• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Truck

I had an 02 Chevy HD with the 8.1/496. And the Allison 5speed. I miss it dearly. Zero issues at 140k. Wish I never sold it.
DEE6626F-777E-4026-83F7-CCD9468568ED.jpeg

I thought about trading mine in and getting a new truck but I haven't found anything I like better than my 95 Bronco!

Reactions: Bender
Congrats on the new truck! I've always had good luck with Ford trucks and have been driving them for many years. Current rig is a 2013 F350 Powerstroke.

I thought about trading mine in and getting a new truck but I haven't found anything I like better than my 95 Bronco!
Bronco comes back by 2020! OJ look out!

My favorite is the international 7.3 turbo. It's just plain real. Buddy has an 18 Girlamax in a Chev 3500, pulls great, but the new powerstroke has it beat with torque.

Picked up a 2017 1500 with crank windows and no extra seats a year ago, which keeps the old lady from ever asking if we can use it for family shit... There isn't even a place for her purse. Perfect. Side benefit is it matches the county trucks perfectly and I can drive through construction zones etc... They think I am their supervisor coming to check up haha

Nice truck. But the next truck I'll buy will be a Toyota (previous one was a Dodge Dakota)

I keep vehicles for a minimum of ten years. While the wife doesn't drive a lot (she works from home), I do. My current ride (bought as a secondary commuter and now my main ride) is a Honda Fit. A 2010 model bought in January 2011, it just rolled over 200,000 miles all on salty, nasty Midwest paved and gravel roads. No rust, and no repairs whatsoever until it hit over 190,000 miles. So far it has needed a new alternator and a new halfshaft. The interior is virtually as new with no sagging headliner, no upholstery rips or fading (it sits outside while I'm at work), and no warping of any of the plastic trim.

The car drives and feels as if it will easily take another 100,000 miles with little trouble, which it will probably will have to do as I just bought a new 2018 Toyota RAV4 for the wife to replace her utter and complete piece of shit Chrysler Pacifica at 135,000 miles.

In another 3 years I'll buy either a Tundra or Tacoma and either give the Fit to my daughter as she goes to college (likely) or just junk it (unlikely).

While American-branded cars have come a long way, the Japanese have not stood still and IMO Japanese brand vehicles are still the reliability and durability kings.

It doesn't hurt that many Japanese vehicles for some time now have been more American in value-added content than most "American" ones.

I had an 02 Chevy HD with the 8.1/496. And the Allison 5speed. I miss it dearly. Zero issues at 140k. Wish I never sold it. View attachment 6932154

I still drive an 01 standard cab of the same truck. Same color too. I love it. Tows like a diesel but you dont need new injectors every 40k lol. Only thing that sucks is 10-12 mpg. But it still gets that pulling 10k.

I traded in my 06 dodge Cummins for a 14 gmc 1500 about a year ago. Loved the truck at first. Drove great, was really quite and had lots of room. Then I actually started using it as a truck. Towing trailers, taking hunting and hauling random stuff. After about 6 month I hated it. Transmission is terrible. Can’t decide what gear it wants to be in. Engine goes into v4 all the time and has hesitations. Put AFM disabler on it. Lower ball joints bad at 50k, can’t change tranny fluid unless you drop the exhaust.
No I wish I would have just built the trans in my dodge and threw some new injectors in it.
There isn’t a new truck out there that I would buy. My 87 f350 service truck is damn near bulletproof. Sure it slow and doesn’t have anything fancy but it feels like I’m driving a truck not a Car.

Reactions: 1J04 and Yasherka
I love my 2017 F150 XLT 4x4 I smile every time I get in it on the way to the range or hunting keep up with the maintenance and it will do you right.....Congrats on the new truck!
Have a 18 150 with the ecoboost engine for my running around truck and am really pleased. Had 250s serve as framing trucks for the past 40 years, beat the hell out of them, with a little maintenance, their like the terminator, you can't stop them. Never got too twisted over Ford, vs. Chevy, vs. Dodge, just had good luck with the Ford pickups.

Been a Ford man all my life, but needed a diesel and could not afford an injection pump replacement on a new style F250 diesel. So three weeks ago bought a Ram 2500 Mega cab with the Cummins. I really like it. Lots of power, comfy, and the engine should have very few issues for an extremely long time.

Its sad that once upon a time a truck was meant as a tool (a work truck) now all the yuppies drive them like BMW cars and have driven the prices out of this world. I want rubber floor liners and waterproof seat covers. A truck should ride like a truck and not a cadillac :p
This times a billion.

Base line 3/4 ton 4x4 costs north of $35k, that's insane, and their bells and whistles "standard" items only jack up the cost for what used to be a working man's mainstay. Chrome belongs on a Harley or an Indian, not on a fucking truck. Mud and heavy loads belong on a truck, and that's it.

