• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Vortex Fury 5000 Range Finding Binos with Applied Ballistics

I believe and I hope the way it works is you could set up the Kestrel on a weather vane mount, set it to capture live wind end environmentals, then use the Fury 5000 to feed the Kestrel range and DOF (Direction of fire) then the Kestrel will send the solution back to the Fury. Or the Kestrel could just send the wind speed and wind direction to the Fury.
So without a kestrel with BT it may not be very useful?

So without a kestrel with BT it may not be very useful?
No I wouldn't say that! Without a Kestrel with BT you can still use it the same you just have to manually put in your wind speed and direction in which it doesn't look that hard from the videos I have watched. Keep in mind you don't have to enter wind all especially if your shooting on a calm day and there is little to no wind anyway. When I use my Kilo 3000s for deer hunting I never mess with giving them any wind input albeit I do keep my shots 500yds or less though.

Its super easy in use, using only the Fury Yes you have to manual input speed. But setting a base wind direction is quick and easy then it adjust the wind cal lit gives based on your entered wind speed and the direction you are now ranging your target

I’m interested in the idea of this and want to fully understand so bear with my ignorance. Do these factor wind similar to the way a kestrel does when you face the wind then face the target?

And If I, who only has a basic kestrel that can tell me density altitude and wind speed, and type those into my applied ballistics app on my phone, be able to get nearly everything I need from the binos short of wind speed?

Thanks and sorry for the oddly worded questions. This is seriously appealing to me since I don’t have a nice 5700 AB link kestrel yet and was about to buy a pair of fury’s anyways

I believe and I hope the way it works is you could set up the Kestrel on a weather vane mount, set it to capture live wind end environmentals, then use the Fury 5000 to feed the Kestrel range and DOF (Direction of fire) then the Kestrel will send the solution back to the Fury. Or the Kestrel could just send the wind speed and wind direction to the Fury.

The engine in the Vortex Binos with AB is the exact same engine as in the Kestrel and some other devices. It is the AB Elite Engine. So it will calculate wind the same. Wind can be set via the buttons on top of the Vortex/AB binos. Or in the app for the Vortex/AB binos. Or it can be received from the Kestrel 5700 Elite/X via a live feed. If paired to the Kestrel Elite/X Model users may choose if they want the Kestrel to perform the calculations or the Vortex/AB Binos to perform it. If you choose for the Binos to do the math, then it can still receive live wind data from the Kestrel for the calculations while performing the predictions on the Vortex/AB binos.

This video should help:

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel+Killer
I received mine today. I paired it to the app, Garmin Tactix and the Kestrel. One thing I don't see in the manuals (both Fury and Ballistics) is why it shows the word MOA in the binos when ranging. I don't recall it in the videos either but, now that they're in hand, I should watch them again.

I received mine today. I paired it to the app, Garmin Tactix and the Kestrel. One thing I don't see in the manuals (both Fury and Ballistics) is why it shows the word MOA in the binos when ranging. I don't recall it in the videos either but, now that they're in hand, I should watch them again.
How do you feel is the performance so far? I've got a set on the way for hunting and have to say, I have high hopes to streamline my hunting kit with these.

I too got them for hunting simplification. I’m shooting an NRL22 match today and will report back. I can see the bluish tint people talk about in the right barrel. I put the on a tripod and was able to hit 2200 fairly easy. I’ll compare them next to the Kilo 2400 ABS for distance measurement.

All right, here’s my take so far.

Connecting to the tactix was quick and easy. It has two settings. Both use the tactix/kestrel for environmentals when connected. One setting uses the tactix/kestrel for AB calculations and shows that result on both. The other setting uses each to calculate their own solution and display it on each device. Both modes work with the tactix.

I can connect the Kestrel via the app using the PC connect mode. The instructions say to use device mode which I’ve done. I can see the wind update in the binos when I range. Never does it show the distance or solution on the kestrel. I removed all connections and started over. When I did that I wasn’t able to reconnect the app to the binos and the screen in the binos seem to loup. I had to pull the battery to reset them. After all set up again still the same using the kestrel. I’ll call vortex and see if I can get the kestrel working the way I expected.

It would have been nice to have it working at the match. I realized I’d used the dsf on the kestrel and needed that dope and not the bino solution.

I like the wind capture mode. I do wish it was useable when connected to the watch. It’s much easier to use to set wind direction and speed than the watch. The kestrel should be much better than the binos.

The match had two metal roof buildings and they messed with the compass so I was not able to use the wind capture mode effectively.

Incidentally, the spring on the battery door fell off the cap and is loose.

