend I apologize just my opinion (small rant over.) They were nice over the phone, and I had it in about 2 days.

There is a small creep in mine, maybe 1/16" at the most. I know I can adjust it out nothing but I don't mind it all as it breaks clean, I kind of like it since I'm used to my 2 stage Hubers . The double sear didn't add any noticeable bolt lift upon reset and I like the way it feels.

Compared to a Jewell
The trigger shoe feels better and smoother. If you've run Jewells before you'll know what I mean. Every jewell trigger I've ever shot always has a very fine sharp edge along the shoe. Not sharp enough to cut you, but sharp a finely crafted feel. Also on a Jewell, the shoe is very thin. The Calvin Elite model just feels smooth as you insert your finger. The shoe itself is noticeably wider and allows a more positive surface for feel. As for break, it breaks just as clean but feels a little more tactical or robust. Not harsher, it just feels different.

Compared to Huber
Let me say I am a Huber fan. The Hubers I run are two stage and it's hard to compare. Two different beasts. I feel Hubers feel the smoothest and I believe it is because they are on a ball bearing. Again two different animals. The Calvin Elite is still a lever type system. I am not saying one is better than the other so I won't and can't. It just depends on what you like or what you are used to. I like my Hubers. I like the Calvin for what it is and it's more than 50% cheaper.

I am not a fan boy of any one brand for anything. I am a fan of well made equipment. I won't it's better than a Jewell or a Jewell is better or any other brand trigger. It's a good trigger and another well made viable option. I like it a lot. Plus it's gold so "I be pimpin my Surgeon on the range"

The one negative I hate is having to dremel out my chassis for that protruding safety pin on the left.

Last edited:
I just wish that CG Jackson and others would make a nice Left handed trigger with a safety. I am going to try one of these.

It's because you shoot on the wrong side of the rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk