• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Vortex Fury 5000 Range Finding Binos with Applied Ballistics

Thanks. Vortex seems to be the first to really put together a product that integrates the separate pieces.

You shoulda seen me chasing prairie dogs 2 years ago. Locate them with binocs. Range them. Check wind with my Kestrel 1000. Get a firing solution on my phone app. By that time the little varmint would often duck back down in his burrow. Arrgh. Yes it was kind of a comedy but I still managed to connect with some pretty impressive shots.
Hey, another Pd shooter! How far were you shooting, and what caliber?

I ask because I relate with the up/down/find Pd again musical chairs (and I never measure wind or dial). Used to be: Find Pd with spotter or binos. Refind with separate rangefinder, range. Refind with riflescope. Shoot with .204.

Now I have the older Furys with just the rangefinder. So much easier.

My first trip to S Dakota I had no idea what I was doing and took a .223 and a 22-250. I live and practice in Georgia and I got a real lesson in shooting in the wind. Up there it really blew those little 52gr bullets around. I thought the 22-250 would extend my effective range but I actually connected at a longer distance with the .223, about 470yards.

A couple years later I had a little long range knowledge and put new scopes on both rifles. Now I was ready to dial elevation and more importantly had reticles with ticks on the horizontal stadia for wind holds. I also built a 6mm Creedmoor and loaded it with 107gr Sierra MKs for less wind deflection. And that all worked much better. I ultimately connected at 697yds with the 6mm and exceeded 500 yards with the 22-250.

But I learned the rifles are only part of the overall solution. Now I have to improve my ability to locate targets and generate a firing solution before the critter moves. I missed out on too many dogs because I was just too slow. Maybe the new Furys will be the ticket.

Reactions: carbonbased
Thanks to Vortex being awesome, I got mine ordered on a Cert much earlier than months out this week, gonna calibrate them Sunday.
So far they seem very easy to set up and manipulate. The reticle display is easy to read and repeats the solution for data card transfer.
I have not yet messed with the kestrel link as I want to try these as a stand alone unit.
But I cannot use an RRS Strap mount and the objective lens covers together, so I have my outdoorsman stud on there.
Primarily bought these for NRLH style glassing/ranging combo so I'll probably just use them on a GC anyway. If I like them a lot, I'll use them on the mount for regular matches too, and leave the spotter/leica lrf at home.
The best news for me is they work with glasses just fine, I have to touch my lenses to the rubber eye cups, but I get a full picture without extra pressure, i was worried it would be a no-go like some other binos I have.
DSF (drop scale factor) is the ability to tailor your AB curve to real dope--basically a custom curve overwrite--you do it from within the phone app.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveM
Does anyone know whether the Fury ABs provide station (actual) atmospheric pressure or barometric pressure? I'm guessing it's like a Kestrel and provides station pressure but just wanted to verify.

I had a few minutes to calibrate it yesterday. I verified the results with my magnetic compass. While the Fury AB compass is off by a few degrees, it's fairly consistent. Which means that when you have a heading for the wind bearing capture mode and then change your direction of fire it's going to give a fairly accurate wind direction relative to your firing direction. This showed to be the case where relative wind direction is shown on the Environmentals page of the phone app.

First trip to the range will be tomorrow where I'll be able to try it out to 500 yards.

I’m having trouble getting the come up and wind to match up between the Fury and Kestrel 5700 elite. Both gun profiles are identical. But it’s off every time with both and even more so wind than the elevation. Very frustrating.

Is there additional settings that need to be changed in the Kestrel to get them to line up? I have Wind/WD/WD Chg Submenu set to W/DOF and the Wind Direction units set to degrees. In environment, does it matter if wind capture is set to one target or all targets? And live readings refresh is set to 2 seconds. I have to be missing something.

Last edited:
Yesterday I shot out to 520yds. The Fury and the AB app on my phone were off by 0.1 mils. The phone app had the true correction so I'll need to go back into the rifle profile for the Fury and make sure everything is set correctly.