My buddy has a set of these, we were able to change the display from MOA to Mils using the app on his phone in the settings. I don't have a ton of time behind them yet, but they seem very nice. We'll be using them at the Vortex Extreme Sniper Challenge in February.

The MOA thing worked itself out somehow. I’m not sure what I did.

I do wish I could download the profiles from the binos to another device. I set them up on my phone and wanted to sync the binos to my iPad but it doesn’t seem to work that way.

All right, here’s my take so far.

Connecting to the tactix was quick and easy. It has two settings. Both use the tactix/kestrel for environmentals when connected. One setting uses the tactix/kestrel for AB calculations and shows that result on both. The other setting uses each to calculate their own solution and display it on each device. Both modes work with the tactix.

I can connect the Kestrel via the app using the PC connect mode. The instructions say to use device mode which I’ve done. I can see the wind update in the binos when I range. Never does it show the distance or solution on the kestrel. I removed all connections and started over. When I did that I wasn’t able to reconnect the app to the binos and the screen in the binos seem to loup. I had to pull the battery to reset them. After all set up again still the same using the kestrel. I’ll call vortex and see if I can get the kestrel working the way I expected.

It would have been nice to have it working at the match. I realized I’d used the dsf on the kestrel and needed that dope and not the bino solution.

I like the wind capture mode. I do wish it was useable when connected to the watch. It’s much easier to use to set wind direction and speed than the watch. The kestrel should be much better than the binos.

The match had two metal roof buildings and they messed with the compass so I was not able to use the wind capture mode effectively.

Incidentally, the spring on the battery door fell off the cap and is loose.
Well it sounds like your first outing was rough at best. But, it also seems like most of your issues were with the AB connectivity. Also, the battery door which sucks and is a direct knock on QC. How did it do for ranging & spitting out an accurate firing solution though? My main use will be hunting with it, as a stand alone unit. So very little metal for compass interference or connectivity needed for my application. Thank you for the first thoughts!

I wish the glass were a bit better. My $600 Leupold tacticals have a little better glass. It gives solutions quickly and getting wind direction and speed is pretty quick with dedicated buttons.

I need to check the compass accuracy when in or standing near the truck.

Reactions: david8989
I would like to share a feature and to answer a question I have seen a couple times. With the Vortex Fury 5000 AB Binos you have the ability to choose where you get the firing solution from. So if you pair them to a Garmin or Kestrel then you can choose to run the solution from the paired device, or you can choose to run the solution internally in the Binos. Just make sure you go through the settings in the app.
View attachment 7523164
The ability to see the solution from a stationary kestrel is huge. I want one solid rangefinder with a good readout and one way to manage my gun profiles. EuroOptics had one in stock. Sold.

Last edited:
Vortex is sending a new battery cap although they don't have them in stock.

The kestrel not reading was due to ranging under 25 yards which it mentions in the manual but also says you'll get a message if it's too close. No message but it works just fine beyond 25 yards.

Dave, you can have the binos pull all environmentals from the Kestrel and show a solution in the binos and a different solution on the kestrels. So, two guys using different calibers can have a usable solution with one range.

Scott, do you know how often the laser fires on scan mode? I’m comparing to the Kilo, which I think is .25 sec.
It looks to fire about the same. I'm playing with mine now and it seems to be updating at close ranges at about that frequency. At farther ranges obviously it'll take longer as I'm sure it collects more than a single reading.

Overall I am very impressed with this unit. I really like the kestrel functionality though I'm bummed I can't connect a phone and kestrel at the same time but I do understand the hardware limitations and it doesn't hinder the experience. I have a very accurate profile set up for my .308 that I have entered in the AB calc, I'm going to take it out to just over 1000 yards this weekend and compare the two solutions.

Hey @DocUSMCRetired, wondering if you could help me out a bit. I got my new FuryAB's out today while I was gathering data and couldn't get the dope in the binos to line up with my kestrel... First off, I'm loving these binos so far, I think you guys have a winner here, and I'm sure it's me not entering in something correctly. So quick rundown of the scenario:
Watched all the tutorial videos
Read both manuals included with the binos
Used the same gun data in the binos, I've been shooting matches with all year in my kestrel so GTG
Used the AB custom curve and a fresh chrono reading from today

Was at my range trying to get the AB binos to line up with my 4dof kestrel @ 790yds. I entered the Cal screen and entered in my 2 distances and Mrad come ups for each distance, calculated, saved the MV, then sync'd to the binos. I was using a 5.6mil come up for 790yds and no matter what I did the AB binos would only read 5.8mil come up for that distance. Hope this is readable. I know it's a little bit of a learning process. I'll be going out again tomorrow and want some new things to try.