On the SUV front, pretty much none of them are worth a fuck off the pavement aside from the Wrangler in Rubicon or higher setup to have a decent front axle. My lady's Subaru Crosstrek is more off-road worthy than the latest iteration of the Ford Explorer ,with a higher ground clearance and 1200 fewer lbs, and having 4L on a vehicle with street tires and under 8" clearance is an insult and a waste.

Reactions: Yasherka
We have new vehicles but i tend to have more fun driving my 1988 YJ w a AMC 360 and custom dana 44s on 35s lol

This times a billion.

Base line 3/4 ton 4x4 costs north of $35k, that's insane, and their bells and whistles "standard" items only jack up the cost for what used to be a working man's mainstay. Chrome belongs on a Harley or an Indian, not on a fucking truck. Mud and heavy loads belong on a truck, and that's it.

On the SUV front, pretty much none of them are worth a fuck off the pavement aside from the Wrangler in Rubicon or higher setup to have a decent front axle. My lady's Subaru Crosstrek is more off-road worthy than the latest iteration of the Ford Explorer ,with a higher ground clearance and 1200 fewer lbs, and having 4L on a vehicle with street tires and under 8" clearance is an insult and a waste.
My FJ does pretty well off road
D3074FA6-BE02-4CC4-89AF-5C07C6A3F5C8.jpeg
72F881B8-3E4C-4E72-B556-D59EA432A505.jpeg

How's the new 2018/19 model of those?

Exactly, all the good off road capable SUVs have been killed off. The US ones at least, because who the fuck has Land Cruiser Jxxx or Range Rover money, actually does cool shit in them? I'd kill for a Prado diesel in the US, beat the shit out of those in Afghanistan.

Nice truck though, that's some awesomely fun looking wheeling there.

Reactions: Bender and BCX
I'm still running a 93 GMC 3500 with a 5.7. I've thought about buying a new truck, but I haven't figured out what makes one $70,000.00 dollars better than what I have. 4 doors, Long bed, straight body, strong engine, and no payments.

Congrats on the new truck! I've always had good luck with Ford trucks and have been driving them for many years. Current rig is a 2013 F350 Powerstroke.
IMG_0023.JPG
Cheers to that! When I went to replace my Excursion with a dually a couple years ago, I gave all the big 3 a chance. They all have their problems that leave you on the side of the road and your wallet really hurting. Interior room was the deciding factor for me. I'm not short and I have 2 boys that are young now but I'll not stay that way. I sit i the drivers seat and adjust it to where I'm comfortable. Then I get out and sit behind that seat. If my knees touch the seat then it was a not going to happen. Ford won by a large margin. And all the fancy shit in the Platinum made my wife happy. She pulls out 45ft trailer during the summer and says it the best pulling truck she's ever driven. I would have to agree. 25k gross. Had to drive to Tallahassee in march to pull my father in laws trailer home to wi when his gmc blew up. Grossed 31k on that trip and handles great with all the go and stop I could need

View attachment 6932871Cheers to that! When I went to replace my Excursion with a dually a couple years ago, I gave all the big 3 a chance. They all have their problems that leave you on the side of the road and your wallet really hurting. Interior room was the deciding factor for me. I'm not short and I have 2 boys that are young now but I'll not stay that way. I sit i the drivers seat and adjust it to where I'm comfortable. Then I get out and sit behind that seat. If my knees touch the seat then it was a not going to happen. Ford won by a large margin. And all the fancy shit in the Platinum made my wife happy. She pulls out 45ft trailer during the summer and says it the best pulling truck she's ever driven. I would have to agree. 25k gross. Had to drive to Tallahassee in march to pull my father in laws trailer home to wi when his gmc blew up. Grossed 31k on that trip and handles great with all the go and stop I could need
That's a nice looking truck right there.. 350, dually, super crew, long bed, everything but a parking space, love it

Reactions: Geno C.
This times a billion.

I saw a demo of the Mercedes GLE SUV 4 wheel drive system and was nothing short of impressed. You can take off out of the muck and onto the highway at 130mph, and cruise there while being fairly stable.

I said I would take one if I could get it with nothing on it. No carpet, just a bare or rubberized floor. No wood in the dash. No cloth anywhere. No trim whatsoever. Not one enhancement to the seats, just plain seats. Other than a dome light I don't need any other interior lighting. Now the power side folding mirrors could actually be useful when picking your way through trees. I can live with the pretty rims and put tires of my own choosing on them. If I need to make room for tall rubber there I have a shop that will gladly cut some body work away and add some flexible flaring. Unfortunately, this vehicle is not possible. Which is too bad as I would love to have one.

At one time you could get Range Rovers this way, now it's just a fantasy.

I saw a demo of the Mercedes GLE SUV 4 wheel drive system and was nothing short of impressed. You can take off out of the muck and onto the highway at 130mph, and cruise there while being fairly stable.