I also worked on determining which part of the Fury's reticle gave the correct yardage. Seems to be the lower half. I get my Outdoorsman bino adapter this week so I'll be able to more precisely hold the Fury as I'm ranging targets.

It was a chilly but not cold morning in N. Ga yesterday and I found that after being in the house and then the truck for the ride to the range, the Furys took a good 30-40 minutes to display the correct temperature. Not sure where the sensor is embedded but it definitely takes some time. But after a while it did finally agree quite closely with the digital thermometer I set up on the bench next to me. Pressure is definitely actual station pressure, not a corrected for altitude barometric pressure.

I just received my binos and tried pairing them with my kestrel via Bluetooth. I get the symbol showing a connection and the kestrel screen shows the fury under devices.
I am able to get one range measurement right after I establish the connection but am not able to get any measurements after that to show on the kestrel. If I let the binos go to sleep and try again the kestrel shows a BT link but the last distance will not update with new measurement on the kestrel. I also noticed the holdover displayed in the binos matches the last distance that the kestrel had and doesn’t change in the binos but the binos will display whatever distance I range just without a proper holdover.

Has anyone run into this issue?

I just received my binos and tried pairing them with my kestrel via Bluetooth. I get the symbol showing a connection and the kestrel screen shows the fury under devices.
I am able to get one range measurement right after I establish the connection but am not able to get any measurements after that to show on the kestrel. If I let the binos go to sleep and try again the kestrel shows a BT link but the last distance will not update with new measurement on the kestrel. I also noticed the holdover displayed in the binos matches the last distance that the kestrel had and doesn’t change in the binos but the binos will display whatever distance I range just without a proper holdover.

I’ve had similar issues, was able to fix that but still having troubles with the wind holds getting progressively more off between the Kestrel and Fury AB. It must be something with the wind degree and DOF degree between the fury and kestrel. After 20 emails the Vortex customer service wasn’t able to help and told me to contact Kestrel today.

To your problem: Make sure in the kestrel to have ‘Wind/WD/WD Chg’ submenu set to ‘W/DOF’, also make sure the ‘sleep time delay’ setting in your Fury HD app settings page is set to 180 and also ‘keep devices on’ is yes. And lastly what seemed to be the most important was to make sure in the Fury app that the green binocular symbols are selected(not the pencil) and synced in the Target Parameters page and the environmentals page, at first I had the pencil symbol selected and then my fury wouldn’t update the heading and inclination. And make sure to manually enter the latitude.

I’ve had similar issues, was able to fix that but still having troubles with the wind holds getting progressively more off between the Kestrel and Fury AB. It must be something with the wind degree and DOF degree between the fury and kestrel. After 20 emails the Vortex customer service wasn’t able to help and told me to contact Kestrel today.

To your problem: Make sure in the kestrel to have ‘Wind/WD/WD Chg’ submenu set to ‘W/DOF’, also make sure the ‘sleep time delay’ setting in your Fury HD app settings page is set to 180 and also ‘keep devices on’ is yes. And lastly what seemed to be the most important was to make sure in the Fury app that the green binocular symbols are selected(not the pencil) and synced in the Target Parameters page and the environmentals page, at first I had the pencil symbol selected and then my fury wouldn’t update the heading and inclination. And make sure to manually enter the latitude.
Thanks for the info. I have isolated it to when the binos go to sleep. The kestrel will show that there’s a BT connection but when I range something the kestrel does not update with new range. The binos update with proper range but the drop it displays is from the last good connection to the kestrel. I have to turn BT off and then on on the kestrel for it to properly reconnect. Seems like the same issue I have with my terrapin.

Thanks for the info. I have isolated it to when the binos go to sleep. The kestrel will show that there’s a BT connection but when I range something the kestrel does not update with new range. The binos update with proper range but the drop it displays is from the last good connection to the kestrel. I have to turn BT off and then on on the kestrel for it to properly reconnect. Seems like the same issue I have with my terrapin.
I see. Have you had any trouble with the wind correction not lining up between the two solvers?

