• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Vortex Fury HD LRF Binos

Kopfjager1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2017
As with the new announcements from Vortex, the new Fury HD 5000 state they have a 5-5000 yard capability on reflective targets and 5-1600 yards on deer. I just received an email from CS says the beam divergence is 1.5 x 0.1 mRad horizontal oval. Which is a lot smaller than Sigs 2400 ABS at 1.3 mRad and Leicas HD-B at 2.7 x 1.0 mRad and similar to Vectronix Terrapin at 1.2 x 0.5 mRad.

Seems like the capability is there, and at a price point of 1599, and SportOptics already pricing them at 1199, I think it will be a real contender for LRFs. Hopefully we'll see some more in depth reviews during Industry day before shot.

Wonder what wavelength and wattage the laser is pushing. Read the manual and it’s a class1 but no other details.

Reactions: mjsand44
For strict range use, sure, but backcountry hunting where weight and compactness is a factor, 10x42 is the perfect size, in my opinion. At 15x , tripod or other steady support is required or at least highly recommended.
yeah, like spotting at matches. LRF binos instead of spotter and lrf seperate. also why i said option not instead of

I'm so glad I cancelled my Sig 3000BDX order, I think these are the LRF Bino's I've been waiting for, I felt the Fury HD was a bit early and had a weak LRF unit but glass was pretty decent. Hoped they would come out with an AMG version of the LRF Bino's but maybe next year.

I have one on order so I am excited to get it in and play with it. As Gina said if you can get rocks and bushes to 3000 yards then that is great performance especially at the price.

I'll be at SHOT next week and will get in line to check 'em out.

Interesting.
I understand the Horizontal Component Distance (HCD) mode compensates for true distance, curious if it displays the angle in the display ??

Thank you.

Interesting.
I understand the Horizontal Component Distance (HCD) mode compensates for true distance, curious if it displays the angle in the display ??

Thank you.
I would love for it to not do compensation and still show the angle in the display, when using ballistic apps you do NOT want a compensated distance from the LRF, you want to plug the actual distance along with the angle so the ballistics app can not only compensate for vertical drop but also for wind and if you use a compensated number in your ballistics app your wind values will be off.

Very interested in any updates/impressions on these. Have a set of Bushnell Fusion 1 miles I'm looking to upgrade. Thought about a set of Leica HD-B's, but don't feel like spending that much money on them as often as new rangefinders are coming out. If the Fury 5000 has decent glass and good laser performance, they might be my next purchase...

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
Saw a few vendors post this week that they had the new Fury HD 5000 in and ready to ship. Anyone received a set to play with yet?

I'd really like to hear some feedback before jumping in.

The Leica HD-B 3000 has much smaller beam divergence than you quoted. It is exactly the same as the vectronix. The leicas are also more than double the price. It is great to see this field expanding so much.

Reactions: deersniper
Got my set of Fury 5000s in the other day. I haven't been able to stretch it out yet but just unboxing and getting it set up. Easy to work through the menu to set illumination level and other functions. Glass in the binos is great also. They make a great observation tool when not ranging.

Comes with caps for the bino to protect glass, a real nice padded case and straps for different carrying including a chest carry. For the price and performance I think Vortex will have a winner here.

IMG_2344.JPG
IMG_2345.JPG

Keep us updated, I'm standing by to order a set for myself and another for a friend within the next couple weeks!

Besides laser performance, how touchy is the focus and depth of field? Do you constantly have to be playing with the focus while looking around, or is it pretty forgiving?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob01
I was about to order the teripin x but I bumped into the vortex rep and asked him about the furry 5000. He stated that the unlimited life time warranty covers the electronics as well as the glass. He stated that he was not aware of another company that had the same coverage on electronics. I asked if they could etch a reticle in the left eye. (As they offer it in their vipers) He stated that he would contact his supervisor. He got back to me the next day and said that etching a reticles would be possible. It’s not blue tooth to the kestrel but I ordered one anyway.

Reactions: jafo96
Hot damn
I was seriously considering a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, and a seperate rangefinder, but this may have swayed me. Really want to get a set in hand to see how the glass is.

@Rob01 or anyone else who may have a set of these by now, any updates yet on real world performance of the laser and glass? You happy with them?

I have to find a place long enough to test the laser but the reports above are real world in that they easily do over 3000 yards. The glass is really nice and what you would expect in a set of binos in this price range. Plan on playing with them at a match next weekend.

Reactions: Sportin Wood
Great info, been looking for an option like this.... real world reviews please

Any real world updates and most importantly, did anyone receive a firm answer on the possibility of the reticle and price??
Thinking of selling my ConX and Vortex binocs and ordering Monday when they open.....
I called today, closed weekends.

hand held last weekend i was able to range individual people reliably in a sparse crowd at 1350 and side of buildings out to 3500. i think it was limited by shaky hands more than the laser but didn’t have tripod with me on this trip. i wish the glass was a bit nicer, but at this price point it’s a very compelling package. realistically 98% of my ranging is inside 1000 yards and i hope to never need another finder for 10 years :p

i did manage to get into low battery after a weekend of heavy playing, so battery might be short with a powerful laser or it might just be the crap battery everything ships with. 2 days is plenty either way with a small spare batt in stock.

