• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new to long range shooting need some help

s351saleengt

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2009
nj
hi every one im new to long range shooting , i currently have a bushmaster ar-15 and its fun to shoot at 100 yards but im looking to shoot 300yards + im really not to sure on what rifle to buy to get me started .i spoke to some guys at the range i go to that shoot long range and the had menchened that remington 700 s are nice guns to start off with i own several remington guns and love them all so i would concider this . i was browsing through the r700s and saw this one Model 700™ XCR™ Tactical Long Range.from what i this seems like a nice gun and having the longer barrel helps stablize the bullet for long range shooting and as well as the twist on this gun so any info and imput would help guys thanks alot

Re: new to long range shooting need some help

You cant go wrong with a remington.
spend at least as much on a good scope as you do on the rifle.
find a weight grain bullet your rifle likes, 168 or 175 most cases, and stock up on ammo or start reloading.

good luck and have fun.

Negatory, XCRLR is too much fuckin money.

Remington 700 SPS-tactical or SPS-varmint
+
168 gr. SMKs equals gold at 100 - 8-900

Both Sub-moa at 100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You cant go wrong with a remington.
spend at least as much on a good scope as you do on the rifle.

good luck and have fun.

</div></div>

+1

And look hard at different reticles. Choose one that suites YOUR needs.

Richie,

If your plaining on going custom in the future the Remington is the way to go. Id save some and get the SPS if your planing on replacing the stock. The stock on SPS needs replaced because its very cheaply made like plastic tupperware.

However if your not planing on going custom get the Remington 700 5R better stock and barrel and noted for their exceptional accuracy. Or Tikka makes a varmit model in .308win or the tactical version which is a little more money. Both feature very good hammer forged barrels and adjustable triggers, my Tikka is a .5" shooter with handloads.

If I were you id get the 700 5R. I dont own one but ive seen way to many people that own them that shoot just as good as customs with the right handload. Get yourself a Nightforce 3.5-15x56 with Seekins Rings and bases and you have yourself a really nice combo.

yea thanks guys i was looking at the leupold mark 4 25x , keeping in mind that i know a gun is only as accurate as the shooter ,and as far as money i dont mind spending .

i searched for the 700 5r and couldnt find it are u sure thats the name of that rifle?

what do u think of the remington Model 700™ VTR™ ?