I spoke with Vortex customer service and they weren't able to resolve the problem and they gave up. So then I went to Kestrel and the Kestrel tech support manager was having the same problem as me with his Fury 5000AB unit and 5700 elite w/link, so he contacted AB. AB couldn't replicate the problem but they were running the old software on their 5700 elite. So then the Kestrel support tech rolled back his software on his unit and still was having the same issues. The issue is when you input wind the Kestrel and Fury will give different solutions, if no wind is inputted the system works flawlessly, it just can't handle any wind inputs. So Kestrel and Applied Ballistics is working on a fix as of now.

Not sure exactly what you mean by that? My Kestrel has the latest software on it and I don't know if/how to update software on the Fury 5000 AB.

Anytime that I have seen this is when a range is attempted prior to the Kestrel and the Fury's establishing a full connection. You may see the BT icon but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are done with their handshaking. You can easily clear the condition by toggling BT on/off on the Kestrel or Fury and then once the BT icon reappears on the Kestrel wait about 5-10 seconds before ranging. If you haven't already changed your Kestrel Data Logging rate to 2 seconds, I would highly recommend that.

Anytime that I have seen this is when a range is attempted prior to the Kestrel and the Fury's establishing a full connection. You may see the BT icon but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are done with their handshaking. You can easily clear the condition by toggling BT on/off on the Kestrel or Fury and then once the BT icon reappears on the Kestrel wait about 5-10 seconds before ranging. If you haven't already changed your Kestrel Data Logging rate to 2 seconds, I would highly recommend that.
That’s exactly what worked to solve the issue. The BT icon would show up on the kestrel but if I tried to range as soon as that occurs it will not update on the kestrel. The trick is to turn on the binos, count to 10 and then try ranging.
I do wish it was ready to go as soon as the BT icon appears because that mental count to 10 sucks. I don’t recall ever having this issue with my Sig Kilo binos but I suspect the issue is on the Kestrel with their most recent updates in three last 6 months.

Reactions: soup1005
Anybody know if I can build a gun profile for a friend's hunting rifle & shoot it over to his Fury's without messing up anything with my own Fury/AB setup?

Anybody know if I can build a gun profile for a friend's hunting rifle & shoot it over to his Fury's without messing up anything with my own Fury/AB setup?
You could pair it and do that. But how hard is it to copy the few settings over to a new app?

You could pair it and do that. But how hard is it to copy the few settings over to a new app?
I guess I don't follow, but I also don't think me question was worded very well.

He's trying to figure out if he should buy the Fury's with the AB or without, but he doesn't have a Kestrel... I have both so I'm good, just trying to help the guy out. His ultimate plan is to get his own Kestrel but money is tight, so I was just thinking of a way to get him through until then.

I guess I don't follow, but I also don't think me question was worded very well.

He's trying to figure out if he should buy the Fury's with the AB or without, but he doesn't have a Kestrel... I have both so I'm good, just trying to help the guy out. His ultimate plan is to get his own Kestrel but money is tight, so I was just thinking of a way to get him through until then.
Got it. In that case, no, you can't shoot over a ballistic profile to a non-AB fury and have it display anything.

🤦‍♂️

But can I essentially run 2 Fury AB's off 1 Kestrel?
Ah, I see what you're asking. Also no. The kestrel can only pair to one set of ABs at a time. You can however get two different firing solutions for two different profiles from one set of ABs and one Kestrel though which may be useful if you're both shooting together.

Reactions: 96C and J-Ham
Can anyone help me with dsf when I input everything and calculate it it don’t give me a button for save so I have to hit the back button then when I hit save on my gun profile and re synk or to the binos it don’t work and on the profile it still says dad no cal

Can anyone help me with dsf when I input everything and calculate it it don’t give me a button for save so I have to hit the back button then when I hit save on my gun profile and re synk or to the binos it don’t work and on the profile it still says dad no cal
Start on page 14

Any idea when they will be arriving to place an order?
Mine are on their way to me as we speak. Vortex told me they have been backordered for about a year now because they could not get the chips in. They are in the process of filling backorders now.