Hey @DocUSMCRetired, wondering if you could help me out a bit. I got my new FuryAB's out today while I was gathering data and couldn't get the dope in the binos to line up with my kestrel... First off, I'm loving these binos so far, I think you guys have a winner here, and I'm sure it's me not entering in something correctly. So quick rundown of the scenario:
Used the same gun data in the binos, I've been shooting matches with all year in my kestrel so GTG

Was at my range trying to get the AB binos to line up with my 4dof kestrel @ 790yds. I entered the Cal screen and entered in my 2 distances and Mrad come ups for each distance, calculated, saved the MV, then sync'd to the binos. I was using a 5.6mil come up for 790yds and no matter what I did the AB binos would only read 5.8mil come up for that distance. Hope this is readable. I know it's a little bit of a learning process. I'll be going out again tomorrow and want some new things to try.
Does your sight height from center bore match up in both models? ~1 inch at 700 or so yards would work out to be about .2 mils. Kestrel defaults to 2.75 I believe while 4DOF defaults to 1.5", I am not a betting man but that's a $20 bet I'd take.

Last edited:

This is way above my pay grade, but you are trying to get two different ballistic engines to line up perfectly.....I don't know if that is possible. If you had a AB Kestrel I could see it lining up perfectly, but 4dof and AB are two different animals.

This is way above my pay grade, but you are trying to get two different ballistic engines to line up perfectly.....I don't know if that is possible. If you had a AB Kestrel I could see it lining up perfectly, but 4dof and AB are two different animals.
That's true but inside of 1k, two reasonably well field tested models and trued shouldn't be .2 mil off. You should be getting small variations based on environmentals and BC but only should you be getting way different solutions once you get to more fringe parts of the model like subsonic correction.

Which was the true solution? 5.6 or 5.8, or another?

Another thing to consider is when holding the binos it can cause the temperature reading to be way off from the actual air temp the temp the Kestrel may be reading if so you can override the temp on the binos and use "user input temp"

Does your sight height from center bore match up in both models? ~1 inch at 700 or so yards would work out to be about .2 mils. Kestrel defaults to 2.75 I believe while 4DOF defaults to 1.5", I am not a betting man but that's a $20 bet I'd take.
Sight height is identical in both units. Which is exactly what my sight is actually at

This doesn't make any sense to me? If my drop is 5.6mils at 790yds then the brand of the calc shouldn't matter, both should be able to show the correct solution with the proper inputs...

Another thing to consider is when holding the binos it can cause the temperature reading to be way off from the actual air temp the temp the Kestrel may be reading if so you can override the temp on the binos and use "user input temp"
Thats an idea, I forgot to actually pull the environmental from the binos in the moment. Ill be sure to check that out tomorrow

If having the ab furys paired with the 5700 elite, can you pull a gun profile from the 5700 to use solely on the fury or is the fury app the only way?

You have to manually enter the profiles in the Fury app. You can't pull them from Kestrel into the app or the binos.

Ok thanks, thats what I figured. I want to upgrade my furys to these and my ab kestrel is already trued so I was hoping I could just pull from the kestrel or ab app to the fury app and not have to reenter everything and screw something up and not have them match.

Ok thanks, thats what I figured. I want to upgrade my furys to these and my ab kestrel is already trued so I was hoping I could just pull from the kestrel or ab app to the fury app and not have to reenter everything and screw something up and not have them match.
I have been just using my binos to pull and display the solution from the kestrel so you’re not totally out of luck. All in all I think that the kestrel elite is still a better calculator especially for long range as you can adjust DSF and have better environmental readings. But the ability to leave it sitting and get your readings direct in to your binos is what I love.

Attachments

• EF83B0AE-9D8F-43DF-8C60-7F2430849EE5.jpeg
    EF83B0AE-9D8F-43DF-8C60-7F2430849EE5.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 128
I got mine on order from Liberty Optics. This is what I have been waiting for in a LRF Bino. Anybody wanna buy my Sig Kilo 3000s?
Comparing the two, what do the new Fury ABs do that the Sig Kilo 3000s don't?

Fury's use AB Elite and Kilo 3000s use AB Ultralite. Is that the main difference?

Comparing the two, what do the new Fury ABs do that the Sig Kilo 3000s don't?

Fury's use AB Elite and Kilo 3000s use AB Ultralite. Is that the main difference?
Sig Kilo 3000s do not have any built in environmental sensors or built in compass to detect the DOF. With AB Ultralight they will only give a firing solution to 800yds unless connected to a Kestrel.