I said I would take one if I could get it with nothing on it. No carpet, just a bare or rubberized floor. No wood in the dash. No cloth anywhere. No trim whatsoever. Not one enhancement to the seats, just plain seats. Other than a dome light I don't need any other interior lighting. Now the power side folding mirrors could actually be useful when picking your way through trees. I can live with the pretty rims and put tires of my own choosing on them. If I need to make room for tall rubber there I have a shop that will gladly cut some body work away and add some flexible flaring. Unfortunately, this vehicle is not possible. Which is too bad as I would love to have one.

At one time you could get Range Rovers this way, now it's just a fantasy.
You just described the Toyota LC70, another vehicle that will never hit our shores because of emissions standards. I used one of these in pickup form for a good while in the ME, lock both axles in 4L and it's absolutely unstoppable.

my 7.3 powerstroke (1 ton dually) would never come off cruise pulling 20,000 pounds through the rockies at 75.
At a truck weight of 8,000lb, and a trailer weight of 20k, going 75 mph on decent asphalt requires nearly 700hp at the rear wheels (825hp at flywheel, approximately) for a 10% grade. What had you done to your 7.3 to get those kind of #'s? Or were you not on that steep of a grade?

Any vehicle company will have some shit products or issues. I used to be a Toyota technician and I could tell you hours of stories about things we repaired and other issues from apparent disgruntled assembly line workers. Things were done on purpose to cause issues later. Little things like not doing all the spot welds on the seams under the windshield, jawbreaker candies in the raised channels where the seats bolt in, spot welded pieces of sheet metal inside the door that would rattle and make noise...then there were all the head gasket issues on the trucks and 4Runners in the 3.0 and 3.4 V6 engines. Oh and coil spring buckets that would rip off the frames on the trucks on Tacoma's. So yes even the prestigious Japanese still made mistakes.

Later in life I now work for a fishing company. I drove around the country in a Tundra towing a bass boat and a ton of gear in the truck. The Tundra was sound for durability but not so great for fuel mileage and towing comfort. The wheel base made it bounce with a trailer on the back in odd ways. The tiny fuel tank made for frequent fuel stops on any trip. The brakes were also pretty bad with a trailer. The boat trailer had brakes on both axles and the truck still didn't want to stop when you needed it to. Trailer weight was only about 3000 pounds. Add an additional 1000-1200 in the bed. It should have performed much better but hey it pulled the space shuttle down a street in L.A.

At a truck weight of 8,000lb, and a trailer weight of 20k, going 75 mph on decent asphalt requires nearly 700hp at the rear wheels (825hp at flywheel, approximately) for a 10% grade. What had you done to your 7.3 to get those kind of #'s? Or were you not on that steep of a grade?
It had a high altitude package on it, which was a bigger turbo and exhaust. It would scream like a big rig going up grades. 20k was a guestimate. If I had to guess an accurate weight I'd say a 25' gooseneck trailer with a load of sch. 40 pipe on it would probably average 15-20K lbs.

It had a high altitude package on it, which was a bigger turbo and exhaust. It would scream like a big rig going up grades. 20k was a guestimate. If I had to guess an accurate weight I'd say a 25' gooseneck trailer with a load of sch. 40 pipe on it would probably average 15-20K lbs.
High Altitude Package?? from the Factory? Might want to step lightly.......

My 7.3 Excursion was close to 550 to the ground and don't think 75 up a 10% would even be a dream at that weight. Even it is would, egts would get out of control, QUICK!

Reactions: Rthur
My 7.3 Excursion was close to 550 to the ground and don't think 75 up a 10% would even be a dream at that weight. Even it is would, egts would get out of control, QUICK!
I don't know of any 10% grades on any interstate in the US.

I don't know of any 10% grades on any interstate in the US.
I know of quite a few 8%. Seeing if I can find a way to check a couple that might be over 8%. But yea 10% would be one hell of a hill.

Current engineering standards for the interstate system looks to be 6% max. Would appear even the 8%-ers are not on interstate system.

Last edited:
I have a 2002 7.3 crew cab. My wife has a 7.3 excursion. We have 6 kids, and I can’t imagine what I’ll get after these vehicles. Probably have to start building my own. Get her a unimog with seating for 12, ?. I’ll drop a 12v in a vintage forest service crew cab power wagon. Vehicles these days are absolutely insane. 80k plus for a crew cab f250 that needs another 5k to fix the “improvements” ?!

I have a 2002 7.3 crew cab. My wife has a 7.3 excursion. We have 6 kids, and I can’t imagine what I’ll get after these vehicles. Probably have to start building my own. Get her a unimog with seating for 12, ?. I’ll drop a 12v in a vintage forest service crew cab power wagon. Vehicles these days are absolutely insane. 80k plus for a crew cab f250 that needs another 5k to fix the “improvements” ?!
It's only about 2k of the improvements ?

Congrats to OP. The specific truck does not matter to me, just glad you're excited.

I bought, new in 2011, an F250 Lariat, crew, 4x4, diesel (had some "exhaust" work done to it and a tune - really woke it up!). Just now crossed 80k miles. It has been great.

Reactions: AMGtuned