• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk New to the game

Lucreau

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2017
CO
finally made the plunge and ordered a seekins precision havak bravo in 6.5PRC (for me a great rifle to get into). Decided to go with this caliber based off a couple things. We just PCSd to Colorado so I would like to get back into large game hunting, while still being able to get into PRS style shooting, which I have wanted to do for a long time.

For the glass I have decided on a mk5 tremor 3 in either a 5-25x56 or the 7-35x56. Is the 35x needed? I would like to push this out to 1000yds or more after some proper training.

for loads, I currently load 9major and minor for USPSA. So down the road I’ll get into loading the 6.5prc. But for now I’ll be using Hornady 147gr ELD Match ammo (at least that’s what I have on hand, and can try out different ammo as well)

For PRS, you don't need large magnification at all. Most guys leave their magnification around 10x and just leave it there. The wide field of view helps a ton when searching for targets and plus large magnification will add to your wobble and shake. Even for 1000 yard prone, when mirage gets bad you have to dial it back to around 18x.

To answer your question, you absolutely do not need the 7-35x56 for your applications. Even the 3.6-18x will be plenty of scope for PRS/1000 yard prone. You can't go wrong with the mk5 5-25x56. I have one myself and I use the 25x for group shooting at 100 yards and for PRS I just leave it at 8x, untouched for most of the match.

By the way, why did you decide to go with tremor 3? TMR may be more beginner-friendly and also less busy if you plan to hunt.

For PRS, you don't need large magnification at all. Most guys leave their magnification around 10x and just leave it there. The wide field of view helps a ton when searching for targets and plus large magnification will add to your wobble and shake. Even for 1000 yard prone, when mirage gets bad you have to dial it back to around 18x.

To answer your question, you absolutely do not need the 7-35x56 for your applications. Even the 3.6-18x will be plenty of scope for PRS/1000 yard prone. You can't go wrong with the mk5 5-25x56. I have one myself and I use the 25x for group shooting at 100 yards and for PRS I just leave it at 8x, untouched for most of the match.

By the way, why did you decide to go with tremor 3? TMR may be more beginner-friendly and also less busy if you plan to hunt.
Thank you for the response, all great advice and info

great to know about the mag value, I was very curious what application would call for 35x of mag. It sounds like the 5-25 would suit me best for what I’ll be doing

As far as the tremor 3 decision. I have had a few mk5 TMR scopes, and more so just wanted to branch out and try something new, as well as get into a reticle more PRS friendly when I do go try shooting a match. I could see it being an issue in heavy brush with the tremor reticle though. So between those 2 I’ll have to do more research to see what will work

Give the cch a look over. I went from decades behind a Horus and have really enjoyed switching over the the cch. To me it’s still that tree style retical with all those benefits but going from .2 to .25 lightens up how busy it is imo. I also am really liking how the center aimpoints are open instead of covered up by the retical to me this feature makes it fast. Reminds me a little of a doughnut retical I had in an acog long time ago, a little different with precision but whatever was in that retical was a hit and that open square feels similar for the most part to me again just my opinion. Also the top of the retical is great for trying to get good mill readings for ranging. The tremor 3. compared to the cch is a headache waiting to happen and coming from lots of Horus life that explains that retical well. It’s nice in the right hands but ask yourself if that’s you?

Also want to add I just sold a 3.6-18 so have time behind one and it’s awesome. I have a 5-25 and just received my new 7-35 a couple weeks ago. I agree with lucraeu about not using high magnification but I feel like my 7-35 when in that 15-25 range is nicer to look through then my 5-25 on the same power. And I rarely use 5-6 on these rifles. Don’t have any real hard time behind the 7-35 yet but just an initial observation for me so far in a couple weeks. Hope this helps you.

Give the cch a look over. I went from decades behind a Horus and have really enjoyed switching over the the cch. To me it’s still that tree style retical with all those benefits but going from .2 to .25 lightens up how busy it is imo. I also am really liking how the center aimpoints are open instead of covered up by the retical to me this feature makes it fast. Reminds me a little of a doughnut retical I had in an acog long time ago, a little different with precision but whatever was in that retical was a hit and that open square feels similar for the most part to me again just my opinion. Also the top of the retical is great for trying to get good mill readings for ranging. The tremor 3. compared to the cch is a headache waiting to happen and coming from lots of Horus life that explains that retical well. It’s nice in the right hands but ask yourself if that’s you?
So another reason for leaning towards the T3 was that I can get it in illuminated. I have read on the CCH as I was also looking into that, and have heard that most have issues with it on low mag. Have you ran into that?

Well your right as it is not available in illuminated so that would be a deal breaker if you have to have it. I haven’t had any issues using that retical on any power but ff plane scopes can get thin on the bottom power setting. My home range is spread out on 250 acres in the Appalachian mountains so I’m shooting in the dark fairly thick woods and dark tree lines almost constantly. This is where you would probably have issues but like I said I haven’t and Am always able to pick it up. I had the 3-18 on a gas 6.5 cm and the 5-25 on my bolt gun. Just moved the 5-25 to my gas gun and put the 7-35 on the bolt gun. Cch may not be the right move for you but my friend got a new mark5 first when they came out and I was ready for a change. once looking through his and asking my wife her opinion who’s a shooter also saying the cch looked way less busy then the h59 I went with it and now love it.

So another reason for leaning towards the T3 was that I can get it in illuminated. I have read on the CCH as I was also looking into that, and have heard that most have issues with it on low mag. Have you ran into that?
I was at a match last week looking at various top glass to replace what I have now.

Im going with the Mark5 5-25 CCH. Illumination would be nice but its not a deal breaker for me. I prefer the BF Mil XT ret but its a big jump in price for NF. And the eyebox on the Mark5 is very forgiving, that and price are what sold me.

Reactions: Simonsza1
So I ended up popping for a vortex razor HD gen II 4.5-27x56 with the EBR-7C reticle. Seems a lot of guys like it. Not too overly busy, and still illuminated

Reactions: OyVey
finally made the plunge and ordered a seekins precision havak bravo in 6.5PRC (for me a great rifle to get into). Decided to go with this caliber based off a couple things. We just PCSd to Colorado so I would like to get back into large game hunting, while still being able to get into PRS style shooting, which I have wanted to do for a long time.

For the glass I have decided on a mk5 tremor 3 in either a 5-25x56 or the 7-35x56. Is the 35x needed? I would like to push this out to 1000yds or more after some proper training.

for loads, I currently load 9major and minor for USPSA. So down the road I’ll get into loading the 6.5prc. But for now I’ll be using Hornady 147gr ELD Match ammo (at least that’s what I have on hand, and can try out different ammo as well)
Youll get more usable reticle at lower magnification dont buy the 35x 25 is worlds