Reactions: Stevo3556
Im curious what the glass would be comparable to? Im looking for a good pair of Binos for hunting (Conquest, Trinovid, etc.) but also need a LRF. Im wondering if the glass on these would be good for hunting, or if going the route of Bushnell Forge and a Leica 2400 is a better option.

i found ranging through 10x power binos versus a tiny and usually relatively crappy glassed 6,7,8x lrf was so much easier that i’m sold on the combo. go look through vortex viper hd binos, they’re identical to my eyes.

if you can afford and want better glass, there are options available but it’s a big step up in price and the lasers aren’t as good until they inevitably refresh those.

I played around today in town when bringing the kids to the movie theater. I got buildings sides of buildings at 600 yds cause thats the furthest building there was, but was ranging trees on the horizon at 1611 yds repeatedly. I will drive to the hilltop tomorrow and try ranging overlooking town to see just how far these will work. I may need to get an adaptor for tripod use too!!

Reactions: Stevo3556
Just got off the phone with Vortex....

Asked about the possibility of having a reticle etched in the Fury. I was told that it was not available. When I mentioned that they had done that in their Viper series I was told that was an exclusive for Optics Planet for their old Viper series. So unless something changes it is not available. Maybe if you buy in the quantities of Optics Planet it might be considered.

Mine will be shipped tomorrow.

Time to sell my rangefinder and Vortex binocs.....

Bad news, Vortex now collects tax on all products even shipped out of the state of Wisconsin....

Steve

Last edited:
That tax thing is not only Vortex. It's a national thing with that started the first of the year. I think it was a court case thing as PSA started it and had something on their site about it. Sucks but no way around it.

I realize it isn't a Vortex thing, however, not everyone is doing this, yet... Don't blame Vortex, I'm a huge Vortex fan.

Yes it is over the SD court case.

How good is the glass in these? Are they good enough for hunting elk in the Rockies? I’m getting back into hunting this year and looking for a set of binoculars. My current set is a sub $100 bushnell 10x42 that honestly suck pretty bad. I also use a Leica 1600b but would be nice to have only 1 optic for hunting that ranges and glasses.

I looked through an older set of fury’s at cabelas last week and could not tell a difference between them and the razors, leupolds, and cabelas branded Meoptas. Obviously bright light indoors and less that 100yds

How good is the glass in these? Are they good enough for hunting elk in the Rockies? I’m getting back into hunting this year and looking for a set of binoculars. My current set is a sub $100 bushnell 10x42 that honestly suck pretty bad. I also use a Leica 1600b but would be nice to have only 1 optic for hunting that ranges and glasses.

I looked through an older set of fury’s at cabelas last week and could not tell a difference between them and the razors, leupolds, and cabelas branded Meoptas. Obviously bright light indoors and less that 100yds

I have only looked through them briefly but from what I saw and from everything Vortex has stated they are the same optically as the previous Furys. The big difference with the old Furys is the significantly improved ranging capability and speed.

Optically they should be about the same as the Viper binos which is very good but a notch below the Razors and the Meostars.

Furys will be here today if anyone has any questions I can answer with them in my hands.

Sorry I can't answer are they good enough for elk hunting in the Rockies. Have never elk hunted or been to the Rockies to hunt. I could complete a detailed report if you wanna send me........:D

Steve

Having used mine for a day of shooting not just playing at ranging I was able to easily range steel out to 1266 on a tripod even in fairly heavy mirage and then we compared to some GPS coordinates. They agreed within a yard all the way out. My only complaint is that the actual point of the beam appears to be at the bottom of the "circle" indicating what its ranging, so if there was brush in front of the target it would often pick that up unless I aimed at the "top" of the steel. Easy to do now that I know, was just a little confusing at first.

Still happy with 'em

Last edited:
My only complain is that the actual point of the beam appears to be at the bottom of the "circle" indicating what its ranging, so if there was brush in front of the target it would often pick that up unless I aimed at the "top" of the steel. Easy to do now that I know, was just a little confusing at first.
This is true with many rangefinders even some of the higher end units. The reticle/aiming points are often significantly larger than the laser beam and don't always line up perfectly. You need to find where your laser is in relation to the reticle.

Reactions: anotherwannabe
300 yards was 4 inch round
600 yards was 8 inch round
800 yards was 12x18 ipsc
1266 was 24x24 square all hung from chains.
Mirage wasn't an issue <=600, noticable at 800 and was impossible to see impacts happen at 1266.

There is a feature on the fury called "scan" mode, where its constantly ranging and you just sort of wiggle the reticle around and it continuously updates. Using that makes it easy to double check you're getting the target you want versus fore and rear foliage or whatever since you move above the target you expect the number to go up, in front the target it goes down. Turns out to be more useful than expected for double checking.

Thank you. I'm shooting out to 1500 yards at 18X30" targets. Hope to be going to a mile this summer. Looks like it will work great for me.

I might get up to Triple C range in Cressen, TX this month. Will be able to test out to 2k if so, will report back.

Thanks. If it is dry enough here in the Houston area will will be testing this Saturday. Doesn't look promising..... Have had many full days of fog as well.