• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New to the Forum, New to Precision Rifle!

S.hiles

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2019
Hello Everyone,

So for the past month I’ve have been all over and taking in as much information at possible. After many sleepless nights figuring witch rifle to buy I pulled the trigger on a Tikka T3x CTR 20” in 6.5 Creedmoor. Now I am patiently waiting for it to arrive at my local gun shop. Since then I have been watching tons of videos on barrel break and such. I found Panhandle Persicions to be very helpful in instruction and tools needed.

Now on to the hard part on choosing the scope. Man I thought my rifle choices were hard. There are even more choices in scopes! This is where I need some help. I have been to a couple gun shops and looked through a few and still haven’t a clue what to get. I do think I want to go the MOA route since I mainly communicate in yards inches feet and that’s what comes naturally. The one that have caught my eye and is in my price range is the fx1000 Nikon black series 6-24. What do y’all think of that series? I was wanting the stick at $6-800 for the glass.

And thanks for any help in advance, I found some of the Facebook long ranges groups not not be of much help and just a lot of randomly spewed information haha.

Reactions: kRcu
I do think I want to go the MOA route since I mainly communicate in yards inches feet and that’s what comes naturally.

There are lots of good scopes out there. First piece of advice is read through the many Mil vs MOA threads here and stop thinking in any type of linear measurement like I’ve bolded above. Reading through the threads will explain why.

Welcome to long range shooting. It’s very addictive! Have fun.

You will probably get many opinions on what scope to get. I have no experience on the Nikon but for the price, I would look at the Vortex PST II in either 3-15 or 5-25 on sale at Midway. I have the 3-15 and I like it a lot.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...main-image-link&utm_campaign=vortex-viper-pst

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...st-focal-illuminated-ebr-2d-moa-reticle-matte

I am new to the precision rifle world as well and based on all of the reviews I have read/watched, I don’t think you can go wrong with the Vortex PST II’s recommended above. The Athlon scopes within your budget seem to get excellent reviews as well. Check them out at CameralandNY.

I went low budget for my first setup and got a fixed power SWFA SS 12x42 with the mil-quad reticle due to all of the glowing reviews and excellent value for the money. They are normally $300, but I got mine for $260 during a recent sale they had. Haven’t shot with it yet, but I am very happy with the quality for the price. I’ve read numerous times on various forums of people recommending that everyone should have a SWFA SS fixed power scope in their arsenal. The 10 and 12 power seem to be the most popular.

I really like the T3X CTR and hope to own one eventually.

The FX1000 also appears to be a solid option. Check out sportoptics.com if you haven’t already. They had the best price on them that I was able to find.

Reactions: Bender
If you can find PST Gen 2 in your price range, go for it. For this type of shooting, I really like it. From the scopes I have seen in the $700 to $1200 range, I really like Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50, Vortex PST Gen2, and Athlon Ares ETR, in ascending price order.

I have only seen FX1000 briefly and it seemed like a decent scope, but PST Gen 2 is better. I have not seen it next to the Ares BTR, so I can not tell you how it stacks up.

I was originally going to test FX1000 this year, but decided to wait until they introduce a tree reticle.

Now, if you are planning to use a simpler mil-scale reticle and do not need a tree, I would highly recommend looking at Steiner P4Xi 4-16x56. I keep on seeing it under $1k and at that price it is a steal. SCR Mil reticle does not give you wind holds at distance, but if you will mostly dial elevation and hold for wind, it is a really good reticle.

Here is a list of my recommendation for the under $1k price range:
http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=92

I am in the process of updating my recommendations and I will be adding P4Xi to the list.

ILya

Swfa 3-15 is only $699 and has a lifetime warranty, but you probably will never need it as it’s built like a tank. Mils is preferred for PRS but MOA will get you there. Nothing wrong with either. Just stop thinking in linear measurements. When it clicks and it will just make sense.

It's not hard to find the Vortex PST Gen 2 on sale, will likely be around $900 but would be the best bang for your buck and won't leave you wanting an upgrade in 6-12 months time.

And good choice on the CTR.

