• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to bolt action rifles, need advice.

CrackEfron

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Hello everybody,

I decided to buy myself a bolt action rifle and want some to hear your opinion on my options.
I've been shooting rifles on weekly basis between the ages of 10 and 16, and I haven't picked up a rifle since I moved out of my home country (Russia).
I'm 24 now and live in NY. I never stopped shooting handguns even though I don't own one in the US, I've been going to the range with friends and either shot theirs or rented so my hands shouldn't be that rusty.

Now as far as the bolt action goes, I've been reading and looking at my options and here is the plan:
For my first rifle I don't want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars but I do want a decent gun.

Remington SPS Varmint in .308 ~$750
Nikon MONARCH 3 4-16x42 Side Focus Mildot ~$500
Badger rail and rings ~$300

Total $1700 roughly with all the shipping etc.
What do you guys thing about it? Is it good enough to start shooting 200-300 yards at the range?
Eventually I want to upgrade it to McMillan A-5 stock and Krieger barrel. And advance to a 600 yard range. (Will that same scope still be good enough for 600 yards?)

As far as caliber goes I picked .308 because it's the most popular and most versatile in case I decide to do occasional hunting with it.
If I get into the sport I'm planning to build a custom rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor with Sturgeon action and base plate, Mcmillan A-5, Jewell trigger, Krieger barrel and S&B 5-25 scope but that's not anytime soon.

P.S. I'm a lefty so it makes everything much more difficult in making choices.
Sorry for the chaotic layout of my post and thanks for any input!

I have been in a similar position. IMHO, your setup is certainly adequate to start shooting at 200/300. 1 moa is probable, 1.5 is almost certain with good ammo.

I would consider a Savage and a SWFA SS, but that is just me. I am convinced that the Savage factory triggers & barrels are better / more consistent. I am a lefty too, and love RH bolt actions. Off a bench or prone, I find it ideal. Anyway, that is my recent experience.

A 4-16 at 600 is good for me. Not competition level, but definitely serviceable.

Let's see what the pros here say.

Last edited:
For $750 on a rifle you should have a lot more choices than a typical SPS Varmint. Particularly a AAC-SD 20inch Threaded Barrel (Trust me sooner or later you'd want a shorter threaded barrel). Or a savage would be a Great Starter Rifle and I think in factory form they have A Lot to offer compare to Remington Example: AccStock, AccTrigger, Drop Bottom Magazine etc.

As far as scope goes, $500 would actually get you A LOT MORE scope than a Nikon Monarch. Try search up for Falcon Menace 25x50mm Front Focal Plane Mil/Mil Scopes. I've got one on my Tikka T3 Scout .223 Rem and that Scope is Very Impressive! I have Vortex PST FFP, Bushnell HDMRs and seen through many High Dollar Scopes but the Falcon Menace is a Great Glass for the Money and Worth Every Penny and then some.

Trust me, be wish and spend smart, that budget of yours can get you a lot further than you current setup.

Good Luck.

HOG.

Thank you both for your input,
I'm not in the military or Law Enforcement so the only option available to me (left handed) from Savage is Model: 14/114 American Classic MSRP $885.
The advantage I see on this rifle is the DBM which I was planning to get on the 700 SPS so this saves some money already however I don't know much about Savage quality of the action and barrel comparing to Remington. (What do you guys say here?)
The savage also has the AccTrigger but no AccStock and Heavy Barrel options are available for me. As for AAC-SD 20 I can't have a silencer in my state but I might put a muzzle brake on it, I also thought 26" would give me some additional accuracy.
Will do some research on the scope in a bit.
I also thought 700 SPS Varmint was easier to customize since it's probably one of the most popular rifles in the US.

Please give your thoughts/comments.

CrackEfron
Your set up works fine for 200-300 yards.
A 20" barrel would work fine at these distances; a 26" barrel would be for longer shots, let's say passed 700 yards but there are many different opinions on this subject.
Your scope will be fine at 600 yards.
If you were to go with a DBM, look at PTG, they check and are reasonably priced.
good shooting.
Ombre noire

Hello everybody,

I decided to buy myself a bolt action rifle and want some to hear your opinion on my options.
I've been shooting rifles on weekly basis between the ages of 10 and 16, and I haven't picked up a rifle since I moved out of my home country (Russia).
I'm 24 now and live in NY. I never stopped shooting handguns even though I don't own one in the US, I've been going to the range with friends and either shot theirs or rented so my hands shouldn't be that rusty.

Now as far as the bolt action goes, I've been reading and looking at my options and here is the plan:
For my first rifle I don't want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars but I do want a decent gun.

Remington SPS Varmint in .308 ~$750
Nikon MONARCH 3 4-16x42 Side Focus Mildot ~$500
Badger rail and rings ~$300

Total $1700 roughly with all the shipping etc.
What do you guys thing about it? Is it good enough to start shooting 200-300 yards at the range?
Eventually I want to upgrade it to McMillan A-5 stock and Krieger barrel. And advance to a 600 yard range. (Will that same scope still be good enough for 600 yards?)

As far as caliber goes I picked .308 because it's the most popular and most versatile in case I decide to do occasional hunting with it.
If I get into the sport I'm planning to build a custom rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor with Sturgeon action and base plate, Mcmillan A-5, Jewell trigger, Krieger barrel and S&B 5-25 scope but that's not anytime soon.

P.S. I'm a lefty so it makes everything much more difficult in making choices.
Sorry for the chaotic layout of my post and thanks for any input!

I think you made a good choice in that SPS in 308, Ive got a SPSS(stainless) in 308, installed a Jewell trigger set at 6-7OZ, H-S stock, etc. if and when you upgrade Id take a look at a Manners T2 stock, Bartlein barrel, and a Sightron scope, set on TPS 20moa base and rings, very high quality and much less expensive than badger. Work enough overtime and youll have enough saved for that custom rig in no time, 6.5 or 6 creedmoor.haha

Save your money on rings and rail, Get a EGW Rail for 40 bucks and throw them in some burris rings. Just saved you 200 bucks.

Look for a Vortex 5-15x midway special. also around 500 bucks.

Thanks guys! There's a gun show this weekend not far from me, will probably help me make the final decision.

Save your money on rings and rail, Get a EGW Rail for 40 bucks and throw them in some burris rings. Just saved you 200 bucks.

Look for a Vortex 5-15x midway special. also around 500 bucks.

I completely agree with COBRA that you needn't spend $300 on a rail and rings. Warne makes sintered steel rings and rail for under $160, and you can get QD mounts for which they guarantee .001" MOA POI accuracy when remounting your optics.

The Vortex scopes have a lifetime, no-questions asked warranty that is transferable, and service to back up their products. Can't say the same for Bushnell or Nikon.

Enjoy the build process. I certainly have been enjoying building up my SPS varmint/tactical.