• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Precision 22. Need help!

Nicholas Baio

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2022
Texas
Hey everyone, new to the precision 22 scene. As I get older, my hunger for competition is still looming over my life. I am really passionate about firearms and actually just purchased my first 22 at the age of 25! Crazy, right? Very familiar with building ARs and pistols, however, this new venture into wanting into NRL 22 seems awesome but confusing.

For reference, I purchased a Tikka t1x mtr and plan on putting a chassis, scope and doing other upgrades, but I need some help with the optics.

Trying to stick to a budget here, and not ready to move to the Vudoo scene as of yet, or spend money on ZCO glass, but what I am thinking is a vortex strike eagle 5-25x56 with some America precision rings.

I don’t know what height rings I should get, nor can I find a 60 MOA base anywhere for the T1x. Reason for wanting a 60 moa base, is because I really want to shoot ELR with a 22 because I think it will help be get a better grip on ballistics for when I decide to move to the precision center fire scene. The stile eagle is right in my budget and has a good parallax, but I just need help on finding a 60 moa base as the highest I can find is a EGW 40 moa.

Rob is my match buddy, shooting mentor, and friend, always ready to help me and the precision rifle community whenever he can. On the subject of past-400-yard .22, our usual unity of opinion diverges a bit.

He likes to shoot 500 yards or more with his Vudoo. I see no point in shooting past 400... well, maybe 425, as the last match we shot together went to 415.... because the .22LR rimfire is just too out of gas to be truly accurate way out there. While we can both wear out a 12" plate at 400 yards in calm conditions, we both agree that even a little wind wind turns high hit probability to mere chance. Even on calm days, shot dispersion at 500+ yards is such that I simply don't mess with it, preferring instead to spend my good ammo gaining more experience at more typical match ranges.

So, for me, shooting past 400 doesn't really provide any ROI for match practice. I have a 30MOA rail on my rifle, which gets me to about 450 or so with Center-X. For me, there is no reason whatsoever to pile more angle on my rifle's rail or rings. It won't get me anything.

There is also a raw mechanical issue putting a Strike Eagle, with a total of 31 mils of elevation (15 up / 15 down from center), on a 60MOA (just over 17 mils) rail or rail/ring combo - if you set anything like a normal zero for a .22 (35-50 yards), your scope's erector will be pretty much jammed to the limit of its "down" travel most of the time if it reaches at all. Is this likely to affect long-term performance/reliability of the turrets? [shrug] I wouldn't want to do that. Other opinions may run counter to that.

My $0.02 - offered purely from a PRS match shooter's perspective - would be to put a 30- or 40-MOA rail on your T1X and run it awhile before trying to pile on more elevation capability. If your interest is solely on .22 ELR, there is obviously a place for lots of rail/ring elevation... and I'm the wrong guy to talk about that.

Fair enough, that makes sense. Would you say that the Area419 30 MOA would be the best option then to be able to do NRL 22 and poke out to just over 400?
Rob is my match buddy, shooting mentor, and friend, always ready to help me and the precision rifle community whenever he can. On the subject of past-400-yard .22, our usual unity of opinion diverges a bit.

He likes to shoot 500 yards or more with his Vudoo. I see no point in shooting past 400... well, maybe 425, as the last match we shot together went to 415.... because the .22LR rimfire is just too out of gas to be truly accurate way out there. While we can both wear out a 12" plate at 400 yards in calm conditions, we both agree that even a little wind wind turns high hit probability to mere chance. Even on calm days, shot dispersion at 500+ yards is such that I simply don't mess with it, preferring instead to spend my good ammo gaining more experience at more typical match ranges.

So, for me, shooting past 400 doesn't really provide any ROI for match practice. I have a 30MOA rail on my rifle, which gets me to about 450 or so with Center-X. For me, there is no reason whatsoever to pile more angle on my rifle's rail or rings. It won't get me anything.

