• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Quickload, question about seating

Thor2j

Kriger
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
CO
I just bought quickload. I am trying to figure out a way to set distance to lands. One of my main objectives was to see by adjusting seating distance from land what the pressure results would be. Is this possible with quickload??

Thanks!

Seating depth definitely has an affect on pressure since it can increase/decrease the available case volume, and QL will show you the results of that. In terms of seating into the lands, there's a variable called "Shot Start (Initiation) Pressure" that can be used to tweak this. The default for standard jacketed bullets is 3635 psi, and the tool tip in QL says to add 7200 psi for bullets seated into the lands, which is probably a bit much. The article on accurateshooter suggests something like a 5000-6000 psi addition. But if you're looking for QL to tell you precisely how much pressure will increase when seating into the lands, it cannot.

Seating depth definitely has an affect on pressure since it can increase/decrease the available case volume, and QL will show you the results of that. In terms of seating into the lands, there's a variable called "Shot Start (Initiation) Pressure" that can be used to tweak this. The default for standard jacketed bullets is 3635 psi, and the tool tip in QL says to add 7200 psi for bullets seated into the lands, which is probably a bit much. The article on accurateshooter suggests something like a 5000-6000 psi addition. But if you're looking for QL to tell you precisely how much pressure will increase when seating into the lands, it cannot.
Hi, correct, with QuickLoad (a very good programme) the defaults are that you are either "not touching" 3635 PSI standard "Shot Start Pressure" with uncoated bullets or "touching / into lands" (you must gauge this dimension accurately for yourself) and add another 7200 PSI additionally to the initial "Shot Start Pressure" - then apply a new "Shot Start Pressure" total of 10835 PSI for uncoated bullets. I use this programme all the time - period. For even better results you should measure the internal volume of your fire formed case (if you're neck sizing only) with water as described in the programme notes to achieve best results especially with large / magnum sized cases which could be up to 5% different from the programme defaults. Then measure the resultant MV and if necessary adjust this default also to create an accurate ballistic table in QuickTarget.