I sold my kestrel 5700 last year, never used jt much.
If I grab these binos, will the app act like the kestrel? If I have them BT to my phone, and range a target, will it instantly update my dope on the app on my phone?

After playing with my 5000ab, I see you can only have 3 gun profiles at a time. Kind of annoying, unless I’m missing something? Or do you just create 10 profiles and select and sync whichever you’re using?

Seems like the kestrel having all your guns stored would be easier? Or no?

After playing with my 5000ab, I see you can only have 3 gun profiles at a time. Kind of annoying, unless I’m missing something? Or do you just create 10 profiles and select and sync whichever you’re using?

Correct - You can upload the 3 you're going to use, keep the rest in your phone and sync them as required.
You can have heaps of profiles in the kestrel, they're separate.

Personally, I rarely use the actual AB system within the bino's (the wind data is difficult to use) so I use an arm board drop chart and the LRF for distance. For any tricky wind or longer range shots I'll pull out the Kestrel and use that also.

I don’t mind the only 3 on the bino I can’t think of a situation where I would need to quickly switch between 3 rifles, but I wish you could name them other than PRO A, B, C .

Reactions: 96C
Not true, according to page 16 of the manual. The solution displayed in BAL mode crunches the angle and line-of-sight distance to provide a corrected solution. Hope that helps?

Reactions: Lowdowndirtybugger
Not true, according to page 16 of the manual. The solution displayed in BAL mode crunches the angle and line-of-sight distance to provide a corrected solution. Hope that helps?
Yup
That's what I thought
The YouTuber just got it wrong.
I just bought one but I haven't had time to get it out other than shooting it across the fields by my house.
I have the regular version also and my ab version out ranges the original by several hundred yards on everything. Neither are a slouch though

Yup confirmed 12 degrees at 1150 first round hit dead center on an 18" tall rock.
Most likely would have missed the rock if it wasn't calcing for inclination

Attachments

• PXL_20230604_194917846.jpg
    PXL_20230604_194917846.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20230604_194828958.jpg
    PXL_20230604_194828958.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: krumfola
God I miss the West...
12 degrees isn't much, but good shot 😎
I finally get to push my Furys in a few weeks at an outlaw hunter-style match in NH, gonna be fun.
Was recently able to get out and find my laser is centered in the bottom-right quadrant of my reticle, and data was matching Kestrel very closely.

Reactions: Lowdowndirtybugger
God I miss the West...
12 degrees isn't much, but good shot 😎
I finally get to push my Furys in a few weeks at an outlaw hunter-style match in NH, gonna be fun.
Was recently able to get out and find my laser is centered in the bottom-right quadrant of my reticle, and data was matching Kestrel very closely.
My lasers centers in the exact same spot on both my ab version and regular version. Interesting 🤔
Yeah 12 degrees isn't much but .3 mils is still around 12.5 inches at that range..
BTW that sounds like a fun match to go to..

Reactions: StrayDog
Is there a reason to own the Applied Ballistics app if you are using the Fury HD app? Does the Fury app have the same tools as the AB app itself, or is that all hidden and built into whatever numbers the binos/app spits out at you?

Is there a reason to own the Applied Ballistics app if you are using the Fury HD app? Does the Fury app have the same tools as the AB app itself, or is that all hidden and built into whatever numbers the binos/app spits out at you?
The vortex app allows you to upload and manage your gun profiles in the binocs.

One of the benefits the AB App gives you is a range card.

The vortex app allows you to upload and manage your gun profiles in the binocs.

One of the benefits the AB App gives you is a range card.
Is there any way to keep them in sync? I don’t want to have two separate ballistic profiles for the same gun/loads that I have to keep manually updated if I can help it.

Is there any way to keep them in sync? I don’t want to have two separate ballistic profiles for the same gun/loads that I have to keep manually updated if I can help it.
Unfortunately not. They are not able to talk to each other at this time. If you want to see that feature, I would suggest emailing Vortex and letting them know.

Reactions: UpSideDown