There is also a raw mechanical issue putting a Strike Eagle, with a total of 31 mils of elevation (15 up / 15 down from center), on a 60MOA (just over 17 mils) rail or rail/ring combo - if you set anything like a normal zero for a .22 (35-50 yards), your scope's erector will be pretty much jammed to the limit of its "down" travel most of the time if it reaches at all. Is this likely to affect long-term performance/reliability of the turrets? [shrug] I wouldn't want to do that. Other opinions may run counter to that.

My $0.02 - offered purely from a PRS match shooter's perspective - would be to put a 30- or 40-MOA rail on your T1X and run it awhile before trying to pile on more elevation capability. If your interest is solely on .22 ELR, there is obviously a place for lots of rail/ring elevation... and I'm the wrong guy to talk about that.

Yup. Just get the 30 moa.

Fair enough, that makes sense. Would you say that the Area419 30 MOA would be the best option then to be able to do NRL 22 and poke out to just over 400?
Sure, Area419 makes good stuff. If you want to go with 40MOA and Area419 makes one for the T1X, that should work fine too.

Ring height medium?

Medium is a generic term and is different from ring maker to ring maker. For the SE with the 56mm objective I wouldn’t go any lower than a 1” high ring. This is a set of 1.1” high rings on my Vudoo with 40 moa base and SE.

And moa in the base is so small in difference ring height is not an issue.

F2067545-F56E-4037-AEE7-ACF1E804EC79.jpeg

Medium is a generic term and is different from ring maker to ring maker. For the SE with the 56mm objective I wouldn’t go any lower than a 1” high ring. This is a set of 1.1” high rings on my Vudoo with 40 moa base and SE.

Very good point(s), I run Warne Mountain Tech 7221M medium 34mm rings on my Vudoo, they are 1.07" tall. Excellent rings BTW, I have 4 sets in different sizes on 4 different rimfire rifles.

View attachment 7869843
Love it! Thanks for the help on that. Sick Vudoo!!!

Reactions: Rob01
Hey everyone, new to the precision 22 scene. As I get older, my hunger for competition is still looming over my life. I am really passionate about firearms and actually just purchased my first 22 at the age of 25! Crazy, right? Very familiar with building ARs and pistols, however, this new venture into wanting into NRL 22 seems awesome but confusing.

For reference, I purchased a Tikka t1x mtr and plan on putting a chassis, scope and doing other upgrades, but I need some help with the optics.

Trying to stick to a budget here, and not ready to move to the Vudoo scene as of yet, or spend money on ZCO glass, but what I am thinking is a vortex strike eagle 5-25x56 with some America precision rings.

I don’t know what height rings I should get, nor can I find a 60 MOA base anywhere for the T1x. Reason for wanting a 60 moa base, is because I really want to shoot ELR with a 22 because I think it will help be get a better grip on ballistics for when I decide to move to the precision center fire scene. The stile eagle is right in my budget and has a good parallax, but I just need help on finding a 60 moa base as the highest I can find is a EGW 40 moa.
I have a Strike Eagle on my T1X, that is in a KRG Bravo. I have a 25 MOA Dip base and Burris XTR Signature ring with 30 moa in the rings. I am 1 Mil from the bottom of the scope travel, with a 50yds zero, and can dial to 500yds.
Mark

Reactions: Topstrap
I have a Strike Eagle on my T1X, that is in a KRG Bravo. I have a 25 MOA Dip base and Burris XTR Signature ring with 30 moa in the rings. I am 1 Mil from the bottom of the scope travel, with a 50yds zero, and can dial to 500yds.
Mark
How can you tell how many much moa is in the rings?

That or just run a 20 moa base and a scope with a tree reticle. I can dial and then hold past 400 yards without the worry of being able to shoot below 50 yards. It all depends on your scope choice though. There are some stellar options out there for the .22 crowd.

- Jon

Reactions: Nicholas Baio

This is some good advice! I wish I could follow it, I'm like Rob