• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New to the forums and rifle shooting. couple ?s

JJRawr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
El Paso, TX
I'm active duty military here at fort bliss, TX and I've shot M16s, M4s, 249s, 240s, M2 50 cals, etc and am pretty decent with my few pistols, but I decided to take the plunge into long range shooting.

I obtained a Remington 700 5r milspec in .308, nearly brand new from craigslist fitted with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 scope, nightforce ultra light rings (1") and a nightforce 20moa base. I got it for $2000 including a pelican case and a couple other goodies.

Anyways, going to shoot it for the first time. What's the best factory ammunition in .308 that I could get to zero at 100 yards? I'll be getting into reloading soon, but don't have the equipment yet. Thanks

Re: New to the forums and rifle shooting. couple ?s

Go buy some Federal Gold 168gr Match ammo.

Enjoy your rifle, and I'm sorry about being stuck in fort bliss.

haha, yeah, fort bliss has been my only duty station other than basic at benning and AIT at gordon. Just got back with 1-1AD in august from Iraq and was looking for a way to blow some of this money i saved. Just bought a new kimber commander style 1911 and love it. my wife about killed me when i brought the rifle home too! thanks for the input

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">haha, yeah, fort bliss has been my only duty station other than basic at benning and AIT at gordon. Just got back with 1-1AD in august from Iraq and was looking for a way to blow some of this money i saved. Just bought a new kimber commander style 1911 and love it. my wife about killed me when i brought the rifle home too! thanks for the input
</div></div>

Firstly, thank you for your service.
Secondly, congrats on the new rifle.
Thirdly, get some FGMM 168gr or some Southwest 175gr.

I just got into precision shooting in November and have been using those two for my main precision ammo. I also got some cheap 150gr Federal stuff for not-so-serious shooting.

FGM as metioned above a couple times. Also, Cor Bon makes some nice Match quality ammo.