Vortex PST Gen 2 First Focal Plane another vote here.

For the money you cant do wrong with a SWFA SS but its better to buy once and cry once, the Vortex PST Gen 2 would make an excellent choice.

I have Vortex on everything, but my PST scores are gen 1 6-24. I use a tape measure every day, so my thought on moa was similar to yours. It really does not matter. Mil is easy and fast, also a fairly common thing amongst target shooters; which will help in the event you start shooting with range buddies/new people/etc. Personally, I had no problems going the mil route. However, owning 4 Vortex optics (all of which I'm very pleased with), is not stopping me from wanting to get into the SWFA line of optics. They get stellar reviews, and everyone who has one, well, still has one. One other tidbit of advice I have learned from being here: when it comes to glass, you should treat anything posted by @koshkin like the gospel. The man definitely seems to know his way around a rifle scope or 2, or 10, or 200. You get the picture. Welcome to your new addiction

Based on your budget, I agree with @Bender that the SWFA 3-15 x 42 FFP MIL QUAD scope is the best bet for your money. I have one and it tracks great (Just shot out to 530 yds today and it was flawless). If your like me, you will most likely be using some type of software to find your elevation/ distance. I'd recommend going with a FFP scope so that you use your full zoom. I'd stay away from Nikon. My experience with them is less than great; tracking wasn't repeatable.

It would be our pleasure to discuss options with you. Please give us a call if you have some time, 516-217-1000

Doug

This is probably the best option you have right now with your current level of knowledge. Doug will get you sorted or even refer you to another dealer if he doesn't carry what makes most sense for your needs.

I will also Parrot the comments above about MOA/MIL. Has nothing to do with metric/imperial linear measurements, as they will not transfer in this case. MIL is most likely your best route unless you have been using MOA reference your whole life.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Another vote for the PST2 3-15. Hard to beat.

Great choice on the rifle by the way. I have a 24" CTR 6.5CM, and it's freaking awesome.

All my rigs are for hunting. Shots could be from 20-800 yards. I would not get a scope that 6 power is the low end of the magnification because it would make those close up shots real difficult. I prefer somewhere in 3-4 on the low end and 18-20ish on the upper end of the magnification.

I’ve got an XTR II 4-20 on my 6.5 and I hunt almost exclusively in massive bean fields. I can’t recall ever using anything over 10-12x.

I’m ready to sell it and drop down to something in the 2-10x42 range.

So I think I’ve dialed it down to the PST Gen II in 5-25. Figured I’d up my price range and buy once cry once haha. Still iffy on the Mrad or moa. I’ve been non stop watching videos and reading about it.

And when I get the scope what ring height would y’all recommend? That seems to be a whole different topic. 20moa bases and such.

So much information to take in just to get started but I want to make sure I do it right the first time.

There is also and intro to lrp at a range an hour and a half away from my house. It’s $475 for 2 days and I’m thinking about signing up.

Lowest height ring that will clear the bell. I have 1.25" barrels, and I can clear a 50mm, on 20moa rail, with medium height (~1"). When running the sun shade, my flip caps are just rubbing the barrel. Most barrels are not straight 1.25", so your results may vary. Just some starting insight. I will second any opinion on Vortex; good product, stand up warranty. Good luck

Zero depends on what type of shooting your doing. Most of us still zero at 1 or 200. A 20 moa rail with a 100 yard zero should get you to 1200 np with most calibers if not farther. Get a good ballistic app so you can run the numbers yourself. Strelok free version is a good place to start. I would strongly recommend you learn both moa and Mil. Choose your scope based on the reticle and then make sure your turret units match whatever reticle you like.

Ive got a nikon fx1000 4-16x50 in mil for sale if youre still looking. Its a spare. I run another in prs comps. With xtr signature rings and a level for 600 shipped 550 without rings. The glass is clear FFP is awesome for matches and the zero stop is great.
Ive been behind an xtrii and sold it for the nikon because the clarity was better. I know its better than the pst gen 1 havent been behind the gen 2 yet. Anyway if youre still looking shoot me a message