Thank you!

Good to know since EuroOptic is advertising $200 off the Kilo 3000s right now.

I am interested in how well the Bluetooth works? Is it easy to connect and reconnect? I have a 3000BDX and the Bluetooth is pretty good. I have heard that the Leica units had some complaints. The Vortex has a full onboard AB so that is a plus. You would only need Bluetooth to get data from the Kestrel.

This Vortex seems like a good option if the workflow to a solution is seamless when getting data from the Kestrel. Has anybody used it with a Garmin 701 yet?

It's been very seamless for me for both the Tactix and Kestrel. It's quick and stays connected. I've not tried the 3000 or Leica so I can't compare.

If having the ab furys paired with the 5700 elite, can you pull a gun profile from the 5700 to use solely on the fury or is the fury app the only way?
being that they use the exact same solver, if you input the exact data that is in your kestrel into the fury's you should get identical solutions, without have to true the solver in the fury's again. still have to manually input, but at least it should save you the time from having to true it.

Can someone explain why they would spend the money on a rangefinder with AB built in and connect to a kestrel with.. ab built in? Why complicate the situation with 2 devices?

I can think of a couple reasons. One, the Kestrel will more quickly have environmentals whereas the Fury must come up/down to temp since the sensors are internal. The second, and most interesting to me, is that you can use one profile on the Fury and another on the Kestrel and, with one click of a button to range a target, have two different sets of DOPE for two different guns/shooters. Think multiple targets for two guys.

being that they use the exact same solver, if you input the exact data that is in your kestrel into the fury's you should get identical solutions, without have to true the solver in the fury's again. still have to manually input, but at least it should save you the time from having to true it.
Yep I get that. I was just hoping you could use the kestrel profile since I already have it done or copy and paste between the apps so there was no error in the data entry. Not a deal breaker, just trying to eliminate my possibility of errors.

Can someone explain why they would spend the money on a rangefinder with AB built in and connect to a kestrel with.. ab built in? Why complicate the situation with 2 devices?
I did it just to save the time of having to plug the range into the solver. I still use the kestrel for my solution. As I play with it more I will compare the solutions and if it has parity I still stop carrying the kestrel as my primary. I wanted a pair of binoculars and a more capable range finder and this popped up at the right time. I couldn’t see it being worth it if you already have a capable rangefinder, binos, and good solver with quality atmospherics.

I can think of a couple reasons. One, the Kestrel will more quickly have environmentals whereas the Fury must come up/down to temp since the sensors are internal. The second, and most interesting to me, is that you can use one profile on the Fury and another on the Kestrel and, with one click of a button to range a target, have two different sets of DOPE for two different guns/shooters. Think multiple targets for two guys.

I get you might not want to swing your binos around like a kestrel.....will they connect to a Garmin Tempe?

How important is having the Kestrel to pair with these? I don’t like buying anything unnecessary but it seems the environmentals could be lacking in the Vortex? I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

I don't think they're lacking it's just that it would take a few minutes to get them to accurate info if going from a warm truck to cold outside or vice versa. I don't plan to use them with my Kestrel when hunting.

As I research the Fury 5000 AB more completely I'm beginning to understand its capabilities and some of the use cases.

I spent some time on the Kestrel website as well and the 5700 Elite definitely provides more environmentals but the Fury AB seems to have the most significant sensors built it. So my initial assessment is that the Fury 5000 AB with its internal compass and Wind Bearing Capture Mode can provide an accurate firing solution with wind correction without being paired to a Kestrel. I realize I'll still have to manually input wind speed into the Fury AB, but the Fury AB will keep track of wind direction and that's a biggie.

My initial use case is an upcoming field match where obtaining a firing solution quickly is important because everything is done on the clock. There will be no metal buildings to mess with the compass. And the sensors in the Fury AB will be stabilized in the environment because I'll be out in the field all day. And not having to mess with 2 devices (Kestrel and rangefinder) seems like a plus. I want to simplify the workflow as much as possible and the Fury AB seems to fit the bill.

Am I coming to a reasonable conclusion regarding the capabilities of the Fury AB? Before I go and drop the coin on these I want to have confidence they'll do what I need.

Thanks. Vortex seems to be the first to really put together a product that integrates the separate pieces.

You shoulda seen me chasing prairie dogs 2 years ago. Locate them with binocs. Range them. Check wind with my Kestrel 1000. Get a firing solution on my phone app. By that time the little varmint would often duck back down in his burrow. Arrgh. Yes it was kind of a comedy but I still managed to connect with some pretty impressive shots.